Author Topic: Women's world cup..  (Read 5220 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Women's world cup..
« on: 11 June 2019, 15:58:21 »
Wow.  I thought the opener with France, of 4-0, was awesome..  BUT seeing the US Ladies put 13 (a new record for the world cup) past Thailand, was thrilling...
Good on them gals!
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Women's world cup..
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2019, 16:06:55 »
13?!  :o

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2019, 16:31:14 »
So that's a goal, what, ever 4 minutes not counting extra time?

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2019, 17:26:51 »
Congrats

That looks one-sided as all hell

Don't know how true this is in the modern age, but I heard there used to be a gentleman's agreement of sorts that teams would not score more than 7 or 8 goals if they clearly outclassed the opponent

P.S. Alex Morgan pushes all my buttons :D

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2019, 18:40:39 »
More like a goal every 7 minutes as a game is 90 minutes long.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2019, 18:59:19 »
That wa just brutal.  Thailand didn't deserve a humiliation like that.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2019, 01:01:33 »
Alex Mrogan said it was about Goal Differential, which is bull shit when considering their group. At worst they go 2-0-1, with a possible tie vs Sweden. This will still get them to the elimination round. What made this worse IMO was all of the celebrating going on on the sidelines when they keep on scoring goals. Personally, I thought it was poor sportsmanship by the US women's team.
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2019, 02:27:27 »
Alex Mrogan said it was about Goal Differential, which is bull shit when considering their group. At worst they go 2-0-1, with a possible tie vs Sweden. This will still get them to the elimination round. What made this worse IMO was all of the celebrating going on on the sidelines when they keep on scoring goals. Personally, I thought it was poor sportsmanship by the US women's team.

This I can understand. I've seen one sided drubbings in person, even when it was my team, I didn't particularly want to cheer towards the end. They never let up, but I wasn't going to reward them for walking all over the other team, not much of a test of skill.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2019, 08:04:47 »
Alex Mrogan said it was about Goal Differential, which is bull shit when considering their group.

Ask Australia about assuming how things will go in group play. It's not the US's fault that FIFA has goal differential as a tie breaker and only 3 substitutions.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 12 June 2019, 08:25:46 »

Well iirc of the time line, it went 3 goals in the first half, then 4 RIGHT in the first 10 min of the 2nd half, then the other 6 strewn out through the rest of the 2nd half...

Don't know how true this is in the modern age, but I heard there used to be a gentleman's agreement of sorts that teams would not score more than 7 or 8 goals if they clearly outclassed the opponent

One of the commentors while watching, made a suggestion around that.  MOST of the others lambasted him for it though
Me though, i can see something like that at the kid level (Junior high and under), just to help build up esteem, but not at professional levels.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 12 June 2019, 08:41:55 »

can't help but see the six goals after the 74th minute as just piling on. it's not like that 7-0 lead was in jeopardy (or the goal differential tiebreaker)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 12 June 2019, 10:16:29 »
The Thai coach apparently thought highly of the Americans for treating them like a professional team and not lesser opponents to be pitied.

Quote from: Nuengrutai Srathongvian
In football, everybody is following the rules, so our opponent is trying their best. The US team was very good. We don't have any excuse and we accept that they are better. We know where we are. Playing the US is not easy, and we know we have to improve in every aspect and improve in our mentality, and the players' experience cannot be compared to them.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 12 June 2019, 11:01:00 »
I’ve never lost a soccer game 13-0, but I’ve lost several 8-0 and 7-0. I didn’t care they scored more goals.  It was our job to stop them. I wanted the opportunity to get it right, even if it was just once. Or get the one “consolation” goal.
I did ha e a tendency to complain about “normal” fouls more than usual.  I was frustrated. But I didn’t want them to stop playing or just go through the motions.
Baseball is different, it needs a mercy rule or tie game never ends. But soccer, play all out till the whistle blows. On both sides. You came to play, take every opportunity to do so.
I’ve also played on basketball teams that often had to play three of four v five because of no shows. We never asked a team to hold back. The only time we didn’t give our best was when they forced us to forfeit with only two players..

If they want a mercy rule, make it a rule. Seven goal differential, game over. Players (and coaches) shouldn’t hold back.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 12 June 2019, 13:35:29 »
There is a reason why I said, "gentleman's agreement", because there is no rule per se. Just like there is no real rule defining what is and isn't "sportsmanlike".

