Author Topic: Marian Hegemony  (Read 8123 times)

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
Marian Hegemony
« on: 19 June 2017, 16:47:56 »
Did the Marian Hegemony have any production centers for BattleMechs, Vehicles, AeroSpace Fighters, DropShips or JumpShips during the 3000-3025 era?

If so, which worlds?

If not, how hard would it be for a manufacturing center to be established?
GreyWolf.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Marian Hegemony
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2017, 17:05:06 »
Did the Marian Hegemony have any production centers for BattleMechs, Vehicles, AeroSpace Fighters, DropShips or JumpShips during the 3000-3025 era?

If so, which worlds?

If not, how hard would it be for a manufacturing center to be established?

They didn't. The MH started out as a bandit kingdom and simply grew slowly. Most of their worlds were low-tech and had low populations, which didn't really support the sort of high-tech infrastrucutre needed for such projects.

It didn't start producing its own tanks until the 3060s, and its own BattleMechs until the Jihad. In both of those cases, it had outside help setting up the manufacturing.

Also, nobody in the Periphery, save for the Raven Alliance, has the capacity to build jumpships
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2017, 17:12:00 »
I am pretty sure that the Periphery Field Manual said something about Scout Jump Ships being made in either Taurian Concordat or Magistracy of Canopus... But aside from that, even repair facilities would be a huge boon to the campaign, but I am more interested in just what is in there...

So really it comes down to that there is no good (major) production in the Marian Hegemony pre-3030?
GreyWolf.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2017, 17:13:47 »
They did have germanium stores which is a valuable commodity for building Jumpships which perhaps they traded for arms.

Surmising they salvaged their way to a larger and larger Mech force slowly restoring beat up war machines into working condition is likely where they obtained the bulk of their hardware.

Also they made extensive use of privateers, raiding others in advance of all out assaults. 

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2017, 22:13:41 »
IIRC, the MoC now (3150) have a JS yard, thanks to the CC.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2017, 22:47:32 »
I am pretty sure that the Periphery Field Manual said something about Scout Jump Ships being made in either Taurian Concordat or Magistracy of Canopus... But aside from that, even repair facilities would be a huge boon to the campaign, but I am more interested in just what is in there...

So really it comes down to that there is no good (major) production in the Marian Hegemony pre-3030?

Not even that. Before the Jihad, only Stars Ed and maybe the Outworlds Alliance had yards capable of servicing Jumpships. Nobody in the periphery could build new Jumpships.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2017, 00:01:10 »
According to Major Periphery States, the ATC began building in Alphard the J. Edgar Hoover in 3050, already making infantry weapons before that.
Marian Arms Inc manufactured the Gladius from before 3050 so it was the target of the embargo after its invasion of Lothario from the CA / 10 for the Gladius, which was recently officially lifted in 3064.
Hadrian Enterprises theoretically began to manufacture Harasser and SRM Carrier by 3050 to compete with Marian Arms Inc, before that it manufactured infantry weapons and BMPs

The Gladius was started to build in 3042 according to the Sourcebook Periphery
« Last Edit: 20 June 2017, 00:03:32 by Adacas »

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2017, 18:16:04 »
Check the MUL and Sarna, too.  Probably the easiest thing to do.

I have to admit I'm a bit disgusted at their treatment by the PTB.  My inner fascist insists a culture based on the Roman empire would be more inclined to think long-term.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2017, 21:50:50 »
The Marians are more like Mussolini than Augustus Caesar - they're impoverished, they're expanding by picking on the weak, and they're pretty insecurely in control if they take their eyes off the game. I'm sure they'd love to plan long-term, it's just that the slaves potential citizens in the new colonies are revolting (and not very nice either), and the nice Mr. Morden from WoB wants to do you a favour, and ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2017, 00:27:20 »
Oh, I know.  There are reasons for where they are.  I just focus on the periphery by choice, I guess.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 23 June 2017, 00:19:32 »
Question - I'm building a support century for a Jihad-era legion. Total force two maniples:
- 1st maniple has heavy mech century, light mech century, and laser carrier century
- 2nd maniple has a scout vehicle century, century of Ravager suits with APCs, and this support century.

I had planned to work with a pair of Marksman-proxies, a Demolisher (for bodyguard), and a pair of AC-2 Bulldogs for AA protection. But the Bulldogs are off the list.

