Author Topic: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian  (Read 147110 times)

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Reply #630 on: 18 July 2019, 18:45:05 »
Can anyone recommend to me any newer authors for fantasy, sci-fi or historical fiction? Someone in the vein of CJ Cherryh, H. Beam Piper or Robert Heinlein?
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #631 on: 18 July 2019, 19:07:00 »
Are you already reading any Scalzi?  He's very much in the vein of Heinlein, and also did "Fuzzy Nation" as a homage to Piper (with the estate's blessing).

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #632 on: 18 July 2019, 20:29:33 »
Have you tried Sarah Gailey?  They've got an interesting alternate history series involving hippos being released into the Mississippi in the 19th Century (which was actually something that the US government considered doing).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #633 on: 18 July 2019, 20:50:31 »
there is also a decent FB group for Piper
https://www.facebook.com/groups/57935645782/
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #634 on: 24 July 2019, 06:33:14 »
Just saw that Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, book eight) is out. I'll be devouring that shortly (plus the two new BT books/anthologies.)

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #635 on: 24 July 2019, 07:36:20 »
Just saw that Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, book eight) is out. I'll be devouring that shortly (plus the two new BT books/anthologies.)

I just finished it last week.  No spoilers, but the ending wasn't quite what I was expecting. It was still good, though.  And I'm wondering about some things they seemed to be setting up for the future.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #636 on: 24 July 2019, 15:44:25 »
The Camel Club, David Baldacci.  An a little out there, yet fun, political thriller.  I like some of the twists.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #637 on: 24 July 2019, 16:14:02 »
it's that time again (september qualifying exam)

Radicalism of the American Revolution, Wood
Ideological Origins of the American Revolution, Bailyn
The Unknown American Revolution, Nash
Revolutionary Mothers, Berkin
Forced Founders, Holton
Capitalism and a New Social Order, Appleby
Original Meanings, Rakove

that should keep me busy until about... monday. i'm not going to be sober for a week when this is over.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #638 on: 24 July 2019, 17:47:32 »
Good luck with the exam!  :thumbsup:

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #639 on: 24 July 2019, 19:02:11 »
Thanks. It’s one of those wonderful pass or find something to do affairs  xp

Perhaps the most obnoxious part of the process is that I work exclusively post-1880 so my future is being dictated by material I’ll never look at again  :crazy:

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #640 on: 24 July 2019, 19:31:15 »
Madness, I say!  Sorry to hear your field is that... rigid?  ???

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #641 on: 24 July 2019, 19:49:01 »
Just the one particular professor on my committee. He has a... reputation

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #642 on: 24 July 2019, 19:51:36 »
Sadly, that's usually enough... still, best of luck!  :)

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #643 on: 08 September 2019, 20:50:42 »
I was thinking the other day about how it had been a long time since I had read "The Songs of Distant Earth" by Arthur C Clarke, so I bought it on Kindle and am about 1/2 way through.  I've also got a collection of his short stories to read next.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #644 on: 17 September 2019, 21:20:03 »
Logistics in the Falklands War, by Kenneth Privratsky

Fascinating and very detailed insight into the war from the perspective of logistical challenges and operations. Easy read, very well written, very well researched.

10/10 will be reading again

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #645 on: 30 September 2019, 19:52:55 »
Just finished up David Morrell's "First Blood".

I've also been on a major V:tM kick again, and finally picked up some of the Revised Clan Books to expand on what I've read in "V20: Lore of the Clans". Currently reading through "Clan Book: Gangrel" at the moment.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #646 on: 01 October 2019, 10:52:00 »
Read A Wizard of Earthsea yesterday and starting The Tombs of Atuan today. Not sure if I will read The Farthest Shore.

All three are part of the Earthsea trilogy by Ursula K. Le Guin. Pretty sure most of you know that already though...

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #647 on: 01 October 2019, 10:53:53 »
Just finished up a re-read of the Witcher novels. On to Redemption Rift!
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #648 on: 01 October 2019, 15:23:39 »
Starting Bonfire of Worlds for first time on google books.  Feel bad for Tucker. Eesh.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #649 on: 09 October 2019, 15:14:44 »
The European Guilds: An Economic Analysis by Sheilagh Ogilve. I've got the Kell Hounds novella trilogy on standby in case the medieval macroeconomics make my eyes too heavy

« Last Edit: 09 October 2019, 15:25:44 by Sartris »

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #650 on: 10 October 2019, 07:11:54 »
By the Sword by Richard Cohen

A look at sword fencing through the ages with diversions into other areas

Rather interesting
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #651 on: 10 October 2019, 21:22:21 »
Halfway through Descent Into Darkness by Edward Raymer, an account of this Navy diver's time salvaging the battleships in Pearl Harbor

He gave a very frank description of ships like the Arizona which were filled with the bodies of the poor crew. Gruesome details in spoiler. Salvage ops were hindered by the masses of decomposing flesh fouling the water, as well as fuel oil. The gases released from the mixture were poisonous and even killed some crewmembers.