Though I note that in recent times this has become less of a norm. Germany 8-0 Saudi Arabia comes immediately to mind.

There's other media coverage on this out there now... Oh and the gender card is already being played... Sigh.

P.s. in football also a common yellow card offence is excessive or inappropriate celebration.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 12 June 2019, 14:06:28 »
Germany 8-0 Saudi Arabia comes immediately to mind.

I was thinking Germany 7-1 Brazil and I don't remember anyone fretting over that one.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 12 June 2019, 14:23:57 »
Germany just beat Ukraine 8-0 the same day. 

There is a reason why I said, "gentleman's agreement", because there is no rule per se. Just like there is no real rule defining what is and isn't "sportsmanlike".
You don't want a rule, you just want to judge.
P.s. in football also a common yellow card offence is excessive or inappropriate celebration.
Celebrating after a goal is never, by itself, excessive or inappropriate.  FIFA has specific guidelines for what a yellow card should be given for in celebrations.  Taking off your shirt, jumping a fence.  Nothing the US did came anywhere near close to being something FIFA has given yellow cards for.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #16 on: 12 June 2019, 15:09:21 »
I was thinking Germany 7-1 Brazil and I don't remember anyone fretting over that one.

Everyone was too busy basking the the delicious schadenfreude of one of the most overhyped sides getting absolutely dusted (just ask the Brazilians how good they thought they were). Also there’s the notion that going full tilt when you don’t have to puts you at risk to pop a hamstring or incur a concussion. If you lose one of your best players running up the score, your coach is probably looking for a new job if you lose down the road.

While I’m not nuts about the result the one main defense I’ll offer for soccer over other sports is that you can’t wholesale sub your reserves. In American football when you’re up 40 points you can send in your third string players and let the stars rest.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 12 June 2019, 15:09:34 »

You don't want a rule, you just want to judge.

Fine. We have established there is no rule.

Judgement is employed when there is no rule.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 12 June 2019, 16:24:43 »
And Francejust stole a win vs Norway on a poorly called penalty in the box. It's good to know that referee-ing is as bad in the Women's as it is in the Men's.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 12 June 2019, 16:35:15 »
Baseball is different, it needs a mercy rule or tie game never ends.
I am not in a place where I can consolidate the data right now, but I'm fairly certain this is BS.  I would be generally surprised if a game goes longer than 11 innings frequently over the course of the regular season.  Similarly a team that is crushing another isn't likely to do it in a game time that is likely 30 minutes over the average.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 12 June 2019, 17:09:40 »
Typo, I meant the game, not a tie game.
There is in fact a mercy rule in most baseball/softball games at 7.  It’s because of you can’t get the other team out, the game goes on forever. And in a situation where the skill level is on the difference of US-Thailand game was, that would be exactly the situation. Though I’m not sure pro leagues use that rule.
But that’s specific to how baseball plays.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercy_rule

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 12 June 2019, 17:20:58 »
Gotcha.  The reason that will never happen in a pro game is lost revenue from concessions that would be sold during regulations.  Same would go for FIFA.  No chance the venue is going to support shutting down early ND lose out on revenue.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 12 June 2019, 17:40:34 »
Gotcha.  The reason that will never happen in a pro game is lost revenue from concessions that would be sold during regulations.  Same would go for FIFA.  No chance the venue is going to support shutting down early ND lose out on revenue.

I hadn’t thought of that. Good point.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 12 June 2019, 20:45:44 »
If they want a mercy rule, make it a rule. Seven goal differential, game over. Players (and coaches) shouldn’t hold back.

I can see having mercy rules, for peewee leagues, not pro sport teams..

Though I note that in recent times this has become less of a norm. Germany 8-0 Saudi Arabia comes immediately to mind.
YEa, i don't remember folks saying "Maybe they should have stopped the game"< when germany won 11-0 back in 07. 

Yup.  I got one on my school's team for doing the 'take the shirt off and running around' after i scored.. 
KNEW about the getting a yellow if i did it.  DID it anyway.. Took the punishment that came.

And Francejust stole a win vs Norway on a poorly called penalty in the box. It's good to know that referee-ing is as bad in the Women's as it is in the Men's.

Agreed.  I've already seen at least 5 penalties that SHOULD have been given, but weren't, and one that DID get given that shouldn't have..

There's times i'd LOVE to see the teams be able to give a red to the REF after a game for Crummy refereeing..

