Author Topic: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)  (Read 198441 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)
« Reply #1050 on: 19 June 2019, 00:17:32 »
Why not a Triple of Ursus-PR?

That's 3 50 ton mechs...

TT

I know I'm a mean-y ol' Horseman... but what's evil for me can be evil for you, noh?  >:D
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #1051 on: 19 June 2019, 02:34:07 »
If you're only limited by tonnage and not bv, take a executioner F. Proceed to be a mobile sniper and swim in tears.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #1052 on: 19 June 2019, 04:15:27 »

I’d second the Executioner F.

One design I have not mentioned is the Marauder IIC 7.  Bear exclusive, hard-hitting and accurate weapons mix at long-range, and jump jets.  If the terrain is fairly open, it can really contribute on a small mapboard like that.  Similar role to the Nova Cats you’re looking at, albeit 15 tons heavier.

Nothing wrong with the C3 on the Ursus PR, but fluff-wise, it’s intended for dezgra rebels, not honorable trials against other Clans.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1053 on: 19 June 2019, 08:57:49 »
Was definitely looking at the Executioner F. The Marauder IIC I don't have any Marauder minis and don't necessarily like proxies but I see your point about it.

On force composition I was just theorycrafting last night and realized I could get two full Nova Stars of light and medium Mechs onto the field for pure chaos. The idea was hilarious until o realized the opponents Savage Coyote and Thunder Stallion probably could eliminate one per turn.

On other theorycrafting I could bring a Dire Wolf, Kodiak, Berserker, Warhawk, and Mad Dog and sit back and annihilate anything that came near. Of course I have turtled in the past in other games (and could claim my Bears are just hibernating) but it seemed kinda cheesy.

So think I'm just gonna mod my original force with some heavier anchors.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #1054 on: 19 June 2019, 10:23:00 »
Was definitely looking at the Executioner F. The Marauder IIC I don't have any Marauder minis and don't necessarily like proxies but I see your point about it.

On force composition I was just theorycrafting last night and realized I could get two full Nova Stars of light and medium Mechs onto the field for pure chaos. The idea was hilarious until o realized the opponents Savage Coyote and Thunder Stallion probably could eliminate one per turn.

On other theorycrafting I could bring a Dire Wolf, Kodiak, Berserker, Warhawk, and Mad Dog and sit back and annihilate anything that came near. Of course I have turtled in the past in other games (and could claim my Bears are just hibernating) but it seemed kinda cheesy.

Don't forget the bears are known for waiting till they have a opening then rushing in, totally within character.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #1055 on: 19 June 2019, 15:33:42 »
Are we talking Binary or Star? 450/5=90. /10=45.

Vikings, Marauder IICs, Executioner, dance around 90. Kodiaks wreck your budget.

Looking at smalet options. Karhu was designed with a secondary aim of tonnage games.
Shadowhawk IC 2 is classic Bear fire support.
Can't go wrong with a Horned Owl.
Vipers give a very effective fast lift wing. Combine with Firemoths. 140 to 160 tons. Leaves 300 tons for the big guys.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1056 on: 19 June 2019, 17:10:21 »
Hmmm. A Kingfisher is hard to modernize. It is using Endo and Ferro already. The std engine is iconic and you have to go 4/6 because 90 tons is a break point. You can't just slap XL gyros and small cockpits on everything and anything else new cuts into pod tonnage.

Reinforced Structure.  Eat the reduction in pod space, you get a significant boost in durability that isn't otherwise possible.  The -2 to crit rolls makes it a truly monstrous zombie to take down.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1057 on: 19 June 2019, 18:48:13 »
Are we talking Binary or Star? 450/5=90. /10=45.

Vikings, Marauder IICs, Executioner, dance around 90. Kodiaks wreck your budget.

Looking at smalet options. Karhu was designed with a secondary aim of tonnage games.
Shadowhawk IC 2 is classic Bear fire support.
Can't go wrong with a Horned Owl.
Vipers give a very effective fast lift wing. Combine with Firemoths. 140 to 160 tons. Leaves 300 tons for the big guys.

Basically whatever I want to bring within the tonnage limit: although since is a table game I'm limiting myself to units I own and MAYBE one proxied unit (again I dislike them).

