Author Topic: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn  (Read 136814 times)

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
Re: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn
« Reply #1230 on: 29 February 2024, 22:31:39 »
We actually got a bit of that in "Tears of Blood", an old BattleCorps story by Randall Bills. I quite enjoyed it. Our first real experience with what it's like to be a ProtoMech pilot.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #1231 on: 29 February 2024, 23:30:56 »
We actually got a bit of that in "Tears of Blood", an old BattleCorps story by Randall Bills. I quite enjoyed it. Our first real experience with what it's like to be a ProtoMech pilot.

ooo, nice, is this story still available ?

So far the only other Protomech stories is the Hell's Horses one, and the Scorpion Empire one

Going forward into ilClan would be interesting to see perhaps a Snow Raven one

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #1232 on: 01 March 2024, 14:23:01 »
BTW it is interesting that the Spirits got help when the Protomech Pilot phenotype was created - by the Cloud Cobras. It was another joint venture.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #1233 on: 01 March 2024, 19:40:00 »
BTW it is interesting that the Spirits got help when the Protomech Pilot phenotype was created - by the Cloud Cobras. It was another joint venture.

Clan We hate everyone but sure let's work together-but just this once!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #1234 on: 05 March 2024, 15:29:47 »
after the trade of warships and mechs i'm surprised that there wasn't more activity between the clans

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #1235 on: 05 March 2024, 19:27:59 »
after the trade of warships and mechs i'm surprised that there wasn't more activity between the clans

The Blood Spirits did have contact with some. They enjoyed good relations with the Fire Mandrills and the Snow Ravens and had trade with the Diamond Sharks. But they took the infighting of the Clans personally.  They were great friends if you never betrayed them. The sad part is earning there trust wasn't easy and most Clans just didn't care about the Blood Spirits enough to try.

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #1236 on: 15 March 2024, 16:35:51 »
Did the Spirit's ever have a joint venture with the Hell Horse's to create vehicle /Mechs or even joint raids  with both clans love of vehiclesdespite the destruction of Symth -Jewel Kindraa

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1237 on: 15 March 2024, 16:41:26 »
Nope. The Spirits had no love for the Horses at all, specifically because of what happened with the Smythe-Jewels.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1238 on: 15 March 2024, 17:14:05 »
Nope. The Spirits had no love for the Horses at all, specifically because of what happened with the Smythe-Jewels.

They had it coming too.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #1239 on: 15 March 2024, 21:32:13 »
The Blood Spirits did have contact with some. They enjoyed good relations with the Fire Mandrills and the Snow Ravens and had trade with the Diamond Sharks. But they took the infighting of the Clans personally.  They were great friends if you never betrayed them. The sad part is earning there trust wasn't easy and most Clans just didn't care about the Blood Spirits enough to try.

Well said the spirits really were ride or die for their very few true friends

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #1240 on: 16 March 2024, 13:55:18 »
Well said the spirits really were ride or die for their very few true friends

I honestly had a theory that Nicky K originally planned to join the Spirits and have them act as his Clan but there lack of success in comparison to the Wolves had him join them instead. It's why they were named for a idea rather than a animal.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1241 on: 16 March 2024, 14:32:22 »
I honestly had a theory that Nicky K originally planned to join the Spirits and have them act as his Clan but there lack of success in comparison to the Wolves had him join them instead. It's why they were named for a idea rather than a animal.

I doubt that was the case, honestly. Nicholas married Jennifer (sister of the Wolf Khan) before he joined the Wolves, and between that and Andery being a part of the Wolves, it makes more sense that he'd join the Clan where his strongest personal ties were. Plus the Spirits were named for an idea because Colleen Schmitt championed that idea long before the Clans came to be, thanks to the influence of her grandmother. It was the driving force of her entire life.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1242 on: 18 March 2024, 05:56:00 »

I wouldn't say the Spirits had a lack of success. They managed to hold the task force for Arcadia together (as intended btw) and they also gave a good showing of their military skills (though often cleaning up the mess the Vipers got themselves into). Oddly enough the Spirits seemed to be quite cordial with the Adders at this point. But bad decisions (or rather bad mouthing) pushed them into isolation. Which is sad considering their first Khan was a descendent from the last Blackwatch leader

