Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week Repost: Flashman  (Read 24392 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
'Mech of the Week Repost: Flashman
« on: 14 November 2014, 14:50:49 »
From TRO:3039 and 3050

This will be the second time this article has been reposted, so anything that I'll add will be in italics to make sure what CoyoteWarDog and wantec originally wrote stays separate. First reposted on 30/04/2008.

wantec: For this first part I've copied what CoyoteWarDog wrote back on 03/08/04 about the Flashman.

The Flashman (thoughts on appearance: it's an egg with arms and legs) is, on the basis of fluff, the original fast high-end heavy 'mech before fast high-end heavies became an archetype. Thus, it can be said that the Flashman was "ahead of its time". (Of course, In real-life chronology, the Summoner and Timber Wolf were the prototypical high-mobility large heavy 'mechs.) I'll talk more about that later, but to maintain the usual Level 1-Level 2 progression, I'll analyze the anachronistic FLS-7K before the newtech variants.

"Retrofitting" with L1 tech' robbed the Flashman of most of what made it unique, but the FLS-7K is still a forward-looking design (or a backward-looking one, depending on which way you think of it) in that it was armed entirely with energy weapons. Most heavies in the 3025 era carried a mix of weapon types. Even 'mechs that used energy weapons as their primary armament (such as the Marauder and Warhammer) carried ballistics or missiles as backup weapons, and some seemed to have them simply as tokens. (As in the case of the Grasshopper. The Flashman, however, packed heat (I apologize for the pun) with two large lasers, five medium lasers (one rear-facing) and a flamer. Twenty-three standard heat sinks allowed it to use this arsenal quite effectively. The armor protection was quite good, and this, combined with the absence of ammo-dependent weapons, made the FLS-7K a very tough 'mech. On the downside, it has a couple of wasteful design features, such as the rear-firing laser (I think you all know my feelings on rear-facing weapons) and the useless flamer, which could have been replaced with more armor to max out the protection. The 4/6 movement curve, while all that could be expected from a 75-ton 'mech in Level 1 play, is still a little disappointing when compared to the L2 variant. Overall, the FLS-7K is an extremely solid heavy 'mech, but isn't a showstopper.

The FLS-8K, the Star League/3050 model, is the real deal. With a 375XL engine delivering a 5/8/0 movement curve, this variant takes the lightbulb arsenal a step further, with three large and five medium lasers and fifteen DHS to support them. The 8K makes the same mistakes as the 7K - one laser is rear-firing, and there's a flamer tacked on - but this Flashman is a very dangerous 'mech. Opponents may underestimate it because of its lack of a knockout weapon, but the FLS-8K is a superb vehicle for swift-moving slashing attacks.

The FLS-9C is the result of ComStar and Word of Blake modernizing their Star Legaue-era 'mech forces for compatibility with their newest technological toys, in this case the C3i computer. Ferro-fibrous armor and endo steel internals buy the spare weight needed for extensive improvements. The large lasers are upgraded to ER types and all but one of the mediums becomes a pulse laser. Speed and armor are maintained, and the FLS-9C gains an extra DHS in the process. The BV actually is lowered in the process. (Probably because of the greater possible excess heat.) This makes the FLS-9C well-suited to the role of C3i unit point man (albeit a rather heavier one than usual) or long-range sniper, capable of firing all three ER large lasers on two turns consecutively before having to cut back for the sake of heat dissipation.

The Flashman in general is a very underused and underrated 'mech that has very few dedicated fans. It makes a great choice for players looking to try something new or take an opponent by surprise.

wantec: A pretty good article. One thing CWD missed initially, that someone pointed out later, the -8K also has an anti-missile system and a ton of ammo in the right torso. Back in the day it wasn't that big an issue, the only time you could get your heat up to where you'd have to worry about an ammo explosion was on a running alpha strike with at least one engine hit. However; these days with the new plasma weapons and popularity of inferno SRMs, it could become an issue. The other thing the AMS does, it takes away from the flash-bulb/ammo-free nature that distinguished the FLS-7K from its contemporaries. Add in the fact that you have an IS XL engine and exploding ammo without CASE and you a 1.5 tons that could be better used.

Jump forward to the release of Total Warfare and suddenly the oft-criticized flamer, becomes more useful in the anti-infantry role that it was presumably included for.

Along comes TRO:3050U and we see three more variants. One, the WoB FLS-9B variant, has been briefly covered by Maelwys in WoB and You: Heavy Mechs, but I'll cover all three for you. The first is the Combine's FLS-C variant. Like you've probably guessed, this one trades the flamer off of the FLS-8K for a C3 Slave in the head, making the mech a nice, fast, heavy C3 point-man.

