Author Topic: Upcoming Releases Volume XIII: Unlucky Release Edition  (Read 206406 times)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Re: Upcoming Releases Volume XIII: Unlucky Release Edition
« Reply #1260 on: 13 December 2018, 18:27:48 »
Which ones?  ???
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Shattered_Sphere
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/FedCom_Civil_War_(sourcebook)   

Edit; copy and past the link for it to work, don't know why but it leaves off the ) when you click on it.

« Last Edit: 13 December 2018, 18:32:16 by SteelRaven »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1261 on: 13 December 2018, 18:39:20 »
Not the Civil Wars I was looking for... I'm all about the pre-clan era...

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #1262 on: 13 December 2018, 19:36:31 »

My mistake
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1263 on: 13 December 2018, 19:44:29 »
Era Report 2750 has the most information on the War of Davion Succession, at the very least.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1264 on: 13 December 2018, 20:05:39 »
That one I have, thanks!

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #1265 on: 13 December 2018, 20:23:46 »
Not a bad theory Wrangler . . . knowing they were on the wrong side of the Civil War and 'given' to the SL to get them out of the FedSuns.  I do not think it would take someone long, if they wanted to, to whip the rumor mill into saying they were being sent on suicide missions to continue the punishment.  Imagine you are a line trooper who followed orders in the Civil War, get effectively exiled for losing, start hearing rumors of other FS units that were on the same side being sent on forlorn hopes and abandoned by the First Prince loving SL command structure, and be told you just got assigned to drop on to a horde of Taurians.  You ask your CO if the rumors are true, they are being sent out to die . . . and get Standard Answer #43.

Honestly, easy to see how one of the Terran March units could have been manipulated into doing exactly what happened.
  Plausible on its face, but the timescale involves gives me pause.  The Davion Civil War ran from 2519 to 2540.  Roger Varnay’s ‘triumphant return from exile to reclaim his rightful throne’ was virtually exterminated when he made it in 2565 — the naval component (and its CapCon ‘support’) was annihilated at Kigamboni, the ground-troops wiped out on Wappingers “nearly to a man” (according to HB:HD).
  Assuming enlistment at age 20 and mandatory retirement at age 65, a line trooper who signed up with the Federated Peacekeeping Forces at the start of the DCW in 2519 and ‘just followed (Varnay/Rostov) orders’ thereafter would be ageing out by the time of Varnay’s failed return and would’ve endured a quarter-century of suspicion and dead-end assignments in the post-DCW AFFS... which is a long time to retain the services of a man whose loyalties are held in question.
  If this hypothetical trooper signed up at the very end of the DCW in 2539 or so, to still be in FedSuns uniform by the time of the Sterope raid in 2588, he’s somehow escaped being jettisoned to the SLDF in 2571 (which Alexander Davion explicitly used to take a ‘new broom’ to his military, sweeping out units and personnel with a history of disloyalty to him and his branch of the Davion family) and been retained years past his pension date.
  I mean, I know BT leaders often practice collective responsibility when it comes to disloyal units, but to keep punishing the children and grandchildren of ‘rebel’ troops two generations after the rebellion ended seems... a tad extreme, for the FedSuns.  I’d half-expect it from the DC or CC (if not a blanket 9mm retirement package for all those involved directly after the Civil War), but as a general rule the Davions have had a relatively lighter hand when it comes to such things.

Eh.  At this rate, I think I’ll just have to settle on a personal interpretation and call it good.
  For my purposes, I’m going to assume that somewhere between the end of the DCW and the crushing of Roger’s Return in 2565, the Duke of New Syrtis — either founder or heir to one of the short-lived dynasties that replaced the attainted Varnays — assembled a nine-battalion ‘household bodyguard’ unit of ’Mechs and vehicles, the Syrtis Light Cavalry.  (There’s canonical precedent for this — check out Hot Spots or Chaos March for the kind of shenanigans planetary nobles can get up to below the national radar.)  The central AFFS either didn’t notice this formation, or for domestic political reasons chose not to act against it at the time of joining the Star League, but it became... inconvenient to tolerate thereafter*, and the Duke was ‘encouraged’ to ‘downsize’ his bodyguard by, oh, three battalions or so.  The Duke nominated the three unlucky battalions (the 2nd, 3rd and 7th), appointed a regimental commander and staff for the now-237th, and with semi-official sanction dispatched them to shoot up a Taurian planet as proof of New Syrtis’ loyalty to Alexander Davion (the timing being a matter of convoluted domestic politics), never intending to accept them back into the FedSuns.  Unfortunately for the Duke, the troops he used in this ‘demonstration’ realised they were being expended on a one-way operation, simply so the Duke could cover his ass, and they had other ideas....

