Author Topic: Opalescent Reflections  (Read 58551 times)

Evil Imperial

• Corporal
  • Destroying all who dare to oppose me
Re: Opalescent Reflections
« Reply #780 on: 27 April 2024, 15:44:17 »
hey, 57 Phennigs AND a stick of gum...That's like hardcore Charity right there.

57 Phennigs more than I thought. At least we got a Kowloon reference, thanks drakensis.
Conjurer (Hellhound) = Wolverine IIC
Proof:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090213010515/http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42093.0/all.html

I mean, you are telling physics to go screw itself with enough power to let you travel faster than light, its going to fight back as best as it can. - VhenRa, on TDS

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #781 on: 27 April 2024, 15:55:39 »
On Kowloon, that's all pity... no sane person would claim relation to the guy they hang in effigy every year.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #782 on: 27 April 2024, 16:35:41 »
I'm guessing it's from other foreigners stuck on Kowloon.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #783 on: 27 April 2024, 16:46:51 »
That's the best guess so far, especially considering the recent conquest...

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #784 on: 27 April 2024, 19:29:32 »
Don't forget, it could be the orderlies seeing him as a charity case.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

The Wobbly Guy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #785 on: 27 April 2024, 20:47:35 »
Actually, in the foreword of the House Davion sourcebook, the writer says the following:

On a personal note, I would like to thank ComStar Director Julian Tiepolo for entrusting me with this project. Not only was it a great personal honor to serve ComStar—and truth—in this way, but it also gave me the opportunity to research the factual history of my purported ancestor, Stefan Amaris.
—Anastasia Marcus, Historical Director, Davion Research Project, ComStar Archives, Terra, 3028

So it's highly probable there are actual descendants of Stefan Amaris around, children born from his concubines.

What's funny is that they (the steel vipers) thought there was just one descendant. How does that make sense at all?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #786 on: 27 April 2024, 20:57:10 »
Actually, in the foreword of the House Davion sourcebook, the writer says the following:

So it's highly probable there are actual descendants of Stefan Amaris around, children born from his concubines.

What's funny is that they (the steel vipers) thought there was just one descendant. How does that make sense at all?
Your asking Clanners, who engage in blood libel, to make sense?  Remember, in the canon, a Steel Viper Khan is out hunting anyone tangentially related to the Wolverines, including family lines that didn't migrate with Kerensky.

Yesterday you didn't know what 'Clans' were, this morning you're being murdered because the second cousin of one of your ancestors was part of the not-named clan over 200 years ago.

D'ya really think people who'll do that, wouldn't do the same over anyone faintly maybe-related-kinda to Stephan Amaris??

That's the best guess so far, especially considering the recent conquest...

It's not MY version of Kowloon, it's Drakensis' version, there are going to be differences, including his being a Kowloon that would actually survive as a habitable place after being conquered rather than needing the Clan version of 'Exterminatus' before they'll surrender.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #787 on: 27 April 2024, 22:48:31 »

Worse, in this case, they're not just going for descendants of Stefan Amaris, but, just ask Kerensky had all members of the Amaris family that the SLDF could find executed, the Clans have pledged to eliminate anyone with any blood or genetic relation to Stefan Amaris.  That means going back to common ancestors.

That doesn't take long: in the real world, you need only go back to the ninth century for everyone of European descent to have a common set of ancestors, even if in many cases they no longer have any of their genetic material.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #788 on: 28 April 2024, 01:05:13 »
Also from House Davion:

It is with some embarrassment that I come to the subject of my own ancestry. When Kerensky’s troops slaughtered everyone in the Rim Worlds that bore the name Amaris, they overlooked maternal cousins with names like Siever, Wong, Chan, and Marcus.

With the danger of being even distantly related to Amaris, people with those names fled the Rim Worlds. My own family settled in the Outworlds Alliance. I honestly do not know if I am a descendant of Stefan the Usurper. Genealogical records that might have cleared up my ancestry were destroyed in the aftermath of the war. It is a reflection of my parents’ macabre sense of humor that they named me Anastasia, after the Terran legend of Anastasia Romanov, daughter of the last Russian Czar.

Our research has resolved one matter, however. No conclusive link can be found between Amaris and anyone still living. With such total lack of pedigree, anyone claiming relationship to Amaris, let alone claiming leadership to any of the Rim Worlds (now the Bandit Kingdoms) on the basis of such a claim, can be assumed to be a pretender or a usurper. We can hope that the shame that my putative kinsman brought to the Periphery will never be revived, and that the carnage he brought to the Inner Sphere will never be forgotten.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #789 on: 28 April 2024, 07:55:43 »
As Cannonshop mentioned, a "conclusive link" isn't remotely necessary for the clanners...

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #790 on: 28 April 2024, 08:01:17 »
As Cannonshop mentioned, a "conclusive link" isn't remotely necessary for the clanners...

Canon clanners are different from Ngoverse clanners.

And they had no reason to NOT want very good evidence before they believed a disgraced former warrior.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #791 on: 28 April 2024, 08:33:12 »
Clanners have devolved to warcrime babies.  Using the excuse of honor to murder.  Hell, any related to the subject the Ghost Bears had entire class of cadet age siblings commite ritual suicide because they were from a tainted ancientry, reaving them.

A sick sort of justice in the setting for sure in Canon. Just another reason not like Clan culture. Why I think ilClan era is going have some nasty landmines fictional wise to come.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #792 on: 28 April 2024, 10:38:29 »
Canon clanners are different from Ngoverse clanners.

And they had no reason to NOT want very good evidence before they believed a disgraced former warrior.

Yah, Canon are worse.  that doesn't apply here, these are Drakensis Clanners, as in, 'not Ngoverse' , so the comparison really doesn't matter between how I write the Clans, vs. how the Canon writes them.

What matters, is how Drakensis writes them.  however, the lack of 'conclusive proof' is actually Canon with the Clans, whose justice system really does boil down, not to 'find the guilty' but instead, 'find someone to punish so the civilians know we're serious'.

It's open to further discovery how Drakensis views that, and whether it's a quirk of SOME clans and not others, or if it's universal, and if so, how bad is it?  but given how many generations since the Amaris War, and they're still punishing people?  or how far afield Breen's little murder mission has to go to find what she's after?  Or, that they're even still looking?

That's what the man would call an 'indicator'.  we're talking more than ten generations, even the historical Mongols stopped at three, even the third reich stopped before then with their 'blood purity' laws.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Seydlitz

• Corporal
« Reply #793 on: 28 April 2024, 12:15:44 »
Clanners have devolved to warcrime babies.  Using the excuse of honor to murder.  Hell, any related to the subject the Ghost Bears had entire class of cadet age siblings commite ritual suicide because they were from a tainted ancientry, reaving them.

A sick sort of justice in the setting for sure in Canon. Just another reason not like Clan culture. Why I think ilClan era is going have some nasty landmines fictional wise to come.

What sibko did the Ghost Bears reave? I don't recall that right off hand.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #794 on: 28 April 2024, 12:40:41 »
It was in the novel Betrayal of Ideals.  An adopted Wolverine scientist used Wolverine genes in several sibkos. 
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #795 on: 28 April 2024, 13:10:55 »
as much fun as it might be to go into the pseudoscientific ideas underlying the Clans and their Eugenics program (and believe me, it is fun to dismantle this kind of shit), the fact is, we're distracting from the story and I'd like to see how the story plays out.

can we table it for now?  I know I've made the mistake of encouraging the tangent, and I apologize to everyone for that.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #796 on: 28 April 2024, 13:36:58 »
Agreed!

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #797 on: 30 April 2024, 00:27:42 »
Opalescent Reflections

Full House
Chapter 10

Dali, Tamar
Clan Wolf Occupation Zone
9 March 3058

“I’m pretty sure this is the place I’m least useful right now,” Natasha told Ulric in lieu of any greeting as she entered his office. Judging by her rumpled jumpsuit and the duffel bag she tossed into a corner of the room, she had come straight from the dropship that had brought her back from Rasalhague. “Rasalhague is a lot closer to all those ComStar enclaves along the periphery border - places we could be picking off now that we don’t have to play nice with the Robes any more.”

