Author Topic: Top Gun: Mavrick  (Read 8154 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Top Gun: Mavrick
« Reply #30 on: 20 July 2019, 10:42:15 »
I'm sure there will be some hand waving about a time in service waiver.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: 20 July 2019, 11:12:09 »
Gods, who gives a crap about how long Maverick has been in service? It's a MOVIE, they can make up anything they want.

The only realism I expect in the movie is the flight scenes (as they're real, and not CGI). And I intent to enjoy the ****** out of it, and don't give a shit about how realistic Maverick being active duty is or not.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 20 July 2019, 11:13:08 »
Gods, who gives a crap about how long Maverick has been in service?

This is the correct response.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #33 on: 20 July 2019, 11:24:55 »
Oh, I meant it a bit as a joke.  I look forward to seeing what reasons they come up with it.

Heck, Top Gun is part of the reason I love the F-14.  GI Joe's Striker jet is another- and I got THAT b/c it was the available Joe plane.

Wonder if they rented the Blue Angels team for some of the flying?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 20 July 2019, 11:26:06 »
I look forward to seeing what reasons they come up with it.

They shouldn't.  It's a meaningless detail.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #35 on: 20 July 2019, 11:39:01 »
Really?  b/c that 50+ year old pilot is not going to have the reflexes or cardio-vascular system to push the performance of a fighter jet to the edge like a younger pilot.

Its also a trope I expect them to include- tired old warrior fighting one last time because it matters.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 20 July 2019, 11:43:31 »
Of course that part is important.

The part that doesn't matter is literally anything about a Time in Service waiver.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #37 on: 20 July 2019, 12:01:42 »
Really?  b/c that 50+ year old pilot is not going to have the reflexes or cardio-vascular system to push the performance of a fighter jet to the edge like a younger pilot.

Its also a trope I expect them to include- tired old warrior fighting one last time because it matters.

I submit Commander Tim “Scorch” Kurtz:

https://fightersweep.com/1370/us-navys-oldest-active-fighter-pilot-retires/

And Squadron Leader Phillip Frawley:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/07/19/australia/australia-oldest-fighter-pilot-intl/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 20 July 2019, 12:01:53 »
tired old warrior fighting one last time because it matters.
No, it doesn’t. If they decided to make a Top Gun 3 with Mav in it even after showing his plane blow up, ejector sheet catch on fire, and his body sink into the Marianas Trench, then they would. Nobody is truly dead in fiction.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #39 on: 20 July 2019, 12:11:15 »
You misunderstood that . . . the trope is that he is going to fight one more time, because this time it matters more than ever before.  We get that messaging in a lot of things, but . . . its like the Rocky movies . . . no matter how old Rocky/Sly has gotten, you go to Rocky VI knowing he is going to fight.  Heck, after 4 IIRC there were all sorts of jokes about 'Rocky XX- Even in a wheelchair Rocky can be dangerous in the ring.'
Colt Ward

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #40 on: 20 July 2019, 14:31:33 »
You misunderstood that . . . the trope is that he is going to fight one more time, because this time it matters more than ever before.  We get that messaging in a lot of things, but . . . its like the Rocky movies . . . no matter how old Rocky/Sly has gotten, you go to Rocky VI knowing he is going to fight.  Heck, after 4 IIRC there were all sorts of jokes about 'Rocky XX- Even in a wheelchair Rocky can be dangerous in the ring.'

Don't forget about "Rocky Five...THOUSAND" in Spaceballs...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #41 on: 20 July 2019, 16:56:29 »
That aft shot of Tom Cruise launching off the carrier, that was him in the shot probably sitting in the 2nd seat on a FA18. He does like doing all of his own stunts, and he is a pilot, and there was some shenanigans going on during the filming on the carrier.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 21 July 2019, 01:13:57 »
Up Or Out . . .

Maverick would be piloting a desk or a lawn chair by now since its over 30 years since he was a carrier pilot.

Yup.  As a navy guy, he'd have had to make admiral to have stayed in..  At least IMO 2 star.

Gods, who gives a crap about how long Maverick has been in service? It's a MOVIE, they can make up anything they want.

You may not, but for many of us who WERE in the military, things like that do matter..

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #43 on: 21 July 2019, 03:43:05 »
I'm personally a little annoyed at "the only person to make three kills in 40 years" because it completely ignores several pilots in 1991 that also reached that score during the first Gulf War.  If it were "the only Navy flier" or "in one engagement" or other qualifiers it'd be accurate, but as it is it feels a little...eh, I dunno, ignoring real accomplishments to make your characters sound cooler always itched me wrong.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #44 on: 21 July 2019, 04:05:22 »
I'm assuming he is referencing doing it in a single dog-fight.

