Author Topic: No swearing!  (Read 93617 times)

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
Re: No swearing!
« Reply #180 on: 05 April 2017, 10:58:51 »
What would be amusing would be if the censortron was keyed to flag BattleTech swear worlds, like "malfing" and "surat"

It's weird that you mention it, because I think at one time, one of the boards I used to post on(here, perhaps, though I think the old Dropship forums had the same problem) used to censor the word "cockpit," or at least half of it.  I won't say why, of course, but it could be....amusing at times. :D
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #181 on: 05 April 2017, 14:52:03 »
It's weird that you mention it, because I think at one time, one of the boards I used to post on(here, perhaps, though I think the old Dropship forums had the same problem) used to censor the word "cockpit," or at least half of it.  I won't say why, of course, but it could be....amusing at times. :D

Well, I can think of a few real world birds, that I probably cannot even talk about here...

Let see...the 'fatty mammary glands"mouse or it's entire family of related small birds. The Blue-footed 'silly mammary glands', and it's family of related and similarly named aquatic birds.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #182 on: 14 April 2017, 06:42:48 »
@NeonKnight - it seems, based on Reply #2, that "tit" is okay.

Most of the initial forum staff were American I believe(less so these days), so the censortron's vocabulary reflects that. The fact that some words may be expletives in certain cultures, but perfectly innocent in others complicates this, especially when the word's innocent usage may come up on a regular basis in the context of Battletech, as in your case.

Gotta be honest, I had no idea that word was an expletive in any culture.
I don't think its any more harsh than "slut", and that's okay... right?

I'd also like to ask if swears in other languages are allowed, for example F-bombs. Surely not...?

I also want to ask about certain alternative spellings: frack, frak*, fark, and frigging. The 1st I've actually seen. A specific judgement on all these would be welcome, thanks.

*Based on previous pages of this thread, frak seems acceptable
« Last Edit: 14 April 2017, 09:19:06 by Kidd »

Register