Author Topic: Collaborative Merc Unit  (Read 29236 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Collaborative Merc Unit
« Reply #90 on: 22 November 2018, 14:45:18 »
Exactly... He's also earning that -2 Reputation too.  This isn't his first prison break, and they NEVER go as planned.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #91 on: 22 November 2018, 15:54:13 »
Seems we will have some significant infantry forces. in the end 4 platoons worth plus the medics. Wow.

This is going to be a high wages unit!

Will make a roll call of our actual TOE tomorrow to see what we ended up having. Maybe will review the common resources to reduce them.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2018, 15:56:14 by Elmoth »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #92 on: 22 November 2018, 16:16:54 »
I'm only planning on a single squad going in, two coming out, so that should cut it down a little.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #93 on: 22 November 2018, 16:20:00 »
Well, since tomorrow is Friday, I will try to set a quick escenario in case someone wants to run it over the weekend. Any suggestions for the war games?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #94 on: 22 November 2018, 16:36:28 »
Since we're contemplating a prison break, CQB definitely needs to be on the agenda...

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #95 on: 22 November 2018, 16:47:18 »
That's what the Jump Troops are for.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #96 on: 22 November 2018, 16:52:29 »
The assault seems to be 2 escenarios un 1.

A. The mech + ASF attack
B. The actual CQB escenario with the parateoopers fighting inside the prison.

I will try to think of. Way to integrate both. Suggestions welcome

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #97 on: 22 November 2018, 16:52:59 »
Well, since tomorrow is Friday, I will try to set a quick escenario in case someone wants to run it over the weekend. Any suggestions for the war games?

Jump Infantry versus The Garrison Foot Platoon in close quarters.

Combat Engineers platoon versus metal bars and gates just in case.

Mechwarriors comparing the size of their.... Mechs.

Paramedics versus any idiot that gets injured during the combat practice.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #98 on: 22 November 2018, 17:02:16 »
The jump troops are ex-Marik, so they'll be easy for Moro to integrate along side.  Figure on four squads of jump troops going into the prison (yes, Moro is jump pack qualified).  And a fifth squad of foot troops armed with what Moro's squad hands them coming out.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #99 on: 22 November 2018, 17:13:15 »
You were talking about those extra thugs. But I've been wondering how they would fit in. The Troopers will notice if they suddenly have extra infantry.

Breaking into a prison isn't that hard. Prison's are designed to keep people in. Not keep people out. The easiest believable way to involve them is if they just happen to already be in the prison, they are criminals after all. Or we ignore the sidestory about them getting inside.

Moro's a mechwarrior isn't he? It would be odd enough with him in the Karnov. But if he is then I imagine he'll just have to link up with the thugs on the inside and join them for his criminal liberation and wetwork campaign. Then manage to find his way back in time for extraction.

I also assume they'll have their own extraction plan to escape with their criminals. Otherwise Moro has to explain on the Karnov while he picked up extra passengers who may or may not be known criminals.

"I just brought two people aboard! They seem really nice!"
"Aren't those guys both mob bosses?"
"Complete Accidentai!"
"Was that a weird sudden italien accent?"
« Last Edit: 22 November 2018, 17:27:24 by Kitsune413 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #100 on: 22 November 2018, 17:23:19 »
Moro started life as an Anti-Mech infantryman back during Anton's revolt.  It took him 15 years to make good on Anton's promise of "mechs for loyalty".  Through character creation (using AToW), he ended up with 7 levels of Small Arms, and a host of other "useful" skills.  He's not any happier about going in on foot than anyone else.  But when the Family asks, you do what you have to.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #101 on: 22 November 2018, 17:32:50 »
Elmoth, since I'm only buying one additional squad of jump troops, can I get them to Veteran with only 5 points (1/3 of a whole platoon's cost)?

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #102 on: 22 November 2018, 18:12:18 »
Wish I knew how the Op was going to go down. I could GM your prison run for you in ATOW if Elmoth didn't mind. Gonna be out of time again soon.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #103 on: 22 November 2018, 18:15:27 »
My only concern with all this is that we lose a Medium Mech for the assault.
Here’s hoping we’re not facing more than a lance...

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #104 on: 22 November 2018, 18:19:43 »
It's going to hurt, but that's kind of the point.  La Famiglia does what it can to get its way.

Kitsune, I'm good with you running the AToW bit if Elmoth is (and I think he will be).  I'm mostly free all weekend, though we've postponed Thanksgiving dinner to tomorrow evening (timing just didn't work out for the cooking today; traffic delayed us so long yesterday the normal pre-cooking didn't get done until today).

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #105 on: 23 November 2018, 01:57:01 »
@Daryk. Seems legit to have the squad as veterans. As said, those are guidelines for us to build a believable unit, not hard rules. On the other hand,we look more and more.like a unit that has been fighting for decades than a recently formed one xD We will have few space for improvement in the end.