“The situation is a little more complicated than that,” Ulric told her, gesturing towards the couch. He went to the mini-fridge and pulled out two bottles of Timbiqui Dark.

“You’re sharing the good stuff?” Natasha exclaimed, snatching both from his hands. “We must be in trouble - get one for yourself.”

“Thank you,” he said sarcastically. “I will.” There had only been four bottles of Timiqui Dark left in the fridge. Ulric made a mental note to restock, and possibly to branch out into other beers. There had to be some limit to the ducal cellars and he wasn’t getting any more Timbiqui Dark shipped in - the planet was well beyond the truceline.

By the time Ulric had opened his own bottle, Natasha was halfway through her first. “So what is so sensitive that I had to wait to come here for you to tell me?” she demanded.

“Less sensitive and waiting for more information to arrive,” he told her. “Tamar is reasonably central so even with half the HPGs out of action news is getting through.”

She waved the bottle she hadn’t opened yet in a ‘get on with it gesture’, the other bottle currently occupying her mouth.

“Don’t open that now,” Ulric warned, looking at the closed bottle. He didn’t need his office sprayed with beer. “The interdiction isn’t our only problem right now. We’ve lost other HPGs at both ends of the occupation zone and that may get worse before it gets better.”

“Who’s attacking them?” Natasha asked, setting the empty bottle aside.

“At the rimwards edge, units operating under the banner of the Star League.” The invasion had begun with the goal of restoring the Star League and apparently the Clans had succeeded… by uniting the Inner Sphere against them. “Mercenary units hired by the FedCom hit two sites, another was attacked by a Capellan Confederation Warrior House… one orbital platform was stormed by Taurian commandos of all people.”

“Taurians are fighting for the Star League? That’s bull.”

Ulric stared at her. “I assume that that was a joke, because I’m serious.”

“Taurians hate the Star League.”

“I’m with you so far, but how do the Zeerga fit in with that?”

“The Taurians also have a bull on their banner,” Natasha said slowly, as if to a child.

“Oh, yes I had forgotten.” He shook his head. “It’s not severed communication with the worlds facing the Inner Sphere yet, but it’s causing more problems and I believe it’s the prelude to an attempt to take worlds back from us. Clan Ghost Bear has reported attacks on their worlds and for all that the Smoke Jaguars are staying quiet about it, they have also been hit. We are probably next.”

Natasha tapped her fingers against the second bottle of beer. “How about the other Clans?”

“The Watch isn’t sure about the Sharks, but they have other problems - the Hells Horses and the Ice Hellions are launching trials of possession for their coreward occupation zone.”

“Whoever loses, we win?”

“On balance,” the younger (but senior) khan observed, “I would prefer the Sharks win since the other two would likely push for invading further. But I do not care enough to intercede, even if it were not for our own problems. As for the other flank, as far as I can tell the Jade Falcons have not been attacked and the Nova Cats are being very quiet about it if they are. The Steel Vipers are so far away that we can’t tell.”

“No rumors on Strana Mechty?” Natasha cracked the lid on the beer bottle, to Ulric’s horror. However, she had timed it well and the froth barely began to spill out of the neck before she took a gulp from the bottle.

“If so, we have no way to find out,” he admitted. “Our HPG links back to the homeworlds have been cut. The last reports from Sigma Galaxy,” the garrison force for the former pirate realms just beyond the edge of the Inner Sphere, “were shortly before you set out from Rasalhague. Since then there has been no response from their HPGs.”

She scowled. “It could be a deep strike by the Inner Sphere. There are ComStar enclaves they could stage from. But there’s a more likely candidate.”

“The Zeerga,” Ulric agreed. “I am beginning to wish I sabotaged their dropships when we sent them back to the homeworlds. The Clan Council would have crucified me for it back then, but the Clan as a whole would be better off.”

“Can’t change the past,” Natasha said pragmatically. “So assuming that it is them…?”

“It is. They attacked Star’s End three days ago, and the Full Moon was unloading workers for the yards. Fortunately the Star Admiral knew his duty and jumped out without waiting to see how the fighting turned out, then sent an HPG to the nearest worlds.”

“Not a good start,” she said thoughtfully. “Sigma could have fought to the last or they could have flipped sides. Probably something in the middle, but that still means that the Zeerga could add a couple more Clusters of equipment to their roster. I assume they can find warriors for those cockpits - at least some of Sigma will flip sides and they seized cadets from other clans who would have passed their trials by now.”

“Being taken as isorla is not precisely ‘flipping sides’,” Ulric reminded her.

“Either way, that’s the real threat. Rasalhague is our best bet for a base in the area now,” Natasha decided. “Phelan’s got the place more or less under control and the Smoke Jaguars aren’t likely to try and take it back with their frontline forces under attack. But Beta Galaxy won’t be enough on its own to deal with the Zeerga.”

Ulric nodded in agreement. “I am mobilizing Alpha and Epsilon Galaxies to rendezvous at Rasalhague,” he confirmed and then raised his own half-empty bottle before she could speak up. “I will take command of the force personally. I need you to take charge of our remaining forces facing the Inner Sphere. We cannot command them from Tamar with the HPGs under attack.”

“Beta Galaxy is my command,” she protested, rising to her feet.

“You are Khan first, Galaxy Commander second,” Ulric told her, remaining seated rather than rise to the provocation. “Gamma and Delta Galaxies were the hardest hit by the Zeerga’s formation, they are barely up to strength and they will have to be the backbone of defending the occupation zone.”

Natasha shook her head. “I can kick the Zeerga’s asses while you do that.”

“Perhaps,” he allowed. “But I think Radick and Ward would not stand and fight against you - if you are in the coreward worlds then they’ll try to bypass you to get at Tamar… and at me.”

That gave her pause. “Are you sure about that or is it guilt talking?”

“You know the two of them almost as well as I do, Natasha. Their anger drives them and I am the one who ordered their exile. If I go corewards to meet them then they will be eager for a confrontation, which means that for the most part they will be trying to engage me rather than driving deeper. That preserves our logistics and communications - which is all that we may have until we can contact the homeworlds again.”

“And if I bring Delta and Gamma back to reinforce you? We can afford to lose worlds to the Inner Sphere.”

“We could have,” Ulric allowed. “But someone pushed for us to settle enclaves of our own people alongside Rasalhaguans. For all I know, our enclaves in the homeworlds are being overrun right now - all that remains of Clan Wolf may be here in the occupation zones. We cannot afford to lose those skilled workers. If there is an offensive, we may lose worlds but you must evacuate the civilians.”

“I am not the best of strategists,” Natasha warned him. “I can kick their asses on the battlefield, but the Inner Sphere has leaders who can think rings around me.”

“I am painfully aware of that.” There was a flash of annoyance in his saKhan’s eyes when he did not dispute her self-depreciation. “Erik will be there, and I am sending Katya as well. I know that you can take advice. Most importantly, the Inner Sphere knows of your legend. If I command there, I am just another Khan of the Clans - perhaps a more successful one than most. But if the Black Widow is there? You have been their benchmark for generations. Even now, years after you rejoined us, every young cadet in their academies dreams of being the ‘next Natasha Kerensky’.”

“I’m not a sibkid, Ulric. You can’t win me over with flattery.”

The khan sat back in his chair and looked at her. “You think you are no longer up to the challenge, quineg?”

For a moment he saw fury coil behind Natasha’s eyes and then she laughed. “Damn you, Ulric. I know that you are playing me.”

He said nothing.

“When I went to Rasalhague, I thought… I always planned to die fighting the Smoke Jaguars, with ‘Rilla admittedly.” Natasha shook her head. “We both know how that worked out.”

“I miss her too.”

“Alright, Khan Ulric Kerensky.” Natasha Kerensky met his gaze. “I will take this mission. But I will fight it my way, with no attempts at managing me.”

“Natasha, you took a handful of misfits and forged the Black Widow Company. Then you took the shattered survivors of the Fourth Succession War and built the Black Widow Battalion, the teeth of the Wolf Dragoons.” Ulric lifted his almost empty bottle and drained it. “Now you have five galaxies of our warriors, from the best to the worst. Impress me.”

