Author Topic: Beginner Force List help  (Read 1264 times)

driftingkenshi

• Recruit
Beginner Force List help
« on: 17 January 2020, 22:30:13 »
Hi folks,
I've just taken the plunge into this giant Battletech world. How do I determine the kinds of mechs that ComStar has available so that I can start building my forces and painting them? Thanks!

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Maelwys

• Major
Re: Beginner Force List help
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2020, 22:55:24 »
Depends on the era you're playing with really.

The MUL can show you what ComStar has available to it over the years. If you want more generic stuff, you can add "Inner Sphere General" to the faction filter.

Prior to Tukayyid, they're going to be able to pretty much have whatever they want, such as old Star League tech that they've saved, and buying anything else over the centuries, except for late bloomers like the Wolfhound. After Tukayyid, they're going to still have the Star League tech, but they're also buying from mostly Kurita, and the FedCom after that.

driftingkenshi

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2020, 23:05:49 »
Thanks, folks. That list helps a lot. One question, though: what does the star symbol on the MUL mean?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2020, 00:03:44 »
What Star Symbol?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2020, 00:10:36 »
It means it’s the variant featured in a Technical Readout

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

driftingkenshi

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2020, 00:20:13 »
Thank you, Sartis.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2020, 01:02:11 »
Yeah, basically it was just the variant that was featured/stat'd/primary in a TRO.

One thing to keep in mind, is that some products, like the Tukayyid Sourcebook have information on ComGuard forces, but the fluff has changed and evolved over time.

You might also be interested in the Field Manual: ComStar though its set in 3060 or so.