Author Topic: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2  (Read 249517 times)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2
« Reply #660 on: 04 April 2017, 07:13:59 »
Capellans going in with their ships the way did was brutal.  They must have broken some rules of the Ares agreement. They hit civilian locations.  I'm very surprised the SLDF isn't being called up to take care of this.
The SLDF are split between the Jade Falcon and Wolf Empire boarders, and barely have enough warships for that, and even if the FedSuns are willing to sell them more Indies, with the threat of resurgent CapCon and Combine fleets, they'll probably want to keep any new builds for themselves.

That said, I do remember my conversation with DragonCat regarding the Fenwick system...  8)
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2
« Reply #661 on: 04 April 2017, 19:49:25 »
Next update nowhere near ready so I'll answer here

Snakespinner it's actually the Cats second Battleship after the former Goliath Scorpion Nighlord
As for lots of unbusy ships the Falcon ones won't be quiet for too long

Vition they were always Raven but when I decided there would be a ToP Sword of Orion jumped at me to become a cat ship on the top of my head I know a Splendid and an Aegis were lost I can't remember third

TT I haven't forgotten about it and it's introduction will be in 3109.  You might even see both versions of it in a way

Wrangler Politics, while JA Baker makes a valid point as well, the Cappies are not in the League any deployment of the SLDF would be one of declaring war.  While the FS would like that others want the SLDF doing what they are supposed to do watch the Clans.  Also Regulus do not want the SLDF involved since they benefit from a weak Oriente. There's going to be a lot on this.

JA yeah what we discussed especially the SA in a big role in that system anyway
« Last Edit: 04 April 2017, 19:51:00 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #662 on: 10 April 2017, 15:28:15 »
Finally ending 3108 - I'll be putting up unit listings, WarShips and the map but not tonight as I'm shattered just an update.

Defence Line
Ronel, Addicks PDZ
Draconis March, Federated Suns
8th December 3108

After being forced from Ozawa Colonel Hague, commander of the McCarron’s Armoured Cavalry had requested a posting off the front-lines but they had got as far as Ronel before the Draconis Combine had come calling once more only this time they were combined with the Second Robinson Rangers RCT who were far from ready to be forced into retreat.  Now Major Ariana Steiner stalked her Warhawk OmniMech along the front-lines targeting an enemy causing heavy damage to an enemy Mauler BattleMech.  Ariana was lining up a second shot when an Ajax Assault Tank bearing the colours of the Second Robinson moved out from Ariana’s rear arc and opened fire on the Mauler with its trio of rotary autocannons tearing open the enemy BattleMech puncturing the missile ammunition bays causing a huge explosion which consumed the enemy BattleMech.  Ariana watched as the Ajax drove along the line engaging a Grand Dragon BattleMech which had been weakened by defence fire from the Rangers/Cavalry line.

The fighting continued for several hours as the defenders held the line and Ariana lost track of the Ajax but she wasn’t done with the crew.  After the battle she stalked around the base looking for the armour crew eventually finding a young man standing near one of the Rangers Ajax tanks he wore the uniform and insignia of a Captain but looked far too young for the rank.  “I’m looking for the commander of this vehicle.”

“That would be me” he answered confidently Ariana looked him up and down he was an attractive young man, perhaps around twenty years old, with brown hair and a well trimmed beard.

“You enjoy stealing other people’s kills?”  She asked accusingly

“We are all on the same side, Major, I was simply doing my bit for my nation and my Prince as you do for your regiment and employer” He said she realized that he was trying to get a reaction from her but at the same time making sense fighting the Combine was not some honour duel.

“While I agree we are on the same side I could have taken the BattleMechs arranged against me.”  She said annoyed that this tanker didn’t seem to care that he had interfered in a bigger battle.  But his attitude made her more curious than anything.

“What’s your name Captain?”

“Duncan Sandoval” he replied Ariana looked at him more carefully for a moment suddenly seeing the family resemblance between Duncan and his father Tancred Sandoval.  She had known the young scion of was a member of the AFFS but she hadn’t realized he had joined the armour corps or that he had been assigned to the Combine border.  Suddenly the Ajax and his rank made sense as did him not caring he was becoming involved in a battle between MechWarriors.

“Was this your first real combat against the Combine?”  He nodded his reply “you did well, hopefully we will fight together again in the future” she said nodding to him before walking off knowing find that he was watching her walk off.

Science Block C
Wolf Compound 4, Gallery
Halfway Province, Lyran Commonwealth
16th December 3108

Dressed in the simple white jacket and blue trousers of a Clan scientist the middle aged woman entered the office finding the elderly scientist sitting behind the desk.  “Scientist Riko” she said greeting him as she entered.

“Scientist Elda” he said looking up from his work as she closed the door behind her “what brings you to my humble office?”  He asked keeping up appearances before she turned towards him the door closed.  “What do you have for me?”  He asked in a different tone as he realized the door was closed.

“Star Colonel Djordje has taken our advice to stand down from his position.  Star Captain Daniela is most likely to succeed him as commander of the Eleventh assuming the Lyrans will allow our warriors to retain their arms?”  She asked moving to the chair opposite him as she did Riko handed her a piece of paper.

“The Lyran High Command has decided that the Eleventh and Twelfth will be Gallery’s official garrison force.”  He said summarizing it “they want the militia forces elsewhere and the planetary administrator is quite happy with our Wolves as his defenders?”

“And all it took was a pair of Elemental suits” she said a trade she had suggested involving giving the administrator two of their Battle Armour suits for his personal guard force.

“It seems to have worked” Riko noted “three more of the older warriors have chosen to retire as well opening slots for our new cadets.”  He said most of the experienced warriors who had been left behind had stayed because in a Clan as large as Clan Wolf they would have been forgotten at a garrison post or eliminated in a suicide mission.  At least here they could live out their years, none were a threat to Riko or Elda.  While the younger warriors were even less of a threat most knew little to nothing about being members of a true Clan instead they had grown up with stories of the Exiles battles against the Falcons believing that those were the glory days of old and now they were angry because they were no longer part of Clan Wolf perfect for moulding to their needs.

“That makes over half of the Eleventh and most of the Twelfth under our influence.”  Elda said “how are our communications…?”

“There is none of them left within our reach” Riko said glancing towards the floor “the Clans have been very effective in their searches, more effective than we could have expected.”

“So if we had remained with the Wolves we would have been found out” Elda suggested.

“Aff, it appears so”

“Our dream of overcoming the warriors is over.”

“Neg, our dream of destroying the Clans still burns.  Now it comes from somewhere else” Riko suggested seeing the question on Elda’s face “from within the Inner Sphere.  It was people who came from the Inner Sphere who brought birth to the Clans so it will be poetic that it will be people from the Inner Sphere who bring the death of the Clans.”  He pondered “they have already begun the journey with the destruction of the Smoke Jaguars.  The people of this state hate the Clans for the damage they have done” He said rising from his chair “we will continue to nurture this hatred until the Falcons, Wolves and all the others fall.”

Pirate Raids
Isle of Skye, Lyran Commonwealth
21st December 3108

Despite the best efforts of the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces and the hired mercenary forces pirate raids continue to Carnwath, Izar and Zebeneschamali causing dozens of deaths, including the death of the Zebeneschamali Duke, hundreds of thousands of Kroner in damages to local businesses and civil unrest on each of the three worlds.  In each raid the pirates are able to slip away before the defenders are able to fully deploy.  These attacks lead to the Third Isle of Skye Guards RCT being deployed to the three worlds with a battalion of BattleMechs and two support regiments to all three worlds in an attempt to stop further attacks but many within the Isle of Skye believe that it isn’t enough eying the Draconis Combine as the most likely culprits for the attacks.