Proximity Jump Point, Huntress
Kerensky Cluster, Clan Homeworlds
16 March 3058

Tyra felt the disconcerting buzz of the jump fade and a moment later the heavy mechanical systems of the hangar door began to grind open. There were more sophisticated ways to handle what amounted to several hatches laid over each other but most of them risked failure under the electromagnetic effects of a Kearny-Fuchida drive. That wasn't acceptable when you were trying to make a combat jump, so the old ways were still used.

The outermost door was the simplest, a single heavy panel, and thus the slowest. Both the other redundant coverage that provided armor over the hangar's entrance were wide open before the outer door was fully recessed... and Tyra's Cor-Star was ready to go.

Scant heartbeats after the door locked open and the catapult hurled the fighter free of its home, driving Tyra herself deep into the acceleration couch of her cockpit. Shuttles might drift out of their hangars in a leisurely fashion, but aerospace fighters needed to out and free of the ship fast enough that they could use their fusion thrusters fast. Getting caught crawling away from a dropship - or in this case the mountainous white hull of CSS Boise - could be deadly, while firing up the thrusters inside of the hangar...

Well, if you didn't kill yourself then the owner of the ship would probably do it for you. Fuson thrusters were nothing to play around with.

This had been a good launch. Tyra saw the radar return of the Boise recede behind her but even after reaching a safe distance she still spun the Cor-Star on maneuvering thrusters before igniting the main engines. There were other fighters behind her, and even if they didn't run into her exhaust, putting it right in their eyes could lead to lethal mistakes.

IFF beacons began to spring to life as electronic interference cleared up, It would take a while before they were reliable though and Tyra focused on her sensors instead. Destroyer after destroyer was jumping in - the proximity point was large enough for the whole fleet but jumping all of them in at once would still be stupidly risky.

Another destroyer appeared in a blazing bubble of light, bringing the total up to five. One more and the entire warship squadron would be present. Boise and Anchorage were already transmitting, ordering their division mates and the squadrons of the Flying Drakons to spread out and cover the space around the proximity point.

Another destroyer erupted into the Huntress star system, which was everyone. Only one destroyer was out of position, which would probably get the commander a roasting by Beresick but didn’t really matter. “Valkyrie squadron,” Tyra ordered, “Form on me and…”

The brilliant light storm of another K-F drive arriving erupted and Tyra’s mental headcount stuttered. There were only six destroyers in the fourth, but now there were seven! “Hostile warship!” she snarled. “I repeat, hostile warship.”

The third division lead was bringing up her IFF, identifying herself as CSS San Francisco. Electronics still weren’t enough so Tyra whipped her Cor-Star around, using maximum magnification on visual to verify the four destroyers yet to identify themselves.

“Sighting, X-43, Y-170!” came a cry. “Essex-class destroyer!”

Tyra brought her fighter’s nose to bear in the designated direction. Ahead of her, the destroyer’s shape sprang into life - a gray whale of space. She could only see the edge of the Clan banner marked on the hull but she knew what it was. What other Clan would have a warship in the Huntress system? It had to be a Smoke Jaguar.

Then the ship rolled as it began to maneuver to fight - outnumbered six to one, the destroyer had no choice but surrender would probably not even cross its commander’s mind. Then Tyra saw the patchwork repairs on the hull and her mind went back to the last time she’d seen a Smoke Jaguar warship from the outside.

“Valkyrie Lead to all Drakons!” Her voice was a shriek. “That’s the Saber Cat!”

She throttled up without waiting for orders. Without issuing orders. Were any orders needed when the killer of Reykjavik was in front of them?

Aerospace slashed across space towards the enemy warship. She had likely been on standby and her hangar bays were opening but no fighters emerged. Likely the pilots were still scrambling into flight suits.

Beresick tried to command them but no one in the six squadrons was listening. “Watch for fighters,” Tyra warned over the voice of the ComStar officer. “If you’re carrying a missile, you’re on attack, if you’re not then cover us.”

Her Cor-Star was one of the fortunate ones that was loaded for Jaguar. Kungsarme doctrine had changed since the losses they’d taken in the early 3050s. The theory was that the fighters that had gone after the Saber Cat over Rasalhague had been too slow, that faster fighters could have got through with fewer losses and more missiles on target. The interceptors were too small to carry nuclear-tipped missiles. Heavy attack birds didn’t have the thrust-to-weight demanded. But a fast mid-sized fighter like Tyra’s Cor-Star was ideal.

The gun crews aboard the Sabre Cat were faster to react than their pilots. Massive guns opened up, raking space around the destroyer. Tyra wasn’t sure if the salvos were aimed at the ComStar destroyers or the inbound fighters - all were in the same direction, although the friendly destroyers were spreading out so that they could try to open fire without shooting through the Flying Drakons.

“Duck and weave!” Tyra ordered her squadron. The shots from the destroyer’s main guns were unlikely to score hits unless the fighters were careless - but right now, she was forced to admit that the Kungsarme pilots may not be thinking all that clearly. “Watch out for escort dropships!” The Saber Cat had lacked its own anti-fighter armament, relying on its fighters and a handful of Titan dropships. But she saw no such escorts now.

“None visible!” called Kapten Pedersen, whose squadron of interceptors were in the lead.

There was an explosion as one of the Flying Drakons didn’t dodge fast enough, intersecting with one of the naval lasers being fired at them. The beam was enough all on its own to destroy the Shilone. Tyra felt a shiver go through her - that fighter had been little different from the one she had flown before. But that was the only casualty and then they crossed the theoretical line that was the maximum effective range of their external payloads.

“All officers,” shouted Overste-Lojtnant Genna Lindstrom. The Flying Drakons’ commander’s voice was shrill. “We may need a second strike!”

Tyra’s thumb hovered over the trigger for her one missile for a long moment… and then, with herculean effort, she forced it aside and fired her lasers instead. The two extended range weapons slashed at the heavy plating of the destroyer, without visible effect.

Nine missiles broke free of their parent aerospace fighters, accelerating towards the Saber Cat. “Break!” Tyra ordered her squadron and yanked on the control stuck, feeling momentum drag her towards the side of the cockpit as the Cor-Star angled away from the destroyer and then began to arc around, fighting against the force it had already built up, forces that would have sent the fighter streaking past Saber Cat and off into the depths of the star system.

Silent flashes of light marked the detonations of the warheads. Outmassed a hundred thousand times by their target, they nonetheless struck the ship like hammer blows.

What emerged from the hellstorm was barely recognisable as a warship. Grey paint had been stripped away, deep crevices driven into the hull where fires blazed, fed by what remained of its atmosphere, consuming flammable materials (which might include the crew). An expanding cloud of debris surrounded the ship - hull plating, structural beams, weapons and hundreds of thousands of unrecognizable small components and fragments torn free by the detonations.

For a moment Saber Cat seemed dead, and then - unbelievably! - one of the engine pods lit back up. One of the massive turrets spat fire and Tyra’s radar spotted massive shells blasting past the Drakons towards one of the ComStar destroyers.

“What does it take!” a voice demanded in horror.

“We’re going in again.” Lindstrom was less shrill now. “Viking squadron, get in close and mark the intact sections. Squadrons form up and go in one at a time - we don’t want to shoot our bolt this time.”

Tyra looked at her squadron’s positions. They were all coming around on her, and their relatively powerful fighters were cutting a tighter turn than most of the others. She looked back at the Saber Cat. The patchwork armor was visible again - the crew must have rolled the ship to shield the damaged section of hull from the nukes. “Overste, Valkyrie squadron has its target.”

“We didn’t mark anything yet!” protested Pedersen.

“I see where we hit it over Rasalhague,” she retorted. “They haven’t finished their repairs.”

To her credit, the Flying Drakons’ commander didn’t hesitate. “Valkyrie squadron is go. Everyone else, let them take their run. If they miss, you’ll have your shots.”

“Valkyrie Three and Five, you have your nukes?” she asked the two flight leads as the six Cor-Stars came out of their turn and dived towards that battered shape of the Saber Cat.

“Negative,” Cowley admitted, sounding embarrassed.

“Got mine,” reported Steffers.

