Author Topic: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings  (Read 48682 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings
« on: 02 July 2019, 01:39:48 »
with free agency started today, figured I should start up the new thread.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2019, 02:07:11 »
It has that new thread smell in here still.

Speaking of offer sheets, if Mitch Marner is tendered a legit offer, what if the Leafs just let it ride and took the four first rounders?  Some of the click bait rumuors I've read hint at just such a situation.  Including their own picks, that's 8 first round picks in four years.  I know Toronto isn't really rebuilding, but first round picks are still a valuable commodity.  Just some food for hockey thought.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2019, 08:39:08 »
It has that new thread smell in here still.

better than that hockey gear duffel bag smell...

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2019, 10:34:46 »
better than that hockey gear duffel bag smell...

There's not much WORSE than that one. I'm pretty sure my parents' old garage from when I was in high school is still a superfund site from having had my pads in it.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2019, 10:43:21 »
some of the guys on my football team did hockey as their winter sport and used the SAME BAG for both sports. the locker room was one of the most heinous places i've ever been... and i've been on a tour of a sewage processing facility.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2019, 11:21:54 »
Hopefully a year one game more successful than last
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2019, 14:10:54 »
There's not much WORSE than that one. I'm pretty sure my parents' old garage from when I was in high school is still a superfund site from having had my pads in it.
Climbing shoes. Particularly ones belonging to a teenager. No amount of Lysol and Febreeze can make that stench go away.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2019, 15:11:56 »
While in the Army I threw out a pair of boots that were in otherwise decent shape because of a stench nothing could tame.
I have spoken.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 02 July 2019, 20:21:51 »
As a Caps fan, I'm concerned about the portents your thread title portends.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #9 on: 02 July 2019, 21:13:15 »
A Cap Beating could be a 5 to 1 Capitals victory.   >:D

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 02 July 2019, 22:09:57 »
Speaking of offer sheets, if Mitch Marner is tendered a legit offer, what if the Leafs just let it ride and took the four first rounders?  Some of the click bait rumuors I've read hint at just such a situation.  Including their own picks, that's 8 first round picks in four years.  I know Toronto isn't really rebuilding, but first round picks are still a valuable commodity.  Just some food for hockey thought.
So with Kadri getting traded to the Avs and Barrie coming back in return the Leafs free up some salary and can afford to match the offer sheet that anyone might toss out there unless it is absurd.  If another team offered to sign him to a 10+ mil contract though I'd let the other team have him and take the picks.  There is no questions that Marner is an above average player, but I don't know that he is going to we worth that cash AND you have two other guys tying up 22.6 million.  Do you really want to have 3 guys taking up 40% of you cap space?  The answer is no.

4 1st rounders is just printing money at this point, I'd take it in a heart beat.  Even if you don't need the players to stock your team they have value when some other team decides to scrap its playoff ambitions and rebuild as trade bait.  The Wild immediately come to mind and with the expansion draft happening in a few years that's also bait to convince Seattle not to take someone off of the Toronto roster.  I read today, though I can't remember where, that Montreal's offer to Aho has considerable front loaded bonus money.  I can't wait to see what that poison pill is and would be interested to see if any other wealthy team tries the same tactic in the future.

As a Caps fan, I'm concerned about the portents your thread title portends.
The first sign of worry was when they signed Richard Panik for 4 years  ;)  I think the plan you get the Panik out now and worry about what happens next year when we have to re-sign Holtby and Backstrom.  I'm certain the Caps can't afford to sign both at what is going to be a market value that is significantly higher than what they make now.  I expect they lose one or both.  If they keep both of them expect that someone else gets traded to clear salary.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #11 on: 02 July 2019, 22:43:30 »
Carolina tried the same with Detroit when they offered Sergei Fedorov a heavily front loaded offersheet complete with a $10 million signing bonus, 7 million for the first two years and only two mil a year after that.  All that for the first-ever offersheet.  We matched it, of course.  And Sergei went on to be a cornerstone for three Cups. 

It was a different era but same sort of deal.  Now that tactic has come home to roost.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #12 on: 03 July 2019, 01:15:28 »
The 'Canes have matched the Habs' offer for Ago, so he is going nowhere and Carolina is now on the hook for 21 million over the first two years.  So like I said, not too rich for Tom Dundon's blood.  But with the 'Canes having matched so quickly, it frees Bergevin up to try again.