SLS Bremen, Peter-class Scout Ship
Fenwick, Alya Prefecture
Dieron Military District, Draconis Combine
27th December 3108

Simon Rosberg’s stomach rolled as the SLS Bremen jumped into what they believed was the Fenwick system.  Immediately after entry to the system the small Peter-class Scout Ship automatically made a course correction diving away from the jump point.  “Report!”  Captain Blake Hammond commanded as he recovered from the surprise manoeuvre.

“Automatic computer correction” one of the crewmen reported from her station “micro-meteors heading for the jump point.  If we were a JumpShip we’d be caught in that in a couple of hours crippled or worse.”

“Coincidence?” Hammond pondered looking at Rosberg as he spoke Simon knew that the Captain didn’t believe it “show me the system.”  After a couple of moments the Bremen’s scanners showed images of the star system, all twelve planets, six of them gas giants with a massive amount of moons and a huge asteroid/debris ring between the eighth and ninth planets.  Hammond turned towards Rosberg “four planets and nothing to write home about.  Those Combine scouts were either drunk or hiding something.”  He said looking over the initial scan “this is going to take months to search through, months we don’t have.”  He said as Rosberg began looking over the scans.

“Ignore the first three planets they are burned rocks too hot to even consider life.  The fourth is a gas giant with a few moons but it looks like the heat from the sun makes its orbit unpredictable nothing could survive near it.”  He said rapidly looking through the data hoping to save something from this mission.  Four is possible but Five and Six might be better candidates they are just outside the habitation zone but both are giants that produce heat, hell if we came back in a couple of hundred thousand years we might find a second sun” he said looking at the data.  “Beyond Seven looks frozen but internal heat from those Giants could be putting out enough heat to support life on a couple of their moons.”

“Right we’ll give one, two and three the once over as we flyby.  We’ll spend a couple of days at four and the rest between five and six.  If there’s nothing by Six I’m calling it quits Major.”

“Understood Captain” Simon Rosberg said continuing to look at the data he had no idea how the Combine scouts could have gotten things so wrong… and how no-one else had come across this system.  Something wasn’t wrong with Fenwick and he planned on finding out what it was and he had nine days before they reached planet four to refine his search perimeters.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #663 on: 10 April 2017, 16:14:32 »
Things are getting deep with the Wolves.  More Society Scientists?  With Mountain Wolves leaving the Commonwealth, its confusing how they've left behind people unless the merge hasn't been announced yet.

I like the bit with Sandoval, it was nice throw back when Duncan's Great Great Grandfather Aaron Sandoval (the 1st from 3000s) was first a tanker.

Intriguing update, Dragon Cat!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #664 on: 11 April 2017, 00:02:12 »
This is after the Mountain Wolves have left two clusters remained behind as did sone scientists and civilians (less than 10,000 total)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #665 on: 11 April 2017, 09:59:08 »
Very interseting update, lots of yummy plot hooks too!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #666 on: 11 April 2017, 16:28:01 »
Very nice

Interesting defense system in the Fenwick system 8)
and the Society found a place to survive that the Clans can't purge without more trouble then it will be worth.  Unless they are willing to resort to Oribital Bombardments to secure the battlefields >:D
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #667 on: 12 April 2017, 17:01:55 »
The newest map is on this page on OurBattleTech

https://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/index.php?topic=1092.30

I will get units and WarShips soon

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #668 on: 12 April 2017, 18:54:21 »
Waits patiently...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #669 on: 13 April 2017, 16:54:33 »
Finally WarShip and Unit lists

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #670 on: 13 April 2017, 21:43:50 »
Thanks Dragon Cat, you really put your heart in to this universe!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #671 on: 13 April 2017, 21:48:15 »
I really enjoy the ship lists.  looking forward to another year of action. 

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #672 on: 14 April 2017, 08:46:45 »
The SLDF are split between the Jade Falcon and Wolf Empire boarders, and barely have enough warships for that, and even if the FedSuns are willing to sell them more Indies, with the threat of resurgent CapCon and Combine fleets, they'll probably want to keep any new builds for themselves.

That said, I do remember my conversation with DragonCat regarding the Fenwick system...  8)

The SLDF had sent a couple units to shore up the defenses of the DC, though I don't know if that's still the case - I haven't looked at the unit spreadsheet too hard yet.

Great update Dragon Cat, I'm looking forward to learning more about Fenwick, and the remote location of a potentially major Society holding has many interesting possibilities.  >:D

Also, new map in my link for the beginning of 3109 - I think I got all the changes, but please let me know if any discrepancies are noticed.  :)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #673 on: 17 April 2017, 16:57:21 »
marauder: you know me I like twists

Wrangler: I've described it previously as an addiction.  But I really love he BT universe it's something I enjoy exploring and with this AU in particular, writing by itself has a way of just letting my mind settle down and unwind.  The fact that you all enjoy some of the things I come up with is an added bonus and I'm very pleased to share my little adventure and even more surprised that so far things have gone to plan.

cawest: guaranteed

Vition: more on Fenwick this time around, Society soon, thanks for your work on the map and with other fun things including things to come ;)

Before this update I want to thank JA Baker for letting me play with Fenwick it was originally his creation and this version of the small Duchy is based off of one of his suggestions.

New Year’s Party
New Bealton, Odessa
Donegal Province, Lyran Commonwealth
1st January 3109

Despite being on assignment every now and then everyone needed a break and New Years was the perfect time for it.  Major Morgan Christifori and his unit were stood down from combat assignments and the whole unit were enjoying a party in the premium club in the capital city of Odessa it was nice to relax and enjoy the night as he danced a beautiful woman began dancing near him she had a well tanned and toned body, wore a gold and black dress and brown hair with blonde highlights he couldn’t quite help but look at her and gravitate towards her.

As 3109 began the two danced and enjoyed their night Morgan discovered her name was Marika Danko, a customs and imports officer for Odessa’s spaceport, and couldn’t help but remain near her.  When they woke in the morning in Marika’s apartment Morgan woke to deployment orders which would take him to Eaglesham on the Lyran Commonwealth/Draconis Combine border the new couple’s time cut short by duty.

Family Dinner
Buckwell Family Estate, Washburn
District of Marik, Free Worlds League
2nd January 3109

As a couple was being torn apart by duty another was trying to put duty aside and mend something that had been broken.  Sitting opposite his wife Joseph Marik really wasn’t looking at the meal in front of him instead he was looking at his wife Lucy Marik she was as beautiful as the day he had met her although he could still tell she was angry with him.  “This is nice” he said trying to break the ice he’d arrived the day before but this was their first meeting.

“Eat your food before it gets cold” Lucy said continuing to eat.  Joseph decided to accept that they were together and call it a win and began to eat.  “You didn’t take Zach with you?”

“I didn’t think it would be appropriate…”

“Appropriate to be with the rest of his family” Lucy snapped “I’m still his mother Joe.”

“I didn’t think it would be appropriate” he repeated “because the scientists are preparing him for his operation.”  He said this time he continued to eat forcing her to ask further questions and take an interest in their son.

“What operation?”  She demanded

“The doctors who fitted the artificial heart stated that it would not last him long before long he would be reliant on external sources to keep him alive.”  He explained seeing her disgust “so I contacted Clan Sea Fox and made a deal.”

“What sort of deal?”  She asked her food forgotten as she realized her husband had not only taken steps to artificially keep their son alive but now he had made a deal with the Clan devils to keep him alive.

“They have grown him a new heart, one that lacks the natural imperfections, it is a long and dangerous operation but he is strong and will pull through.”  He stated as the doors crept open and in entered six year old Anson Marik.

“Father!”  He shouted running into the room moments later his younger sister Ruth followed by Malachi and finally three year old Aaron who ran into Joseph’s open arms sweeping him up off the ground.

“I needed this” Joseph said over the children’s excited questions on seeing their father.