Next up is the -9B. This one starts from a -9C and trades the center torso ER Large Laser for an ER Small Laser, the Medium Pulse Laser in each side torso is traded for an ER Medium Laser, the rear-mounted Medium Laser and 4 double heat sinks were removed, and the cockpit was shrunk to a Small Cockpit. This allows the 375 XL engine to be traded for the more durable 375 Light engine. Lastly, the gyro and Ferro-Fibrous armor were traded for a compact gyro and Light Ferro-Fibrous armor, slightly increasing the armor protection. A lot of new space-saving technologies were used, but is no obvious reason, since there remains 16 free crit-spaces on the mech. This leads me to believe it is different for the sake of being different and falling victim to new-tech fever.

Lastly is the -9M variant, which appears to be a new factory design based on the -7K variant, is a step in the right direction in my mind. This version uses a Light engine to move 4/6 and save weight over the standard engine on the -7K. Endo Steel and Light Ferro-Fibrous armor help increase the weight savings which allow for the Large Lasers to be traded in for a massive Heavy PPC in each arm. The Flamer and rear-mounted Medium Laser are both removed, while two Medium Pulse Lasers are added to each side torso adding to the short-range barrage. With all the space taken by the Endo Steel and Light Ferro-Fibrous armor, there is only room for 15 double heat sinks. This means that heat sinks can only cover the HPPCs if you fire both and your heat will increase by any movement heat. However, up close the heat sinks can handle the barrage of 4 Medium Lasers and 4 Medium Pulse Lasers, plus running heat, for no heat gain/loss. There are a couple of ways to fix this minor heat issue, but I'll leave it up to you to decide what's the best way.

On a side note, I've used a modified Flashman FLS-7K in a Mercenaries campaign and it has performed well along-side our Marauder in the Command Lance.

~ ~ ~

GreekFire: The only thing that I might add to what CoyoteWarDog and wantec wrote is the availability of the Flashman by the Republic Era. Unfortunately, four of the models have been declared extinct by 3086: the -C, -7K, -9B and -9C. The remaining two variants (the -9M and -8K) were also produced by Hesperatus II, and remain in limited usage although neither was said to still be in production by the time Objectives: LC came out. The -9M is still fielded in very low numbers by the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth, while remaining -8Ks can be found within the M-S Commonwealth, Lyran space, the RotS, and in mercenary hands. The Clans also field an unknown number of ancient models, but even so, the Flashman may very well be on its way out.

The MUL has more info on the Flashman here: http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/1123/flashman-fls-7k
And CamoSpecs has a good number of painted examples here: http://camospecs.com/MiniList.asp?Action=Detail&ID=828
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
Re: 'Mech of the Week Repost: Flashman
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2014, 15:49:47 »
I have loved this mech since the 2750 came out. So many possibilities to tweak it. I was pretty sad when I read in the entry that the factory was destroyed.

Then the 3025 revised came out. There was hope!  What was the best for me was it was produced on Hes II! Such a solid machine. It was great for a mercenary company. since its availability I've always had one around. There are always uses for a flashbulb with speed like this one.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2014, 13:09:49 »
One of my favorite Mechs for SL-era campaigns, for the very reason stated in the fluff: no need to reload the main armament, which can be an almost priceless in campaigns where you may not get a chance to reload between battles. As for the AMS, I often dumped its ammo whenever I played a scenario with a Flashman, as the chance of an ammo explosion just wasn't worth it.

One thing I would note with the original article by CWD: the Flashman was the first fast heavy in both fluff and real life if we're using the criteria that I believe he is, ie. using a XLFE to combine the firepower and armor of a heavy with the mobility of a medium. The Flashman first appeared in TRO2750, which predated TRO3050 by a year, so the Clan heavies were indeed following in the its footsteps.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2014, 13:51:46 »
It is one of the first heavy cavalry units. There are other mechs, like the Ostsol and Ostroc, that are close to this mech profile. However, the use of DHS and XL really raises this mech to another league. Oddly enough, thanks to being ugly and not having PPCs or Gauss, it is an often underrated mech. There are not many mechs that move that fast, have that much armor and 3 guns that can deal more than 6 points of damage even in 3085. Just compare it with the beloved Hercules.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2014, 22:31:53 »
A few thoughts.

One, I'm going to be contrarian.  I don't really consider the AMS a weapon system, I consider it extra armor.  And the Flashman is only one ton short of it's max, it is maxed everywhere save the center torso and the legs.  Under the original AMS rules you'd burn through that ammo in two, maybe three uses.  So ammo explosion and dumping are low concerns, you'd likely have it off quick enough anyway.

