Author Topic: Inner Sphere partial wings?  (Read 12830 times)

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
Re: Inner Sphere partial wings?
« Reply #30 on: 12 March 2011, 05:24:39 »
So you prefer to use the most heavy/bulky option?
20-Tonner: MASC: 1t, Supercharger: ½t.
50-Tonner: MASC: 3t, Supercharger: ½t.
100-Tonner: MASC: 5t, Supercharger: ½t.
I'm not entirely certain on the Supercharger weight since I don't have TacOps on hand, but SSW (latest version) gives me those numbers.
Supercharger also stays at one crit, while MASC goes up to five crits.
By and large, you can use improved jump jets to go faster than partial wings, or you can drop an engine size and go just as fast (or even faster).
Yes, but then they don't have equal MPs for Walk/Run.
Plus, using IJJ over standard jets nearly always reduces heat by at least the 3 you get from a partial wing.
Only when it comes to jumping, while partial wings give a hard bonus on heat dissipation.

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #31 on: 12 March 2011, 18:19:09 »
I prefer to use the less dangerous option. Also, supercharger tonnage depends on engine weight, so it can weigh more or less than MASC, but they're usually close.

I don't think it matters if they have equal walk/run MP. Or, if it does, that ignores a large part of what makes IJJ good. You don't NEED a fast ground speed to get a fast jump speed, freeing tonnage for other stuff.  I suppose I'm assuming that a mech with IJJ or a partial wing will be trying to take advantage of that and jump most if not all of the time. That means that walk/run is largely irrelevant, and the heat decrease from IJJ is usually at least equal to that of a partial wing.

I guess I'm not saying partial wings aren't better for the movement profiles you listed, I'm saying that those are by and large not tremendously useful movement profiles to have. Take the 100-ton comparison. 13 tons versus 16 tons for 3/5/4 sounds okay, but you could also have 20 tons for 3/5/5, which is much more useful, or a mere 6 tons for 3/5/3, which is often almost as good, especially with the extra seven tons to work with.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #32 on: 14 March 2011, 08:42:48 »
When including tonnage comparisons, dont forget the tonnage you'd normally incorporate for heat sinks. 

Also, if you're using them on a heavy atmosphere worlds, the utility goes up a bit more.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 14 March 2011, 13:19:04 »
Also, if you're using them on a heavy atmosphere worlds, the utility goes up a bit more.
Partial wings seem to be one of those things you would add on to a refit for the mech fighting in a specific environment rather than a general production model since the characteristics change based on the atmosphere available.

Register