While in real life I'm constrained for choice of vees to what I have in stock, but - given your druthers, and the Marian & Periphery General lists for Jihad era, what would you use in these two slots? The choices should support the artillery pieces well.

Thanks in advance!
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2017, 08:25:34 »
How about Zhukovs with some flak ammo or Partisans?
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 23 June 2017, 09:53:30 »
Since regular artillery shells can be used for flak, I'd just add a couple more Marksmen.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #13 on: 24 June 2017, 22:49:07 »
I think the Marian Hegemony builds AC-2 Carrier, you could use those, the Hadrian Incorporated Company built in Pompey for some time I think

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #14 on: 12 July 2017, 23:41:55 »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 12 July 2017, 23:43:01 »
If you go to the minis forum, you'll see what I had in stock :)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 12 July 2017, 23:46:53 »
Yeah I saw that, Laser Carriers, back when I talked to you on email.

Cool minis...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

AJCHVY

• Recruit
« Reply #17 on: 26 August 2018, 15:54:59 »
Figured I'd ask here as I've had no luck elsewhere.

I know the basic force breakdown for the MHAF Legios/Cohorts/etc and roughly how many mechs, tanks, battle armor, etc are supposed to be in each but I was wondering if the unit organization would follow inner sphere rules for commanding officers or if they would have their own unique command structure.

I'm doing Legio II in 3075 and wanted to know if the lead mech of the 1st cohort 1st maniple 1st century would be a Legatus or a Principes?

Also is there a Centurion who leads each other unit in the Maniple. 1 for Battle armor, 1 for all of the infantry, 1 for the tanks, and 1 for the aerospace?

Thanks

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 26 August 2018, 16:12:08 »
May I suggest:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Marian_Hegemony_Armed_Forces

Perfects lead the Legion
Legatus leads the Cohort, and Aero Squadrons
Principes leads the Maniple
Centurions lead Centuries, or Lance Commanders of five (5)
Legionaries lead the rest, their Lieutenants
Miles Gregarius basically are just Squad Commanders or Sergeants
Miles Probatus are another name for Corporals with some command
Miles are just lowly Privates

TT
« Last Edit: 26 August 2018, 16:14:45 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

AJCHVY

• Recruit
« Reply #19 on: 26 August 2018, 16:39:32 »
Ok yeah I was familiar with all of that. I'm more curious the actual breakdown. I'd imagine mechwarriors are higher rank than a miles as they wouldnt give some new recruit a battlemech.

I basically wanted to know if Prefects, Legatus, and Principes were attached to Centuries as normal or were outside of the units. Also would they be mechwarriors or just battlefield commanders?

In the case of them being mechwarriors would it be:

1st cohort 1st maniple 1st century
Prefect
4x mechwarriors
2nd century
Centurion
4x mechwarriors

2nd maniple 1st century
Principes
4x mechwarriors
2nd century
Centurion
4x mechwarriors

3rd maniple 1st century
Principes
4x mechwarriors
2nd century
Centurion
4x mechwarriors

and then for the 2nd cohort instead of a Prefect leading the cohort it would be a Legatus
« Last Edit: 26 August 2018, 16:41:39 by AJCHVY »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 26 August 2018, 18:16:51 »
No...

Perfect IS the Legions Commander, like a Regimental Lt. Col or higher.

Then 1st Cohort CO, or Legatus, followed by 1st Cohort's Principes's that are the CO's for the 1st and 2nd Maniple then followed by 1st Century's Centurion who then commands four other Legionaires of the Maniple.

They all are mechwarriors, or tankers or even Infantry.

In other words, Perfect = Legio, Legatus = Cohort, Principes = Maniple, Century = Centurion and then Legionaires = lieutenant and Miles - Miles Gregaruis = NCO.

Kinda both battlefield commanders but with responsibilities.

