Author Topic: Find tablets for battletech  (Read 576 times)

samsonwilliams

• Recruit
Find tablets for battletech
« on: 08 May 2024, 03:23:15 »
Hello,

I'm looking to get a tablet that will allow me to write on pdf files like you do on paper (meaning the record sheet i have) and so reduce my paper consumption and space when playing.

I don't know much about tablet, i ask here if any of you can guide/help me?

Lion-Face

• Recruit
Re: Find tablets for battletech
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2024, 04:33:32 »
Any Android/iOS/Windows tablet with a touch screen and pen would be ideal. You would then need an app that will allow you to edit/write on the PDF.

An example would be a Microsoft Surface with associated pen and open the PDF with Microsoft edge which would allow you to draw on the PDF.

If you want to match the size of a record sheet, you would need an a4 sized device, so roughly 13inch display.  Although you would need to check screen ratio as many devices are wide-screen which is too long/narrow to match an a4 page exactly.

Other options would be an e-ink style device, like the Fuji Quaderno A4 or Boox Tab X which offer a much more paper like experience but more limited devices.

I've been looking into this sort of thing for a while. I currently have a surface pro, but really edging towards the an e-ink device.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2024, 11:04:59 »
I would suggest any decent tablet, and use FLECHS SHEETS (https://sheets.flechs.net/)

These are interactive record sheets and allow one to track a great deal of stuff - (does require wi-fi access)
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2024, 13:11:42 »
Any Android/iOS/Windows tablet with a touch screen and pen would be ideal. You would then need an app that will allow you to edit/write on the PDF.

An example would be a Microsoft Surface with associated pen and open the PDF with Microsoft edge which would allow you to draw on the PDF.

If you want to match the size of a record sheet, you would need an a4 sized device, so roughly 13inch display.  Although you would need to check screen ratio as many devices are wide-screen which is too long/narrow to match an a4 page exactly.

Other options would be an e-ink style device, like the Fuji Quaderno A4 or Boox Tab X which offer a much more paper like experience but more limited devices.

I've been looking into this sort of thing for a while. I currently have a surface pro, but really edging towards the an e-ink device.

Most eInk devices aren't fast enough for PDF usage, IMO. Especially not rut complex PDF files that Catalyst likes to publish. Better to use an Android tablet or iPad with a decent stylus.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2024, 15:29:50 »
Isn't there an ap in development for this from Catalyst?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2024, 15:59:41 »
Isn't there an ap in development for this from Catalyst?

Kinda sorta. I has NOT been updated at all in over a year from what I can tell.

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2024, 16:38:25 »
So, Battletech doesn't feel right unless I fill out a paper record-sheet that I got from a copier-place and I paid 30 copies for a dollar for.

I don't know your location, but in some places in the United States, you can get a tablet for $40 bucks or free if you have EBT and can get an Obama-phone.

I got my tablet as a sort of birthday present from my mom, who's friend she met online, passed away in Vegas and that tablet was meant for her. I just use it to read .PDF's on the bus and in bed. 

Any non-Apple tablet will do.  I don't recommend Apple for gaming.  Too many issues.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2024, 16:55:08 »
For our local Alpha Strike games, I've taken to cutting/pasting my records into OneNote, which then allows me to mark them as necessary, and then use my Surface Duo to track them during our games.  Since I'm using OneNote, I could just as easily use my Surface 3 or my iPhone to track as well, since OneDrive can cloud sync to OneDrive.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2024, 17:18:37 »
I would suggest any decent tablet, and use FLECHS SHEETS (https://sheets.flechs.net/)

These are interactive record sheets and allow one to track a great deal of stuff - (does require wi-fi access)

I love Flechs sheets for battlemechs, but it doesn't support any non-mech units as far as I can tell. If I'm wrong and just missed something in the UI I'd be glad to know different though.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2024, 17:28:22 »
I love Flechs sheets for battlemechs, but it doesn't support any non-mech units as far as I can tell. If I'm wrong and just missed something in the UI I'd be glad to know different though.

there is - kinda.

If you support FLECHS on KOFI you get access to his in progress page which does have vehicles, quads and other things.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2024, 17:14:23 »
Does Flechs sheets have an offline mode?
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2024, 18:00:00 »
Don't know.

You could ask the creator - BISON AIS or ask in his thread: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=64175.0

sneo

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2024, 11:31:38 »
I use Supernote A5X and Surface Go 4 to read the materials. The usual setup for games is Surface Go 4 for the rules and Supernote A5X with either Blank Record Sheet or exported from the various record sheets pdfs from A5X into a pdf as template background layers (where each note is a game session). I use Surface Pro 9 when I want to play via Megamek.

I agree that e-ink devices may be abit slow to flip pages when you need to do so while playing but its acceptable in speed when you are reading the materials in a leisurely manner (since it replicates paper, its easier on the eyes).
« Last Edit: 11 May 2024, 11:33:41 by sneo »

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2024, 18:41:11 »
Most eInk devices aren't fast enough for PDF usage, IMO. Especially not rut complex PDF files that Catalyst likes to publish. Better to use an Android tablet or iPad with a decent stylus.

My Max Lumi handles game .pdfs pretty well, and has rendering modes that are good for speeding through pages. It's also great for drawing maps and vehicles thanks to a paper-like screen texture. However, it's bloody pricy. You can get a good Android tablet for a lot less.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2024, 21:10:20 »
My Max Lumi handles game .pdfs pretty well, and has rendering modes that are good for speeding through pages. It's also great for drawing maps and vehicles thanks to a paper-like screen texture. However, it's bloody pricy. You can get a good Android tablet for a lot less.

Isn't that a Snapdragon 600?  That's a ten year old processor if so, and Onyx doesn't have the best Android implementation, IIRC. In OP's shoes, I'd recommend an iPad Air with GoodReader, or am Android tablet like the current Galaxy Tab S6 Lite or a s9 FE if they want something cheap.

They only introduced eInk readers with decent processors this year, using the MediaTek MT8113 SoC. Before that, it was the same Freescale processors that eInk and Netronix has been using for the past decade.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2024, 12:09:34 »
Isn't that a Snapdragon 600?

The Max Lumi works fine for displaying gaming .pdfs quickly and smoothly. Performance isn't an issue. Like I said in my last post, though, it's very expensive and an Android tablet would do more for a lot less.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.