Regarding Moro, I would keep him in the mech. He can talk with Cornelia Ryan and ask for the additional footslogger work. These are kind of side missions that can be achieved easily enough. If she does not want to accept, a 2 week trip to the prison complex will help him dentify a few basic paratroopers that are willing to do these jobs for a price, I guess. It is not that he is changing the primary target of the mission, just adding to it. And liberating extra prisoners was suggested as an option to sow chaos.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #106 on: 23 November 2018, 03:21:56 »
One of the features of the extra squad is that they'll know some of the extra people being extracted (and speak Italian).  They're also there to make sure the other two targets don't make it.  Moro might be able to get one of the target cells with the Blazer Cannon, but the squad is extra insurance.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #107 on: 23 November 2018, 06:54:40 »
Ok, I have to say I am a little bit lost on what we are fielding in the end after this last infantry stuff moving up and down  :P so I will do a roll call:

NAV ALPHA
Warhammer 6k.
Veteran (Gustav Strom)
Tech team
11 spares

DARYK
Wolverine 6M (customized with a Blazer cannon)
Stefano Moro (veteran)
Engineer squad
-->>>> Did you change Martha for the engineer squad? I can put Martha in general rsources easily but I am not very clear on what you are adding here.
Tech team
5 spares?

ELMOTH
Wolverine 6M (brand and shinny new)
Anton Gilenius (Green)
Jump Platoon (competent)
Karnov (green)
Tech team
5 spares

ALPHA MIRAGE
Phoenix hawk
Qasim ibn Fawzi al'Dabih (veteran)
Striker tank (green)
Tech team
7 spares

SHARPNEL
Spad 502
Sabre 27
Badrani and Akane (competent pilots)
Tech team
2 Spares

KITSUNE413
Paramedic squad led by a veteran doctor (veterans)
Combat engineer platoon (veteran)
Foot platoon (green)
Kestrel VTOL (competent)
MASH truck
Tech team
9 spares

GENERAL ASSETS
Mortorized infantry platton LRM (green)
2 Scorpions
2 Scorpions (LRM)
Half a dozen Flatbed trucks
Cargo ferret VTOL
Heavy recovery vehicle "Martha" if Daryk is puting the points somewhere else.
1 hover ambulance APC
2 tech teams
15 spares

Is that right?

We end up with:
- 4 mechs (warhammer, 2 wolverines, phoenix hawk)
- 2 ASF (Spad & Sabre)
- 5 combat vehicles (striker, 2 normal scorpions, 2 LRM scorpions)
- 4 infantry platoons (jump, green infantry x2, engineer) + an extra engineer squad of italian bias.
- paramedic squad
- Kestrel and Karnov

Add to that 8 tech teams and assorted maintenance/cargo vehicles.
And a dropship. 

A lot of people. Monthly basic maintenance costs goes up to 32 Spares/resource points. 33 if we count the italian mafia engineers. Sounds like my mission payment estimates might have been too low.

Seems we have ended up fielding an infantry company supported by a mech lance.

NOTE: I did not count the MASH truck, the flatbeds, the cargo ferret or the heavy recovery vehicle as combat assets, so they do not cost maintenance points to simplify
« Last Edit: 23 November 2018, 07:05:12 by Elmoth »

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #108 on: 23 November 2018, 07:37:41 »
OK, Escenario suggestions:

1. MECHS
I will let someone define this one.
We have 4 mechs, 2 ASF and we can count on indirect long range fire from the Striker and LRM scorpions.
Opposition: turrets (green), 1D6+2 scorpions (green) and roll 1D6 for mech (competent): 1-2: no mechs, 3-6: 3 light mechs (1 locust + 2 commandos)
Opposition starts near the gates and in reserve inside the complex (half of their forces).
NOte: 4 Scorpions (green) + competent mechs (centurion, 2 commandos 1 locust) cost the same as our forces inclusing the 3 LRM vehicles (scorpions + striker). 220. Feel free to add or substract from that as you please. It is suggested that we have the upper hand here, either by location of the enemies or because we have the upper hand in equipment.

Objective: blast the turrets so the karnov can land for the extraction. Intro will be done by high altitude drop, so that is not the problem.
Similar escenario design to that of the HBS prison break

Potential complications:
- The enemy also has a medium mech, like a Centurion.
- a few medium fighters appear in the radar
- a vehicle lance appears o the edge of the map. 1: hover, 2-3: wheeled, 4-5: armor, 6: VTOL // 1 artillery, 2-5 direct fire units, 6 other.
- landslide due to the rains!

2. PRISON INFANTRY OPS
Run a RPG session or a small scale askirmish game.
Think about a favela-like prison: Guards look more like military types on a warzone than blue cops on a stroll.

Escenario: heavy construction area (the interior of buildings. some open spaces if you want to play in the patios of the prison as well. CQB oriented. Short firing lines. The guards start spread around the map in groups of 2-5 with a few concentrations of 7 (squad) in certain areas. There are around 50 of them.

It is assumed that the drop was successful.
They have a map of the faciluty so know where the party is located.

