Author Topic: Squishies n Crunchies...  (Read 9791 times)

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
Squishies n Crunchies...
« on: 18 March 2011, 03:02:01 »
Hey gang, Does anybody know of rules regarding PBI's and BA riding on the outside (like in history) of Vehicles?! Just Curious.

Thx for your support.

D69
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

NightmareSteel

• Master Sergeant
  • Snarky pedant, extraordinaire.
Re: Squishies n Crunchies...
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2011, 03:56:50 »
PBI?  Means whut?   ???

Total Warfare pages 226-7 indicates that BA can do the whole Mechanized bit with OminVehicles as well as OmniMechs.  The magnetic clamps subsection indicates that clamp-equipped BA can ride any non-VTOL 'Mech or Vehicle with a -1 cruise MP penalty.  It is worth noting that Aerospace units, Airships, and similar are explicitly excluded.

There is no allowance in the rules for conventional infantry riding on the exterior of a vehicle IFAIK.  This is probably because you normally try to get four to six guys riding on top of a tank, not 20+.  Note that a 3 ton bay (TechManual 239) will carry a full platoon of 28 conventional infantry; if you need conventional infantry assets deployed in force, then APC units (or MBTs with some personnel capacity) are going to be the way to go.

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2011, 04:04:15 »
PBI means : Poor Bloody Infantry.  ;)

Dave.

NightmareSteel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2011, 04:09:29 »
Right, I've heard that before.  Brain-fart. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)

Also, http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,983.0.html looks like a good OmniVehicle for dropping BA.  Since it's omni, you can also easily swap out for the infantry bay for the footsloggers.

Deathknight69

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2011, 04:31:24 »
Thanks for the help gang.
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2011, 07:01:22 »
Also infantry on the sides of vehicles makes poor ablative armor.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2011, 07:12:49 »
Not even against machine gun fire and the sandblaster of doom?

HavocTheWarDog

• Captain
  • Lead or Follow, but get outa my way!
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2011, 09:21:10 »
Also infantry on the sides of vehicles makes poor ablative armor.

they make for a nice red paint job though!(with lumps)
"Veni Vidi Vici"

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2011, 10:38:20 »
Red ones go faster....wait, wrong game.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2011, 13:05:47 »
There is no allowance in the rules for conventional infantry riding on the exterior of a vehicle IFAIK.  This is probably because you normally try to get four to six guys riding on top of a tank, not 20+.  Note that a 3 ton bay (TechManual 239) will carry a full platoon of 28 conventional infantry; if you need conventional infantry assets deployed in force, then APC units (or MBTs with some personnel capacity) are going to be the way to go.

Even the Abrams has instructions for a 9 man infantry squad to ride it.
It dose not matter if theirs lots of APCs around some one is going to want to ride a tank to their operations area.

I have seen pictures of a Pershing in Korea with at lest 40 GIs riding it. Heck I have seen a pic of an Abrams with at lest 6 marines riding it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M1A1_desant.JPEG

IIRC would it not be possible to have a friendly infantry unit swarm one of your own tanks and just not elect to attack it? If so theirs your tank desant troops.

seiryuu24

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2011, 21:34:30 »
Unarmored infantry should be able to mount a vehicle fairly easily. Maybe a squad or two. One turn to dismount and no turret rotation while mounted.

On the subject on infantry as armor however, while they may make poor ablative armor, there is not reason why BA units mounted onto the same vehicle as infantry couldn't use said infantry as cheap and effective reactive armor.

Got missiles incoming? Use that enhanced strength and chuck some infantry at it.

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 20 March 2011, 00:54:51 »
Eh, I'm pretty sure the OP is asking about rules for the infantry, not for the tanks. Meaning, he wants to simulate infantry doing like the russians did in WW2. Tankodonestas or whatever. Guys with SMGs who would ride the tanks.

However, I'm not sure how useful that would be in battletech. The infantry rode tanks more for protecting it from enemy infantry. But in battletech infantry are not really that prevalent.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 20 March 2011, 01:03:08 »
But in battletech infantry are not really that prevalent.