Other than that, a quaint and straightforward description of an America, and Americans, in a time long past. He is equally frank in describing less than perfect fellow servicemen and adventures on liberty. Seems interesting.

The bodies were usually headless as the neck would decompose or be scavenged first, severing the skull. When he entered a compartment, the movement of the water would bring the bodies towards him as if they were swimming to him and grabbing at him. The extremities were skeletonised fast, within a couple of weeks. He described the exposed bones clicking on his hardsuit like "windchimes". Very quickly however he adjusted to regarding the corpses as merely fallen brothers in arms.

Recovery was attempted by his crew but quite unfeasible as they were basically just bringing up masses of flesh and bone. Dogtags were scattered rendering identification impossible. [/quote]

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #652 on: 14 October 2019, 20:31:49 »
Finished Descent into Darkness with how the author deployed to Guadalcanal and fought in The Slot, making repairs to the rudder of the heavy cruiser USS Portland. Interestingly, he claims that the currently widely-accepted story that Portland was towed all the way to Sydney by the tug Navajo (which is what Wikipedia states) is inaccurate, as he sailed to Sydney on board the Portland and she was under her own steam. He states that the ship's log bears out his version of events.

8/10, nice.

Next I hit up Lafcadio Hearn's Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things, for its collection of Japanese ghost stories. Very nicely written in the old style, lots of unique and uniquely Japanese stories.

10/10, would read again.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #653 on: 15 October 2019, 11:55:19 »
Last Enfield - SA80: The Reluctant Rifle by Steve Raw and R.Blake Stevens.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

RolandHTG

• Recruit
« Reply #654 on: 17 October 2019, 08:45:31 »
rereading Glynn Stewart's Castle Federation series

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #655 on: 17 October 2019, 21:57:57 »
Just finished up "Redemption Rift" and starting on "A Bonfire of Worlds".

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #656 on: 18 October 2019, 04:50:29 »
Giving the Horus Heresy series another shot... Gave up midway through book 2 last time. Just felt that grimdark is okay, but it needs some relief, a bit of humor, otherwise it's just dreary and oppressive. There's a lot in the W40K universe that is so ludicrously over the top, I think a wink and a smile here and there are needed.

Like some of the worst BTU novels though, the series often feels focused on lore and plot to the exclusion of all else. This happened and then this happened and then THIS happened and it's a bit wearing after a while.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #657 on: 21 October 2019, 00:29:02 »
Spent the weekend on a couple of Cold War-turned-hot novels which have long been on my reading list.

Arc Light by Eric Harry.
In an alternate history WW3 where the Sino-Soviet Split led to war between the USSR and PRC, a couple of Soviet military coups and American politicking inadvertently leads to nuclear war.

Well-written and enjoyable from a what-if perspective oozing with huge infodumps of war procedure. However the focus is on the national high-level leadership of both countries. There are a few obligatory cutscenes here and there of a rifleman, tank driver, and civilian point of view, but they feel generally irrelevant although the author tries his best to link them to the various decisions made by the leadership. Possibly because as a reader I never felt emotionally connected to the characters.

Overall, a good effort by someone who is apparently very knowledgeable of such scenarios. 7.5/10, would read again.

Team Yankee by Harold Coyle
In contrast, this take on the Hot War genre focuses exclusively on the adventures of a tank company commander.

I stopped reading less than halfway because this isn't a book. It's a draft. An unfinished draft. While it too is also replete with detail of tank operations, clearly from an ex-tank commander of some kind, there is almost no dialogue in the book.

It goes: "X saw that Tank 14 was improperly camouflaged. X told Lieutenant Y so. Y was a raw second lieutenant and he stammered out apologies. X told Y that sorry would not be good enough in a shooting war. X left without hearing another word. He went next to Tank 16, led by Sergeant Z who was a good man. Z's tank was well-organised. X praised Z for his reliability."

And on and on and on, for endless pages. There is a smidgen of dialogue every now and then, but most of it is in narrative style as above. Which turns what could be a very fascinating and colourful book into something not very worth reading.

2/10, did not finish.
« Last Edit: 21 October 2019, 00:33:35 by Kidd »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #658 on: 21 October 2019, 03:26:51 »
Very helpful reviews, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #659 on: 27 October 2019, 06:57:29 »
I have started reading a book that I picked up years ago at a library sale and then forgot I had: its a western by Andre Norton of all people. Stand to Horse. I'm in chapter 5 and its quite good.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Register