The rear ML is part of the Flashman's assigned job as a pursuit linebreaker.  The concept was it would crash into the enemy's position when their ammo was expended and they started to pull mechs out to reload.  That fits with how heavy the rear torso armor is.  The flamer is useful as well to drive up heat, if you are playing with the Tacops heat rules.  If the target is already having trouble with coolant degradation then that extra bit of heat could lame it for you, and your lancemates to catch and kill it.

Yes, lancemates, I'd figure this is something you throw in as a lance or company.  You deliberately cause a melee.  Or do a modified 'back to back badasses' and have pairs of Flashmen facing away from each other.  One's rear ML also fires on the partner's forward weapons' target and vice versa.

Finally the flamer makes sense if using fire rules for two other jobs.  One as a behind the lines raider.  Nothing like a little pyromania to induce extra supply problems among your enemy.  And the second?  I assume this machine has a secondary role, covering for ammo using mechs that pull out to rearm.  The flamer is useful for starting fires to cover the withdrawal.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2014, 05:16:04 »
Great review of a simply classic design, sure its not visually pleasing unless you like eggs but the Flashman is a GREAT mech.  Its a solid trooper, that could have become as ubiquitious and dreaded as the Mad Cat many many years later.  The original 2750 design is a monster, a great fast, well armoured and hard hitting energy boat that does not need shiny toy guns or trinkets to do its job.  Not seen any of the variants in action but did once use a 2750 version with a 2750 Black Knight as a command lance pair and they were lethal!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Lord greystroke

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2014, 10:28:53 »
I Love this mech it has always been so solid in my hands so much so my group has banned my use of it as the large lasers always went to the same location so may as well of had a gauss rifle

DavyJones

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2014, 10:39:00 »
  What R2D2 wishes he was  :D .A real nice machine I would love to have seen a Star League Royal model this machine just screams for endo and FF .

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 16 November 2014, 11:05:08 »
Thats actually a good point, there's no Royal version of this machine, although perhaps upgrading two of the larges to ER's to extend its punch might be an option, combined with Endo and any weight saved going into armour to make a Royal?

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #9 on: 16 November 2014, 15:29:37 »
Thats actually a good point, there's no Royal version of this machine, although perhaps upgrading two of the larges to ER's to extend its punch might be an option, combined with Endo and any weight saved going into armour to make a Royal?

I remember a couple years back the designers being asked why there wasn't a Royal Flashman.  Their response was basically, "How?"

The Flashman is actually one of my and one of my brother's favorite Mechs of all time, for its sheer simplicity.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 16 November 2014, 19:28:48 »
I remember a couple years back the designers being asked why there wasn't a Royal Flashman.  Their response was basically, "How?"

It uses standard internal structure and armor.  It can take Endo and Ferro, and replace and the MLs, including the rear one, with MPLs for a one point armor reduction.  Or go with ER Larges, and Endosteel only.  That could squeeze in three extra DHS and a bit more armor, or CASE for the AMS ammo.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: 16 November 2014, 21:54:00 »
My only grip with the Flashman has been that 'walking potato' look. Though the Flashman pulls it off better than the other SLDF designs that followed.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #12 on: 16 November 2014, 23:12:40 »
Fun little 'mech.  It was my first 'Mech miniature I picked up about half way through Mechwarrior 2: Mercinaries.  I used that as my command ride as it was fast, tough, and with the custom I cooked up (removed the AMS and something else to include SRM's that had Inferno rounds as well as the flamer.)  I'd charge whatever I wanted and alpha strike it, spike it's heat, and sick my lance mates (Atlas, Warhawk, and Mauler.)  Worked well enough, though the last few missions were pretty tough!

So I got the miniature and... yeah, it ended up sitting around.  I'm pretty sure I sold it several years ago after repainting it WoB.  I just don't remember.

Now?  I'm hooked on the 7K in Succession War play.  More armor than than just about all of the other heavies of the era and consistent firepower and heat management.  Speed is average, but I've almost always managed to get to knife fighting range against the Berserk Princess Bot profile.  Working with a 6R Wolverine, 2H Shadow Hawk, and WLF-1 Wolfhound has been a good mix of speed and firepower.  The Flashman is defiantly the firepower of the unit but works well with those guys.  now to buy another miniature and paint it! :)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #13 on: 17 November 2014, 00:26:25 »
So I got the miniature and... yeah, it ended up sitting around.  I'm pretty sure I sold it several years ago after repainting it WoB.  I just don't remember.

I share your pain.

I've got one I'm planning on working over sometime. First, I'm going to remove the legs at the hip, move into a running pose, and re-attach more centrally. If I lose some of the mudflaps at the back, too bad.