“So did they” Lucy admitted

“Come back to Marik” he said pleading with her to unite their family.

“Perhaps after Zach’s procedure” she suggested “stay tonight?”  She asked him quietly as the children continued to jump around excited that their father was there with them.

“Of course I will” he said pulling his wife into a close hug their closeness tonight giving him a little hope that they were heading in the right direction.

Unfortunately elsewhere things were not heading in the right direction as news filtered through that the District of Oriente had struck back at the Capellan Confederation with its full force going on the offensive Oriente had struck at the systems of Ipswich, Anegasaki, Shuen Wan and Pella II employing nuclear weapons in all four to completely obliterate the CCSS Chancellor’s Sword in the Pella II system, to heavily damage the CCSS Chancellor’s Pride in the Ipswich, forcing its withdrawal, and to scour the surface of Ipswich system of all life including the Ninth Capellan Armoured Cavalry, the Sixteenth and Eighteenth Capellan Lancers units.  Fighting continues between the Ducal Guard and the Capellan Confederation defenders on Pella II as both sides refuse to employ weapons of mass destruction, unfortunately now Pandora’s Box had been opened few could predict where the madness would end.  On Terra, Oriente and Sian diplomats scramble to try and bring the two nations back from the brink but with hundreds of thousands of deaths on Ipswich neither side with to act diplomatically.  On Atreus the Free Worlds League Parliament convene an emergency meeting with Captain-General Joseph Marik summoned to explain why he had not controlled Oriente’s use of weapons of mass destruction in direct violation of the Ares Conventions, which all Star League states continued to abide by.

System Survey Mission, SLS Bremen
Fenwick, Alya Prefecture
5th January 3109

The SLS Bremen had made steady progress through the Fenwick system passing by the first second and third planets of the system making long range scans finding nothing to spark their interest.  The fourth planet was of more interest a gas giant with multiple moons the Bremen had planned to spend a couple of days around the planet so Major Simon Rosberg made a slow entry into the command bridge expecting the ship to be making standard survey mission however his arrival showed a ship preparing for additional manoeuvres “Captain?”  He said glancing at Captain Blake Hammond who sat near the centre of the compact bridge.

“We detected an artificial metal signature from the asteroid field and the planets beyond” he said “I’ve decided to skip four and head deeper into the system we’ll make scans of the moons as we pass but none appear to have an atmosphere.”

“Just means more time for the other planets” he noted heading over to one of the consoles looking at some of the data “another three days until five” he noted as the Bremen’s main drives kicked in moving them away from the planet.  As they moved into open space there was suddenly a huge emergence wave in the system as a ship completed a jump.  “That isn’t possible” he whispered stunned at what the Bremen’s systems were telling him.  As the ship righted itself in space only a few thousand kilometres away was a one thousand six hundred metre long, million tonne behemoth that was supposed to be extinct.  Glancing around the bridge Simon realized in his confusion he had missed the opening communications between the massive WarShip and the Bremen and looked at Captain Hammond.

“I don’t know how but it’s the SLS Cavalier, a Stefan Amaris-class Battleship, and we are intruders into the domain of the Grand Duchy of Fenwick.”  He explained looking at Rosberg “we are to follow them to their base of operations or be destroyed.”

“That isn’t possible there were only two of those ships commissioned into the SLDF Fleet during the Civil War and both of them were destroyed during the Liberation of the Terran Hegemony!”  Simon Rosberg replied looking at the Captain “all of those ships were destroyed none salvaged.”

“Well this one was and as far as they are concerned this is the last Star League Defence Force and we are intruders.  We don’t have an option here, Major.”

“An option” Rosberg repeated “Captain, we have an opportunity and we need to make the most of it.  Pass among the crew if anyone has any contact with these people best behaviour.  I’m taking command of the mission” he said making it clear to Captain Hammond what was happening before he had been an observer, and perhaps a minor nuisance, now however with contact with the natives Simon wanted to make sure that everything went well.

“Yes sir” Captain Blake Hammond replied annoyed at the sudden change in his passenger but not completely surprised they were the sole representatives of the new SLDF in this system and they needed to make the best first impression.

Reception Area, Grand Duchy of Fenwick
Fenwick, Alya Prefecture
11th January 3109

The Stefan Amaris-class Battleship Cavalier had escorted them past the fifth planet’s orbit and into orbit of the sixth planet without issue with the Bremen causing them no trouble.  Had the Bremen wished to escape there had been plenty opportunity instead they had coasted alongside the massive Battleship until they reached the sixth planet.  There, once the Bremen was in the gravity well, they were commanded to send a small craft to meet a group of aerospace fighters.

Major Simon Rosberg had remembered seeing the classic Star League Rapier RPR-100b waiting for his small craft.  The aerospace fighter squadron had escorted them on a complex course past several of the moons moving closer and closer to the big orange gas giant.  Finally they had entered the orbit of a large moon which was covered in beautiful oceans and green trees.  Despite being well out of the system’s habitation zone the moon was kept warm by the heat coming from the gas giant.  They had been escorted by the aerospace fighters down through the atmosphere towards a small city below nestled in and around the forests that blanketed the world.  Rosberg could only think that the radiation from the planet and the forest cover had hidden the moon but he had no idea how the Combine scouts had missed this planet.  From the small craft he was escorted from the small spaceport to a reception area nearby where he had waited.  Captain Hammond had offered to send down an escort but the Bremen was a small craft and not designed to send crewmen for ground excursions the small craft was normally for collecting supplies and transferring crewmen but not today.  Instead Simon Rosberg stood waiting patiently in the well equipped waiting room with a door at either side of the room and a window looking into the forest that surrounded the spaceport facility.  The door behind him opened and Simon turned to look seeing a middle aged man in a modified Star League Defence Force General’s uniform.  “I am Field Marshal Galen Prescott it has been many years but I welcome you to the Grand Duchy of Fenwick.”

“Major Simon Rosberg of the Star League Defence Force” he replied looking at the man.

“So many years” he whispered as if he had spoken to the Star League in person before despite the long years of isolation for the people of Fenwick.  “So how can we be assistance?”

“I was sent to make contact with your after all these years and access the condition here at Fenwick.”

“Sent by the Commanding-General him/herself I take it?”  Prescott asked continuing to fish for information.

“Not quite” he admitted “the leader of the Star League Protectorate Duke Bannister Cameron.”

“The Star League Protectorate… and a living Cameron… after all these years” he repeated slowly before drawing his laser pistol side arm pointing it at Rosberg “do you think we are backward idiots?”  He demanded “your ship is an impressive piece of technology and your uniform a good replica but the Star League fell after the murder of the Cameron family by Amaris, Kerensky left the Inner Sphere with the Star League army and years of war followed.  People forgot about us but we didn’t forget about the Inner Sphere we’ve come across many like you ‘Major’ and we’ll be ready for many more.”  He said as two guards entered the room “for now you and your crew will be our guests until we decide what to do with you.”

“Field Marshal please I am a Major in the reformed Star League Defence Force!”  Rosberg protested as the two guards took an arm each and began to drag him out “I was sent to re-establish contact with you and offer you a place within the Protected Planets!”  He shouted as the door slid closed behind him.  From the other side of the room and two women entered one elderly wearing an elaborate red and blue gown while the other wore a far simpler white dress her dark hair tied up in a single ponytail.

“Grand Duchess Gloriana” Prescott said saluting her as she entered.

“What do you think of him Field Marshal?”

“He has spirit my lady, but then so did the others that have come to Fenwick, we will find out the truth.”

“Do you think it is possible he is telling the truth?”  The younger woman asked looking past Prescott at the now closed door.