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #1243 on: 18 March 2024, 23:15:51 »
I wouldn't say the Spirits had a lack of success. They managed to hold the task force for Arcadia together (as intended btw) and they also gave a good showing of their military skills (though often cleaning up the mess the Vipers got themselves into). Oddly enough the Spirits seemed to be quite cordial with the Adders at this point. But bad decisions (or rather bad mouthing) pushed them into isolation. Which is sad considering their first Khan was a descendent from the last Blackwatch leader

It was the Burrocks who the blood feud began with. The Adders Absorption of them(And the ill-advised, rage fueled Blood Spirit interference with said Absorption) passed the feud to the Adders. I will always hold that this is where the Blood Spirits destroyed themselves.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #1244 on: 20 March 2024, 16:19:10 »
It was the Burrocks who the blood feud began with. The Adders Absorption of them(And the ill-advised, rage fueled Blood Spirit interference with said Absorption) passed the feud to the Adders. I will always hold that this is where the Blood Spirits destroyed themselves.

Oh God yes. Interfering in a Trial of Absorbtion was a huge mistake. Up till then the Adders didn't care about the Blood Spirits at all. But that old Rage just could not be contained.

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #1245 on: 20 March 2024, 18:06:17 »
Thinking on that, I feel as though the Spirits feared the Adders were going to come sooner or later. The Absorption War brought the Spirits front and center on the Adder dartboard, but if the near entirety of the Burrock Touman was Absorbed I'm not sure much would have changed in the preexisting Burrock-Spirit feud, just with the former-Burrocks having far stronger backing and support than they previously did. The Spirits, fierce Warriors but isolated politically and concentrated mainly on York, would have made a fine whetstone to sharpen the swollen Adder Touman and help integrate it. 

Damned-if-they-did, damned-if-they-didn't, I think.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1246 on: 20 March 2024, 18:10:23 »
Thinking on that, I feel as though the Spirits feared the Adders were going to come sooner or later. The Absorption War brought the Spirits front and center on the Adder dartboard, but if the near entirety of the Burrock Touman was Absorbed I'm not sure much would have changed in the preexisting Burrock-Spirit feud, just with the former-Burrocks having far stronger backing and support than they previously did. The Spirits, fierce Warriors but isolated politically and concentrated mainly on York, would have made a fine whetstone to sharpen the swollen Adder Touman and help integrate it. 

Damned-if-they-did, damned-if-they-didn't, I think.

I disagree, at least in part.

Without the Spirits' interference, the Burrock Absorption would've been much bloodier for the Burrocks and Adders alike, as the lion's share of the losses in that conflict were due to the Spirits jumping in (per the Adder entry FM:CC and WoK). Without them showing up, the Burrocks would've had no reason to team up with the Adders and would've been much more likely to fight for their right to exist.

I'm 50/50 at best on the Adders still going after the Spirits without the Spirits' interference in the Absorption. It's true that one of the reasons for the Adders going after them was to mollify the Burrocks in their ranks, but the primary reason they did so was to punish the Spirits for their interference (and to avenge their losses, which were considerable... remember, the Spirits took out three of their Galaxies and four of the Burrocks' Galaxies for the five they lost).

The Adders might've decided to do that touman sharpening on other enemies of their Clan, or the invading Clans, and seized power in the Homeworlds much earlier, without having to get in bed with Brett Andrews. On the flip side of the coin, the Adders might've had a much worse problem on its hands with the Burrocks in their ranks, as their increased numbers in the touman and in the lower castes could've magnified their discontent in the tight-knit Adder ranks.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2024, 18:36:32 by tassa_kay »

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #1247 on: 20 March 2024, 18:47:38 »
I agree with the majority of casualties caused by the Spirits bit, but it didn't really seem to be shaping up like the Burrocks were fighting hard for their survival up to that point.

The original Adder plan, which I realize the Spirits couldn't have known, was to decapitate the treasonous leadership of the Burrocks on the expectation that the remainder wouldn't fight to their fullest. It seems as though the Adders had accomplished this within 2 days of dropping onto Albion, and likely would have stood to Absorb the great majority of the Burrocks had the Spirits not interfered in the 11th hour just as Carlos Hutchinson and Cassius N'Buta were about to duel with the fate of Albion on the line. The tone in fighting elsewhere is mostly that of disheartened Warriors not putting up a strong showing, only Dagda seemed to see any other heavy fighting prior to Spirits' entry and even then only 2 of the 3 Burrock Clusters were obeying orders to hold at all costs.