Our Forces. 30 jump infantry (regular), 7 italian engineers (veteran). leader: Cornelia Ryan.
Opposition: prison guards. armed like the paratroopers. They can be competent or green. Roll 1D6 each time a group of guards is encountered. 1-4 green, 5-6 regular. the guards move randomly and move to the sound of gunfire if they are near enough (30 cm in a regular 6x4 table). Guards are not interested in dying for a cause, so will retreat if facing insurmountable odds. Opposition is armed with stun batons, rifles and

The mission: Must be in and out in 12 rounds max or complications start to spring up. If there was no enemies in sight it would take 4 rounds to go to Cara's location and 4 more to go back. In whatever method you are using to count time (minutes, combat rounds, actual game hours...). Tempos assume the engineers blow all the doors at the first try and there are no complications in the way in or out.

Possible complications:
1- all the prisoner rooms are opened and "civilians" sprawl into the area. More than a few have small weapons with them. Most of them do not care about the soldiers, though.
2- a crack contention SWAT team (veterans or elite) is mobilized to intercept the raiders.
3- a light mech intercept the party on the way out
4- the prisoner is not where it was supposed to be
5- the prisoner opposes heavy resistance (has a competent squad with her)
6- another party tries to flee alongside the troopers
7- 2 bands take the confusion to square it out between themselves and the party is caught in the crossfire.
8- ...

being a BT prison, obviously the priso0ners have access to regular weaponry if not to body armor.

PLaying it in 40k.
- Use veteran imperial guards for the engineers
- use regular imperial guard for the jump infantry and prison guards.
« Last Edit: 23 November 2018, 08:40:56 by Elmoth »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #109 on: 23 November 2018, 07:39:34 »
I think my points are as follows:

Customized WVR-6M: 64 + 5 for the Blazer Cannon customization
Martha (Heavy Battlemech Recovery Vehicle): 6
Veteran status for Moro: 5
Tech team: 10
Veteran Squad of Jump Troops (Forza Deici): 10

The squad's skills cover Security Systems, but not necessarily as "Engineers" (I'm thinking lock picks and vibroblades).  They also speak Italian fluently.  They're there to get the other list of people out and make sure two others don't make it.  Eventually, I'll want to upgrade their weapons, but 9 Auto-Rifles and a single Heavy Grenade Launcher (6 points of damage at 1/2/3 range, 1 at S at the Alpha Strike level) will do for now.   They also have the good (camouflaged) surplus Lyran body armor and helmets, to include respirators should they decide to use tear gas (in the grenade launcher).  I don't know if that gives them 1 or 2 dots for Armor in Alpha Strike, but I'm certain they only have 1 Structure.

I'll have to look over the scenarios when I get back from the store...

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #110 on: 23 November 2018, 07:56:57 »
Dryk: "Where's my Blazer? I must have a Blazzer!"

Me: *Hands Daryk a navy blue dress jacket, double-breasted with brass buttons* "Here you go"
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #111 on: 23 November 2018, 08:08:01 »
Navy blue dress jacket, double-breasted with brass buttons

That is how I expect Stefano to dress when not in the mech or a desert climate, yup.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #112 on: 23 November 2018, 09:33:50 »
Blazer Cannons for all my friends!  :D

Forza Deici will also have spare respirators and pistols for the folks we're extracting.  Once they're all wearing them, it's tear gas for everybody else.  So, gas chamber training for the jump troops too...  >:D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #113 on: 23 November 2018, 11:12:50 »
All right, those of you demanding Moro wear a blazer off duty win...  I think I found an appropriate pair of images for him.  In one, he's "cleaned up" for a "Family" visit.  The other is a little more relaxed.  Listening to the Killers' "The Man" and a little Bacardi helped in the search...  ;D

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #114 on: 23 November 2018, 14:48:20 »
I agree that the prison is a crazy gulag.

Two complications I see for the ATOW Prison break:

1. complicated layout - characters would have to make navigation checks because high security prisons are designed so that you have no idea where you are in the building.
2. Maglock doors. Requiring an engineer or character with mechanics to get through. Demolitions to get through or killing the power to the facility by having the mechs destroy generators.

The killing power to the facility route obviously letting everyone out of their jail cells.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #115 on: 23 November 2018, 14:50:29 »
Maglock doors are horrible security for exactly that reason.  Being that it's a women's prison, is it really a super-max?

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #116 on: 23 November 2018, 14:55:56 »
They can work in reverse too, being fail-secure, or their bolt stays in place when the power goes out...

would be an OSHA violation though.

The other issue is that if the mechs blow the power generators then the extraction team has to do the op in the dark.

I'd say the difference between the supermax and the normal prison is that the normal one may be less labyrinth in design.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #117 on: 23 November 2018, 14:56:59 »
Forza Deici has IR and Night Vision, so no problem on their end.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #118 on: 23 November 2018, 17:03:41 »
Heh... if the kid lives that long.

EDIT: Just using some of those 5 levels of Leadership on the kid... I mean, if Ryan isn't going to... :)
« Last Edit: 23 November 2018, 17:25:53 by Daryk »

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #119 on: 23 November 2018, 17:32:31 »
Yeah. right now he is a sucker. He will evolve, eventually, but right now, no, he is what he is.