“I do not see how it could be possible Lady Emily the last we heard from the greater Inner Sphere was that a conflict known as the Fourth Succession War had just begun.  What force would make the families of the Inner Sphere come together to reform the League without the Cameron family, and the Hegemony, to act as a counter balance.

“But he spoke of a Cameron” Emily protested

“Unfortunately, my daughter, I have to agree with the Field Marshal” Gloriana said looking at the younger woman. “Amaris was quite effective at wiping out the Cameron family the records we have back to those days are quite clear.”  She said looking out the window for a moment “Field Marshal Prescott I trust that your people will go over their ship and its crew with a fine toothcomb.  It has been many years since we have had visitors and we need to discover if they can become productive members of this society or if we will have to section them.”

“Section?” Emily said suddenly stunned looking at her mother.

“If they are a threat to us then we will have no option” Gloriana Fenwick replied “they will be well cared for and they will serve us all.”

“A life of hard labour on the asteroids is not well cared for!”  Emily Fenwick snapped back at her mother she did not agree with the practice of “Sectioning” prisoners to hard labour as punishment.

“The law is quite clear” Gloriana said sternly “I didn’t make the rules but I will follow them.”

“You have the power to change…”

“Enough” the elder Fenwick finally said to the side Field Marshal Prescott stood uncomfortably as the family members disagreed “it is what it is Emily you will understand when it is your turn to rule you will understand sacrifices must be made to maintain our way of living and complete the tasks that were left for us.”

“But if the Star League have returned…”

“I said enough” Gloriana said this time the anger gone replaced with a calm resolve that indicated her decision was made on the matter and would not be changed today.

Council Chambers
City of Andrey, Tukayyid
Clan Territory, Inner Sphere
20th January 3109

Even as the Fox’s Whelps Khanate of Clan Sea Fox claimed control over the newly completed Halcyon-class Cruiser Triad above Tukayyid at the Unity Shipyards Loremaster of the Clans Thomas Ward stalked around the chambers below on Tukayyid.  “We need more resources, Star Colonel” he said looking at one of his subordinates in the Ebon Guard.

“The Clans give Tukayyid what it requires they support its continued development.”

“Not enough” Ward said “we are Clan are we not Star Colonel Diego Binetti?”

“Aff, but we are and we have been tasked with defending Tukayyid and now Solaris.”  Binetti replied he was originally from Clan Jade Falcon but was heading towards the end of his career, like many others who were part of the Ebon Guard, he had not shown the passion, skill, ambition or a combination of the three to succeed as a Falcon and been relegated to the Ebon Guard.  In some ways Thomas Ward felt sorry for the man but in other ways the Falcon’s loss was his gain.

“We were not born to defend” Thomas Ward complained

“We do not have much choice.”

“We do not?  We have ships, we have weapons of war and warriors why should we not strike out?”  Ward asked “the Clans do not want to give us all we need then we trial for it.”  He stated “pick your people Star Colonel you leave for Altenmarkt the Bears are waiting for you.”  He commanded a few hours later the Sixth Ebon Guard Cluster left Tukayyid for a Trial of Possession against the Bears.  By the end of January the Ninth and Tenth Ebon Guard Clusters have also struck targets in Sea Fox and Jade Falcon territory angering the other Clans but also increasing all of the Clan’s readiness.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2017, 16:59:23 by Dragon Cat »

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #674 on: 17 April 2017, 19:35:11 »
hey the Cappies have been throwing nuks around for some time.... about time someone did the same to them.  the nuking of a planet was a but much, but nuking the ships in space... I say they did it first so they set the rules.  it should be interesting to see who it plays out. 

that was a good twist.  also can not wait to see what happens when they check out the data banks on the SLS Berman

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #675 on: 18 April 2017, 02:13:11 »
The CapCon losing a Thera and a Battleship. Ouch, That would really hurt a small navy.
The CapCon started with the nukes so Oriente read the much vaunted Regulan Nuke 'em naval manual 101.

A Stefan Amaris class battleship, oh DC you have really excelled yourself this time. [notworthy] [applause] [cheers]
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #676 on: 18 April 2017, 05:10:24 »
The Thera escaped damaged but repairable

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #677 on: 18 April 2017, 15:01:01 »
I'm going to post February too.  I'll note that using the Stefan Amaris was originally JA Baker's idea though I've developed it a bit more.  We'll return there soon

Meeting of Parliament, District Leader Meeting
Atreus City, Atreus
District of Marik, Free Worlds League
5th February 3109

For the last eighteen hours the Free Worlds League Parliament had argued on the world of Atreus over the actions of the District of Oriente during their conflict with the Capellan Confederation and still a consensus had not been reached.  The six District leaders had withdrawn from the main Paliament meeting room even as representatives continued to argue over the issues before them.  Seated around a long table the six leaders sat two on one side and two opposite while Captain-General Joseph Marik sat at one end of the table and Robert Brett-Marik at the other end.

“Don’t you see Oriente has shown us the way?”  Duke Lester Cameron-Jones asked looking around “he has shown the Capellans that we will not hold back and allow them to take our worlds.”  He said pointing across at Duke Jonas Halas “a line has been drawn in the sand if the Capellans destroy one of our cities we will destroy one of their systems if they destroy one of our worlds we will destroy three of them…”

“Are you mad?”  Prime Minister Abraham Ledford of Bowang asked looking at the other man “have you never read a word of history?  The First and Second Succession War approached war like you suggest” he explained rising to his feet to look Lester Cameron-Jones in the face “BILLIONS died in those conflicts because ‘noble’ lords decided that the victims homes would make a good battleground.”  He said turning to look at the Captain-General “I plead with Captain-General do not support these actions.”  He said sitting back down angering Lester Cameron-Jones with his interruption before Joseph Marik could speak Duke Robert Brett-Marik spoke.

“I too feel I must agree with the Prime Minister” he said remaining seated “total war is not the answer.”

“As do I” Joseph said looking at Jonas Halas “the use of weapons of mass destruction against civilian targets on Ipswich was unnecessary.”  He said casting his vote “we do not need to see the genesis of another Succession War started here not in my League.”

“Your League until another replaces you” Halas commented irritated at Joseph’s condemnation of his peoples actions.

“Certainly not by you” Joseph Marik snapped back looking at Halas who looked surprised by the venom in Joseph’s voice “what?  Do you really expect me to believe that you did not command the use of nuclear weapons?”  He demanded putting Halas on the defence.

“I… was not aware of the…” the Oriente leader stammered out.

“So you are saying as their District Leader and their immediate military commander that you were not completely aware that they had weapons of mass destruction in the possession?  Or that you were not aware that your commanders were willing to use such weapons?”  Joseph Marik asked going on the offensive sensing Halas weakness “then perhaps I should call on parliament to put more stringent controls on Oriente.”  He threatened before turning on Lester Cameron-Jones “and you, you are ready for Capellan retribution with worlds on their border?  Are you ready to explain to people that you supported a police that saw billions of deaths including members of their own family?”  He demanded looking at the Regulan leader.

“We need to put forward a united front” Duke Raymond Brewer-Cameron-Jones finally said speaking up the Lesnovo leader having remained silent until now.

“I agree” Joseph Marik said “which is why I once again call for a united defence force under the command of this Parliament and under the authority of the Captain-General.  Together we can face down our opponents and react immediately to threats unlike now where we have to debate the choices that are made.”

“The office of Captain-General needs no further power.”  Lester Cameron-Jones said disagreeing with Joseph’s assessment as much as he desired to be the next Captain-General in the elections due later that year but he did not think a Federal Defence Force was an answer.  Before anyone else could speak an aide entered handing Joseph a piece of paper which the Captain-General read before hanging his head.

“What is it?”  Abraham Ledford asked breaking the silence in the room.

