Author Topic: Hard Mode (A Sun-Tzu SI)  (Read 13490 times)

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
Re: Hard Mode (A Sun-Tzu SI)
« Reply #60 on: 25 May 2020, 17:21:07 »
"near the FedCom border"....

That might be a really bad idea, it could become too tempting.

Well, not necessarily, if this SI manages to entice/entreat/make a deal to the Fed Com properly and timely it'll be a huge boon to have a short line of supply to the most important RCTs to supply with those refit kits.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #61 on: 25 May 2020, 23:34:40 »
especially if he takes out mom and grandad
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

consequences

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #62 on: 26 May 2020, 05:14:08 »
"near the FedCom border"....

That might be a really bad idea, it could become too tempting.

Everything is close enough to the Fed Com border to be hit. Barring multi regiment actions in the middle of a major war, almost nothing of note ever was in a historically noteworthy fashion. And shortly the FC will have much more urgently important things to worry about.

Kheilwar

• Recruit
« Reply #63 on: 09 June 2020, 12:16:43 »
Hm, even as a stout patriot of my beloved Free Worlds League I have to say: Chapeau, good Sir! For an outstanding work on those treacherous leech Sun Tzu.  :thumbsup:
(the First and Real Prophet of the Lurmgods)

Fire Support lance, Echo Company (5./ Stinson's Sabers), 1th Marik Militia "The avenging Angels"

J-H

• Corporal
« Reply #64 on: 20 December 2020, 17:42:22 »
It’s been 7 months since I touched this, and I suspect all my creative efforts for the near future will be going towards the 2nd D&D campaign I have written and am running.

Here are the story beats/events I knew I wanted to include:

-Further negotiations about double heat sinks.  Possible prompting of early reveal of Dragoons?
-Further discussions of re-uniting with St. Ives with parents, including some internal conflict about trying to get Romano knocked off, and how to do it.
-Further mention of studying how St. Ives has implemented social/political reforms, and how it’s worked out for the better in terms of social and economic freedom, quality of life, and productivity.
-Outreach is scheduled basically as canon, as, aside from the Dragoons possibly talking to the FedCom a bit earlier, nothing else will affect things outside the Cappellan Confederation.
-Start making connections on Outreach, beginning with the “bomb under the table scene,” including specifically initiating conversation with Cassandra & Kuan-Yin about those topics.
-Handle the Trial of Position differently and better.

From there, the long-term plan includes:
-Trying for a cousin marriage and merger with Cassandra or Kuan-Yin, which (1) reintegrates St. Ives peacefully (2) provides a rationale, platform, and “see how it worked with our brethren” case for major social and economic reforms within the CC and (3) places FedCom-friendly officials and wife in high places in the CC, leading to better diplomatic relations.  I already know Isis doesn’t work out, there are numerous reasons why Omi Kurita doesn’t work out, and Victor’s sister Katrina is a no-go for both character and national stability reasons.  I can’t see anyone wanting to give the Liaos even a trace of a claim to the FedCom throne.
-Sun-Tzu’s Clanbuster unit going after the Clans somewhere, likely involving showing up on Luthien to help defend it, and somewhere, I’m not sure where, working alongside FedCom forces…preferably near Victor or Kai, as personal ties are important.
-Plenty of boring and non-boring reforms inside the CC, including developing an actual national military planning staff, cracking down on patronage networks, and all sorts of things that are fraught with internal politics that I am not capable of portraying well.
-Economic growth as a result of reforms, with military production being focused around DHS production and refit-kits… the sales of those to other nations then helping strengthen the CC military quality, but without standing up a bunch of new (expensive) units at a time when there’s a lot of economic change going on.
-Encouraging stable elements within the TC, and generally being a good neighbor to the Periphery nations.
-Proposing some kind of Star League replacement, except not on Terra (maybe even on a space station a la Babylon 5?), and specifically inviting the Periphery states to the conference as full participating members.  The goal would be less “government” and more a set of mutually-agreed on rules, ways to resolve conflict and improve trade, and platform for optional-participation joint ventures in things like spaceborne manufacturing and terraforming.  We’d probably specifically target the Clans for Trials of Possessions for Star League-era terraforming equipment data, if they have it.

Of course, the enemy always gets a vote too…

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 21 December 2020, 10:09:31 »
I am enjoying this, please do continue.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 21 December 2020, 10:45:15 »
I agree, this is good, the concept of SunTsu as a good guy is great
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 21 December 2020, 18:51:59 »
i think that Blackwell might want to make a deal with MMM over in the MC.  that would keep the FedCom from loosing it when they find out about them making DHS for the CC.  but they will have to sell more in total to the FedCom out of their facilities but it would not out and out look like they are selling to the enemy.  ST could pay for a third of it out of his pocket, WD cover a third and the MC/MMM cover the last part. 

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 11 April 2021, 15:10:28 »
I really hoped that we might see more
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #69 on: 11 April 2021, 15:30:55 »
I really hoped that we might see more

Damn you for making me believe this had been updated.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

vianca

• Sergeant
« Reply #70 on: 12 April 2021, 05:02:26 »
Sarissa and other primitive blueprints.
Then Mercury and Dragon mechs their blueprints, even if it's reverse engineering some mech from some mech collector it's collection.
Then get Hybrid Myomer made and turn that Sarissa into a royal by changing out it's primitive materials for royal ones.
Think mini-Omega, here.

Edit:
Enough room for a modular equipement upgrade, hence the need for the Mercury & Dragoon mechs.
Primitive equipement or royal, quite a size & weight difference, right there.
And with primitive sized acuators...
Then look for the reactor that has a similar size as that primitive one, so you can just swap them.
Pretty sure it will result in being a bit overpowered and thus a speedy mech.

One thing to look out for, though, if only for that VRPP system.
Look at SLDF ASF pilot suits their helmet ability, mini-VRPP's.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Burke_Kale
« Last Edit: 12 April 2021, 14:36:30 by vianca »

Register