Author Topic: Let's talk about: TRO Golden Century  (Read 24907 times)

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
Let's talk about: TRO Golden Century
« on: 02 August 2020, 04:28:05 »
I feel like the RecGuides get all the attention right now (which is awesome, they are great). But I'm actually interested in people's thoughts on TRO Golden Century. What does everyone think? What are your favorite units/writeups, what are your least favorite?
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Re: Let's talk about: TRO Golden Century
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2020, 04:38:21 »
Best in Show? The Masauwu, because I love the War Dog so a Clan version is just peaches to me. I'm also super into every piece of new art. Oh, and the Sun Bear B manages to be a Timber Wolf Prime with twenty fewer tons, which is pretty impressive, IMHO.

Weakest Link? The Drift Shag. It's actually a great 'Mech, but it has been saddled with what I think might be the most risible name in the history of the franchise. I assume Slide Bang was already taken?

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2020, 04:45:41 »
Weakest Link? The Drift Shag. It's actually a great 'Mech, but it has been saddled with what I think might be the most risible name in the history of the franchise. I assume Slide Bang was already taken?

I have no idea how that name came to pass. But yeah, it is gigglesome ;)

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2020, 04:57:49 »
Blame the Brits. "Like a shag on a rock" refers to a seabird, despite what generations of dirty minds think.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2020, 05:22:37 »
I’m rather fond of the Fox, and as I said before, I’m really digging the Molniya (though I would have tweaked it a bit).

As to the Drift Shag...yeah, not fond of the name, but I really want to like the ‘Mech, but that last jump jet not being there hurts it IMO.

Kinda like the Pella, especially how it almost looks like it should be able to land and take off from the water.

The Issedone and Ogotai are great for early OmniFighters, and I really want to like the latter, but the single heat sinks matched to high heat weapons make it understandable why these were discontinued.

And I’ve always loved the Gotha, so loving the Omni version of it, the Goth is only natural.

The Qasar is ok, but I’ve loved the Chippewa IIC since I first saw it in ERGC.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2020, 06:20:49 »
What are people's thoughts on the Minsk 2 (or the Slowerki, as I've taken to calling it)?
The tonnage spent on coolant pods could have been spent on heatsinks for a superior Mech. But the hotter Mech is far more interesting to play.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2020, 08:32:33 »
The book is good overall, the writing was great.    The new art done by David White was outstanding.

I'm grateful some new WarShips were added and highlighted.  It shame most didn't survive the Golden Century. Sadly, nature of the game makes them go bye bye.

I'm bit surprised there wasn't any dropships in the book.  I think from what i saw there was....like 2 units that didn't make it into the book, the Wakazashi from Era Digest Golden Century (and the Quick Silver Mongoose does have a record sheet) & the Mercury II and the Stag.  I guess they were left out because other sources would been lacking unique stuff?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2020, 10:02:06 »
Why wasn't the Wakazashi included in it?

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2020, 11:21:48 »
Why wasn't the Wakazashi included in it?

I could ask the same about the Mercury II and Stag

The Rhino Battle armor is a great example of putting the wrong priorities into a project. The Water Elemental needs a better name

I am in serious romantic love with the Fox(Being a smaller Crusader and all) and Vision quest mechs as well as the Rhino EC with it’s bulldozer blade.  The minsk may well be my mech of choice for all future Masters and Minions games.

The three Warships are true things of beauty.  If I coukd convince TPTB that naval warfare is fine so long as warships never exceeded 500,000. Tons “out of economic concerns” these would be workhorses
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2020, 11:26:13 »
The Rhino Battle armor is a great example of putting the wrong priorities into a project.

Why?

The Water Elemental needs a better name

I'm pretty sure it's the name it always had. Also, Water Elementals are a well known mythologic figure. Just like Stone Elemental or Fire Elemental

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #10 on: 02 August 2020, 11:45:06 »
Why?

Much more ammo for the SRM 2 then the suit could reasonably use In a Battlefield lifespan rather then emphasis on squeaking out as much mobility as possible.

The Gome showed what happens when you develop an idea fully
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #11 on: 02 August 2020, 11:46:45 »
We got to see the water elemental so I'm stoaked. As a big battle armor fan it's nice to see the progression and finally have stats on the suit they're all based off of.
 The minsk!!! I agree with jellico but it's a beautiful mech and I can't wait to play with it.
 Already a big fan of the stooping hawk so I was happy to finally see the mech we started designing that it was based on. The back story of the 5 mechs was nice and fluffy and gives players a good hook.
 Warships!!! Aerospace!!! A smaller nightlord!!! I drool thinking of it rolling around with it.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 02 August 2020, 11:51:55 »
I'm ecstatic about new battle armor! But at the same time i'm disappointed it got only two BA. To be sure, the first one is important and i really like we finally see the Elemental's predecessor, and the Rhino has been mentioned by name, so it was a good choice. But judging by IO dates, the Clans also developed light and assault-class battle armor during the Golden Century, even though the projects were apparently abandoned. Would've loved to see those things.
But better some than none!