“The Capellan Confederation has responded to Oriente’s attack on Ipswich.”  He said “the system of Ohransen has been burned by nuclear fire.”  He said stunning the other leaders “Capellan has also been seen on Wazan, Pacht and Corey.”  He announced looking between Lester and Jonas “you wanted total war?  Now you have it.  I am needed in command.”  He said walking out of the room leaving the others.

Within hours of Ohransen’s destruction and the attacks on Wazan, Pacht and Corey the worlds of Krybacken and Asuncion request Star League Defence Force protection and are granted such protection by the end of February with SLDF ground and naval forces deployed into both systems.  District of Oriente forces continue to resist Capellan forces in several systems but this does not stop units belonging to the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns and mercenary commands land on Second Try and Palos after being invited to the planets by planetary leaders afraid of being caught up in the Oriente/Capellan conflict.  While there is no official word from First Lord Victor Steiner-Davion’s office Commanding-General Victor Focht of the Star League Defence Force calls for cooler heads between the two nations while also moving several heavy assets into the area including the Elite First Royal Regimental Brigade, the Second Kearny Regimental Brigade, the super-carrier Enterprise and the Tharkad-class Battle-cruiser Invincible.

Planetary Administrator’s Office
Gallery, New Stockholm
Halfway Province, Lyran Commonwealth
17th February 3109

As the aides opened the Administrator’s office Scientist Riko was quite pleased with himself Star Colonel Daniela had been more than happy to allow him to take her place and represent what remained of the Mountain Wolves on Gallery to the Planetary Administrator.  Daniela was an excellent warrior and likely she would make a good commander of the remaining warrior caste, with his guidance, but with her replacing Star Colonel Djordje she had inherited the previous Star Colonel’s administration tasks as well which was keeping the young woman quite busy.  Still dressed in the white coat and blue trousers of his caste he approached Administrator Marta Kamen a middle-aged woman with brown hair, tied up, and dark rimmed glasses.  She wore a navy suit with a skirt and white shirt formal but at the same time relaxed.  “You are not Colonel Djordje.”  She said he noted she had dropped the Clan rank and decided that for today at least he’d be better to do the same.

“Colonel Djordje has chosen to retire, Colonel Daniela has taken over from her” he explained “my name is Riko Danvers, I am Scientist General of our people” he explained.

“Very nice to meet you” she said extending her hand which Riko gently shook before taking her offer “Duke Robert Lunius of Halfway asked me to assess what your people could still bring to the Lyran Commonwealth which is why I wished to speak to your Colonel.”

“Unfortunately our military strength is clear to be seen.  Khan Kell’s misguided decision to take our Clankin out of the Commonwealth has stripped our people to the bone.  However I think there is more that we can do for the Commonwealth than with military force.”

“Oh yes?”  Kamen asked

“Aff my Khan…” he said before looking away from her embarrassed “sorry, I mean Administrator” he said seeing out of the corner of his eye a small smile, she liked that authority he had given her, “my people can help staff factories and we still have active research and development of weapons and a developed training regime.”  He said producing some paperwork for Kamen who took it and began sifting through the papers.  “We have a population of people who wish to work as to make Gallery a better place.  And our research into bio-warfare is quite developed.”  He said

“You have been developing a weapon that could target specific gene-lines?”  She said shocked by what she was reading on the papers.

“It is not actually a weapon” he said attempting to cover the development perhaps the Lyrans were not ready for such things. “We designed to help the Clan iron-womb program, to clear up the Wolves breading program, but it could be developed Khan Kell pulled the funding believing that such a thing could be used…”

“As a weapon of mass destruction…” she whispered “the Clans have such weapons.”

“Aff, they have the means but would not employ them as such.”  He reported sensing that she did not like how this was going “we could redevelop this with some support to counter anything that was developed to be used against the ruling line.”  He suggested “we also have an extensive training program and room for additional personnel” he said gaining her attention “there are several refugees who have fled the Clans, children who have been shipped here because their parents are missing or dead we could house and teach them.”  He suggested making a different approach if he couldn’t get the funding and supplies then having the additional personnel could allow for other developments.

“So you would bring people from out with your own in?”

“We are all one people, Administrator; I wish to contribute to improving Gallery and the Commonwealth.”  He said seeing that Marta Kamen liked the sound of that.  “We wish to show this nation that we appreciate what this nation has done for us and we wish to give something back.”  He said continuing as Kamen stood up Riko did not know the protocol but stood up as well.

“Thank you for your time, Scientist General, I appreciate your assistance and look forward to working with you and your people to make Gallery great again.”  Riko nodded shaking her hand again before realizing that his short audience was over.  As he left the room he realized that he wanted to come back to this office and the other officers of power in the Commonwealth in the future.

Promenade, Clan Hall
Clan Capitol City, Clan Homeworld
Deep Periphery
22nd February 3109

It had taken more than ten months but Star Colonel Alex Lassenem had finally arrived on the Clan Homeworld.  After the battle for the Broadcast Tower his remaining forces had been whittled down to a combined-arms Binary so instead of wasting what warriors he had Alex had called for an extraction from the planet.  It had taken nearly a month but the Clan had finally come and his people had been pulled back to Fasa.  Once there anger had overcome Alex and had confronted and defeated Galaxy Commander Karen Schmitt in an unaugmented Circle of Equals as was his right as a Clan warrior.  Following his victory Karen Schmitt had admitted that the command had come from the Homeworld for the operation on Babylon to be abandoned as a lost cause.  With his victory still new Alex had demanded that he and his Osteon be transported to the Homeworld immediately which turned out to be a more difficult proposition than he’d expected.  From Fasa he had been put on a JumpShip towards the Kerensky Cluster and after travelling in an indirect route through eight systems he had finally arrived on the Homeworld.

Now Alex Lassenem stood on a world untouched by the Society looking up at the grandiose Clan Hall built in the centre of the capital it resembled the one on Strana Mechty.  According to what Alex had heard the system had been discovered in the 3060s and kept hidden from Clan society as a refugee for if the Clan was pushed to the edge.  When that edge had come the Clan had pulled in on itself concentrating on the worlds of this system developing them into places where they could rebuild.  As the Society had ravaged the Homeworld Clans they had remained hidden but active deploying combat units to the other worlds and assisting Clan forces and civilians escape the Society’s occupation.  While he was not completely convinced by the Clan’s strategy he couldn’t argue against their achievements where all other Clans had fallen this still stood, where others escaped to the Inner Sphere his Clan remained fighting for what they believed was theirs.

Heading up the Promenade steps Alex straightened his dress uniform a green jacket and trousers with a black undershirt.  As was their custom only his MechWarrior Branch badge and Rank insignia adorned his uniform even the Clan insignia was missing according to the “Old Khan” only once they permanently recaptured Strana Mechty could warriors wear the Clan insignia and be proud.  As he reached to top of the stairs Alex Lassenem stopped and stood stunned looking at the Clan flags in front of the Hall there were twenty… one representing each of the original Clans formed by Nicholas Kerensky among them one for the Not-Named Clan.  The Not Named Clan’s flag had not flown over any Clan World since they were annihilated soon after the formation of Clans.  Regaining his composure Alex looked at the flags once more before heading into Clan Hall.

Inside the air conditioned reception area a young female warrior wearing a MechWarrior with Hispanic features and dark hair approached “Star Colonel Alex Lassenem, welcome to the Clan Hall, I am the Khan’s aide Star Commander Santana Ebon the Khan is waiting for you.”  She said greeting him before turning heading away Alex Lassenem stood there for a moment first the Not Named’s flag flies over a Clan world and now warriors bearing their names stand inside a Clan Hall?  As he followed the young woman through the halls he could feel his anger growing the Old Khan had twisted Nicholas Kerensky’s vision of the Clans.

