Author Topic: Canon elements in Empires Aflame?  (Read 2046 times)

Frabby

• Major
Canon elements in Empires Aflame?
« on: 03 November 2014, 05:02:10 »
I understand that the Empires Aflame AU is an alternate universe and not canonical for BattleTech outside of the Empires Aflame adventure.

I presume that Herb's official LD stance (from when he was LD, and never rescinded since then) remains that there are no "canonical" AUs in BattleTech, and no transdimensional travel to any AUs. Correct?

That does leave the question how to treat the adventure parts which are set in the "real" BT universe - canonical, apocryphal (aka, "no comment"), or non-canonical?
I'm specifically wondering about the RAF Material Oversight Division and their agenda, but also about the canonicity of the ships and characters. Basically, pp. 3-7 and the parts of p. 8 dealing with the ships' cargo and configuration when they jumped out.

I guess Herb saw this one coming... but I had to ask.  O:-)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: Canon elements in Empires Aflame?
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2014, 07:43:21 »
Before I answer that one way or another, let me note a few details I drew this from: the description of the MMRP and the RAF's MOD as described in Field Manual: 3085, and the fact that even in the Dark Age setting, Galatea is never shut down completely. This told me that the mercenary industry remains alive and well throughout the entire Republic period, but that the Republic nevertheless maintains a strict policy of keeping private citizens from owning heavy military hardware. The idea of my approach for this story is to underscore how the surrendering of such weapons in favor of economic and political boons (e.g. citizenship and monetary loans) creates a business unto itself, and by 3095, the RAF is not afraid to outsource to reliable--but ultimately dispossessed--mercenary teams, to gather the surrendered gear for "orderly disposal". (As we also learn in the Dark Age, the factions didn't destroy nearly as many of these machines as they claimed they did; a lot just went into mothballs.)

So, my goal with all that was to work within established canon to have a reason for a mercenary player group to be in Republic employ, so they could misjump onto Terra's doorstep. If I seem to have violated canon in doing so, I ask that you explain where and how.

-

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2014, 09:49:20 »
Oh, no, I think you misunderstood. I didn't spot any canon problems. But I didn't see the RAF MOD's agenda spelled out quite as clearly before (or simply didn't remember).
Since I like the whole setup how "reliable" mercs could come to work for the Republic, I just wanted to be sure I can take these factoids at face value.

As for the spaceships and characters... I just want to know if they're canon. Like the vessels, characters and events from Far Country are canon up until their misjump.
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2014, 10:26:46 »
I guess we can call them canon. They don't violate anything; from the PoV of the mainstream universe, they're just another lost ship and crews.

-

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2014, 14:57:17 »
So Canon except where the AU is concerned?
That's what I thought. Thank you for the clarification!  O0

Register