I hadn’t thought of that. Good point.
Hence why i can see having mercy rules, for kiddie/school games (Junior highs and below), but not really when you get to the pros.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 12 June 2019, 21:55:30 »
Note I’m not advocating for the mercy rule. I’m just saying that if you want the US to not run up the score, then make it a rule. Judging them afterwards for playing their hearts out to the end is wrong.  You play your best, at all times. 

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #25 on: 12 June 2019, 23:46:40 »
Ask Australia about assuming how things will go in group play. It's not the US's fault that FIFA has goal differential as a tie breaker and only 3 substitutions.

No assumptions made by the Matildas, we are going to struggle this World Cup, especially after our Football Federation of Australia decide to sack the Matildas Head Coach 6 months before World Cup based on unspecified "team cultural issues".

I guess they are the same team cultural issues that saw the Matildas to being 4th ranked team in the world and success in the Tournament of Nations . . .  ::)
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #26 on: 13 June 2019, 09:41:35 »
I have no problems with what the US women did, as it seems to be part of the team's culture.  Now if they get into the finals say and are not celebrating their goals or are not celebrating goals with the whole team when they are losing then it becomes questionable.  I give the Thai coach major props, that is the right attitude to carry forward.  Weirdest conversation I ever heard between two coaches was when the team I was on as a freshman traveled to play a school two tiers higher (1A vs 3A), and that coach told ours he appreciated being able to play against us, that his team could learn a lot (16-2?).  The US Women's team (or coach) is aware of the rules and they are playing to the point of not leaving anything to chance- that is the way to play and plan out participation.  From what I heard afterwards, the US Women talked with the Thai players and offered them encouragement- not what you would typically call unsportswomanlike conduct.

HS baseball I was on the winning side of a 35-0 game that got called in 5 innings for the mercy rule, freshmen were playing by that fifth inning- mostly because we knew the game would get called instead of going to seven.  I sat through the stands when my football team was losing on the road 77-0, and was pissed off with all the commentators who said the winning team exhibited poor sportsmanship by running up the score.  When you send in the 3rd string, keep running the SAME EXACT PLAY, and try to burn up the clock, not much else you can do to play out the game.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #27 on: 13 June 2019, 11:10:50 »
I'm reminded of the Dream Team in '92, and both the sheer stomping they delivered (averaging 44 points more than their opponents among all matches) as well as the sheer joy the other countries had playing against the best American players.  Yeah, they were all slaughtered, but they were proud to just have shown up against them, and there was a lot of respect on all sides.

On a PERSONAL basis, it's early in the World Cup and from a strategic position, after it got to 4 or 5-0 I would have told the girls to back off, but that's just to preserve their strength and not go all-out needlessly and risk injury in a game that's already won.  Save it for the next rounds, as it were; take it easy and hold your lead and defend hard but don't do anything that might bite you for future rounds.  But that's just strategy, and I'm all for this level of competition going to the bitter end.

Besides, God and Pele alone know what kind of wild, weird upset is gonna happen in minute 80.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #28 on: 13 June 2019, 11:58:50 »
I think it's a lesson to the governing body that the tournament itself should be downsized. There just isn't that many talented teams who have a chance on the world stage, especially in women's sports right now. Eventually that will become the case as it catches on, but that day isn't today. This was the equivalent of having a AAA baseball team in the majors -- They're flat-out not ready to be there.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 13 June 2019, 12:51:37 »
Thailand beat Indonesia 13-0 a year ago.  Cambodia 11-0 a year ago. Malasia and Timor-Leste 8-0.  They lost to Japan only 2-0 and China 2-0 less than a year ago.
Note that 13-0 was in a friendly, ie there was no tournament that was tracking goals scored for a tiebreaker.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand_women%27s_national_football_team

Thailand never asked the US to back off, Thailand has never backed off when they were in the same situation.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #30 on: 13 June 2019, 13:12:44 »
And asking our players to hold back can engender bad habits that could come back to haunt us when we do need a full effort in the latter stages of play. It's better not to hold back and just let the girls play, come what may. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #31 on: 13 June 2019, 14:52:01 »
I'm reminded of the Dream Team in '92, and both the sheer stomping they delivered (averaging 44 points more than their opponents among all matches) as well as the sheer joy the other countries had playing against the best American players.  Yeah, they were all slaughtered, but they were proud to just have shown up against them, and there was a lot of respect on all sides.

the '92 team was a global revenge tour for prior officiating injustices visited on our previously college player-stocked teams (and some suggestion from the soviets that they were better at basketball). the sole objective was total slaughter from the outset.

jordan and barkley were throwing what are now tech 1-level elbows that entire run. the price of admission to play against your heroes i guess.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 13 June 2019, 22:15:56 »

Not been there myself, but i too would have loved it if our school team i was on, played against someone a lot more skilled (say college level), even if we lost, the experience alone would hav been good..

