Author Topic: Miniatures of the Fortnight #84: Battle Cobra, Crossbow, and Crossbow  (Read 2097 times)

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
The Invading Clans sourcebook gave us our first real look at Clan Steel Viper and Sanra Mercer's doctrine.  Unfortunately, for that Clan, Sanra Mercer was overshadowed by a future Khan (and ilKhan) and the Wars of Reaving, but this is admittedly off-topic.  We're here to talk about 'Mechs and miniatures.

Invading Clans also gave us the first look at two OmniMechs used by Clan Steel Viper, the Battle Cobra and the Crossbow.  Later, Technical Readout: 3075 would give us a look at an Age of War-era Crossbow that was the new predecessor of the Steel Viper Crossbow.  Like I said, we're here to talk about 'Mechs and miniatures, so please see the 'Mech of the Week articles if you want to know more about then in-game (Battle Cobra, Crossbow (Clan), and Crossbow (Inner Sphere)).

Miniature-wise, there isn't much to say about the Battle Cobra.  It has only ever had one sculpt (20-662).

The Crossbow is a more interesting story.  I want to know: Were there ever official stats for the Crossbow XBW-9J?

The first Crossbow mini was a BattleDroids mini released by Ral Partha, ostensibly the XBW-9J model (20-813).  Like all BattleDroid 'Mech minis, this has been long out of print.  You can see the missle pods on its arms, reminiscent of the Longbow.  This idea appears to have been recycled or adapted into the more common forms of the Crossbow we know today.

The next miniature released was for the Crossbow OmniMech (20-911).

And then came the miniature for the Crossbow BattleMech (20-5006).

By now, you know the drill: If you've painted any of these miniatures, we'd love to see them!

Thanks for reading and a special thank you to those of you who will post.

Our next two fortnights will be:
  • Special (12/30): WarShips and JumpShips
  • Inner Sphere (1/13): Ostroc and Ostwar

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
I don't have a Battledroid miniature, but all other wanted mechs are already painted.
The Battle Cobra is part of a clan Blood Spirit Upsilon formation.
The clan Crossbow is easily identified as an Ghost Bear Alpha galaxy member.
And finally the IS Crossbow is part of a Donegal Guard unit. This specific mini can exchange the small missile launcher discs for its counterparts, so that this mini can represent the -6B configuration as well as the -9A configuration.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Here's a Clan Snow Raven Battle Cobra:

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
A Smoke Jaguar Battle Cobra C

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
A Smoke Jaguar Crossbow