So two missiles left rather than three. Tyra could have sworn at Cowley for breaking orders and firing, but there were only fourteen nukes issued for the mission so she’d already known two officers had disobeyed the order. She might have been the only Valkyrie to have one. “Your lance is point, Valkyrie Five,” she said instead. “The debris out there is a problem, someone has to clear the way - open up on anything between us and that repair work.”

“I see it, lead.” Without the additional mass of their missiles, Cowley and his wingman opened up their throttles and moved ahead. Their lasers flashed out, Tyra’s combat computers marking lines to indicate the beams’ paths even though in reality they would be invisible until they intersected with something. Flashes of light over the target area made it clear that that was happening.

The Saber Cat started to roll slowly, moving the patch out of view - but it was slow going, probably due to damaged thrusters.

(A part of Tyra’s mind suggested that the ship was so little threat now that it could be left to the ComGuards to finish off. That thought was shoved aside almost immediately.)

“Losing sight of the target,” Steffers warned.

“We’re going to overshoot and fire on our exit vector,” Tyra ordered. “Do a one-eighty on my mark.”

The blackened wreck grew larger and larger, Valkyrie Five and Six flying past it already. Tyra waited until the balance of Valkyrie squadron were almost on top of it before she gave the order. “Three two one mark!”

Cutting her main fusion thruster, she dropped her acceleration to nothing and maneuvering thrusters fired, spinning the Cor-Star on its center of mass. Further from the destroyer, it might have used the moment in which the fighters could not evade to fire accurately with one of its remaining weapons. Ironically, the closer she was, the safer Tyra was for this.

A second later and the four Valkyrie squadron fighters were past the Sabre Cat, flying backwards. Tyra could see the mass of plating covering damaged structural beams and local penetrations from the nuke that had hit the ship all those years away. She centered her crosshairs on it and brought her thumb down on the trigger.

“Break, break,” she ordered and the squadron scattered, turning and firing up their thrusters to get clear.

Even as Tyra did so, she kept one eye on the camera that looked aft. She saw both missiles strike the partially repaired hull and for a moment nothing seemed to happen.

Then Saber Cat tore in two as for a brief moment two suns erupted inside the center of the hull.

“Good kill! Good kill!” the Overste-Lojtnant cried out.

“Good kill indeed,” Alain Beresick cut into the channel. “Now, if the Drakons would please return to providing my ships with cover, I believe it’s time to call in the transports.” He sounded only mildly reproving, although Tyra suspected that Lindstrom would be getting her ass chewed by the command team of the task force as soon as they were back together.

Somehow, she had trouble caring.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #798 on: 30 April 2024, 00:27:56 »
Mako Mountain Range, Vinton
Kerensky Cluster, Clan Homeworlds
19 March 3058

Sarah Weaver’s Iron Cheetah shrugged off hits from the Thresher’s full firepower. The Diamond Shark ‘mech was towards the bottom end of the heavy weight scale while her new ‘mech was at the apex of assault omnimechs, making it a mismatch - but the Thresher had chosen to engage her so that was not her fault.

Dropping her crosshairs over the Thresher’s chest she dropped a PPC out of the firing circuit to control her heat and let the smaller ‘mech have it with everything else.

The heavy ‘mech was battered backwards by the impact of her Gauss Rifle and the other PPC. Then her pulse lasers cut away even more of the armor and the LRMs spread explosions across the entire front of the Thresher.

To his credit, the Diamond Shark managed to stay upright, twisting his ‘mech to cover the armor breaches with his left shoulder, but that made it hard for him to fire back at Sarah.

A pair of medium lasers scraped away some more of her own armor before Sarah sidestepped the Iron Cheetah, moving faster than the other mechwarrior expected, and introduced the gaping holes to her PPCs and missiles. A surge of heat went through her cockpit but to her frustration, the Thresher toppled backwards as particle bolts pulverized its interiors and almost her entire flight of LRMs slammed into the cockpit face.

The warrior had possessed daring, she would have taken him as a bondsman. Unfortunately, that was no longer an option.

Looking around, the force that had contested her advance was gone. There were only so many routes through the Mako Mountains, which was why they had become the border between her Clan’s enclaves and those captured by the Diamond Sharks: the passes had broken the momentum of Ian Hawker’s advance.

“Push through to the end of the pass,” she ordered the Cluster she was fighting with. “Then the rest of the galaxy will move through for their own chance at glory.”

The ‘mech’s comm unit pinged to indicate someone was trying to reach Sarah. She scowled and stepped the Iron Cheetah off the road, allowing the cluster to move past her. The Star Colonel should be able to manage the rest of this - if not, it was better to find out now.

“What is it?” she demanded, accepting the call.

“My apologies, my Khan.” Star Commodore Erica Canto seemed to be sweating nervously. There was a reason she was assigned to the Osis’ Pride rather than a more offensive warship - she was too cautious by nature. “The news is important - and dire.”

“Spit it out then!”

Canto lowered her head submissively. “Huntress has been invaded.”

A chill went through Sarah. She had brought the bulk of the true warriors with her for the attack on Vinton, leaving solahma and training units behind. “Who dares?” Most of the Clans were too focused on the Inner Sphere for them to have forces available for such a strike. “The Coyotes? The Blood Spirits.”

“It is spheroids, my khan.”

“Impossible! They have no idea where the homeworlds even are!”

“The facts would seem otherwise.” Then Canto raised her head and met Sarah’s gaze. “The report says there was no batchall, only a claim that they acted on behalf of the Star League.”

The sheer audacity took Sarah’s breath away. The Clans were the Star League! All that was true and worthy that remained. The Inner Sphere was the pit of corruption left by it’s fall, a place that had to be cleansed by fire and steel in order to rebuild. And they claimed… They DARED to defile the honor of the Star League?!

Hands trembling with rage, she turned to the Star Commodore’s screen. “Tell me everything.” Perhaps this was a deceit of some kind - dark caste, perhaps? That would be shameful but better by far than the Spheroids bringing their vileness to the sacred refuge of the homeworlds.

“They used the proximity form between Huntress and its star,” Canto reported. “The picket there was destroyed - the glare of the star made that less than obvious. It was several hours before the lack of contact was noted.”

Sarah hissed at the laxness. “They did not think to report?”

“It was the Saber Cat,” Canto reminded her. “No one cares what that ship does, and their crew was badly understrength.”

That ship, again? Still, this would presumably be the last she heard of it. “And then.”

“The Space Defense System engaged.” The Star Commodore shrugged. “Safcon was not requested, and it would be unthinkable to extend it in any case.”

“Agreed, but your initial words say that it was not enough.”

Canto’s face was grim. “Our warships are in the Inner Sphere or patrolling our supply lines. With the loss of the Saber Cat, Osis’ Pride is the last we have in the homeworlds. The fixed defenses are intended to buy time for a response, not to fight unassisted against a naval star. Six warships were enough to clear the orbital platforms and engage the surface batteries with their weapons. The report says some damage was done in response but not enough to keep them from clearing the bases covering half of Jaguar Prime.”

“Orbital fire…” They had used that on Huntress. Sarah could not help but remember the scar left on Reykjavik. Yes, the Inner Sphere would not hesitate to do to the Jaguars what had been done to them. “How bad is it?”

“It seems they targeted bases that were away from the cities,” the younger woman said with some relief. “Losses are mostly material, but it freed them to land between Myer and Pahn.”

Large, industrial cities… and in striking range of Lootera and the primary genetic repository under Mount Szabo. Blood drained from Sarah’s face. “And their strength?”

“Besides five or six warships?” Canto shrugged helplessly. “The loss of satellites limits the information. But the Inner Sphere’s warships strength is limited, if they have sent so many then this must be a major operation so…”

“I understand.” A full invasion force, aimed at crippling Clan Smoke Jaguar.

Sarah looked down the pass. Towards the almost defenseless enclaves that had been within her grasp just a few minutes ago. She could still take them… but if Huntress was lost then full control of Vinton would… well, it would be better than nothing but small consolation. The capital held fully half of the Clan’s industry and workers, Vinton was more than an outpost, but there was no way that reclaiming the lost half of the world would make up for losing Huntress.