Cheers, Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 03 July 2019, 09:56:43 »
I think we are done with the offer sheets for this year.  There are only 3 guys worth offer sheets left and with the exception of Marner the other two would match without question.  Montreal can't afford to give Toronto 4 first round picks.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 03 July 2019, 22:42:41 »
And Aho's annual salary is......$700-750k with an 11.3 million signing bonus for this year and a stagnating signing bonus that is worth no less than 5.2 million. That's fairly absurd, but at least Aho won't be in any rush to bolt back to the ice when the NHL next locks out the players because he will still get paid.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #15 on: 05 July 2019, 04:03:36 »
And Aho's annual salary is......$700-750k with an 11.3 million signing bonus for this year and a stagnating signing bonus that is worth no less than 5.2 million. That's fairly absurd, but at least Aho won't be in any rush to bolt back to the ice when the NHL next locks out the players because he will still get paid.

That ridiculous amount of front-loading is what was supposed to make Carolina balk at re-signing Aho.  But it was something that they proved able to (or were at least willing to) swallow.  How it impacts the rest of their budgeting for signing other players remains to be seen.

In any event, the winners are:
Aho
Gerry Johannssen (his agent)
the 'Canes (at least in the very short term)

The losers, once again, are Marc Bergevin and the Habs.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 05 July 2019, 16:47:06 »
I really want the Devils or Blue Jackets to offer sheet Marner just to see how crazy things can get.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #17 on: 05 July 2019, 17:55:38 »
I keep checking the internet hoping the same thing.  It's quiet right now and boring.  Someone should offer sheet Marner just to stir things up.

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: 05 July 2019, 18:05:41 »
The Canucks just got Luongo for just $3 mil per season.  :thumbsup:

Wait, WTF?

xp
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #19 on: 05 July 2019, 18:07:56 »
Right?  He treats retirement lthe same way Ozzy does.

Edit: Looks like a $3 mil cap penalty of some sort for Vancouver. 
« Last Edit: 05 July 2019, 18:37:06 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #21 on: 06 July 2019, 02:09:35 »
According to rumour, Brayden Point of Tampa Bay turned down an offer sheet from Montreal.  Seems Bergevin isn't letting it get him down.

Other rumours have Montreal looking at Patrik Laine of the Jets next. 

Yet more rumuors have Marner being the possible target of an offer sheet by the Isles, who lost out on the Panarin sweepstakes. 

It's rumourville, but rumour sometimes portends the future.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 06 July 2019, 15:44:41 »
If any of those rumors happen I will be thoroughly entertained.  Marcus Johansson to the Sabres.  While they haven't done much flashy this off season if Kruger can somehow keep the team competitive through the season, that would be a win.  If it doesn't work out almost half the team will be out the door on UFA contracts.

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: 07 July 2019, 09:37:14 »
Cap recapture.  Explained here in more detail:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/3ctmu2/the_cap_recapture_penalty_what_it_is_and_why_it/

Otherwise known as the "Roberto Luongo rule" >:( :(

Nice of the league to apply it retroactively to punish teams for following the rules that existed at the time.
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #24 on: 07 July 2019, 10:12:22 »
If any of those rumors happen I will be thoroughly entertained.  Marcus Johansson to the Sabres.  While they haven't done much flashy this off season if Kruger can somehow keep the team competitive through the season, that would be a win.  If it doesn't work out almost half the team will be out the door on UFA contracts.

Johansson was great in Playoffs hooked up with Coyle very well but didn't fancy staying I'm guessing personal more than financial
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 07 July 2019, 17:48:54 »
I don't know that Boston was going to be able to give him the cash he got in Buffalo.  Mcavoy and Carlo need new contracts and while I don't think they will both make 5 mil a year, you have to keep that in mind until they are signed which means less potential money for Johansson later.  The fact that Buffalo gave him a 10 team MNTC probably is something Boston wasn't willing to give him.  They gave it to Backes, which was a horrible idea, and probably didn't need the same headache if Johansson's play went south.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #26 on: 09 July 2019, 07:26:44 »
Hehe.

Quote from: EPSN
Valtteri Filppula's return to Detroit for two years is the kind of move for which Ken Holland would have been demolished, but for which Yzerman gets a "because he's Steve Yzerman" pass.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #27 on: 09 July 2019, 07:33:26 »
I was kind of confused by the move too, but hadn't thought of it like that.

True though.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #28 on: 09 July 2019, 17:54:25 »
Holland would have signed him for five years.  A two year deal isn't so bad.  Were still living with a lot of Holland's long-term deals.

I'm surprised the Wings didn't buy out one or two of those deals, namely Jonathan Ericsson.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 10 July 2019, 00:00:20 »
This move is so mediocre and so Holland I forgot that Yzerman is the GM and that Holland is in Edmonton.  Since there isn't a whole lot of signings going on I give you one of the best non booze, food filling ideas for the cup:

https://twitter.com/StLouisBlues/status/1148387200561795072/photo/1

Register