Author Topic: ISD's CGB/DG/73rdBC/314thBT Mongrel A modification  (Read 477 times)

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
ISD's CGB/DG/73rdBC/314thBT Mongrel A modification
« on: 01 March 2024, 14:22:10 »
[WORK IN PROGRESS]
Long story short: in my Operation:REVIVAL delayed-participation KS loot I had some loot boxes and one of them had a Grendel or Mongrel with an Alpha Strike card talking about the A config while the mini was obviously the same Prime as in the Clan box itself. This was not acceptable, so I pestered some colleagues and also some good folks in the this+2 subforum here.

Unnecessary pieces were mercilessly snipped away to make way for some other weapon stand-ins. As I wasn't ready or skilled enough for a scratchbuilt RA, I left most of its bulk intact. I used a bit of a tube from a qtip for the Medium Pulse Laser that I filled with Vallejo's Clear Water to get a lenslike thing in the end. For the ER Small Laser I wanted a tube as well but had nothing smaller, so I glued in a 1:35 fire extinguisher from one of my many Tamiya Panzer models, drilled a hole in the bottom and widened it up a bit with a hobby knife. At least the bit had some texture on it unlike the qtip handle  :tongue:

I cut some sub-millimeter strips to glue onto the LRM-15 bay doors for texture and behind them as hingelike greeblies. To make the LA look a bit less depressing after removing the double lasers (it was clearly malnourished) I added some polystyrene greeblies. Vallejo's Black primer on top, then a Vallejo Cold Grey overbrushing, some Vallejo Stonewall Grey camo lines here and there, and Vallejo RLM66 (a dark grey) on the metallic surfaces instead of metallic paints.

Yeah, that was my interpretation of the Clan Ghost Bear's Delta Galaxy pattern, and then I tried to freehand the Ghost Bear insignia on the LA, and the Delta insignia somehow (the lightning bolts were successful-ish) on the RL below the knee. As far as I knew the 73rd Battle Cluster had no insignia so I did like I did over a decade ago and painted a black-shadowed red number "73" on the other leg. And a Point number on the LA below the CGB insignia.

Here and there I added some caution/hazard stripes (Yellow Ochre base with RLM66 stripes), mostly near the Jump Jet nozzles, and used some Vallejo AMT-7 (a Soviet greyish blue) for the Camospecs-dictated highlights. The contrast between greys and greyish blue was, shockingly, not that strong.

Once again I defied my absolute and total lack of skill at drawing/painting and freehanded some things that were supposed to represent the Clan Ghost Bear insignia on the left shoulder, and their Delta Galaxy's insignia on the right shin. Luckily the 73rd Battle Cluster (or the 314th Battle Trinary) didn't have imagery as far as I knew so I just added a "73" to the left shin and a unit number below the CGB roundel. No closeup of those, they're foul and may be partially acceptable from a (great) distance :laugh:

The yellow ochre cockpit jeweling is simple (black, then yellow ochre, a bottom-right offset blob of yellow ochre + two drops of off-white, then an top-left dot of even brighter colour). I guess I should've done more layers but these viewports were so small it felt futile:

I was much, much happier with my green MPLas (black, escorpena green and off-white) and somewhat ok with the red ERSLas (black, bloody red, off-white) effect. Obviously it looks better from a bit further afar:

Whenever I'm done I'll set this one next to the other two Points from over a decade ago, the two Omnis from the 25th anniversary intro box (I thought it was the 30th but who notices five years anymore?) :tongue:

Next up: pin wash (Abteilung 502's Sepia). Then a very simple base.
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

Luciora

• Major
Re: ISD's CGB/DG/73rdBC/314thBT Mongrel A modification
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2024, 16:52:13 »
Looks great!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2024, 21:02:20 »
Looks great! A very effective piece of work. And looks great now it's painted.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2024, 06:08:53 »
 :smilie_happy_thumbup:

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2024, 08:11:43 »
Sweet! :smilie_happy_thumbup:

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2024, 07:44:24 »
Thanks! :cheesy:

Still in progress, but almost complete now. I did my usual oil washing (Abteilung 502 Sepia) to make the panel lines pop a bit. Seems to work, and even if I say so myself I'm getting somewhat pleased with my progress with the jeweling stuff that I steered clear of for over a decade :cheesy: Gloss varnish is missing still, that usually improves the lenses and viewports a bit IMO.

Now I'm debating myself whether or not go for some kind of a white-blue effect on the Jump Jets ::think Never done those either, and I'm not too sure if it'd work well enough. In any case it'd be more or less a copy of my [ER]PPC effect but in a different place ::think This photo shows the caution stripes I mentioned but didn't show the last time:

Most definitely not CSO quality here with my overbrushing + drybrushing -mostly method but I'm still somewhat happy with it. For the base I have to either check my old blog posts or dig out the other two Points. Well, I have to do that anyway for a group and "this is what I've learned in ~13 years" photo :smiley:

Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2024, 12:38:08 »
Nicely done conversion work! I wouldn’t have spotted it if you hadn’t pointed it out earlier in the thread.

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2024, 08:22:15 »
I didn't take photos of the better cleaned up oil painting yet, but I made the simple base to make this one fit the Starmates from the 25th Anniversary Box.
The main cleanable is on the bulk of the Right Arm right in front of the caution stripe, it offends me in every single photo :shocked:

Alsø: I went insane on Friday as expected, and painted the Jump Jets with a white-blue glow effect to attempt to bring out the feeling of a fusion glow. The glow just doesn't stand out too much from the greyish blueish overall scheme. I wasn't too disappointed with this so I may have to start retconning and paint some of these on the already "completed" minis. As we all know, on that road lies pure madness, so I'd be doing jeweling on any and all energy weapons I encountered.

Fun times ahead!
« Last Edit: 11 March 2024, 08:23:50 by ISD »
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

Wasteland Warrior

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2024, 22:43:56 »
That is looking like a well worn war machine. Very solid, nicely modified, and fits well with the existing heavies.  I quite like that right arm as is, it looks like it has taken a beating. 

And yes to that jewelling, really nice work on those lasers, glad these experiments are working out.

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2024, 00:03:52 »
I was about to call this Mongrel A finished, so I set up the light tent, brand new tripod and the actual camera. As always, checking the photos made me think I could've touched up something still: the Jump Jet nozzle edges got a gentle touch of dark grey. So I'll do that and take maybe some new pics, also of this one next to the CJF Mongrel Prime :laugh:

Or am I the only one who's a bit bothered by the blue-white spillage on the nozzle rims? Those things are tiny and painting them with the 5 | 0 brush was a bit difficult.

With the two heavier pre-teens flanking, in their somewhat stiffer poses:

//edit: As I took, edited, and uploaded better photos, I deleted the previous ones and forgot I had linked them here. So those two are new and the question of the JJ nozzles is moot now :)
« Last Edit: 21 March 2024, 14:38:51 by ISD »
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #10 on: 21 March 2024, 14:44:38 »
For the fun of it, three photos of the modified Mongrel A in Ghost Bear / Delta Galaxy scheme next to an OOB Mongrel Prime from the Clan box in Jade Falcon / Gamma Galaxy / 3rd Falcon Talon Cluster's scheme. And I know I have to retroactively paint all of the energy weapon jeweling effects on the minis that just had red for lasers and blue for PPCs... :tongue:

I also need to clean up the edges of the Prime's base.
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2024, 18:19:15 »
Thanks for posting these pictures.  They're in focus better than the previous ones, which lets me admire your artwork better!  Both of those 'Mechs look nice!