Mildly disappointed about the limited amount of new art. I get it is expensive, and that the original art is appropriate in many cases because the units are little more than Clan versions of earlier designs. Unfortunately many Star League designs are hideous, never gonna field Spartan C or Lynx C, just like i won't field their IS-tech predecessors.
On the positive note, pretty much all new art is great looking.

The Peregrine looks great. Not very BattleTech-y, i have very strong preference for TRO 2750-styled WarShips, but this one looks better than most in "hey, box shapes are inefficient but simpler, let's do that" way. Really like the the hangar, looks like a space carrier!
No comment on stats, i don't actually play aerospace side of BT at all.

The Vision Quest is probably my favorite of the new 'Mechs. But i am a Nova Cat...

I don't really like resurrecting many of these long-dead designs for the Dark Age. I suppose the Sea Foxes do have capacity to produce some of these, but i can't help but wonder why not just use the ferro-fibrous and endo-steel and whatever else for existing, more modern designs? And it is even worse for something like the Wolf Empire. Putting the Woodsman into production, rather than using the resources to use local Inner Sphere designs or upgrading those?
Speaking of the Woodsman, really would've liked to see the Naga test-bed configuration/variant.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #13 on: 02 August 2020, 11:58:54 »
Much more ammo for the SRM 2 then the suit could reasonably use In a Battlefield lifespan rather then emphasis on squeaking out as much mobility as possible.

The Gome showed what happens when you develop an idea fully

The Gnome took what they had with the Rhino and then build on it. So, yes.
I still like how the old Clan BAs failed and that you can see exactly, why they did. Personally, I think the Gnome could use a third reload and I love the IS Grenadier BAS for their huge amount of reloads. But they are also faster than the Rhino and I would never use them for offensive work. They are protection for my LRM launchers and other fixed positions ;) The Rhino fails in all of that, but the huge number of reloads allowed for fluff shenanigans ;)

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #14 on: 02 August 2020, 12:02:55 »
I'm ecstatic about new battle armor! But at the same time i'm disappointed it got only two BA. To be sure, the first one is important and i really like we finally see the Elemental's predecessor, and the Rhino has been mentioned by name, so it was a good choice. But judging by IO dates, the Clans also developed light and assault-class battle armor during the Golden Century, even though the projects were apparently abandoned. Would've loved to see those things.
But better some than none!

There is only so much budget you can throw at a product. The Rhino could reuse the Gnome art, because the fluff for the Gnome said it was based on the old BA. Everything else from the theoretical BA spectrum would have required new art. And aside from art, writers need to get paid, too (would have loved to write more than one BA entry, but I understand why I didn't get to write more of them).
So, as it stands, we get the two BAs that had been mentioned by name.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 02 August 2020, 12:05:40 »
I dig it.  There's some hidden gems in here: the aforementioned Sun Bear B, the drift shag, the lancelot c, lynx and kokuro tank are ones i really want to try out.

I think it's getting overshadowed by the IlClan books because those designs have just been so stunningly AMAZING.  Like, every other Mech is OP to the MAX.

The writing is top notch in book this and IlClan; but I will admit this has more of a "classic" TRO vibe while the IlClan's are quicker, bite-sized pieces of the universe?  It's hard to describe, but because the GC is in the past, the write-ups have centuries to weave in the individual mechs stories while the IC is "right now."

Neither is bad, and it gives each their own feel and vibe.  So, I dig THAT, too.  very glad to finally see this come out!

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
« Reply #16 on: 02 August 2020, 12:06:51 »
Let me start by admitting I have eagerly awaited this book for, what, a decade since it was announced. The book was worth the wait.

I think the new art is very good, and the writing was pretty good, too. I especially like the early OminFighters and WarShips, the WarShip fluff gives very plausible manners in which Clans like the Snow Raven and Jade Falcons conducted Naval operations. Rhino battle armor was great to see, too.

No big surprises among the ‘Mechs. My favorite was probably the Storm Giant, a fast, cool-running Assault makes sense in the Viper backstory. Or the Pulverizer, I liked that one, too. I liked the attention paid to Clan Fire Mandrill, their fractious nature forcing some Kindrasc/Kindraa to primarily refit Star League designs like the Lancelot and Spartan.

Since this was a era-themed TRO, I was mildly surprised there were no entries for BattleMechs like the Thresher and Crossbow (3058) or the Griffin IIC and Rifleman IIC (3055). With designs seen in TRO:3055 (FASA) getting facelifts, I thought this book was going to be an opportunity to include some great new artwork. I guess those guys may be coming with the ilClan recognition guides.

Overall, I liked TRO:GC, it answered some of the questions I had in fleshing out this period. I still feel there is a little more to see. And maybe with a few more additions, the pre-Invasion Clans don’t have to be 200+ years of footnotes to 3050/3150 and barely changing brushwars.