“Prepare your ship for return to Huntress,” the khan ordered tonelessly. “Omega Galaxy will be needed there.”

“We are several jumps away from Huntress.”

“I am fully aware of that, Star Commodore! You understand your orders, quiaff?”

“Aff,” a chastened Canto responded, then cut the channel.

Sarah considered how to break the news to her warriors. Their spirits were high, but they had not been tempered yet. Sudden bad news could devastate their morale…

Finally, she reached for the comm unit. Better to contact the drop-port behind them, start arrangements for their departure. Sarah could see her reflection in the glass of her cockpit and if she announced anything now, it would not go well. She needed to get back on balance first.

“Put me through to -” But there was nothing but static.

The khan frowned, checked the frequency. This was the correct one, and if her equipment was at fault, how could she have spoken to Canto? She changed to an alternative wavelength. “This is Khan Sarah Weaver -” No reply, just more static.

If this was the Inner Sphere, she would suspect jamming… but would anyone in the Clans use such a tactic? Perhaps. But then again, the drop port was Smoke Jaguar territory. Who would be between them to use jammers. No, this must be some freak weather condition.

With a stab of her finger she opened the channel to Osis’ Pryde. It only took a moment to issue a new command via the comms officer: Canto was to also alert the drop port of Sarah’s imminent return and of the need to ready dropships to carry Omega Galaxy up to orbit.

After a moment to calm herself further, Sarah opened a channel to the last of Omega Galaxy’s clusters. “Star Colonel Weaver!”

“My khan,” the young warrior yelped. “We are making best speed through the pass.”

Which probably meant that his force had been delayed. “Never mind that. We are moving our logistical train back to the dropships rather than bringing them through the mountains. Escort them back to the drop port.” In the narrow pass, she would need halt and then reverse course unit by unit or they would jam up.

“We can make better speed, we will not slow you down!” the Star Colonel offered hastily.

“This has nothing to do with that,” Sarah hissed. “Do as I say! Or must I come back and replace you?” The warrior might be of her bloodhouse, but it was clear he had far to go before he was a credit to it.

“Neg, I will obey!”

Sarah cut the channel and estimated that it would take at least five minutes for word to spread through the cluster of the new orders. And then the many trucks carrying support for the galaxy would have to reverse as well, she could not expect the laborers driving them to respond sharply…

She regretted now not using the dropships from the start, but if problems had arisen in the mountains there were few landing sites for them and those would be predictable. The Diamond Sharks would love to take advantage of her exposing dropships to attack like that.

Another ping from her console - it was Canto again. “This had better be good news,” Sarah snapped. “Quiaff?”

“Neg,” Canto was slumping slightly in her seat. “Diamond Shark dropships are executing a sub-orbital hop behind you. Predicted pathing takes them to landing sites around the main drop port.”

“How long do we have! Why did you not see them before!”

“They crossed the horizon as we spoke earlier, my khan. They will land within minutes.” A pause. “And they number more than your own transports.”

That many? Where had they come from? Who was aboard them?

Canto looked aside and then shook her head. “We are receiving a batchall!”

“Relay it!”

The image of Canto was wiped away and a new face replaced it - one that Weaver knew all too well from Grand Council meetings. Bikendi Vewas was one of the few Khans among the invading Clans who, like her, remained in the homeworlds.

“Rejoice, warriors of Clan Smoke Jaguar!” the Diamond Shark saKhan called out. “You have come here fearing that you would face only a garrison that could offer you little glory, yet we offer you the opportunity to carve your deeds into the Remembrance. Since you have brought your newest galaxy to lay claim to one half of Vinton, it is only fair for us to bring our best to lay claim to the other! Beta Galaxy offers challenge for possession of all these enclaves! Let the greater predator devour the weaker!”

“Stravag!” Sarah screamed. “Beta Galaxy is in the Inner Sphere! We have reports of them! The lying rat is offering a false batchall!”

Canto reappeared on the screen. “Our sensors have identified the dropships as those assigned to the Diamond Shark’s Beta Galaxy,” she warned. “Is it possible the reports are wrong?”

The khan was breathing heavily.

She had no choice but to withdraw. Huntress needed her forces. But that would not just end her campaign, it left her unable to defend the rest of Vinton.

For a moment she considered ordering Canto to swat the dropships from the sky with the guns of the Osis’ Pride - but that would force the troop cruiser into a low orbit where she would be vulnerable to attack by the Diamond Sharks’ aerospace fighters - by standard Diamond Shark doctrine, Beta Galaxy would have a hundred and twenty omnifighters to add to those of the garrison. And losing Osis’ Pride would mean there was nothing available to ferry her forces home, or to face the Spheroid warships in battle.

“Get our dropships out of there,” Sarah said dully. Then she slammed her fist onto the comm console as she realized she’d just ordered her logistics trucks to turn and drive in the direction of the Diamond Sharks. “Direct them to the far side of the pass, we will need to load there.”

This defeat, this humiliation…

With a roar, Sarah jerked her crosshairs up into the sky and unleashed every iota of the Iron Cheetah’s firepower out of pure rage. Sound and fury… without effect.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #799 on: 30 April 2024, 01:17:49 »
And everyone’s Xanatos gambits pile up at once.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #800 on: 30 April 2024, 02:56:11 »
It's good to see Tyra getting a measure of revenge and Sarah getting dunked on by the events, nudging here ever closer to hate nirvana.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #801 on: 30 April 2024, 03:52:39 »
Downing Saber Cat was indeed good to see!

Vizzer

• Private
« Reply #802 on: 30 April 2024, 07:17:32 »
In terms of the best of the Star League the Smoke Jaguars do seem to be following in the footsteps of Amos Forlough.

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
« Reply #803 on: 30 April 2024, 15:10:56 »

Now, in the clear light of the post-combat situation report I grant that it was perhaps not the most tactically efficient course to expend a once-per-mission cooldown and incur sufficient excess heat to melt my own reactor core twice over in order to inflict 45 points of damage upon a target with 80 HP, but I strongly feel any assessment of the soundness of my decision should take into account that ****** had it coming.
-Sarah Weaver.
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #804 on: 02 May 2024, 22:55:28 »
Opalescent Reflections

Full House
Chapter 11

Castle Arianrod, Coventry
Donegal March, Federated Commonwealth
9 April 3058

Victor looked up from his desk as someone knocked on the door. The operations along the frontlines were in full swing but his mother had given a hard no to his taking part in any of the attacks. Peter was off and out of contact for at least another year, so she’d rather have kept both her other sons out of the line of duty. It had taken the combined efforts of Victor and his father to give Arthur his chance, and part of the price for that was that Victor was stuck on Coventry dealing with some of the reams of paperwork being generated.

The face that came through the door was a welcome relief from those duties. “Galen!”

“Victor!” the taller blond declared brightly. “I was afraid I’d find you buried under something.”

“Not far off,” the prince replied, gesturing to his desk.

“I have taught you bad habits,” his friend said regretfully. “And I am paying for that now that I also have a desk job.” Notionally, Galen was still part of the Tenth Lyran Guards but his promotion to Leutnant-General had come with reassignment to the RCT’s staff and he was handling their interactions with the rest of the AFFC’s bureaucracy, a posting that kept him out of harm’s way.

Promotion from Colonel almost always involved such work - Victor had nearly dodged it with his double promotion following the Battle of Coventry, only to be sent to Terra to plan the military responses of the Star League. Now Galen was in the same spot: command above that of a regiment required that one demonstrate competence off the battlefield as well as on it.

“Your desk looks as bad?” Victor asked, pushing his chair back.

“Pretty much.” Galen waved him back to the chair and took the one facing him. “I heard that we had to fight a second front with AFFC command to stay supplied, paid and the like, but it wasn’t until I got this job that I found out that it really is a battle. I keep expecting to find someone face down with a sharpened pen buried in their back.”

“The theory is that it keeps us sharp,” the younger man replied. “I found a hell of a lot of corruption while I was playing hatchetman last year. If your counterparts had been doing their job properly, that wouldn’t have been the case.”

“I would be happy to trade. I have an actual Hatchetman, so I am doubly qualified.”

