Author Topic: ER Large Laser vs Standard PPC  (Read 31542 times)

massey

• Captain
Re: ER Large Laser vs Standard PPC
« Reply #60 on: 22 March 2011, 10:36:09 »
I like PPCs better, but that's in part because of the imagery.  Dual PPCs just seem a lot more dangerous than dual large lasers, even ER versions.

The big advantage to the ER large is that it is a lot lighter.  2 tons can make a big difference when weight is tight.  You can fit it into a lot of designs where a PPC just isn't feasible.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #61 on: 22 March 2011, 18:45:10 »
And you just made the PPC pointless. ::)
Hows about 9 pts of damage.  Now there is a diff between the reg and ER large lasers besides range and heat.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #62 on: 29 March 2011, 19:20:14 »
Often you save a little more than just the two tons since it doesn't have a minimum range that needs additional weapons to cover. I think if the ML didn't do such a fantastic job covering the PPC's butt we would see the ERLL used a lot more.
Of course the ERPPC trumps all. :)
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: 30 March 2011, 11:19:16 »
Often you save a little more than just the two tons since it doesn't have a minimum range that needs additional weapons to cover. I think if the ML didn't do such a fantastic job covering the PPC's butt we would see the ERLL used a lot more.
Of course the ERPPC trumps all. :)
PPC can fire within the minimum range by disabling the field inhibitors.

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 30 March 2011, 11:41:06 »
PPC can fire within the minimum range by disabling the field inhibitors.

PPCs can always fire at targets inside their minimum range, so that's not the problem. :) And to be honest...between a to-hit penalty on the one side and the 'advanced' option of disengaging inhibitors and incurring a fair chance of shooting myself in the foot on the other, I'd have to be pretty desperate not to choose the former. After all, a PPC that simply misses can potentially just try again next turn; one that's been wrecked by feedback, not so much.

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #65 on: 30 March 2011, 16:22:59 »
Quick question. If there were ER versions of the light and heavy PPCs would the extra heat be scaled proportionately or just be a flat five for both?
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

Beukeboom Fan

• Sergeant
« Reply #66 on: 30 March 2011, 16:34:21 »
Quick question. If there were ER versions of the light and heavy PPCs would the extra heat be scaled proportionately or just be a flat five for both?

Well, both the ERPPC & ERLL have a 50% add'l heat burden (and a 50% heat burden on the ML would take you to 4.5, which was rounded to 5), so I expect that's what they would probably do.  Not sure what to think about a 15 damage/22 heat weapon on a 7/14/23 rangeband.  It would probably be worth it on mech with 1 BFG, but I don't think you'd probably see really usage with more than one on a mech.  It would be a great combo with a GR though!  That would be a super Falconer!

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 30 March 2011, 16:38:40 »

Well, ER lasers seem to be going with a "50% extra heat, round up" approach over their comparable standard cousins, which would also seem to fit the ER PPC. So one could apply the same logic here as well.

Of course, that would make the hypothetical ER light PPC a long-range energy popgun without peer -- 8 heat per 5-point shot out to 23 hexes in a three-ton, two-crit package with no ammo worries? Where would I sign up?

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #68 on: 30 March 2011, 17:16:46 »
True, nobody would ever bother with an AC 2 or 5 anymore.
I'm not certain which way the heat index would go though since unlike lasers, different sized PPCs all have the same range to start with. Granted that would probably make it too good though.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 31 March 2011, 02:10:08 »
ER Heavies?  :o Screw headcapping, once the Clans make one you can core lights from long range!
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: 31 March 2011, 09:18:17 »
True, nobody would ever bother with an AC 2 or 5 anymore.

Did anyone ever bother with them to begin with? :D

Okay, I give. The AC/2 is useful as a mass sink when you have 7 tons and 2 crits left over and no heat sink capacity remaining. But that's ALL it's good for AFAICT.

Legion

• Master Sergeant
  • Je te provoque en duel, Freebirth!
« Reply #71 on: 31 March 2011, 09:39:14 »
Did anyone ever bother with them to begin with? :D

Okay, I give. The AC/2 is useful as a mass sink when you have 7 tons and 2 crits left over and no heat sink capacity remaining. But that's ALL it's good for AFAICT.

Sometimes it's fun to play around with an un-optimized design for a challenge.  Also, specialized ammo actually can be useful.
« Last Edit: 31 March 2011, 09:41:55 by Legion »

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: 31 March 2011, 10:35:32 »
Sometimes it's fun to play around with an un-optimized design for a challenge.  Also, specialized ammo actually can be useful.

Having actually used an assault mech equipped with C3, quad AC/2s and Precision ammo... color me unimpressed.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 31 March 2011, 17:12:39 »
If anything i would say quad RAC2s, or ultra 2s would be needed..

Showers

• Corporal
« Reply #74 on: 31 March 2011, 17:58:41 »
For the most part I'll always choose a PPC over a ER LL. With the advent of the LPPC , the ER Large Laser has even lost alot of its appeal as a weight-saving long-range gun for the lighter units. The only time  I'd go with a ER LL is when I absolutely need/want the range.

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #75 on: 01 April 2011, 08:53:32 »
Really the AC2 should only weigh 4 tons to be competitive. Otherwise people are just gonna go with an LRM5, since those last two hexes aren't all that critical with such a long range weapon.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #76 on: 01 April 2011, 15:55:42 »
I feel 3 tons is just right.  then 5 for the AC 5, 8 for the AC 10 and 12 for the AC-20.