What gives you that impression? They've often been noted as one of the more frequent garrison units, in numbers and by deployment, even on backwater worlds.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 20 March 2011, 01:18:16 »
Yes, but I've yet to see someone deploy sufficient infantry on the table that my concern was protecting my tanks from them rather than killing them off quickly and moving on to a bigger threat.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 20 March 2011, 01:19:49 »
Ah, gotcha. Not prevalent on the game board I get. Not prevalent in the actuality of the setting, based on fluff...not so much.  :)

NightmareSteel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 20 March 2011, 04:19:38 »
Even the Abrams has instructions for a 9 man infantry squad to ride it.
It dose not matter if theirs lots of APCs around some one is going to want to ride a tank to their operations area.

I have seen pictures of a Pershing in Korea with at lest 40 GIs riding it. Heck I have seen a pic of an Abrams with at lest 6 marines riding it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M1A1_desant.JPEG

IIRC would it not be possible to have a friendly infantry unit swarm one of your own tanks and just not elect to attack it? If so theirs your tank desant troops.

Okay, so you could fit a squad, maybe two, on a tank.  I suspected 4 to 7, but I'll roll with instructions existing- I know how much the armed forces likes to cram people into small spaces.

I don't think you could fit a full platoon though- not even through the swarm infantry rationale.  Swarming infantry are trying to break it, not ride it; you don't need to ride a tank to toss a grenade into its tracks or break a periscope.  It seems to me that fitting more than a squad of people on a vehicle would be unsafe if it was maneuvering or driving at any high speed- more than say, 4 or 5 mp.  Battle Armour gets around this by A) having the claws/manipulators to hold on to the handholds provided by OmniVehicles, as per Total Warfare, and B) they're ****** Battle Armour.

This is, of course, just why the rules don't seem to exist at present.  I'd be cool with foot/jump infantry squads riding on tanks, but if the tank got shot, well... bad news for the squishies.

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 20 March 2011, 04:41:23 »
What gives you that impression? They've often been noted as one of the more frequent garrison units, in numbers and by deployment, even on backwater worlds.

Yeah sorry I meant in terms of in game.
As for in-universe, well there's infantry everywhere but would a lot of people really use tank riders? I don't know. It honestly might be cool to have rules for it. I think that the vast majority of people would not use it, but I'm sure some crazy guys would do it in certain situations. I mean transporting guys on a tank is one thing. Going into battle with guys on a tank is another.

Just consider the infantry to have successfully swarmed the tank, and have any damage vs the tank also apply to the platoon as well. And depending upon the rules for shaking off swarms, maybe there's a chance the infantry can be thrown off if the tank flanks for example.

It would give a little more oomph vs infantry. But not a whole lot more. Might be useful on tanks that don't have machine guns like Manticores and so forth. (though maybe the manticore has a flamer, can't remember. Either way you get the idea)
« Last Edit: 20 March 2011, 04:48:36 by Akalabeth »

NightmareSteel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 20 March 2011, 05:31:02 »
It could also be useful for quickly deploying troops to a building you want to fortify...

But then why not use an APC?

I'm with Ak, I think.  The rules might be cool, but deploying foot infantry in penny packets via tank just seems so... halfhearted.  Maybe if you came up with a tank with an "open" infantry compartment, one that the troops could shoot out of, would be more useful, but 28 guys shooting out the side of a truck, drive-by style, seems pretty unlikely.  My mental image resembles the angriest clown car ever.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #18 on: 22 March 2011, 02:03:38 »
Yeah, I asked about this on the last thread, and there are rules for it in Support Vehs.  CBT Vehicles also have larger surface areas IIRC than IRL ones.

And while you may have APCs, you do not always have them where you need them . . . and sending empty APCs that can be spotted on flank march while other armor assets transport the infantry to another sector of the battlefield for suprise and shock value can be interesting.  Hopefully for the opponent.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

NightmareSteel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 22 March 2011, 03:37:34 »
Interesting in the Chinese sense?  I like it.

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 24 March 2011, 15:55:01 »
Yeah, I asked about this on the last thread, and there are rules for it in Support Vehs.  CBT Vehicles also have larger surface areas IIRC than IRL ones.