Then I'm going to cut the arms - carefully - at the elbows, and repose like the TRO art above - bent. Not that "zombie walk/parade rest" straightness.

Will it help? We'll see, sometime.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 17 November 2014, 14:47:18 »
Yea, if there is a mech that needs a new sculpt that looks like the art above it's this one.
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 17 November 2014, 16:56:39 »
I had recently picked up one of the figs for use..... and had just primed it, when I was given another one.... this one being one of the originial Ral Parth Lead ones.... but the person who had it, had lost the arms, and substituted them with the arms from a Crocket... also in lead.

I plan on using the Crocket arm version as my 3025 design, but am going to field the other as my twin Heavy PPC carrier....... now, I just have to choose good color scheme.
I'm interested in knowing if the RoTS has any of the Blakist variants running around, and how well they would integrate with a Lament and other RoTS forces?

Also, could you point me in the direction of the "Maelwys in WoB and You: Heavy Mechs" articles?

Nahuris
« Last Edit: 17 November 2014, 17:05:07 by Nahuris »
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: 17 November 2014, 20:55:14 »
I fell in love with the Flashman in TRO:2750, it was unique and it faded away.   

I know alot folks may have been extremely happy that Hesperus II / Defiance suddenly retroactively stole the plans of this nasty lady from claws of the Star League, but it sort took something that made it special.  Rare machine that could turn tables due to it's speed and deadly firepower and was mauled to extinction.   Not so much, making perhaps to me less special since original fluff made it bit more grander in my mind.

Anyways, looking at this bad boy, i suddenly realize that Flashman could be spiritual grandfather of the Fireball, since they similar appearances. 

Thanks for the repost Greekfire and the indepth reviews of CoyoteWarDog and wantec!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #17 on: 17 November 2014, 23:06:52 »

The Flashman is actually one of my and one of my brother's favorite Mechs of all time, for its sheer simplicity.
the existing SLDF flashman is already using as much advanced tech as most of the Royals.. it seems likely that it, the Pillager, the Nightstar, etc were already in use in the royal regiments. further changes may not have been seen as worth the extra effort.

btw.. does anyone else think it odd the art (and the mini) look like it mounts an SRM4 in one torso?
« Last Edit: 17 November 2014, 23:09:53 by glitterboy2098 »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #18 on: 18 November 2014, 00:09:08 »
Always thought that was the AMS.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Rage

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 18 November 2014, 00:24:44 »
It is. It just looks kinda like an SRM 4

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 18 November 2014, 02:55:15 »
Also, could you point me in the direction of the "Maelwys in WoB and You: Heavy Mechs" articles?

Unfortunately, I grabbed this from the old forums and wasn't able to recover a copy of that WoB article. Your best bet would be asking Maelwys himself if he still has a copy of it.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #21 on: 18 November 2014, 15:47:48 »
btw.. does anyone else think it odd the art (and the mini) look like it mounts an SRM4 in one torso?
Yes.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #22 on: 26 November 2014, 05:55:07 »
A good mech that happens to look like a potato.  A good ugly killer potato. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #23 on: 26 November 2014, 07:44:05 »
Great Mech, good firepower in its original form.  Hard to discribe to people that its not a person with a trench coat with little else on.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 26 November 2014, 10:20:27 »
I remember this thing in the original (AND BEST) mechwarrior mercs, it goosestepped when it walked :s

Redman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #25 on: 26 November 2014, 11:57:39 »

Drop the AMS, install endo-steel, add four more DHS, replace Large Lasers with ER versions and maximise armour. Now you can fire all three ER large lasers at a full run while staying heat neutral. Close in you replace one ER Large for four mediums and you still don't build up heat. This is about as munchy as you can get with 2750-era tech.
As players, we see units in a completely different light to how they would be viewed in universe: they're not just playing pieces that fight to destruction to achieve victory at any cost in this evening's game session, but instead men and women that represent years of training and investment, and living to fight another day can be viewed more important than a Pyrrhic victory.  -- sillybrit

The Succession Wars are fought over water, ancient machines, and spare parts factories. Control of these elements will lead to final victory and the domination of known space. -- BattleTech Boxed Set, 2nd Edition

wesharrisb

• Lieutenant
  • 8-Bit Battletech
« Reply #26 on: 27 November 2014, 02:06:28 »
A good mech that happens to look like a potato.  A good ugly killer potato.
[wildandcrazy]
This is better, yes?

]

« Last Edit: 08 December 2014, 22:39:50 by wesharrisb »

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 27 November 2014, 02:27:37 »
What mech is that?