1st Cohort 1st Maniple 1st Century
Prefect mw
Principes mw
Centurion mw
2x Legionarie mw

2nd Century
Centurion mw
4x Legionaire mw

2nd Maniple 1st Century
Principes mw
Centurion mw
3x Legionaire mw

2nd century
Centurion mw
4x Legionaire

3rd Maniple 1st Century
Principes tanker
Centurion tanker
3x Legionaire tanker

2nd Century
Centurion infantry 1st Squad commander
  1x Legionaire infantry 2nd in command 1st Squad
    10x Miles Gregraius 3rd in command 1st Squad, commands 2nd -10th Squad ( Sargent )
      10x Miles Probatus 4th in command 1st Squad, 2nd in command 2nd-10th Squad ( Corporal )
        78x Miles or standard Troopers ( Private )

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #21 on: 26 August 2018, 18:17:47 »
If we guide by the Field Manuals TO&E, The Legion is guided by a Prefect, with each Cohors guided by a Legatus. I can see in the case that the Prefect wants to go into battle to have an independant century, or take the lead on one of the Cohors centuries at take a Legatus or Centurion as his century second in command.

AJCHVY

• Recruit
« Reply #22 on: 26 August 2018, 18:36:34 »
Thanks for the clarification

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 26 August 2018, 18:46:32 »
No problem... as a fellow Marian I've always enjoyed the complexity that is us!

But it does get complicated if you don't have a plan or written down in an orderly fashion.

I love mixing my Cohorts up in m personal Legio!

I have 15 Mech, 15 Light Vees, 10 Heavy Vees, a complete Maniple of Infantry and another one of Battle Armor with an Ala or wing of Aero (10)!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

AJCHVY

• Recruit
« Reply #24 on: 26 August 2018, 23:09:54 »
So going over it in my head over the course of the day it doesn't make sense to me that the 1st Cohort 1st Maniple 1st Century would comprise these mechwarriors.

Prefect mw
Principes mw
Centurion mw
2x Legionarie mw

It says that a Prefect is essentially a general and that they tend to spend most of their time on Alphard. So I feel that the highest ranking officer that sees combat in a mech is a Legatus. If a Prefect is ever at a battlefield it would almost assuredly be in a non-combat role, although again battletech so they probably have mechs for rare situations.

If Inner Sphere unit organization is anything to go by (I know Marian units are weird) a Captain or maybe a Major is the highest battlefield commander who sees battle. They tend to lead 11 other mechs with Lieutenants leading the other 2 lances/squads of battlemechs.

I think it would be:

Legatus mw
Centurion mw
3 Legionaire mw

You wouldn't need a Principes for the 1st maniple of a legio as the Legatus would command this unit personally and the Centurion would be his 2nd in command. Principes only lead Maniples and you don't need one for the first but would have them for the other 2 maniples in a cohort.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #25 on: 27 August 2018, 07:38:49 »
It says that a Prefect is essentially a general and that they tend to spend most of their time on Alphard. So I feel that the highest ranking officer that sees combat in a mech is a Legatus. If a Prefect is ever at a battlefield it would almost assuredly be in a non-combat role, although again battletech so they probably have mechs for rare situations.

Actually, a Prefect is a Prefect, they command the Legion, and usually stay with the Legion. The ones who stay in Alphard are the Generals (at least 4 of them) and also are military governors for the Illyrian and Lotharian military districts (the last 2 of them, at least until Lothario got independant again). Check Field Manual: Periphery (FP 10982), pag. 73.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 27 August 2018, 18:55:00 »
Technically your both are correct.

A Prefect wouldn't necessary be on the front line, but exceptions are made.

They'll most likely be in a command role:

Prefect mw
Principes mw
Centurion mw
2x Legionnaire mw

That's their Command Century, with another Century as support / bodyguard. But then Generals / Prefects don't really go out of their way without a fully prepared armed escort Cohort in tow, preferable with full commands and possible Naval support as well.

And your:

Legatus mw
Centurion mw
3 Legionnaire mw

Is also correct, except a Legatus is a Major, a Principes is a Captain and a Centurion is a Lieutenant in that order.

Follow this short story:

Legatus John had a cohort to run, John's Cohort. In it he had command over 3 Principes, A, B and C. Each " Captain " commanded a pair Centurions, who were either MechWarrior or Tankers. Except Principes C, who commanded Infantry. In his formation he commanded 2 Centurions who in turn commanded a Legionnaire who also resided over several Miles Gregraius, " Sergeants " who then command several Miles Probatus, " Corporals " who then command the rest of the troopers made up of Miles, " Privates ". Also as a side note, Principes A's and B's Centurions would have command over Legionnaires, again, MechWarrior or Tanker.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Register