And while you may have APCs, you do not always have them where you need them . . . and sending empty APCs that can be spotted on flank march while other armor assets transport the infantry to another sector of the battlefield for suprise and shock value can be interesting.  Hopefully for the opponent.

Hmmn, well I think your opponent would be more concerned about the Manticores than the APCs myself. Also they'd probably be able to spot 21 guys on the thing pretty easy. Thing is would having people on the tank suppress it's ability to function? Battle armour on mechs means they can't fire torso weapons. Can the tank still rotate it's turret and fire hull weapons while it's covered with friendlies?? I'm assuming the russian tanks did but they tended to concentrate on the rear of the hull so, they were naturally limited in how many people they could carry.

Point is I don't think you could get more than a squad or two on a tank and still have both the tank and infantry able to fight effectively. So if anything, a platoon could maybe pile on but only for the sake of transport.

It's interesting to note also that in WW2 the british tanks were equipped with tow hooks, enabling them to tow anti-tank guns in a pinch. Something similar could be used here if the infantry had field guns. Though probably only one gun towed per tank.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 24 March 2011, 21:12:59 »
Only a squad or two?
http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2621976360103673033GBvXgF
This pic has 30+ on the tank.

and a bunch more
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?149940-Infantry-riding-tanks/page5
and
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=85698&start=0

perhaps something like this
Light vehicles = 1 or 2 squads
Medium Vehicles = 2 or 3 squads
Heavy Vehicles = 3 or 4 squads
Assault Vehicles = 4 or 6 squads
Super Heavy = 6 or 8 squads.

With the vehicle being unable to fire it's own weapons, until the riders dismount (which would be handled the same way as infantry disembarking an APC).
One thing to keep in mind is b-tech vehicles are a bit bigger than real life vehicles.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #22 on: 24 March 2011, 21:20:49 »
If you want to house rule it.  The infantry has no fire control so that's a -2 penalty and I'd probably double the tank's move mods on the infantry to hit.

-Jackmc

Deathknight69

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 24 March 2011, 21:38:08 »
Thanks for all the input gang. I gotta ask more wild and crazy questions more often.

Trenchknife

• Sergeant
  • Combined Arms is Life and Death
« Reply #24 on: 24 March 2011, 22:18:37 »
If it goes faster than marching...or even a bit slower than marching...the PBIs are gonna ride it.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #25 on: 25 March 2011, 01:08:43 »
Have Tank will ride. I'm sure a couple dozen of infantry could ride a mech with no problem.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #26 on: 25 March 2011, 01:13:34 »
Eh, the mech has too many moving parts, and does not have the upper surface area as a platform.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 25 March 2011, 11:57:50 »
Eh, the mech has too many moving parts, and does not have the upper surface area as a platform.

Maybe a Quad like the Goliath or the Scorpion

Or that thing that looks like an AT-AT. Throw some infantry cargo bays in there!

Trenchknife

• Sergeant
  • Combined Arms is Life and Death
« Reply #28 on: 25 March 2011, 14:24:59 »
Have Tank will ride. I'm sure a couple dozen of infantry could ride a mech with no problem.

Someone has already mentioned the moving parts problem.  The other is that a 'Mech is too tall to dismount easily.  No PBI I know wants to take a 6m drop in full gear (for a quad) let alone a potential 12m drop from a bipedal 'Mech.  Tanks are much easier to drop off of.

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 28 March 2011, 12:14:37 »
Wouldn't infantry on tanks or on the outside of mechs be considered external cargo?

As for mechs carrying infantry, the Uni and Daedalus could carry infantry easily. The Uni could lower the infantry to the ground with it's lifts. The Daedalus probably unloaded its containers first and the infantry exited them on the ground. The Powerman could also carry infantry in it rear cargo area. .The Dasher was initially designed to carry infantry in arm mounted pods. The Marco shows a person riding on the outside on its observation platform.

Source material for the anime Goliath/ Crab Gunner says that it carries a squad of infantry. A variant carries even more on observation platforms. I've also got this pic of infantry riding on a Scorpion/Blizzard Gunner