Your mileage may vary, of course.

* Hmmm... come to think of it, I’ve got just the historical justification for that, but it’s a spoiler!

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1266 on: 13 December 2018, 22:17:26 »
I don't think mandatory retirement at age 65 is a thing in the AFFS at any point and that feels like a pretty major assumption to make when we have MechWarriors taking the field as effective combatants well into their 90s and 100s.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #1267 on: 13 December 2018, 23:18:09 »
I don't think mandatory retirement at age 65 is a thing in the AFFS at any point and that feels like a pretty major assumption to make when we have MechWarriors taking the field as effective combatants well into their 90s and 100s.
  The examplars who spring to mind for such aged combatants are usually people like Morgan Kell and Natasha Kerensky, who are, uh, rather outliers — people who have a one-in-billions combination of experience, skill, luck, physical conditioning, genetic predisposition and just plain Divine Favour.  And while Star League medtech might extend lifespans into the 150s by the time of the Amaris Coup (per JHS:Terra), the DCW was more than two centuries before that, and I’d guesstimate that the average lifespan in the 26th century is closer to 100-110 than the number immediately pre-Amaris.
  People who are actually subject to the bell-curve, instead of blowing the roof off of it?  I’d imagine that they’d start falling out of their prime by their 60s and 70s.  Mandatory retirement?  Possibly not a thing in-universe... but even if there’s no formal policy, I can imagine there’d be a lot of ‘encouragement’ to take non-combat postings (or a pension) past a certain age, especially for people who have demonstrated ‘dubious judgement’ in their careers.

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1268 on: 13 December 2018, 23:42:11 »

For the 26th century one, closest to a historical you're going to get is Handbook House Davion and its 1980s predecessor. If you're after anything on individual units, Field Manual FedSuns mentions it in unit write-ups.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1269 on: 14 December 2018, 00:12:23 »
  The examplars who spring to mind for such aged combatants are usually people like Morgan Kell and Natasha Kerensky, who are, uh, rather outliers — people who have a one-in-billions combination of experience, skill, luck, physical conditioning, genetic predisposition and just plain Divine Favour.  And while Star League medtech might extend lifespans into the 150s by the time of the Amaris Coup (per JHS:Terra), the DCW was more than two centuries before that, and I’d guesstimate that the average lifespan in the 26th century is closer to 100-110 than the number immediately pre-Amaris.
  People who are actually subject to the bell-curve, instead of blowing the roof off of it?  I’d imagine that they’d start falling out of their prime by their 60s and 70s.  Mandatory retirement?  Possibly not a thing in-universe... but even if there’s no formal policy, I can imagine there’d be a lot of ‘encouragement’ to take non-combat postings (or a pension) past a certain age, especially for people who have demonstrated ‘dubious judgement’ in their careers.

We don't actually know one way or another whether those people are actually outliers in a meaningful sense; the age demographics of any faction's military aren't known to us (except that the Clans are predominantly young).  My point was that mandatory retirement based on age isn't an assumption we can rely on being true.  Similarly I don't think there's ever been a concrete declaration of what the age of majority in the Federated Suns is; 20 seems incredibly conservative to enlistment, considering it's entirely possible for someone nowadays to sign their contract the day they turn 17.

I don't actually have anything against your conclusion, just the methodology. ;)
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #1270 on: 14 December 2018, 00:26:03 »
  Plausible on its face, but the timescale involves gives me pause.  The Davion Civil War ran from 2519 to 2540.  Roger Varnay’s ‘triumphant return from exile to reclaim his rightful throne’ was virtually exterminated when he made it in 2565 — the naval component (and its CapCon ‘support’) was annihilated at Kigamboni, the ground-troops wiped out on Wappingers “nearly to a man” (according to HB:HD).
  Assuming enlistment at age 20 and mandatory retirement at age 65, a line trooper who signed up with the Federated Peacekeeping Forces at the start of the DCW in 2519 and ‘just followed (Varnay/Rostov) orders’ thereafter would be ageing out by the time of Varnay’s failed return and would’ve endured a quarter-century of suspicion and dead-end assignments in the post-DCW AFFS... which is a long time to retain the services of a man whose loyalties are held in question.
  If this hypothetical trooper signed up at the very end of the DCW in 2539 or so, to still be in FedSuns uniform by the time of the Sterope raid in 2588, he’s somehow escaped being jettisoned to the SLDF in 2571 (which Alexander Davion explicitly used to take a ‘new broom’ to his military, sweeping out units and personnel with a history of disloyalty to him and his branch of the Davion family) and been retained years past his pension date.
  I mean, I know BT leaders often practice collective responsibility when it comes to disloyal units, but to keep punishing the children and grandchildren of ‘rebel’ troops two generations after the rebellion ended seems... a tad extreme, for the FedSuns.  I’d half-expect it from the DC or CC (if not a blanket 9mm retirement package for all those involved directly after the Civil War), but as a general rule the Davions have had a relatively lighter hand when it comes to such things.