If they didn't show up, I'd see an engorged Clan Star Adder eventually picking up where Clan Burrock left off in regards to the Spirits, if only to appease some of the new voices and influence of the abtakha on their new Clan. It would be interesting to what extent this may have happened, as without the huge holes in their Touman, maybe the Adders wouldn't have rushed to adopt so many former Burrocks as Warriors...
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1248 on: 20 March 2024, 18:58:37 »
That's fair. But I still don't see fear, of all things, as a motivator for the Spirits to take action the way they did. It was made abundantly clear that they acted out of hatred for the Adders and resentment for the Adders being given the right of Absorption over them, which still makes no sense to me. Trials of Absorption are supposed to be bid on, and that definitely didn't happen here, not with the Adders throwing virtually their entire touman into the fight (as is the norm for them). Surely another Clan would've bid lower than nine Galaxies to take seven Burrock Galaxies. 

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #1249 on: 20 March 2024, 23:43:34 »
If they didn't show up, I'd see an engorged Clan Star Adder eventually picking up where Clan Burrock left off in regards to the Spirits, if only to appease some of the new voices and influence of the abtakha on their new Clan. It would be interesting to what extent this may have happened, as without the huge holes in their Touman, maybe the Adders wouldn't have rushed to adopt so many former Burrocks as Warriors...

I would also see the Adders as having continued the harrassment of the Spirits, but the Burrocks weren't trying to destroy the Spirits. It was the same degree of "rivalry" as between the Wolves and the Falcons or the Bears and the Horses or the Ice Hellions and everybody. The Adders would have done raids and trials here and there, but they wouldn't have dropped in to do the decade long siege of York.

Interestingly, the Spirits could have tried to negotiate with the Adders for a Contract Bid against the Burrocks, if they had not gone "No! These are our blood enemies! You have no right to be the ones Absorbing them!" In fact, if the Spirits had thought about it, their feud was why they should not have been the Clan to have had the Right of Absorbtion. Do we really believe that the Blood Spirits getting that would have ended in anything less than a de facto Anhillation, like the Adders did to them in the end? When Passion rules, she never rules wisely...
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1250 on: 21 March 2024, 19:31:48 »
My FLGS had a 'Military Parade" last weekend: bring a fully painted army and show it off! They said they are planning to post pics to social media.

I represented with my Omicron Provisional Galaxy battlemechs!
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1251 on: 21 March 2024, 19:47:42 »
Nice! Some real classics in there.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #1252 on: 21 March 2024, 19:52:40 »
Nice! Some real classics in there.

I can"t seem to find my Crimson Langour  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1253 on: 22 March 2024, 02:01:43 »
My goodness, those are simply gorgeous, Top!

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #1254 on: 22 March 2024, 21:20:46 »
Thanks Tassa! :)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #1255 on: 23 March 2024, 09:55:48 »
Oh now that there is a thing of beauty!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #1256 on: 31 March 2024, 18:21:07 »
My FLGS had a 'Military Parade" last weekend: bring a fully painted army and show it off! They said they are planning to post pics to social media.

Love to see all the protos!

Shin_Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor never dies
    • 357th Infernal Division
« Reply #1257 on: 02 April 2024, 13:35:54 »
I can"t seem to find my Crimson Langour  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

It's out there backstabbing a Timberwolf somewhere.

Fantastic looking unit!
If this battlefield is Hell, then it is our home and wherever we go, Hell and chaos shall follow.

Lead 'Mech Wrangler: 357th Infernal Division, NE USA
Tai-sa Shiro "Fenris" Takeda, Mercenary: Kuroi Kaze (MAD-6KK Marauder II)
Galaxy Commander Zane Schmitt, Clan Blood Spirit: Iota Galaxy (Blood Kite 2)
Captain Brutus "Bloodsport" Carver, Mercenary: Song's Sentinels (SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch)
CI Backer #138 Merc Backer #32
Just here for KS info - y'all are too argumentative for real discussions.

cmerwin

• Master Sergeant
  • Clan Nova Cat: True to General Kerensky's Vision!
« Reply #1258 on: 02 April 2024, 21:38:24 »

Holy smokes. That is a beautiful sight to behold.
"But the nova cat paced steadily on,
Undisturbed by the petty battles...
its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #1259 on: 09 April 2024, 16:30:41 »
Did the Spirit's have heavy assault battle armor

Register