I have talked with my opponent and after a couple more games we will be switching to BV

Edited: I just realized I have a Rifleman mini.... and by that I mean a Rifleman IIC I can bring :)

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1058 on: 19 June 2019, 21:06:21 »
In that case get as much BV per ton as you can before BV limits force assaults from your table.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #1059 on: 19 June 2019, 21:42:12 »

My take using your minis from upthread:

Battle Star Detachment
Timber Wolf A
Timber Wolf A
Timber Wolf A

Nova Battle
Stormcrow A
     Elemental Point (APGR)
Nova S
     Elemental Point (APGR)
Nova S
     Elemental Point (APGR)
Viper I
     Elemental Point (APGR)
Viper I
     Elemental Point (APGR)

Totals 460 tons.  If your opponent is a stickler, drop a T-Wolf for an M-Dog Prime.

In short, you have a cavalry trio of long-range hole-punchers/headcappers supporting a jumpy/mobile, yet highly survivable nova with accurate, close-range critting loadouts.

These eight Omnimechs can throw three to six ER PPCs, 16 to 25 pulse medium lasers, 12 to 30 Streak SRMs, and six heavy medium lasers (with targeting computer compensation) downrange each turn heat-constrained.  All while moving 5/8/0 to 8/12/8, with half the force jump capable and with no light mech fragility.  (And that doesn’t include the Elementals, 20 LRMs, six ATMs, MGs, and other odds and ends that come with this force.)

This is the kind of force that should easily outmaneuver and inflict higher TMMs on lumbering 3/5 and 4/6 designs like the T-Stallion, S-Yote, and G-Spider, while also overwhelming those designs with combined fire.  Use the jump mobility and pulse lasers of the Novas to hit the T-Stallion on an exposed side where it cannot fire back.  Use the T-Wolves’ speed to back up as fast as the S-Yote can advance its ATMs until those peepers open some holes in, or better yet, decapitate the Yote.  Use the extreme mobility and heavy lasers of the Vipers to get under the G-Spider’s minimums. 

Tie down his more valuable units with Elemental anti-mech attacks.  Leg attacks against bipedal mechs like the G-Spider, and swarm attacks against quads like the T-Stallion.  Consider infernos on the Elementals to cripple the Centaurs and constrain the firepower of the S-Yote and T-Stallion.

The Corvis is almost an afterthought.

With a bigger mapboard, you have more room to isolate and pounce on unsupported units.  This kind of force gives you mobility, firepower, and survivability to do that repeatedly.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 19 June 2019, 22:19:55 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1060 on: 19 June 2019, 21:49:22 »
Nothing wrong with the C3 on the Ursus PR, but fluff-wise, it’s intended for dezgra rebels, not honorable trials against other Clans.

Then Ursus-3's instead... Nova CEWS and all...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #1061 on: 19 June 2019, 22:10:04 »
Then Ursus-3's instead... Nova CEWS and all...

TT

I think you mean Watchdog CEWS.  The Ursus 3 is not a Society or Society-derived toy with a Nova CEWS, AFAIK.

And without C3 or Nova CEWS networked targeting feed advantage, the ProtoMech ACs of those designs are underpowered and underranged for their weight against regular Clan opponents, although specialty ammo can partially make up for that.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #1062 on: 19 June 2019, 22:26:04 »
I think you mean Watchdog CEWS.  The Ursus 3 is not a Society or Society-derived toy with a Nova CEWS, AFAIK.

And without C3 or Nova CEWS networked targeting feed advantage, the ProtoMech ACs of those designs are underpowered and underranged for their weight against regular Clan opponents, although specialty ammo can partially make up for that.

Plus the gluttony of ecm, watchdog is only really helpful if you're playing with double blind, otherwise it's better to just take ecm.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1063 on: 19 June 2019, 23:30:41 »
It carries 3 APG's each + 2 PAC-8s, all at 9+ hexes... ECM hides them in a bubble, use terrain...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1064 on: 20 June 2019, 19:31:55 »
Reinforced Structure.  Eat the reduction in pod space, you get a significant boost in durability that isn't otherwise possible.  The -2 to crit rolls makes it a truly monstrous zombie to take down.

Waaah? Structure weight goes from 4.5 tons to 18 tons. That is literally half your pod space.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1065 on: 20 June 2019, 19:57:54 »
Waaah? Structure weight goes from 4.5 tons to 18 tons. That is literally half your pod space.

I didn't realize that a 90 ton Clan 'Mech only had ~25 tons of pod space.  You can recoup some of that with an XL Gyro, since the -2 to crit chances absolutely recoups the durability issue from the increased crit spaces.  Un-fix the seven extra DHSs and you can stay at ~20 tons pod space.  Small Cockpit is a possibility at that point.