Victor nodded and glanced at the clock. “I also know that you wouldn’t leave your desk early unless you had more reason than socializing to drop by. I’m always glad to see you, but…”

“Where is that naive young leutnant I took under my wing?” Galen asked with mock regret. “Now you’re suspicious of everyone.” His eyes gave him away though.

“I got a grounding in politics,” Victor replied and hoped his eyes were better guarded. He had found a few gems in the forced networking of the royal court and some of those contacts were on New Avalon. As much as he wanted to believe that Omi was wrong in her assessment of Katherine’s position there, it was clear that she was surrounded by flatterers and did not seem to realize it. He really hoped that she didn’t at any rate.

Galen nodded. “That would do it. Alright, Victor, I have good news and I have bad news. What do you want first?”

“Start with the good. Hopefully the bad will help to inoculate me from any cases of victory disease. There is a lot of that going around.” Some of the career staff officers had gotten so excited by the sheer number of forces present that they were acting as if defeat of the Clans was a foregone conclusion. Victor couldn’t help but wonder how many reverses the LCAF and maybe the AFFS as well had suffered because of that mistake over the years.

The older man nodded. “First reports are in from the Rack and Pain.” Official guidelines were to use the names the worlds had used under the Star League: Dijonne and Port Vail. The next time Victor heard either used except in formal reports would be the first.

“I take it that we won?” The two worlds were the bases the Steel Vipers had used as a staging area to rejoin the invasion - even if they’d set up Inarcs as their center of operations, they were key supply bases and as such they were the main targets for Task Group Sapphire Two: no less than eight ‘mech regiments and almost fifty conventional units that had skirted the Inner Sphere to hit the Steel Vipers from behind.

“Damn right we did. The ComGuards even scored a major win: a Steel Viper convoy turned up over the Rack right next to our invasion force. CSS Manchester crippled the escort and oversaw the capture of the rest of the ships.”

“That’s a stroke of good luck!”

Galen grinned. “It gets better. The convoy was coming from the Clan homeworlds and along with a huge amount of supplies, they had tooling to build LRM guidance systems.”

Victor blinked for a moment, before he realized the full meaning of that. “That could let us crack the minimum arming range problem. Who has control of it?”

“ComStar,” Galen admitted. “But the local officers already gave ours complete access to the documentation. Even if the Primus tries to keep control of the tooling, that’s going to be a huge help.”

“Not as much letting us play with the tooling ourselves, but that may come,” Victor noted. He’d have to make sure that got fast-tracked back to Tharkad and New Avalon. His father would want samples for NAIS and the Primus would probably agree to that - for a price, but one that was affordable. Then he straightened in his chair. “And the bad news? What’s the butcher’s bill?”

His former commander looked away. “The Steel Vipers fought like captured rats. They only had a Galaxy between the two worlds, but they damn near cost us their own number in dead and wounded. Very few of their warriors were taken alive.”

Victor saw that the tension wasn’t gone from his friend’s shoulders. “And?”

“The Vipers managed to force a breakout between the Eighth Lyran Regulars and the Third Federated Commonwealth,” Galen told him. “The artillery park was overrun and they almost made it to our dropships and the forward operating base. Third Battalion of the Fourth Deneb Light Cavalry got thrown in to buy time for reinforcements.”

The prince came half-way out of his chair. That was his little brother’s posting. “Galen!”

“He’s alive.” The older man didn’t meet his eyes. “But there isn’t a ‘mech left of that battalion - most of them were half the weight of the Clanners. Arthur and his lance anchored the entire defense. He’s up for a silver sunburst… and a medevac back to Tharkad.”

“Tell me!” he demanded, forcing himself back into his seat.

“His right arm is gone from above the elbow,” Galen told him. “The full medical report is on the way - he lost a lot of blood and there’s some infection, but he’s not in danger.”

Except of not being allowed off Tharkad again, Victor thought. Arthur and Yvonne were the babies of the family - far enough down the succession that they didn’t have the same obligations. Having harm come to one of them would hit his mother hard… and he wasn’t sure how his father would take it either. “How far has news gone?”

“It’s been classified,” Galen told him. “Messages are going direct to New Avalon and Tharkad under the most secure codes. Chances are that your mother knows by now.”

“And you’re the one telling me because…”

“Your chain of command is on Tharkad,” the Leutnant-General pointed out. “I got a head’s up from the Tenth the Rack once word got around. There’s not been time for an official message to get back from Tharkad.”

Victor took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a moment, processing the thought of his lively, laughing little brother missing an arm. He’d been so eager to make his name, to show he was as good as Victor or Peter.

“Nothing I can do,” he said at last. “I assume he won’t be coming here, I’ll have to see if I can have a message sent to him in transit.”

Galen shrugged. “Most of the seriously wounded are being sent to Donegal or Tharkad once they’re fit for travel. My contacts didn’t know when that would be for your brother, but I’d imagine they’ll expedite that.”

Victor nodded grimly. “How are the Tenth?”

“Pretty good - no one got out without losses, but they’re one of the least damaged units,” Galen told him. “That means they’ll be with the next wave of attacks.”

Victor had pored over the star charts enough that he could call them to mind without needing to refer to a physical copy. The Steel Viper occupation zone formed a rough V with Pain and the Rack at one end, the Federated Commonwealth border at the other end. Inarcs was near the point of the V and the plan was to advance down the zone from both directions, ignoring the other Clans as much as possible.

Qanatir, Ma’anshan and Kwangjong-ni had been retaken at heavy cost - all three worlds had been right on the border with two frontline galaxies spread between them. But very few of those warriors had escaped. Now the main advance towards Inarcs was underway, a division of the ComGuards backing up the push to relieve or avenge their garrisons behind the lines.

“The sooner the better,” he said out loud. “The Vipers may be crumbling, but we don’t know yet how the Nova Cats are going to react.”

No one had foreseen that the Nova Cats would almost ignore the interdiction. They’d been rounding up ComStar personnel where they could, but for the most part they were then simply shipping them over into the fortified enclaves and politely - well, politely by Clan standards - refusing to let them back out. There were contingencies for the Cats involving themselves in the fighting - their territory abutted that of the Steel Vipers and they had to know that they might be next… but right now no one knew what they were planning.

No small part of the paperwork on Victor’s desk was speculation about that.

“And the Jade Falcons?” asked Galen.

“Twelve raids into the Commonwealth in the last month… and most of the ComStar enclaves behind their lines are gone,” Victor said gravely. “It’s not a question of if they attack, just when and where.”

Camora, Twycross
Clan Jade Falcon Occupation Zone
10 April 3058

It had taken Aidan half a day to find Elias Crichell after returning to Twycross. The search did nothing for his temper.

When he finally found the other Khan, it was not far from the command center where he had looked first, which was enough to convince him that Crichell had known of his presence and deliberately avoided him. The aged Khan was examining footage of a battle - not one involving the Clans. A drop port marked by green Capellan banners was marred by clouds of green smoke that streamed from hundreds of sources. An Overlord-class dropship was the only one present and it fired missiles out across the port as ‘mechs streamed out of its hatches to do battle with the defenders.

“Aidan!” The senior khan paused the replay as Aidan moved deliberately into his field of view. “You have done well dealing with ComStar!”

“Most of the HPGs are destroyed,” he acknowledged. “Even those we took somewhat intact will need repairs.”

“The Primus and her fanatics have been preparing for years to deal with such situations,” Crichell said dismissively. “Capturing any of the HPGs without their total destruction is very good. We have the knowledge and tools to rebuild them.”

Three months of sweeping across the rear-areas of the occupied worlds came back to Aidan. World after world, green omnimechs battling white-painted SLDF machines. “It needed to be done,” he said simply. “Our rear has been secured, now we can move against the real enemy.”

Crichell smiled thinly and gestured towards another seat on the couch he occupied. “Which of our enemies do you mean? There are a number, all as real as the next. I would have counted ComStar among them.”

“The Steel Vipers provoked them,” Aidan answered. “It was unnecessary.”

“This was always going to happen.” The old Khan shook his head. “Not now, I admit - it was premature. But we could never tolerate ComStar having a hand on our communications.” He paused. “And in some respects, the timing was good.”