Eh.  At this rate, I think I’ll just have to settle on a personal interpretation and call it good.
  For my purposes, I’m going to assume that somewhere between the end of the DCW and the crushing of Roger’s Return in 2565, the Duke of New Syrtis — either founder or heir to one of the short-lived dynasties that replaced the attainted Varnays — assembled a nine-battalion ‘household bodyguard’ unit of ’Mechs and vehicles, the Syrtis Light Cavalry.  (There’s canonical precedent for this — check out Hot Spots or Chaos March for the kind of shenanigans planetary nobles can get up to below the national radar.)  The central AFFS either didn’t notice this formation, or for domestic political reasons chose not to act against it at the time of joining the Star League, but it became... inconvenient to tolerate thereafter*, and the Duke was ‘encouraged’ to ‘downsize’ his bodyguard by, oh, three battalions or so.  The Duke nominated the three unlucky battalions (the 2nd, 3rd and 7th), appointed a regimental commander and staff for the now-237th, and with semi-official sanction dispatched them to shoot up a Taurian planet as proof of New Syrtis’ loyalty to Alexander Davion (the timing being a matter of convoluted domestic politics), never intending to accept them back into the FedSuns.  Unfortunately for the Duke, the troops he used in this ‘demonstration’ realised they were being expended on a one-way operation, simply so the Duke could cover his ass, and they had other ideas....

Your mileage may vary, of course.

* Hmmm... come to think of it, I’ve got just the historical justification for that, but it’s a spoiler!

My personal headcannon is that the lighthorse were a regiment left over from the Terran Alliance, possibly one that sided with the rebels during the Grain Revolt or had ties to the First Families, leading to the Feds keeping them intact. Over time, their reputation failed and they were only kept on the roles as a dumping ground for personnel nobody else wanted, leading to their poor performance on Sterope and their desertion.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

MrKiasu

• Sergeant
« Reply #1271 on: 14 December 2018, 05:30:38 »
Would it be possible to square this circle by saying the 237th was not actually a battlemech formation, and rather a conventional unit - of which we know there are a huge number and they don’t show up in OOBs or movement tables. Then we need to explain the presence of Mechs in their formation after going awol. Maybe there was a detached mech formation from another unit that went with them or they stole the mechs (but then, where did the pilots come from?).

That doesn’t seem like too much of a stretch.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #1272 on: 14 December 2018, 07:25:42 »
Or it was an ADHOC formation
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #1273 on: 14 December 2018, 07:38:34 »
Pure battlemech regiments were still relatively new leading up to the Reunification War. Battlemechs had only been around for so long, to the point where primitive mechs still made up a substantial part of the house armies. A composite unit seems likely.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1274 on: 14 December 2018, 09:44:16 »
As interesting as this is, this isn't the thread for it. I hope you'll go create a new thread to continue this discussion while this thread gets back to discussing new releases.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1275 on: 15 December 2018, 12:03:20 »
Warrior Trilogy Coming to Print-on-Demand and eBook

To mark the 30th Anniversary of their release, we are proud to announce that the Michael Stackpole penned "Warrior Trilogy" will be available as both ebooks and Print On Demand (POD) starting December 22 (12/22).

Here are the links to hub pages so you can purchase from your preferred provider:

books2read.com/BattleTechLegendsWarriorEnGarde

Warrior En Garde Back Cover:

’MECHS AT THE READY…

Betrayed by his own House and stripped of his rank, exiled Mechwarrior Justin Allard is given one last chance to save his honor—by risking his life in the gladiatorial arenas of Solaris VII. But his newest Game World opponent—more skilled at 'Mech-to-'Mech combat than any other rival—raises the stakes even higher. It's Philip Capet, former mechwarrior in the Davion military—until he was kicked out by none other than Justin Allard before his own unfortunate fall from grace.