On a PERSONAL basis, it's early in the World Cup and from a strategic position, after it got to 4 or 5-0 I would have told the girls to back off, but that's just to preserve their strength and not go all-out needlessly and risk injury in a game that's already won.  Save it for the next rounds, as it were; take it easy and hold your lead and defend hard but don't do anything that might bite you for future rounds.  But that's just strategy, and I'm all for this level of competition going to the bitter end.

Besides, God and Pele alone know what kind of wild, weird upset is gonna happen in minute 80.

True that..  Look at Italy vs Australia..   The Aussies were slated by most to win..

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #33 on: 15 June 2019, 01:56:19 »
And on the topic of 'upsets at the end of the game' I point to last night's Padres game.  8th inning starts, San Diego is down 11-4.  They tie it up and in the 12th inning surge ahead with a 16-12 victory after being down by seven runs just a few innings ago. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNLUS0o69wQ
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 16 June 2019, 16:28:47 »
Pity i've never been a baseball fan.  That would have been something to watch.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 16 June 2019, 19:14:58 »
Pity i've never been a baseball fan.  That would have been something to watch.
Not if you are a Rockies fan like me, It happened again today as the Rockies were up 13-8 in the 6th and manage to lose for 14-13.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2019, 19:20:44 by Sharpnel »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #36 on: 16 June 2019, 20:12:08 »
Baseball also lacks a near-universal constant - a clock.

USA vs Thailand was closer to GA Tech 222 vs 0 Cumberland than the Bills coming back from down 35-3 at half to beat the oilers in the ‘92 playoffs. The two soccer sides were not on the same competitive level. The baseball analogy might be more apt if you had a major league team losing to a low A fall league club in come from behind fashion

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #37 on: 07 July 2019, 16:50:40 »
Congratulations to Team USA for their 2-0 victory today over the Netherlands in the final match of World Cup play.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 07 July 2019, 18:36:07 »
anything less than victory for USA would be seen as an absolute failure. Their victory was pre-ordained. The rest of the word still lags behind the US Women/ They had reached near parity just over a decade ago, but they have slipped back or the USA has had a resurgence to dominance. Still, there is too much arrogance on this team.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #39 on: 07 July 2019, 18:41:35 »
There are WAY too many Rule 4 issues in play here... Am I happy my country won an international competition?  Yes, by all means.  Can we discuss WHY we won without diving hopelessly into politics?  Sadly, no.  At least judging by the press in general...

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 07 July 2019, 19:10:40 »
Congrats!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #41 on: 07 July 2019, 19:51:56 »
There are WAY too many Rule 4 issues in play here... Am I happy my country won an international competition?  Yes, by all means.  Can we discuss WHY we won without diving hopelessly into politics?  Sadly, no.  At least judging by the press in general...

Politics and sports have always been entangled.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 07 July 2019, 20:07:11 »
Still, there is too much arrogance on this team.

Arrogance is unearned confidence.

This team has earned it a few times.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 07 July 2019, 21:06:06 »

And that’s the tea.

(I’m young and hip now, quaff?)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 07 July 2019, 22:17:44 »
And the US Men just lost to Mexico in the Gold Cup final for the 5th time. It's Mexico' 8th Gold Cup victory.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 08 July 2019, 01:21:33 »
Politics and sports have always been entangled.

Not from my perspective..  I don't think sports got political till the mid 2000s.. 

That they have.  The US Mens team could take some great lessons on how to properly pass, and keep the ball from the ladies..

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 08 July 2019, 02:07:41 »
Not from my perspective..  I don't think sports got political till the mid 2000s.