S.gage
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Until the next Clan Invasion or Jihad, Clan Schrödinger's Cat is and is not Annihilated. :)
Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Novel Clan Golden Century BattleMechs, Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, 1st & 2nd Generation Clan OmniMechs.

mrbooth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 02 August 2020, 12:07:18 »
Bring the Pulverizer into 3145 era and with a sweet new full clan tech upgrade sold me.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 02 August 2020, 12:07:35 »
There is only so much budget you can throw at a product. The Rhino could reuse the Gnome art, because the fluff for the Gnome said it was based on the old BA. Everything else from the theoretical BA spectrum would have required new art. And aside from art, writers need to get paid, too (would have loved to write more than one BA entry, but I understand why I didn't get to write more of them).
So, as it stands, we get the two BAs that had been mentioned by name.
Yeah, i understand that. The ones we got are good choices. But i adore BA and always wish for more.

Also, addendum to my earlier, the Minsk getting put back into production works. Since it seems to be based on the Warhammer, and the new versions are directly built from refurbished Warhammers. And the Minsk 2 is actually pretty damn interesting. Capacitor'd Clan PPCs, oh yeah. A pity it is a Clan Ghost Bear design...

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 02 August 2020, 12:13:22 »
Already a big fan of the stooping hawk so I was happy to finally see the mech we started designing that it was based on. The back story of the 5 mechs was nice and fluffy and gives players a good hook.

Almost like that was intentional... nahhh... ;-) ha ha ha

(The insider baseball story: sometimes in my entries, I deliberately leave vague areas for other writers to fill in (or not) down the road.  Most of my stories come from a throwaway-line in a sourcebook somewhere, so I try to pay it forward.  Glad you noticed!  :)

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
« Reply #20 on: 02 August 2020, 12:19:43 »

Overall, I liked TRO:GC, it answered some of the questions I had in fleshing out this period. I still feel there is a little more to see. And maybe with a few more additions, the pre-Invasion Clans don’t have to be 200+ years of footnotes to 3050/3150 and barely changing brushwars.

S.gage

Of topic for a second, I feel the same way about the Third Succession War, the Star League, and the Age of War. I love how BattleTech was opening up additional eras, so playing the America Amaris Crisis (darned autocorrect!) or the First Succession War is great!
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Until the next Clan Invasion or Jihad, Clan Schrödinger's Cat is and is not Annihilated. :)
Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Novel Clan Golden Century BattleMechs, Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, 1st & 2nd Generation Clan OmniMechs.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #21 on: 02 August 2020, 12:28:13 »
The number one cause of death for pilots seems to be irony, defended a genetic legacy a bunch of times? Poops when you trial for one.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #22 on: 02 August 2020, 12:38:44 »
I could ask the same about the Mercury II and Stag

They didnt really need redesigns are just never received one is my guess.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #23 on: 02 August 2020, 13:10:19 »
I believe the most important thing in the book was the Potato War.

Really want to see a full scenario treatment for that.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 02 August 2020, 13:14:16 »
Golden Century is my Century.  Thanks!

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #25 on: 02 August 2020, 13:17:43 »
Overall I liked it but TRO GC left me wanting more. I was really looking for early OmniMechs eluded to in fluff (Coyote designs in particular that followed the Coyotl) which predated other Invasion era designs (like the Dire Wolf and Warhawk for example introduced in the 3000s).

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 02 August 2020, 13:23:56 »
(Coyote designs in particular that followed the Coyotl)
As far as we know, they basically made the Coyotl and followed it with the Lupus... and stopped there. I figure that challenges for the tech and their waning fortunes afterwards caused them to only adopt other chassis (like the Hellbringer) rather than making their own until the Savage Coyote.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #27 on: 02 August 2020, 13:35:39 »
I absolutely love the Lynx C and Minsk 2, as well as WarShips that you can actually throw into a small-ish aero game. And also COMPLETELY ECSTATIC that the devs are putting tanks in TROs again! TROs SW, CI, and Jihad were really starting to scare me.

My one sadness? I was really hoping to see the submarine APCs the Scorpions are supposed to have, that paired with the Undine. Oh well, maybe we'll get them in Hanseatic Crusade.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 02 August 2020, 13:52:38 »
I don't know who or what they named the Minsk for, but I keep hearing "Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!  THRUUUUST!"

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #29 on: 02 August 2020, 13:54:10 »
As far as we know, they basically made the Coyotl and followed it with the Lupus... and stopped there. I figure that challenges for the tech and their waning fortunes afterwards caused them to only adopt other chassis (like the Hellbringer) rather than making their own until the Savage Coyote.

There is actual canon citations indicating the existence of Early OmniMechs which are better spelled out in these threads.

Early OmniMechs
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57487.0

First Generation OmniMechs 2855-2872 from S.gage Golden Century Campaign
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=69872.0

Not the end of the world by any means, perhaps there is room for TRO GC 2?! ;)