Aidan frowned. “Would you say that if the Federated Commonwealth was taking worlds back from us rather than the Steel Vipers? Because we are likely their next target.”

“There we were fortunate. Combined with the interdiction…” A shake of the white-haired head. “Yes, it would have been a problem, but we are better placed now and there is no such attack imminent. Our raids show that forces along our border are focused on the defense.”

“You make it seem as if this is good for us.”

“Is it not?” Crichell raised his eyebrows. “You speak of our real enemies? The Vipers are no friends of ours and I think it is unlikely that their occupation zone will survive - that leaves them weakened and humiliated. It is not beyond possibility that they will face absorption unless they turn this situation around. And even if they fail, Clan Nova Cat is covering our flank and will do so far more effectively than Zalman and his Clan.”

“They still provided a considerable force that the Federated Commonwealth had to respect. If that is gone then almost a quarter of the forces facing the Steiner-Davions are unavailable to us.”

“I refuse to consider that a serious loss,” Aidan’s senior dismissed his argument. “And the Federated Commonwealth will be weakened as well - they have sent the preponderance of their forces to the furthest extreme, with little support from the rest of this so-called Star League.”

“If we do not strike now, we may have to fight them alone,” Aidan warned. “I know the Steel Vipers will refuse direct aid, but we could strike towards Terra - retake Arcturus and drive into Skye, taking some of the pressure off them. The Nova Cats would have to join us…”

“Clan Wolf would not. I count it our great good fortune that they are thoroughly distracted by their errant kin.”

Aidan raised his voice. “We are ceding the initiative!”

Crichell gave him a reproving look. “We are picking our moment. Your plan is not without merit but it is too soon and we must take Tharkad first. The Lyran capital is well placed - without it and the surrounding worlds, the logistics across their Commonwealth are poor. Taking it will seriously impair the ability of the units deployed against the Steel Vipers to rebuild their strength.”

“We are not just fighting the Federated Commonwealth. They have reinforcements from across the Inner Sphere.”

“Token forces,” the old man pronounced. “They hate and fear House Steiner-Davion’s strength. If this alliance of theirs endures, they will end up dominated by the Federated Commonwealth, so the Mariks and Liaos will compromise if they must. Take Tharkad and they will find reason to look to their own defenses, while we will have fresh Clans committing their forces.” Then he smiled smugly. “The ComGuards struck at the homeworlds. No one can deny that there is need to strike against them now - the Star Adders always claimed that the Crusade would require our full might and the Blood Spirits prate of unity, so they can take the lead.”

“The homeworlds?!” Aidan exclaimed, pushing himself upright. “Where? With what forces?!”

“Huntress,” Crichell told him, gesturing dismissively even though Ironhold and Strana Mechty were within a single jump of the named world. “It is a raid, Aidan. Our defenses are not as weak as those of the Smoke Jaguars.”

“Even so…” He paused, shook his head. “No, I see. Fear of more than that will motivate the homeworld Clans to join the invasion.”

“They have always wanted to, and now there is an excuse that the Wardens cannot reject… particularly with the Wolves humbled.” The smile on the old Khan’s face was disturbing. “Ulric Kerensky created the Zeerga and while they may be attacking him now, that has still cost him many allies. Even if he objects, he will face the same odds or worse than those he had to fight against the vote to invade.”

It occurred to Aidan that Ulric Kerensky had come surprisingly close to winning that Trial of Refusal, but he doubted Crichell took that threat seriously. “And the other Clans?” he asked, buying time to think.

“Of the invaders? The Smoke Jaguars are humiliated already and the Combine is striking at both them and the Ghost Bears. That will sway the Bears and the Jaguars have always supported widening the invasion, although they may be forced to provide access via their corridor.” Crichell paused and Aidan was not surprised. “It is not clear if the Diamond Sharks are under attack by the Inner Sphere. The Hells Horses and Ice Hellions are giving Sennet problems, but I doubt the Smoke Jaguars can continue to harass them with things as they stand. Most likely they will struggle to hold onto their current territory, but if they do…” The old man shrugged, confidence returning to him. “If they join us, so much the better. If not, they continue to pose a threat to the Combine and beyond them to the Federated Suns, which serves our purposes almost as well.”

“Better in some ways.” The words slipped out of Aidan’s mouth and he regretted giving away the insight.

Crichell gave him an appraising look. “Aff,” he said simply.

“Bringing more Clans in means more contenders for the crown of Terra,” Aidan warned.

“They have yet to face the Inner Sphere. Let them batter their way through Skye and Dieron while we will fly above them to the prize,” Crichell said sagely. “ComStar will guard Terra ferociously - and you have ensured that we retain the naval aid of the Snow Ravens. Khan McKenna knows that her Clan cannot take Terra, they lack the ground forces. But given the chance to be our ally and kingmaker…” He smiled thinly. “Thanks to you, Aidan. I will be IlKhan - there is no other now who can claim the title. And once Clan Jade Falcon is emplaced as the ilClan, you will be my obvious successor.”

“One step at a time,” Aidan said cautiously. “The opening to strike at Tharkad may arrive quickly. I should move to the front.”

“Once your troops have resupplied and made good their equipment,” the old Khan assured him. “I would not launch this campaign without you in the lead.”

Right where I can take the blame for any reverse, Aidan thought. Successor indeed?! You do not care for a single thing beyond placing your ass on the ilKhan’s throne!

“I understand your Summoner took serious damage,” Crichell continued. “I suggest that you replace it. One of the new Night Gyrs - a formidable new ‘mech suitable to the new age that is dawning.” It was an order, not a suggestion.

A cumbersome ‘mech to rein me in? “I believe you have also adopted one of the new designs,” he said out loud. “A Turkina in place of your old Warhawk.”

“The Khans should pilot machines of our Clan’s designing, after all,” the older man preened. As if the Summoner was not of Jade Falcon design!

Imperial City, Irurzun
Benjamin Military District, Draconis Combine
1 May 3058

“Is this confirmed?” Minoru asked the man sitting across from him.

Boris Petrov spread his hands slightly in apology. It wasn’t a meeting of the high command and Minoru had decided to enjoy the warm afternoon sunshine with Atsuko. He had to handle some reports, but she had her own and thus they had been sitting in comfortable silence, each working through their own stack of documents (held in place against the wind with stone paperweights) until the Warlord had politely asked for some of Minoru’s precious time.

“The reports are from reliable officers,” Petrov told him. “Unfortunately, they will also be in the hands of Focht and Hasek-Davion.”

“I assumed as much.”

Minoru had nothing particularly against the next Commanding General of the SLDF, in fact the Duke of New Syrtis had gone out of his way to be supportive of Omi so he could not be considered an enemy. But he would naturally put the interests of the Federated Commonwealth ahead of the Draconis Combine’s. It would be naive to think otherwise.

There was an understanding, though such promises might prove to be faithless, that the third Commanding General would probably be from the Combine. Minoru’s realm covered for a large part of the border with the Clans after all… and it seemed fairly likely that a second round of counter attacks might be expected around 3061. A good time for a DCMS officer to push for a focus against the Diamond Sharks, given that the Federated Commonwealth had had their chance to deal with their own foes. That didn’t help now.

Atsuko had pulled back slightly from the table to let the men talk but she was evidently listening. Minoru wondered if she might ask questions later or simply treat it as none of her business. He thought that not all the questions she asked were those her father had prompted her to. Hoped that they weren’t.

He rubbed his chin. “What do you expect?”

“The Ghost Bears have already proven more expensive to push back,” admitted Petrov. “And we’ve pushed them back to the point that they have reliable HPG communication between their units. I expect that instructions will be given to focus where we are seeing more results.”

“The Smoke Jaguars, in other words.”

The warlord nodded. “They are evidently in some disarray, with poorer communications and supplies. In addition, we have seen nothing of two of their frontline Galaxies - they may be experiencing the same level of distraction as the Diamond Sharks.”

The interdiction cut both ways, Minoru thought. The Clan Occupation Zones had gone black except where enclaves were secure enough that they hadn’t cut off their HPGs entirely. Unfortunately, the decision to focus on the Ghost Bears and Smoke Jaguars meant that there weren’t many of those HPGs. The Ghost Bears held worlds that had long been relatively secure with no scope for ComStar protection to be extended.