Both Justin and Philip face fierce battles, but in the Inner Sphere, where nobles have schemed for centuries to win the ultimate power, those who interfere with the Successor Lords are sometimes called heroes.

And sometimes called victims…

books2read.com/BattleTechLegendsWarriorRiposte

Warrior Riposte Back Cover:

THE GAUNTLET IS THROWN…

Hanse Davion and Melissa Steiner have united two Great Houses of the Inner Sphere in a marriage that upsets the balance of power among the stars. Though some hope this may bring an end to centuries of war, Maximilian Liao of the Capellan Confederation has enlisted the aid of two highly placed Davion traitors to destroy Hanse Davion and the Federated Suns from both within and without.

But in the distant star chambers of the Capellan March and Draconis Combine, the warlords of Maximilian Liao are honoring a different and more deadly vow: to wage an unholy war that threatens to rip apart the vulnerable worlds of the Federated Suns. As Davion ’Mech commander Andrew Redburn and his mercenaries streak into battle, an explosive clash of metal and men signals the return of a formidable foe. Interstellar legend Yorinaga Kurita has returned to stake his claim as the most bloodthirsty warrior of all. For both men, it is do-or-die combat that could ensure the triumph of a glorious new alliance—or result in total annihilation…

books2read.com/BattleTechLegendsWarriorCoupe

Warrior Coupe Back Cover:

THE FINAL ENGAGEMENT…

The minions of Maximilian Liao are about to deliver a crippling blow to the forces of Prince Hanse Davion—discovering a way to use Hanse’s own technology against him.

Half a galaxy away, assassins stalk Hanse's wife, Melissa Steiner, and her mother, Archon Katrina Steiner, in the passageways of their own palace.

Invasion is imminent. The only ’Mech force capable of stopping that invasion—the Kell Hounds mercenary unit—is trapped in a game of search and destroy with the most fearsome Kurita unit ever created. Even if they come back in time...how many would make it?

In a world where ten-meter-tall war machines are the soul of battle, assassins are state policy, and a spy’s loyalty is always for sale, the only thing certain is death. Who can you trust? And in the bitter end, how will you be betrayed?

Please Note! POD may not be available at the same time as the ebook goes on sale. It can take longer for POD titles to propagate through the various systems. This is beyond our control.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2018, 12:22:58 by Cubby »
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1276 on: 15 December 2018, 12:16:23 »
Oh that is nice, I have been waiting for that one and a few others to finally make epub.  I know where my Amazon gift card is going!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1277 on: 15 December 2018, 12:32:19 »
Lovely art to go with such nice trilogy.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1278 on: 15 December 2018, 12:38:14 »
For Engarde . . . is that the first art we have gotten with a Classic Phoenix Hawk?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1279 on: 15 December 2018, 12:39:10 »
For Engarde . . . is that the first art we have gotten with a Classic Phoenix Hawk?

Combat Manual: Kurita
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1280 on: 15 December 2018, 12:51:20 »
Keep forgetting that it was in the background on that cover- the Wolverine was distracting.
Colt Ward

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1281 on: 15 December 2018, 13:24:09 »
oh my god that looks amazing. And the updated covers are excellent.

I'll definitely get the whole trilogy printed. Stunning work in resurrecting these books after never being available since their (now) very old print run.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #1282 on: 15 December 2018, 14:32:50 »
Do any of these providers sell DRM-free eBooks?
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1283 on: 15 December 2018, 15:21:14 »
Never been much for the novels but I recently picked up Embers of War and Betrayal of Ideals to test the waters. I’ll get this if for no other reason than to further encourage more PoD offerings

Speaking of which, any news on the jihad turning points compilation Capital Punishment?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Dak

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #1284 on: 15 December 2018, 16:50:53 »
Might be worth mentioning these are completely re-edited versions too, not the previous scanned-to-text ones!

Dak

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1285 on: 15 December 2018, 18:21:01 »
Is that a Shimmy redraw of the Orion?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1286 on: 15 December 2018, 18:27:00 »
Looks a lot like the one on the cover of 2sw

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MrKiasu

• Sergeant
« Reply #1287 on: 15 December 2018, 19:14:15 »
Do any of these providers sell DRM-free eBooks?

At least kobo does. That’s the one I’ve been using.

chongobongo

• Corporal
« Reply #1288 on: 15 December 2018, 19:49:06 »
Looks like the Orion has a new look too .

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1289 on: 15 December 2018, 20:30:03 »
Its had a new look for awhile now.

Register