Author Topic: Davion & Davion (Deceased)  (Read 34130 times)

drakensis

• Lieutenant
Re: Davion & Davion (Deceased)
« Reply #60 on: 12 August 2012, 03:13:00 »
Having been pressed for this:

Epilogue

Cat's Eye, Caprice
New Star League, Deep Periphery
18 December 2800

Jason Karrige closed the dossier on the latest report on the fighting around King Henry. The settlement, housing veterans and dependents of the 349th Royal BattleMech Division, was still refusing to submit to the authority of the First Lord despite volunteer forces from the other settlements on Terra Nova holding it under siege for six months now.

"There is one more thing," the young officer - he was only in his thirties - added. "The Argussent back their preliminary report this morning."

Having half expected the reports to be over, Elizabeth Hazen-DeChavilier paused with her hand on the drawer that contained her cigars. "Something of interest Major?"

The Argus, a battered Tramp jumpship was the New Star League's primary link back to the Inner Sphere, making the eighteen month round-trip to the Mica worlds every two years. Under the cover of trading metals from Caprice's mines for electronics (and as she was officially unaware, for a few luxury goods) the crew picked up the real treasure: news from the Inner Sphere and brought it home.

"A change of power, ma'am." Karrige pulled out a disk. "The First Prince died last year. News reached Mica just before the Argus departed."

She sighed. "There goes the last of the old ones." Since Barbara Liao's death five years ago, John Davion had been the last living person to have been part of the Star League Council. "I guess if one of them was going to survive at least it was the one who didn't screw us over. So who's First Prince now?"

"Duke Hasek was regent when the Argus left - the Prince's grandson Paul wasn't quite of age. I imagine he's taken the throne now: he turned twenty-one this year."

"What implications are there for the stability of the Federated Suns?" asked the First Lord.

Kerrige shook his head slightly. "Very little, ma'am. The Chancellor Quinn appears to be fully focused on trying to reclaim Andurien from the League and the Combine's still bogged down fighting in the Outworlds Alliance. Zabu Kurita isn't crazy enough to give the Federated Suns reason to do more than sell the Alliance military hardware at scrap prices and he'd rather have a morass he can use to keep his generals busy with than have the AFFS make another push for An Ting the way they did in '96 after that 'ronin' invasion of Prosperpina."

Hazen-Dechavilier scribbled a note to herself to bring that up at the next Council meeting. "Alright, thanks for the heads up." No doubt the representatives from Jotunheim and Home would want to press for re-establishing contact again with the Inner Sphere on the excuse that now the last of the 'Old Council' was dead...
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

jpdt19

• Corporal
« Reply #61 on: 12 August 2012, 09:27:01 »
Delightful. Thank you drakensis for another wonderful story.

EDIT. Sincere appologies. Was very hungover!
« Last Edit: 12 August 2012, 12:03:20 by jpdt19 »

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: 12 August 2012, 11:51:36 »
Delightful. Thank you MA for another wonderful story.
...I'm not sure if I should be flattered or disturbed.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

jpdt19

• Corporal
« Reply #63 on: 12 August 2012, 12:36:48 »
So sorry sir. I apologise for my heinous mistake. I was half asleep i'm afraid :)

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 12 August 2012, 15:09:03 »
'salright. On reflection, I'm flattered.

jpdt19

• Corporal
« Reply #65 on: 12 August 2012, 16:37:20 »
Thank you for your forgiveness.

If it helps, I'm reminded of a line in I Claudius where young Claudius is confronted between two with an impossible situation. He meets and is asked by two literary greats, one his personal mentor, which one of them he prefers.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 12 August 2012, 20:23:58 »
Anyone other then me noticed the planet names in that epilogue are all from the Heavy Gear game? Though, IIRC the only Henry location on Terra Nova is Fort Henry.

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #67 on: 12 August 2012, 23:15:41 »
oOo, i hope there is a sequel to this story, it was one of my faves  O0

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: 13 August 2012, 02:04:29 »
Anyone other then me noticed the planet names in that epilogue are all from the Heavy Gear game? Though, IIRC the only Henry location on Terra Nova is Fort Henry.
Yeah, I took the world names from Heavy Gear.

The settlement is named King Henry because...

Well, I'll let you guys figure that out.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: 13 August 2012, 05:47:41 »
349th Royal BattleMech, The King Henry Division. Figured it out.

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: 13 August 2012, 09:20:49 »
"Chancellor Quinn"?

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #71 on: 13 August 2012, 09:32:14 »
And I thought his Grand Daughter was going to be the heir
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #72 on: 13 August 2012, 15:07:34 »
Barbara's successor was Sandol Quinn, because the next Liao wasn't of age. Ilsa Liao, when she's old enough, will take over. Essentially what happened in canon since Barbara and her sons died about the same general time as canon.

Petra is the younger of John's two grandchildren, she equates to the canonical Peter Davion. Her brother Paul is equivalent to the canonical Prince Paul II Davion, but is about a year younger than he would be in canon.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #73 on: 24 May 2020, 11:20:11 »
Just dropping in to say this story line is an excellent quarantine use of time.  I'm 60 pages in to the pdf version, and at least on the edge of my seat as I was when I first read it...  :thumbsup:

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #74 on: 24 May 2020, 12:29:38 »
Just dropping in to say this story line is an excellent quarantine use of time.  I'm 60 pages in to the pdf version, and at least on the edge of my seat as I was when I first read it...  :thumbsup:

There's a pdf?!?!?  :o :o

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #75 on: 24 May 2020, 12:36:04 »

There's a pdf?!?!?  :o :o

Of the full three-volume actual story that this thread is only an outline of? Yes.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #76 on: 24 May 2020, 12:52:02 »
Sorry... this was the first thread I found to the story.  Here's a link to the post with the pdfs: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=59371.msg1406200#msg1406200

Shame on me for not linking them in the first place...  :-\

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #77 on: 24 May 2020, 12:59:20 »
Thanks Daryk! Much appreciated!  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #78 on: 24 May 2020, 13:03:54 »
Glad I could help!  Working through this crisis has brought me little joy, but every little bit helps!  :thumbsup:

Register