While there had been quite a number of ComStar enclaves on Smoke Jaguar worlds, most of them had been overrun - the exceptions were those liberated quickly in the first waves of attacks. The effort had undoubtedly depleted Smoke Jaguar forces and hampered their ability to respond to Operation Ruby. It still left them mostly blind about what was going on more than a single jump past the worlds being fought for.

“We are still fighting for Combine worlds,” Minoru allowed after thinking further. “It is hard for me to argue against that.”

“There is a risk of becoming over-extended and leaving a vulnerable salient between the Bears and the Wolves.”

The coordinator chuckled sardonically. “You know what Hasek-Davion’s counter will be.”

“Well… yes,” Petrov admitted.

“May I ask what it will be?” Atsuko asked quietly.

The Warlord frowned slightly and glanced at her before looking back to Minoru.

“Please,” Minoru invited. “A fresh pair of eyes may see something we have overlooked.”

Petrov thought a moment before responding. “We have no sight yet of a major counter-attack. That being the case, Marshal Hasek-Davion will wish to employ Task Force Emerald offensively - it is his own command. And he will want to do so in a way that benefits his liege lord. Liberating worlds held by Clan Wolf would restore worlds to the Federated Commonwealth and the Free Rasalhague Republic, making it a popular move.”

“Rasalhague has no representation on the Star League Council,” Minoru’s wife mused out loud. “But if their worlds were liberated, might they gain that?”

“Possibly. Or their worlds could become protectorates of the Federated Commonwealth.” Petrov grunted. “The Combine is regrettably not in a position to offer a counter-bid and if we did, they would refuse. Rasalhague fought to be free of the Combine.”

“I was a child at the time,” Atsuko allowed. “May I ask my husband’s goals in this matter?”

“Reclaiming the worlds that rest under the Ghost Bear’s paws,” he told her. “Driving them from the Inner Sphere would deprive the Diamond Sharks of an ally and open a road towards Luthien. A salient there is less risky - the Jaguars and Sharks are unlikely to cooperate.”

Atsuko lowered her eyes and said nothing for a moment. “If the Rasalhague leaders were to accept the Dragon’s protection, could some limit on their liberation be set?” she asked after a moment. “No more worlds than could be defended. My lord’s father fought to grant them their independence, so they may be persuaded that such protection - perhaps on the levels Warlord Sorenson advocates - will be relaxed once they are ready to guard themselves again.”

“We would have to find the troops for that,” Petrov pointed out in a condescending tone. “And it does not help us to fight the Ghost Bears.”

“Ah, I apologize for my poor explanation,” she answered, lowering her head. “Since Marshal Hasek-Davion wishes to recover worlds for his lord and my lord is supporting this, surely the Marshal can reasonably spare forces to assist against the Ghost Bears. As for the troops, would they not primarily need infantry until the current offensive is over?”

“True…” Minoru allowed thoughtfully. “And ComStar will want their enclaves back.” Whose mere presence would contribute to the security of those worlds.

Boris Petrov gave Atsuko a look of his own. “I believe I have new reason to be pleased by Lord Kurita’s marriage. I had not realized that you were so well-versed in diplomacy.”

Atsuko blushed. “I am sure you would have come up with a solution.”

“Perhaps so. But even if we did, we might not come up with one in time,” the Warlord told her. “In diplomacy, like war, a perfect plan too late is of little use.”

The blush didn’t escape Atsuko’s face and she backed off. “Please excuse me while I arrange some snacks for you.”

Both men politely acknowledged the excuse and watched her leave.

“Some of your court would object to her advising you in public,” Petrov counseled Minoru. “Fools, but sometimes influential.”

“I have enough fools advising me,” the Coordinator observed. “My wife is not one of them.”

“Quite.” The Warlord shook his head slightly. “The situation in the Outworlds Alliance is more promising. I imagine that Li Dok To will wish to recover his district’s capital.”

“I will allow it when the time comes,” Minoru confirmed quietly. “The Diamond Sharks are being attacked from the core by their fellow Clans. If we had known in time, it would have been the perfect opportunity for Ruby to be aimed at them.”

“When an opportunity passes, it does little good to dwell on it, Tono. Recovering Galedon and perhaps Alshain… that will still be a good start on redressing our losses.” Petrov rose to his feet. “With your permission, I will contact Marshal Hasek-Davion and General Mansdottir.”

“Individually, I hope.”

“Oh yes, very much so.” The big man beamed happily. “Divide and conquer as they say. My apologies to Lady Kurita that I cannot wait for the snacks, but I think the two of you will manage without me.”

“Go with my blessing,” Minoru told him and watched Petrov walk to the gates. As the warlord exited, he paused  and bowed to the returning Atsuko. A deep bow, a degree deeper than would normally be offered to the Coordinator’s wife.

She is making a good impression, Minoru thought. I should be glad of that - no, I am glad of that. And her father is moderating the conservatives…

But Sorenson’s reforms are yielding results, and that threatens established interests. There will be backlash to that. Can I count on Marquis Hideyoshi in that case…?

And if not, can I count on my wife?

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #805 on: 03 May 2024, 02:03:13 »
So Victor will be moved to Tharkad for his own safety and Turkeys will be coming to Tharkad in force, while Minoru is contemplating making changes that would strenghten Combine, but also turn many powerful people, including his father-in-law against him.

It looks like IS still does not know about fighting amongst clans, which is good for Sharks and Wolves.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #806 on: 03 May 2024, 13:05:39 »
“I will allow it when the time comes,” Minoru confirmed quietly. “The Diamond Sharks are being attacked from the core by their fellow Clans. If we had known in time, it would have been the perfect opportunity for Ruby to be aimed at them.”

Looks like the Combine at least as some information about the attacks. But quite possibly not to the full extend.

And the post-war (counter attack) political landscape is beginning to take form, it seems. Good to know that Omi has an eye on Kathrine and is making her influence felt on Victor. It could backfire, though. Quite possible that if it comes to a confrontation between the siblings, Kathrine might try to frame Victor as being under the Combine's influence to gain support from the Draconis March, among others.
Jude Melancon lives!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #807 on: 03 May 2024, 15:15:27 »
Looks like the Combine at least as some information about the attacks. But quite possibly not to the full extend.

Canonically, the Combine captured some black boxes during the War of 3039, and was building their own and using them operationally during Operation Revival. They could easily have personnel with black boxes hidden across the Clan occupation zone who are feeding them at least some amount of intel.

And the post-war (counter attack) political landscape is beginning to take form, it seems. Good to know that Omi has an eye on Kathrine and is making her influence felt on Victor. It could backfire, though. Quite possible that if it comes to a confrontation between the siblings, Kathrine might try to frame Victor as being under the Combine's influence to gain support from the Draconis March, among others.

At least this time, they seem to be catching on to... less than desirable developments on Katherine´s part before she starts murdering people.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #808 on: 03 May 2024, 15:50:34 »
Omi and Victor, at least. I don't think we've seen Victor share his concerns with his family or friends. Of course, with Hanse still alive and Victor more involved with governance and bureaucracy, there certainly is less opportunity for Katherine to accelerate her journey towards a throne. She's also much more involved on the Davion side of the F-C, so there might be an opportunity for her to exploit any dissent (among the Draconis March especially) about focusing too much on the "Lyran" problem of the Clan front and not taking the golden opportunity of ending the threat of the Combine for good.

It certainly is not a problem now, but I expect someone ten to fifteen years from now lamenting the fact that the AFFC didn't go after the Combine when they were easy pickings. And if it comes to that, Katherine could seem like the patriotic, "Davion" alternative to a Victor that served in the Lyran Guards, spend much of his time in the Lyran half of the realm and holds close relations with the sister of the Coordinator.

Of course, this comes with the big - IF the Clans by then are not seen as an existential threat but just another player in the IS.
Jude Melancon lives!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #809 on: 03 May 2024, 22:05:18 »
Atsuko has swayed at least one War Lord... and may be beginning to assert herself.  Interesting times all around! :)