It is a trailer after all, we don't see the entire scene.

Either way, we know he's talking about the end of TG1 where he took out 3 Migs in 1 a couple minutes.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #45 on: 21 July 2019, 05:23:12 »
I'm personally a little annoyed at "the only person to make three kills in 40 years" because it completely ignores several pilots in 1991 that also reached that score during the first Gulf War.  If it were "the only Navy flier" or "in one engagement" or other qualifiers it'd be accurate, but as it is it feels a little...eh, I dunno, ignoring real accomplishments to make your characters sound cooler always itched me wrong.

Who says the Gulf Wars ever happened in the Top Gun universe?

Ruger

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #46 on: 21 July 2019, 11:08:05 »
They shouldn't.  It's a meaningless detail.
Could be hilarious, though.

Found a meme for this but won't post because I don't want a warning. But the gist of it is...

"You should be a two-star admiral by now. Yet here you are a captain. Why is that?"
*picture of male genitalia written in sky by navy pilots*

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 21 July 2019, 12:55:39 »
You may not, but for many of us who WERE in the military, things like that do matter..

This is a work of fiction.  I served too; this detail is utterly meaningless in every scope or interpretation.  That's not how it works in the real military, we get it.  If you want an accurate recreation of the Navy's bureaucratic process I don't think a blockbuster is where you're going to get it.

You may as well complain about not seeing morning PRT because no one said anything about having a profile.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 21 July 2019, 13:54:17 »
I suspect that the inconsistencies are not just for the sake of the story, but also something for the veterans to chuckle about with their friends.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 21 July 2019, 20:01:46 »
The Top Gun Universe......never heard that on until now.
So many universes.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #50 on: 23 July 2019, 04:11:12 »
Apparently, the Navy thought the question was interesting enough to actually answer: https://news.usni.org/2019/07/22/navy-answers-how-a-57-year-old-maverick-could-still-feel-the-need-for-speed

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #51 on: 23 July 2019, 05:44:46 »
Well, it's free PR and I bet a couple of USN aviators would actually like to know.  ;)
liber et infractus

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #52 on: 23 July 2019, 07:56:32 »
Apparently, the Navy thought the question was interesting enough to actually answer: https://news.usni.org/2019/07/22/navy-answers-how-a-57-year-old-maverick-could-still-feel-the-need-for-speed

The real question is how did his career survive Tailhook?   :D
I have spoken.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 23 July 2019, 09:05:53 »
It seems like shows and movies like to keep people where they are at and never promote them.

With a look a Picard with his show coming out....he was a captain for 20 years before TNG, and was a Captain well after that for another 20 years.
Some people just like to be where they are at.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #54 on: 23 July 2019, 09:16:39 »

The real question is how did his career survive Tailhook?   :D
Mostly intact, but he did lose that lovin' feelin'.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #55 on: 23 July 2019, 15:53:47 »
Heck, I had to sign a page 2 that I wasn't there, and I wasn't even out of college yet!

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #56 on: 23 July 2019, 17:32:01 »
I'm actually looking forward to this, because the cinematography looks to be well done. Too much CGI makes for lazy movie making these days.
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 23 July 2019, 21:01:56 »
Well, it's free PR and I bet a couple of USN aviators would actually like to know.  ;)

The Navy assisted in making the movie, they had people on set and had final cut on the rough final approval.

It's explained here, shipping with why Maverick is still in the Navy as a Captain. One explanation is that he has a separation from service, such as flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong.

https://taskandpurpose.com/why-maverick-is-still-a-captain-30-years-after-top-gun-according-to-the-navy
« Last Edit: 24 July 2019, 03:13:50 by Bosefius »
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 23 July 2019, 21:26:13 »
It seems like shows and movies like to keep people where they are at and never promote them.

With a look a Picard with his show coming out....he was a captain for 20 years before TNG, and was a Captain well after that for another 20 years.
Some people just like to be where they are at.

Maggie Simpson lovin' them diapers.

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #59 on: 23 July 2019, 21:37:19 »
Given the fallout from Arya Stark's grownup moment, even though the character and actor had aged commensurately, people don't like to have drastic changes to established expectations. Thus Maverick is still a Captain, safer choice, all things considered.
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.