“Star Colonel Alex Lassenem to see you Khan Keller” Santana Ebon said announcing Alex’s arrival before leaving the room.  Khan Katja Keller was more than eighty years old a small diminutive woman who had surprised or outwitted each of her opponents through the years allowing each of them to believe her small size meant she was not a threat.  Even now looking at her walk with the assistance of a cane Alex sensed she was still a threat.

“My Khan” he said respectfully despite the anger he felt at present first his unit was abandoned on Babylon, then Laurel passed sacrificing herself to get the word of Michael Gibson’s death, then he had learned the Not Named’s flag and name had risen from its long dead ashes.

“You sound annoyed Star Colonel” she said looking him up and down obviously picking up on the anger in his voice despite his best efforts.  “Speak your mind” she said leaning back on her office table.

“Aff, Khan” he said the respect was gone from his voice and he nearly spat the title.  “You abandoned my unit on Babylon to die.  You sent us to eliminate Michael Gibson and yet when you had the opportunity to support our efforts and complete our mission you pulled back and left us!”  He said angrily venting his anger on the old woman but never closing within striking distance.

“Aff, I did” she admitted stunning him “and you as a Clan warrior continued on with the determination that I would expect.”  She said standing back up “I ordered you into a bad position and the intelligence you gathered proved that Michael Gibson was off Tamaron along with the Absolute Truth and her escorts.  This information opened up an opportunity for us to liberate nearly three hundred men, women and children from enforced labour on Tamaron and assault their OmniMech Production facility.”  She explained “the Society likes to pretend they have enough resources to protect everything in the Homeworlds but they do not.”

“You sent us on a mission under false pretences” Alex said still angry.

“Neg, if Tameron was still was still under guard we would have supported you.  I simply picked the more appropriate target for our limited resources.”  She said calmly her calm answer making Alex even more angry but she didn’t stop instead turning on Alex “so you as a Clan Warrior used what resources you had and executed your mission regardless of support.  Not only eliminating Alex Gibson but also exposing their attempt to cover that fact up.”  She said going over Alex’s successes “than as a loyal member of your Clan and not wanting to see your people slaughtered for their actions on Babylon you called for an extraction from that world which we complied with.”  She said now showing that their Clan had not completely abandoned his unit.  “You completed you objectives with the resources you had in hand and in a manner that has impressed many within our Clan but I think perhaps it was your reaction to your successes on Babylon that surprised most and impressed me the most.”  She said stepping closer to him “instead of accepting your place as one cog in this war machine you argued that you should not have been treated like you were.  You stepped up to Karen Schmitt on Fasa defeating her in single combat but seeing her worth to our Clan you left her alive.”  Katja Keller said “to me that shows a warrior who is not content with only taking commands but one who wishes to be making the decisions going forwards Quiaff?”

“Aff, my Khan” Alex replied finding his anger had dimmed facing the Old Khan but still there were things that bothered him.  “I wish to serve my Clan in the best way I can” he said “but I have questions.”

“I am not surprised this is after all your first time on this world.”  She said turning back to her desk.  Alex had been born on Hellgate in a refugee camp only to be rescued by Mike Lassenem’s Fourteenth and brought to the Clan’s training halls on Fasa. “Ask your questions Star Colonel.”  She commanded moving across the room indicating for Alex to take a seat in front of her which he slowly did.

“I saw the flags outside and your aide’s name…”  He said refusing to say the Not-Named Clan’s name as he sat.

“The Wolverines?”  She asked turning around the table taking her own seat Alex nodded his answer too shocked that someone spoken their name out loud.  Katja Keller chuckled looking at Alex “do you know what one of the Society’s first tactics was when they made their move across the Homeworlds?”  She asked Alex shook his head “they had their scientists imbedded with the Clans to corrupt dozens of genetic legacies to weaken them to a point where our genetic pools could not individually sustain us.”  She explained “the Serpents came together exactly for this reason the individual Clans could not operate alone their genetic lines were so corrupted that that over time the term bloodnamed would no longer matter.”

“Each Khan has a responsibility to protect the genetic legacy of their Clan whatever way they can.”  Alex recited knowing the words well but it still didn’t explain why the Not-Named names had been reborn.

“When the rest of our Clan was driven from the Homeworlds and into the periphery I knew what we had here could not sustain our Clan’s Bloodlines.  I introduced warriors from other Clans bringing their legacies into our Clan in an effort to build it but that was not enough.  I could have created new legacies from freeborns but it would mean abandoning our past for our future.  So we raided the Genetic Repository on Strana Mechty” she explained surprising Alex she saw the surprise and nodded “yes we did that when you were but a child” she explained beginning the story “the Society fought hard that day but eventually we secured the Grand Council and its Halls it was a great day but we knew we would never hold it.  I sent people below and when they got to the vaults below they discovered the only legacies that had not been corrupted by the Society were those locked in the Not Named’s archive.”  She explained “they wanted to shame us they wanted to show that only by breaking our oath to the Founder could we survive so we did.”  She said defiantly “I could not use their names and not speak their name and still use the term Not-named, my hypocrisy goes only so far, so we have accepted that the Wolverines are part of our history, our present and our future but they are not our Clan.  We are the Blood Spirits and we will remain standing through all adversity…”

“For the Cause” Alex said reciting the words to complete the phrase known by all members of their Clan.  He wasn’t completely convinced by the Khan’s argument but he knew the Society wanted to break the Clans genetically as well as physically.

“Now for your future” she said “Star Colonel Jorgennson has done well in commanding the Fourteenth in your absence and was a very effective commander on Tamaron.”

“Matt knows what he is doing” Alex admitted he’d known he would be giving up the Fourteenth when he accepted the mission on Babylon.

“And your performance on Babylon proves that you are worth more than a Cluster commander.”  She said Alex was glad to hear that their sacrifices on Babylon had proven something “and with that I wish to make you the commander of our Watch forces.”  She said “you appear to have a knack for acting with little need of direction and with minimal resources.  You will answer directly to me and you will help us take the fight from Colleen to the farthest reaches of the Society’s influence.  What do you say?”  She asked standing looking at him.

“For the Cause” Alex said standing up accepting the position.

“For the Cause” Khan Katja Keller repeated shaking Alex’s hand.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2017, 15:18:03 by Dragon Cat »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #678 on: 18 April 2017, 15:35:45 »
Intriguing!  Blood Spirits finally live up to their origin purpose, keep spirit of the Clans alive.  Now they only Clan stands against the Society.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #679 on: 18 April 2017, 16:26:26 »
I'm going to post February too.  I'll note that using the Stefan Amaris was originally JA Baker's idea though I've developed it a bit more.  We'll return there soon
I only have the faintest recollection of what we discussed, having long ago deleted the messages as part of a “tidy-up” of my in-box, but I remember some parts. I shall keep what I recall to myself and eagerly await to see where you go with the ideas we tossed back and forth.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #680 on: 18 April 2017, 20:28:28 »
Ohh....

Is my contribute being used by the Society?

Ohh....

Gonna have to calm down and wait...

Wait truetanker, wait.... patiently, quiaff?

TT O:-)
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #681 on: 21 April 2017, 15:10:19 »
Bloody superb updates, and what the devil is going on Grand Fenwick...  also is it just me or are the Tukkyaid Guard thinking of themselves more as a Clan every time they pop up.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #682 on: 22 April 2017, 15:12:56 »
Wrangler: they are survivalists it made sense to me for the Spirits to be the suborn ones who held on.  Haven and Colleen made for a perfect hiding spot since in this only the Spirits ever got there.

JA Baker: I appreciate the idea and the use of the Duchy.

Truetanker: the answer to that will come in the future

marauder: glad you liked

Ghost Bear Checkpoint 14
Agamemnon, Market Square
Orestes, Rasalhague Dominion
5th March 3109

Across the busy market square Kathleen Schaefer moved through the crowds heading for the Ghost Bear checkpoint watching the Clan warriors tidy up their equipment.  The Bears had become part of this community for years and a retired old woman like Kathleen Schaefer was quite attached to them.  “Is something happening Star Commander Harris?”  She asked seeing the checkpoint’s commander.