To be perfectly honest with Reinforced I wouldn't bat an eye at taking a unit with a Clan XL, either.  That right there is 16.5 tons; or you can take 20 tons of pod space and cram it full of weapons with a high damage/tonnage ratio.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #1066 on: 20 June 2019, 20:34:51 »
Ick small cockpit.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #1067 on: 23 June 2019, 18:19:48 »
Took a karhu G out for a walk on my birthday today. Ended up taking out 150 tons worth of mechs. A battlemaster and a Thunderbolt.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1068 on: 24 June 2019, 05:35:39 »
Ahh. The Karhu G. Also known as, "gee, the Executioner I worked out insanely better than I expected. I wonder if I can apply the same principles to another Bear Mech." Good to know that it works.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #1069 on: 24 June 2019, 19:27:46 »
The combination of super charger and jump jets hives it some insane mobility. I love taking it on canyon maps.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #1070 on: 20 July 2019, 17:27:58 »
So trothkin, I'm curious how many of us have pledged for the kickstarter and what units you're getting and what you plan to do with said units. I'm having to stop myself from making zeta galaxy! (Is 25% serious)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1071 on: 20 July 2019, 17:59:51 »
Well since I don’t have money: nothing currently. As much as I want to buy a Galaxy as well I’ll most likely settle for a Trinary or Star. Although if they released them like the Lance Packs I might consider buying more as time went on rather than up front.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #1072 on: 20 July 2019, 18:35:19 »
Well since I don’t have money: nothing currently. As much as I want to buy a Galaxy as well I’ll most likely settle for a Trinary or Star. Although if they released them like the Lance Packs I might consider buying more as time went on rather than up front.
They'll be hitting the stores eventually, so you have time ^_^.

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1073 on: 20 July 2019, 22:18:53 »
So trothkin, I'm curious how many of us have pledged for the kickstarter and what units you're getting and what you plan to do with said units. I'm having to stop myself from making zeta galaxy! (Is 25% serious)

I've thrown in at the Star Colonel level and I'm definitely aiming for the Command Star, Heavy Striker, Fire Star for the Clan packs I'm choosing as rewards. I'm also heavily contemplating adding on the Heavy Battle Star.

I've only recently decided on Clan Ghost Bear, but, I'm thinking of representing either Beta or Rho Galaxy.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1074 on: 21 July 2019, 18:39:25 »
Greetings, all of you nice Ghost Bear people.

After years and years of being poor and unable to play, I've finally gotten to the point where I can start getting fully back into Battletech and buy minis for the various units I want to create.

I've always loved the Ghost Bears (and the Blood Spirits but that is for a different day and thread). With the Kickstarter, I'll be able to pick up a lot of new minis, and I'm excited about it.

One of my plans is to create a GB trinary based on the minis I'll be able to get from the Kickstarter. I have two of the stars planned out already.

Alpha Star: 2 Executioners, 2 Mad Dogs, Timber Wolf
Bravo Star:--???
Charlie Star: 2 Vipers, 2 Fire Moths, 1 Mist Lynx

I also have 2 Elemental Stars and plan to use at least one of them for the trinary. A few trinaries during Operation Revival did use a single elemental star in addition to the three stars of OmniMechs. That is the era I'm using for the trinary, post-Tukayyid and pre-Refusal War. The one unit I was thinking of using was the 3rd Bear Guards of Alpha Galaxy as they had 2 of these types of trinaries in the cluster.

Now, it does depend on what I get in the few salvage packs I'll be receiving, but Bravo Star is giving me a bit of trouble. The Ghost Bears were rebuilding after Tukayyid, so I feel I can include a decent mix of OmniMechs. I can include a Kingfisher and a Nova. The rest I am unsure about. A Stormcrow, I suppose as the Bears did use them.
Of course my dream Supernova is 15 Fire Moths with the Benny Hill music playing in the background, but that's not exactly feasible for the foreseeable future.

"The Ghost Bears are one big, happy family. I am the crazy, fun loving aunt." - Star Captain Peri Rand.
"You can't write history without including mankind's incessant need to kill one another." - Dr. Jessica Kimball (Hopefully soon to be my canon character)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1075 on: 21 July 2019, 19:58:51 »
I feel trothkin I've has this exact same conversation in the past week... Bear in mind in tonnage based games a Supernova Trinary of Fire Moths and Elementals works out to only 375 tons ;)

That being said Natasha gave me some good advice as did the others: a Stormcrow, Mad Dog, and Nova are always good Mechs. If you wanted a Heavier Star the Executioner and Kingfisher work well.

I also approve of the Third Bear Guards: I myself affiliate with the First Bear Guards so welcome to Alpha Galaxy trothkin!

