Author Topic: Conventional fighters (VSTOL) and VTOLS: deployment from dropships?  (Read 1344 times)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Hello there,

I don't know if this is the apprpriate forum, but this has been bugging me.

Can conventional fighters (with vstol capabilities like ASF) and VTOLs deploy from a dropship that is in the atmosphere? Say, a pair of Defenders and a flight of Martens deploying from a leopard CV that enters atmo.

Thanks
Xavi

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
I don't see why not.
I also don't see why the dropship would carry one, but they seem to follow broadly similar rules.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
For troop insertion in a combat drop, for example. A karnov with 2 platoons of regular infantry or a jump infantry platoon. or because the mercenary unit does not have ASF but can have a pair of mechbusters.  :) Or that is the idea.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
If you have a door from which the vehicle would launch from its bay (Light or Heavy, a VTOL could use either one) then you can launch the VTOL. The question is what Planet factors effect launch (Pressure, Weather, Gravity)? Do you have to make a roll (say, to avoid damaging the door during launch)?

the printed sheet usually says the number of launches per round you can make in a turn...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
I think if you're stationary, you can launch anything. Whether it can fly is a different matter.  ::)
Non-VTOL conventional fighters would be difficult.
However, I would assume you'd be able to launch them from a flying aerodyne.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Charistoph

• Major
As is always the joke: you can always deploy something from a dropship in atmosphere once.

I remember reading Victor Davion and Galen Cox doing something like that on their return from their last mission against the Clans so Victor could meet with his father as soon as possible.

The success at the maneuver was later dampened when they later found Victor's father, Hanse, listening to Sun-Tzu Liao's engagement announcement.

Rules-wise, though, I have no idea, but I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to other than "because we don't have rules for it".
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
I believe the rules you're looking for are on StratOps page 22, and TW pages 86 and 225.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
I am not looking for rules, just if it is feasible in universe :) Regarding games, I only use alpha strike, so the other rulebooks are not in my posession :) I tend to play narrative RPG-battle games in my groups, and this was something we have been discussing in universe. In fact we have +already* done that, deploying mechbusters from dropships in atmo, but we were unsure about infantry transports and VTOLs, or if the mechbuster thing was kosher.

Xavi

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Being that rules exist for it, your answer is "yes".  You might want to check them out though, as your DropShip needs to be moving rather slowly to avoid damaging the aircraft it's launching.