“Mrs Schaefer it’s good to see you” the old warrior said turning towards one of the other warriors “put the additional equipment in the Prime Mover we’re not leaving anything we don’t need to.”

“What’s happening here Harris?  Have you all been reassigned?  I brought those cookies that you like.”

“Thank you Mrs Schaefer I assure you I’ll make sure everyone gets some on the fight out.”  He said the elderly Orestes woman looked shocked.  “Did you hear about the arrival of the Coyotes yesterday?”  She nodded “they fought and defeated the First Tyr Assault Cluster in a Trial of Possession.”  He explained Kathleen Schaefer nodded her understanding though Harris was unsure if she truly understood “that means the Coyotes will be taking control over this planet, at least for now, we’ve been ordered to pull out.”

“The Coyotes?  Will they like my cookies?”  She asked watching as the last couple of Bears mounted up on their vehicles and began to move out Harris took one last look at the elderly civilian and offered a smile before also jumping up on the transport vehicle.

With Grumlum and Orestes in Coyote hands the Rasalhague Dominion relocates its provincial capital to Altenmarkt while military units are reassigned to new base worlds.  For their part the citizens of the two systems adapt to the new rule of Clan Coyote.

First Lord’s Announcement
Unity City, Terra
Star League Protectorate
13th March 3109

In a non-descript office First Lord Victor Steiner-Davion sat in front of the Tri-Vid camera and looked into it.  “I am Victor Steiner-Davion” he began ensuring everyone knew exactly who was making this message “I have served for many years as First Prince of the Federated Suns.  Many of you have seen me as your enemy; however, today I speak to you as First Lord of the Star League Defence Force.  Recently there have been violations of the Ares Accords with weapons of mass destruction and orbital bombardment returning to our battlefields.”  He said referring to the Oriente/Capellan Confederation border conflict “technology has improved over the last few years and these weapons are part of our lives we have to live with them.  I will not stand by and watch these weapons destroy innocent lives unnecessarily.  Today I have signed orders for the Star League Defence Force to oppose any force willing to employ such weapons against civilian targets.”  He said pausing for a moment “to this end I have deployed Special Forces personnel and the Fourth WarShip squadron to the Oriente/Confederation border.  These forces will observe and stop any unit that has used or plans to use weapons of mass destruction to this end I can announce that Star League Defence Force personnel have detained Sang-shao Ju Kun on Park Place and confiscated the nuclear weapons they were preparing to use on that world.  We will not stop the nations of the Inner Sphere fighting that is not the Star League Defence Forces’ purpose; we will however make it difficult for you to wage total war.”

Within hours of Victor Steiner-Davion’s announcement and reports of Star League Defence Forces being deployed within the Free Worlds League Capellan Chancellor Dao-Shen Liao made a rare public announcement of his own.  “We do not wish to see mass casualties during conflicts with our neighbours.”  He said beginning “however the Capellan Confederation will not be bullied by the sham Star League which has shown itself time and again to be simply a pawn of House Steiner-Davion.”  He said smiling broadly “I know many of you will likely try to ridicule me for the use of this term but there can be little denying that the Star League serves House Davion and House Steiner over all others.  I call for other nations to throw off the Star League’s yoke and return to their own rule.  The worlds claimed by the Star League belong to the houses of the Inner Sphere as they have been since the fall of the Terran Hegemony.”  He said angrily “the Star League Defence Force’s actions on Park Place are taken as a Declaration of War against the Capellan Confederation.”  He said his eyes remaining focused on the Tri-Vid camera “any Star League Defence Force unit seen in territory claimed by the Capellan Confederation will be fire upon.”  He warned finally signing off.

Although SLDF actions in the Park Place system put off the Capellan invasion of the system they are unable to stop the Capellans reinforcing their positions on Wazan, Pacht and Corey further bringing them into the Capellans grasp as Oriente troops attempt to regroup after being struck from multiple directions by the Capellans. 

Interrogation Room
Fenwick City, Fenwick
Duchy of Fenwick
22nd March 3109

Despite several weeks of questioning Major Simon Rosberg did not feel like he had been mistreated by the secretive people of Fenwick.  Even now he sat in a well lit door with windows showing at least some of the forests around them.  Across from him sat his ‘interrogator’ who certainly wasn’t a torture specialist instead Captain Curtis Kinsey lounged in his chair as he went through the same papers a two coffee’s sitting on the table between them.  Simon decided that despite his interrogator’s laid back attitude they weren’t getting anywhere and instead it was his turn to try and direct the conversation.

“Curtis, can I ask you something officer to officer?”  He asked opening the conversation deciding to make sure Kinsey acknowledged he was an officer the older man nodded – win one. “Are you learning anything new from these daily meetings?”

“I learn a little bit every day, Simon, you know that?”

“Of course, but if I may?”  Again Kinsey nodded his agreement “I haven’t withheld any non-classified data.  I haven’t put up any resistance can’t you at least see I mean you no harm.”

“In your present form no you do not” Curtis Kinsey said “but inside you I see a man that could do me and my people great harm if your put your mind to it.”  He said making his beliefs known.

“Exactly” Simon Rosberg said knowing he was on the right track “I could, if I wanted to, cause this system great harm.”  He said standing up walking around the room Curtis Kinsey remained seated at ease with the other man.  “If I wanted I could have sneaked into this system and you would have never known I was here.”

“And how would you have done that?”  Kinsey asked continuing to fish for information Rosberg knew.

“It doesn’t matter” he answered dodging the question he had no intention of fouling up anyone else that followed the Bremen here. “If I had known for certain you were here, as you have inferred many times, you would not have detected the Bremen’s entry into this system and you would have not found my people on their entry.”

“This act of arrogance is not the answer to getting you out of this facility.”  Kinsey replied “in fact nothing you say to me could get you out of here Simon, you know this, it is up to powers that are far my station who will make those choices.”

“Well what they need to know is if my ship continues to be overdue then they will send others to this system.”

“That is already being taken care of” Kinsey replied seeing their other man’s surprise he decided to let him in on a secret that had kept Fenwick off the grid for so long.  “You said that the Combine scouts that passed through this systems said there was nothing of note with four burned planets none within the habitable zone?”

“Something along those lines, yes” Rosberg confirmed

“Have you not been wondering how they got their information so wrong?”  Kinsey teased “they didn’t, in fact they never sent a single message about this system” he said noting Simon Rosberg’s surprise “because we did.”

“You did…” Rosberg said sitting back down “the Combine scouts returned home?”

“Did they?  Have you met them?  Of course not they were long dead by the time you were even thought of.  In fact they were ‘dead’ as soon as that ship left the system.”  He said smiling “a volunteer crew replaced the Combine crew they jumped the vessel through its next survey mission completing it, as far as we know, before transmitting all the data.  The vessel then had an unfortunate mishap and exploded during a jump heading to the Benjamin system with the ship materializing in pieces, there was no crew to examine and no ship to physically check.”

“What happened to the volunteers?”

“Who knows” Kinsey joked “they knew as soon as they volunteered they would never return to this star system, they didn’t want to come back, they could have died on the JumpShip or they could have gone out there and made lives for themselves I honestly don’t know.”

“What about the original crew?”

“They became productive members of our society here just as you and your people will.”

“But we could bring so much more” Simon Rosberg said this time his words sounding more like a plea “we have not resisted you.  We have been honest.  All we ever wanted to do was serve the Star League Defence Force, to make a difference.”

“And you will, you will make the SLDF or whomever you work for never come back to this star system, and that difference is something that everyone here will be very thankful for.”

