Author Topic: Would you play with the Hairbrained Schemes Autocannon Homerules?  (Read 7681 times)

Col Toda

• Captain
Re: Would you play with the Hairbrained Schemes Autocannon Homerules?
« Reply #30 on: 19 March 2018, 09:43:21 »
Planets in battletech are sometimes isolated for decades or centuries . Unique orphan weapons should occur from time to time but become quickly extinct when the place becomes reestablished as place to trade at . So AC / 15 s or Med Gauss Rifle will happen just not last or remain only on that planet's militia . In a campaign I introduced the Med Gauss Rifle same range brackets as an ER PPC one crit and on ton less than an Inner Sphere Standad Gauss rifle and 12 shots a ton doing 12 pts of Damage . it existed on one deep perphery Jarn Folk world and no where else.  In an RPG setting it happens . The entire Clan based technology is an example of muliple weapon systems being improved or upgraded in isolation . Save for a weapon system developed in isolation too many logistcal factors come into play when you are using ammo no one but yourself can quickly provide . For instance I created a scatch built Hover APC with 8 tons of infantry/battle armor compartment in 3058 to fulfill a perceived need to cart around Kanazuchi battle armor . By 3085 the manufacturers caught up with that perceived need with about a half a dozen alternatives and I would abandon an expensive to build and maintain unique unit and buy any one of the cheaper easy to replace newly manufactured one . A weapon system is an entity that reflect tactical efficacy , strategic resupply , and manufacturing material choke point issues and questions . So except for some kind of legitimate overiding reason I do not expect to see it .
« Last Edit: 19 March 2018, 10:05:04 by Col Toda »

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 24 March 2018, 00:57:08 »
I was actually working over a series of new weapons that scale more rationally.

There are Four ACs (AC/5 4/8/16/24, 6 tons, RAC5 6/12/18, 8 tons, AC10 6/12/18, 10 tons, AC20 4/8/12, 14 tons)  all of which can double tap and cluster/LBX is a round type

Combine that with the three Gauss, twelve lasers (vanilla SL/Ml/LL, ER +1 range, 3x cost +50% heat, Pulse, -1 range, 2x cost, +50% heat and weight, Pulse bonus, and Heavy 250% damage, 4x price, 2x bulk, weight, and heat), MRMs have 5/10/15 range, Clantech Streaks, normal SRMS, agree that the only PPC is the cERPPC

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #32 on: 30 March 2018, 21:50:34 »
Newest stats from the early release streams. ACs still have the penalty to hit the round after they fire. The AC-10 is not a headcapper even with 12 damage. They increased internal slightly in the head to compensate. Armor, internals, and damage have been multiplied by 5 so instead of 15 internal on the head they changed it to 16. This is not to say you will not find a AC-10+ that will have a damage boost to make it a headcapper. Give every mech an armored cowl to compensate for the increased AC damage? Interestingly PPCs have been given the ability to disrupt an enemy's targeting slightly when hit.

Weapon Damage
AC-2            5
AC-5            9
AC-10         12
« Last Edit: 31 March 2018, 14:17:17 by Stormforge »
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #33 on: 31 March 2018, 15:19:23 »
Hmm.. I see they've strayed even further off the reservation.  So much for table top + 3D computer animation...

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 01 April 2018, 08:46:21 »
Hmm.. I see they've strayed even further off the reservation.  So much for table top + 3D computer animation...
It was never gonna be that. They were open about that from beginning.

The cancelled MechWarrior Tactics was that.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #35 on: 01 April 2018, 08:52:54 »
Either I missed it when I backed it (around day 1), or it's evolved further over time.  Ah well.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 01 April 2018, 09:36:04 »
Either I missed it when I backed it (around day 1), or it's evolved further over time.  Ah well.

It was in the FAQ, under "Is this gonna be a port of the Battletech tabletop rules?":

Our goal is to craft a combat system for BATTLETECH that’s the perfect blend of tactical depth, speed of play, and meaningful unit customization. As we did with our Shadowrun games, we intend to capture the *spirit* of the original tabletop rules, while designing the best PC game we can. That said, Shadowrun and BattleTech are very different games! For one thing, Shadowrunners like to hide behind cover, while ‘Mechs… squash cover. Expect turn-based combat in BattleTech to feel very different than a more cover-based combat system like Shadowrun’s.

Also, i'm pretty sure they quite early on demonstrated some differences from tabletop game.
In April a couple of years back, they talked about turn order (some snippets):
Whenever I’m at a game convention, I’m always asked, “Why don’t you just port the BattleTech tabletop rules to the computer? They’ve worked great for 30 years!” For the answer, let’s start with the obvious - tabletop games have the enormous benefit of in-person social interaction. Being around the table with your friends is entertaining all by itself and taking more time to resolve game results is not necessarily a negative. On the other hand, waiting for a remote opponent in an online game can be frustrating at worst and boring at best.
BattleTech’s turn order is a good example of a tabletop design element that doesn’t port well to the computer. The tabletop design attempts to reflect the fictional reality of 'Mechs and vehicles moving and shooting simultaneously by splitting movement and combat into two different phases. Movement order is based on initiative, and then alternated between players. Combat is resolved simultaneously - players take turns rolling damage, and then that damage all takes effect at the same time. This works great for tabletop, where it’s easy to accept the nonlinear abstraction.

Some gameplay differences for those who don't know:
Just some examples: you can't both run and shoot. Initiative works differently, with weight-class being the basis for things. Heat system works differently (they felt small penalties weren't fun, instead heat risks ammo explosions and shut down, and causes internal damage). They removed medium range band. Melee works differently.

Even the construction rules have been modified slightly: There are better versions of weapons, one can max out both front and rear armor (but max armor tonnage hasn't changed), there are hardpoints: energy, ballistic, missile, support (small weapons that can be used with melee).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 01 April 2018, 09:46:11 »
I'm pretty sure that FAQ was asked after I backed the project.  They lost my interest quite some time ago with all the various changes, but I don't begrudge them my pledge.  I just don't expect to be playing it when it finally comes out.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 01 April 2018, 09:50:48 »
Possible, i don't really remember. All i knew from the beginning that there was no chance it would be tabletop port to PC. This based on cynicism: no one's gonna do that, not really.

(Personally don't really care either, social interaction is such a massive part of the game, this is partially the reason why i never cared for MegaMek. Without social interaction and some mind games, it just a clunky rules set.)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 01 April 2018, 09:55:04 »
I do recall what I now would describe as irrational exuberance when I backed it... At the very least, my pledge is helping to drive a stake through the heart of a certain copyright troll that has their own thread elsewhere.  On that score alone, I count it as money well spent.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 01 April 2018, 10:03:29 »
Oh, i was excited then (and now, it was the middle phase that was "i don't really give a shit"). I just doubted the system would be tabletop system.

But yes, if nothing else, anything against those trolls is a good thing.

Psyckosama

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 29 April 2018, 14:23:12 »
One element of the rules you forgot on top of the damage boost is the recoil penalty.