Also an FYI I don’t know if it’s in the Kickstarter but the Stooping Hawk is a decent medium Omni and is both on the Ghost Bear and Blood Spirit tables for availability.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #1076 on: 21 July 2019, 20:04:36 »

Alpha Star: 2 Executioners, 2 Mad Dogs, Timber Wolf
Bravo Star:--???
Charlie Star: 2 Vipers, 2 Fire Moths, 1 Mist Lynx

I also have 2 Elemental Stars and plan to use at least one of them for the trinary. A few trinaries during Operation Revival did use a single elemental star in addition to the three stars of OmniMechs. That is the era I'm using for the trinary, post-Tukayyid and pre-Refusal War. The one unit I was thinking of using was the 3rd Bear Guards of Alpha Galaxy as they had 2 of these types of trinaries in the cluster.

Now, it does depend on what I get in the few salvage packs I'll be receiving, but Bravo Star is giving me a bit of trouble. The Ghost Bears were rebuilding after Tukayyid, so I feel I can include a decent mix of OmniMechs. I can include a Kingfisher and a Nova. The rest I am unsure about. A Stormcrow, I suppose as the Bears did use them.

Looking at the what’s available in the Clan Star packs from the Kickstarter, some slower Bear classics like the Kodak and Marauder IIC (Bears make the 4 and 7) are available to you to pair with your Kingfisher and Executioners.  Pairing your Elementals with your Fire Moths, it would look like this:

Assault Star
Kodiak
Marauder IIC 4 or 7
Kingfisher
Executioner
Executioner

Battle Star
Timber Wolf
Mad Dog
Mad Dog
Stormcrow
Nova

Striker Nova
Viper
Viper
Mist Lynx
Fire Moth
     Elemental Point
Fire Moth
     Elemental Point

If your two points have five Elemental figures each (10 total), you could put one Elemental per hex base to represent a point (instead of five Elementals per hex base to represent a point).  That would give you ten points of Elementals, enough to put a point on each omnimech in the Battle and Striker Stars, making each a full Nova.  Doesn’t look as cool on the table, but easier to paint/assemble and stretches your BT bucks.

You can also justify the occasional design from other Clans through isorla or trade like Shadow Cats, Summoners, Nova Cats, and Warhawks.  They’re also in the fundraiser.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2019, 20:08:49 by Natasha Kerensky »

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1077 on: 21 July 2019, 20:57:34 »
@Tyler and Natasha.

Thanks for the advice. It's much appreciated. I completely forgot about the Kodiak. There are times when I think Frontline Cluster = OmniMech, especially when it comes to the Invading Clans. A Warhawk is a definite possibility with the Smoke Jaguars as neighbors. If I get another Executioner out of the salvage pack, it's definitely going in. I'm an Executioner fan.

I had a hard time choosing the Galaxy and Cluster for my trinary. It all came down to the Star Captain character I developed for the unit and where she fought throughout Revival. 3rd Bear Guards just seemed to fit the best. I can post the bio of the character once I have her history fleshed out a bit more. Warning, she is a bit...different from your average Clan warrior. Not Mary Sue-like, just different :).
"The Ghost Bears are one big, happy family. I am the crazy, fun loving aunt." - Star Captain Peri Rand.
"You can't write history without including mankind's incessant need to kill one another." - Dr. Jessica Kimball (Hopefully soon to be my canon character)

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #1078 on: 21 July 2019, 22:02:07 »
I completely forgot about the Kodiak. There are times when I think Frontline Cluster = OmniMech, especially when it comes to the Invading Clans. A Warhawk is a definite possibility with the Smoke Jaguars as neighbors. If I get another Executioner out of the salvage pack, it's definitely going in. I'm an Executioner fan.

I just want to plug the Marauder IIC again.

The 7 moves 3/5/3, carries max armor, and can deal with anything at range thanks to a Gauss, HAG-30, and pulse large, all tied into a targeting computer.  Up close, dual Streak-4s and ER smalls crit and deal with infantry. 

The 4 is less versatile and accurate, but nothing says I hate you like twin HAG-40s.

It takes a while for the Clans to recover from Tukayyid, so it would not surprise to see some homegrown Bear Marauder IIC variants in their frontline clusters.

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1079 on: 22 July 2019, 09:15:00 »
One thing to note: Both the Marauder IIC 4 and 7 are Jihad-era designs.  If you're firm about the era ("post-Tukayyid and pre-Refusal War"), these would not be available.  The standard Marauder IIC is still a good choice, as would be the standard Warhammer IIC.

Register