“People will come looking for us” Rosberg warned “the Star League Defence Force know where we went and they have the firepower…” he said before stopping midsentence knowing that it was beginning to sound like a threat.  “Curtis let us take some of you from this system we’ll show you how the Inner Sphere has changed we’ll show you how we are not a threat to your people in fact we could make Fenwick great once more.”

“Personally I think you make a good case Simon, but the Ruling Council and the Grand Duchess make the decisions and the answer to the people.  General consensus in the system is we remain isolated.”

“So while the Cavilier is jump capable you've never been tempted to have a look into the Inner Sphere?"  He asked continuing to try and find out more about the people of Fenwick.

“No it and out two JumpShips have not been used that way.  We prefer isolation but we keep them around just in case.” He confirmed “our system is self sufficient we do not need outsiders Simon.  Our system values its independence and we won't be surrendering this to anyone.”  He said making the Major realize that while Fenwick’s history placed it with the Star League perhaps its future did not.  "Each of the Succession Lords tried to claim that they could be the First Lord.  So one of them has succeeded and created a new League in their own image.  Fenwick will not end up like that."  He said as two guards entered

"But it's not like that.." Simon Rosberg protested "why won't you listen to us?  Look at our records the Succession States came together, united, to repulse the Clans!"  He shouted raising his voice, the wrong thing to do as the two guards grabbed his shoulders.

"The Clans, ah yes, the Star League's superhuman descendants" Kinsey said proving to Rosberg that they had been on board the Bremen and looked at its data.  "Do you really think we believe that the Star League Defence Force fell so far to invade the Inner Sphere?  Kerensky told us that he wanted nothing to do with the Inner Sphere.  He told us that we would be the last guardians of the Star League's legacy and we will not let him down."  Kinsey said glancing up at the guards "take him away."

Interception, Stormchaser (League III-class Destroyer)
Ionus, District of Marik
Free Worlds League
28th March 3109

The Stormchaser had returned to the Ionus system after the Shadow Guard had found a couple of technical issues with their newly retrofitted WarShip.  The Stormchaser was moving in system towards the shipyard when there were several reported explosions and internal fighting reported on of the orbital warehouses.  With the Loyalty Battle Group out of position to intercept the pirates as they withdrew the Stormchaser had been contacted and was tasked with intercepting and destroying the fighters for an additional bonus over and above that the Free Worlds League already paid their mercenary command.

David Prentiss moved across the bridge of the Stormchaser as they approached the incoming DropShips “make final checks on weapons target the lead Mule first with naval gauss.  If they survive we target with autocannons and broadside gauss.”  He commanded as they approached “next up is the Overlord and Buccaneer.”  He said he wished they had their aerospace fighters and DropShips with them but the Stormchaser hadn’t expected combat at Ionus and the Shadow Guard remained concentrated in force ready to oppose Clan Wolf’s raiders.  “Can we identify their trails?”

“One of the ships appears to have a Free World League registry” Lieutenant Matt Swift said from the weapons console “both others are registered in the Periphery one in the Marian Hegemony the other the Magistracy of Canopus.”

“Tells us lots” Prentiss commented “communications offer them a chance to surrender” he commanded as the distance between them closed the communications officer looked back across the rectangular command deck and shook her head.  “Fine Lt Swift fire at will” he said as the Stormchaser lined up on its target turning slightly in space to aim for the DropShips.  Suddenly the pair of forward medium sized naval gauss rifles opened fire.  In moments the slugs crossed the distance between them narrowly missing the incoming DropShips “second volley let’s do better this time.”  He commanded the crew were still getting used to the new WarShip.  This time the gauss rifles were joined by capital grade lasers and autocannons from the vessel’s forward arcs.  The front of the Destroyer was alight for a moment as weapons fire left the ship and crossed the void between it and their targets.  The time the weapons fire was far more effective with one of the autocannon barrages blowing open the nose of the Mule consigning the DropShip’s crew to their deaths in cold vaccum as the DropShip was torn to pieces.  Naval Laser fire burned down the sides of the Overlord but the remaining two DropShips continued forwards.  “The Gauss Rifles in the nose need calibrated, let’s make a note of that.  Bring us to port and give them a broadside.”

“Forward autocannons are still reloading” Swift reported “autoloader problem.”

“I knew we should have done more shakedown manoeuvres before leaving” Prentiss commented cursing Colonel Storm’s choice to recall them to Spirit so soon following several Wolf raids.  Prentiss was glad that the Stormchaser had not been tasked with opposing any Wolves so far since he wasn’t completely convinced the Destroyer was up to the task.  “Keep the lasers hot and add them in with the broadside.”  He commanded as the Stormchaser continued its turn “helm continue course I want our backs to them if there are any survivors when we pass aft gunners have first crack on them.”  He said hoping that the two remaining DropShips didn’t survive that long, if they did then they would be in weapons range of the Stormchaser which wouldn’t look too good.

“Coming into sights and firing” Swift reported as the forward naval lasers and broadside gauss rifles and barracuda launcher fired together this time ripping open the side of the Overlord.  In all honesty these three DropShips had no chance against a WarShip of the Stormchaser’s size and armament but they had still gotten further than Prentiss would have liked.  His crew needed more training he thought as a naval gauss salvo tore through the nose of the Buccaneer carrying on through the ship and exiting through the aerodyne’s tail section almost completely bisecting the small DropShip.  “Targets destroyed sir.”

“Better as the engagement went on Lieutenant, have sensor crews begin searching for any survivors or salvage that could point to the pirate’s origin.  Let’s see if we can sweeten our cash sum for this little excursion.”  He commanded monitoring the crew as they dealt with the aftermath of their first engagement as battle’s went it had been a very one sided affair.  During their search the MS Phillip of Macedonia, the District of Marik’s newest Eagle II-class Frigate, had arrived to assist with their search.  An evolution of the original Eagle design the Eagle II was planned to be the Free Worlds League’s future escort design for their Thera and Imperial designs but David Prentiss knew that there were others who wanted to see a new variant of the League-class Destroyer be the Eagle II’s rival and give the Free Worlds League some variety much like that enjoyed by other states.
« Last Edit: 23 April 2017, 16:30:11 by Dragon Cat »

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #683 on: 22 April 2017, 18:02:55 »
nice update... looks like the DD could use some more training time.  that will only make them better later.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #684 on: 22 April 2017, 18:44:10 »
SLDF vs CapCon, The Liao's asking TT if they can borrow a few of the nukes he keeps under his bed for rainy days. :D
Fenwick, which way will they jump, very interesting.
The Stormchaser needs some work, crew training and systems calibrated properly.
Always good to have a few volunteers to shoot at to find these problems. ;D O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #685 on: 23 April 2017, 02:09:11 »
Ouch, loosing Orestes is a big blow considering the factories there, but it was nice to see the human side there

There's a paranoid, hard and quite merciless core to the folks of Fenwick, It'll be interesting to see what happens next.  And great 'shakedown' for that League DD.

MarikMilitaMan

• Sergeant
  • The Kendall Hammers
« Reply #686 on: 23 April 2017, 04:08:32 »
Like the way the League III class is looking, hopefully the FWLN will get some?

Politically the League is as interesting as always.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2
« Reply #687 on: 23 April 2017, 05:01:19 »
I have to ask, DC, have you ever seen The Mouse That Roared?

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #688 on: 23 April 2017, 15:06:08 »
I actually haven't no but after reading the wiki about it I completely understand where you got the original idea and I love the concept behind it

I really can't say more without giving away the storyline only that people won't be happy with Fenwick

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #689 on: 23 April 2017, 16:15:37 »
Nice and exciting updqte. Dragon Cat. Why is the Eagle a Destroyer? It was a Frigate as Eagle unless both classes were re-rated.