It's been going on throughout recorded history.  The Olympics, both current and the ancient Greek version have always been heavily political, there have been rivalries between teams based on political affiliations (like capitalist vs communist countries).  The process of trying to get a professional sports team to move or be formed in a particular city has always been quite political to the point that politicians have made it campaign platforms.  And as for the type of political issues being brought up this time, well, all I have to say is Jackie Robinson.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 08 July 2019, 03:26:13 »

And as for the type of political issues being brought up this time, well, all I have to say is Jackie Robinson.
That may be what some people are trying to invoke.

But then again, that in itself is a political game. See also: Venus Williams.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #48 on: 08 July 2019, 03:57:20 »
The team was very political and very arrogant. Not the whole team just a couple of major mouths. I'm very glad they won and hope the best. But the attitudes show-boating and grandstanding and the way high pedestal that people have put the team on has really tarnish the win. IMO
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 08 July 2019, 08:13:27 »
I thought it was interesting that the team had to defeat all of the European nations that had colonies that formed the US on their way to the championship, aside from Russia.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 08 July 2019, 08:43:25 »
The team was very political and very arrogant. Not the whole team just a couple of major mouths. I'm very glad they won and hope the best. But the attitudes show-boating and grandstanding and the way high pedestal that people have put the team on has really tarnish the win. IMO

"Last month, Rapinoe told the Washington Post’s Liz Clarke about what she called the team’s “double-earn.” “I have to do everything I have to do on the field. Then I have to do everything else to prove to you that that’s enough,” Rapinoe said. “I have to somehow justify myself or convince you that what I just did was amazing. And I already just did it.”
https://slate.com/culture/2019/07/uswnt-excellence-womens-world-cup-final.html

When the NWSL has enough attendance to not have teams folding and can take care of their players, maybe they can afford to be a little more humble. Until then, they still have a long ways to go to convince the world that they are "worthy", and being humble isn't going to accomplish that. Particularly when there's still practically zero in terms of NWSL marketing. They have to sell themselves. They have to be the best and they have to tell the world they are. Their careers depend on it. The future of pro women's soccer depends on it.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 08 July 2019, 10:30:07 »

None of this would be "arrogance" for a men's team.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 08 July 2019, 10:36:08 »
So, we went to the Women’s World Cup (just left Lyon a couple hours ago for Paris and eventually home) and it was a lot of fun.
I’m Australian- so it was sad to see the Matildas bow out - but glad we made it through to Round of 16.
The last couple of games, which saw the US on their way to victory were interesting - they were just so obviously superior to the British and while they beat the Dutch convincingly, the score didn’t reflect how well they Dutch played. For a while, that match could have gone either way.

But regardless - the vibe in the stadiums was great - so many Americans, so you typically felt out numbered, regardless of who you were supporting.
Great fun though!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #53 on: 08 July 2019, 10:41:30 »
"Last month, Rapinoe told the Washington Post’s Liz Clarke about what she called the team’s “double-earn.” “I have to do everything I have to do on the field. Then I have to do everything else to prove to you that that’s enough,” Rapinoe said. “I have to somehow justify myself or convince you that what I just did was amazing. And I already just did it.”
https://slate.com/culture/2019/07/uswnt-excellence-womens-world-cup-final.html

When the NWSL has enough attendance to not have teams folding and can take care of their players, maybe they can afford to be a little more humble. Until then, they still have a long ways to go to convince the world that they are "worthy", and being humble isn't going to accomplish that. Particularly when there's still practically zero in terms of NWSL marketing. They have to sell themselves. They have to be the best and they have to tell the world they are. Their careers depend on it. The future of pro women's soccer depends on it.
Braggadocio has done little to improve their numbers. Even the World Cup final was sparsely populated (it looked like about 60% seat attendance, from what I could see; probably more in paid attendance). This is being advertised (by players, by media, hell, even the Nike ad) as a fight against some massive, glass wall keeping the USWNT from commercial success. The fact is, simply, that women don't attend women's soccer events. Or, at least not enough of them to make it profitable. "Support" in the way of memes and re-Tweets doesn't generate revenue. And that's all the effort a lot of people are willing to put in.

Until people actually buy a ticket, attend the game, and buy merch, nothing will change. And even then, it won't be enough, unless it's consistent. The NC Courage's stadium seats 10,000. Last year, their average attendance was only slightly over 50% of that mark. To put that in comparison, the LA Galaxy drew ~24,000/game in 2018, and their stadium capacity is 27,000. With those kinds of numbers, you're not going to reach parity.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 08 July 2019, 10:53:43 »
Locked pending review
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"