Author Topic: MechWarrior: Destiny  (Read 133072 times)

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
Re: MechWarrior: Destiny
« Reply #390 on: 21 September 2019, 09:07:23 »
From going over the pdf, I would say that it is not my style of RPG. ;)

Overall my impression is that it is at the same time too restrictive and too free at the same time.
Too restrictive, in structuring the narrative part on a meta level and too free in not giving players any guideline to choose fitting choices to change the world around them.

Letting people choose on the spot what an item should do, what NPC should appear or what event should happen and then having a discussion in the moment if those choices fit, seems like an invitation to a lot of out of character player level discussions.
All in all it leaves the GM in the unenviable situation of playing referee without complete authority about the world and what can and cannot happen and no hard rule set as a reference basis.

I imagine those player huddles around the referee in soccer and actually inviting those and at the same time taking away a few hard rules from the referee. ;)

From the outside that could be entertaining too, don't know if it is helpful for a cohesive in game story narrative.
Although, in that case I'm missing rules for player conflict resolution (not char conflict), I'm thinking trial by combat perhaps?

Anyway, it may work with specific groups and at worst it will probably show faster  than a more rules heavy RPG if a group likes the same style of RPG play, which is something.
For me it gave me some appreciation for more strongly defined rules as they streamline decision processes even if they bog down sometimes on the details.

Mukaikubo

• Corporal
« Reply #391 on: 21 September 2019, 09:09:52 »
After a page by page read through I have to say I will not be beta testing this RPG.
I could not present this game to my group with a strait face.

The Bad
From what I have read, this is not a role playing, it's a high-school drama club script writing meeting.
The game flow is simplistic to say the lest.
Character creation is limited at best, mindless at worst.
The opposed skill system is so random as to make have high skills a waste. A seasoned trained doctor can fail a tonsillectomy, just because the GM rolled well.
The narrative turn system will be a rule laws/powergamers paradise. Forcing the GM to spend session after secession raining them in.
Overall the game is a players storytelling secession not a rpg.

The Good
The mech-combat damage system has promise as a optional damage system for Alpha strike/Battleforce.
It Would work well to relive the complaints about the sameness of Battlemechs in those system.
Could also be used in AToW with some modifications to give a option to avoid a TW bogging down there game.

So as I see no way this game will be playable by me or my players without over a 2/3 rewrite, so for those that like this kind of game I will not waste CGL and my time, since there is no way that CGL could even make this game playable by me without making it unplayable to those that like this type of game.

So, first, I will note that I'm fully aware this isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine, just like the poster above you noted. It's a very different style of RPG, and for those who don't like it, ATOW is- as the book takes extreme pains to emphasize- still there, and is still going to get supported going forward.

That said, I have to push back against a few of the things you said here, which I know is hyperbole (on the internet, forsooth!) but I don't want to go entirely unchallenged. I'm going to go from the bottom up of your bad notes and kind of dig into some of the things you don't like about it, and discuss that.

"The narrative turn system will be a rule laws/powergamers paradise. Forcing the GM to spend session after secession raining them in."

If you have a group that keeps on doing that after being politely brushed back and after reading the rules, you have a group that's not interested in this style of game. That's not a bad thing, it just means the group is after diffferent methods of fun. Broadly speaking, and reaching back into the hoary old (and oversimplified!) theory from Edwards to try to explain this, there's a few non-mutually-exclusive ways to have fun with a role playing game. Two of those are the gamist style, where the fun comes from following a rigid set of rules and beating them, and the narrativist style, where the fun comes from the storytelling. Most groups- most games- have a balance of those and other ways of having fun. A system like Destiny shifts the lever over mostly, but not entirely, to the narrativist viewpoint, because it's very up front and explicit that the game is about cooperatively telling a story.

What a lot of traditional games like the D&D family have in common is that they work with a gamist sort of fun by encouraging an adversarial relationship, in game, between the players and the GM. The GM sets up a challenge for the players to defeat within the rules, and then the players beat it. Rinse and repeat. The GM is also in sole control of the story to shape a progressive set of challenges towards a goal, and the players have to overcome each of these  challenges in turn. That is a common way of doing things! But that's not necessarily what Destiny is asking a group to do. Instead of an adversarial model- which breeds powergaming and rules lawyers- Destiny and other games like it advocate for a cooperative model. The point isn't necessarily for the GM to make a fight and the players to win it. The point is for the GM and players to work together to weave a story out of challenges. The GM has more input than the players on what these are, but not sole input- that's the entire point of the Narration system, to be sure everyone is included in building the world and story. If you go into it thinking that your job as a player is just to win, then yeah, you can break that system over your knee. And you're not playing a game that's catering to how you want to have fun. There's Traditional GM style rules, but they read a little awkwardly to my eye, like it's something bolted on at the last second that doesn't really fit how the rest of the system flows.

"The opposed skill system is so random as to make have high skills a waste. A seasoned trained doctor can fail a tonsillectomy, just because the GM rolled well."

To me, the golden rule- and this is something I wish Destiny and many other systems emphasized- is that you should only make players roll dice if failure is narratively interesting. If it's something that the player should reasonably be able to do without struggle, then hell, let them do it. A tonsillectomy? I would never ask a player to roll that. A tonsillectomy on the Archon's heir, on a burning dropship, with klaxons going on and a DEST strike team coming? Heck yeah you're gonna roll for that, because screwing that up could lead to some interesting story directions.

That said, I am a little chary of having skill resolution always be roll against roll, and not roll against static number. The probability on those is a lot harder to empirically get your hands around which makes balancing a little difficult. It's something I'm willing to let work out in play. Toying around on anydice, I THINK there's something like a 55% chance to hit someone when you have equal modifiers (including ties), 66% chance if you have 1 more, 76% if you have 2 more, etc etc, with 90% chance if you have 4 more and 97% chance if you have 6 more. But I'm still not entirely sure how that'll go in practice yet.

"Character creation is limited at best, mindless at worst."

Limited? Probably I'll agree to that. Mindless? I don't see that at all. There's not a lot of math, but there's not supposed to be; the entire philosophy of the system is something you can jump into quickly. Something the book dances around without making explicit is that it prefers if a group make their characters together, bouncing ideas off of each other to form a group of characters with interlocking narrative hooks, and not an isolated set of mathematically optimal sheets. In the same way D&D has gone to a more streamlined approach to character creation recently, so a lot of games are- asking new players to spend a lot of time in creation is becoming less and less popular.

"From what I have read, this is not a role playing, it's a high-school drama club script writing meeting."

This one appears to be born out of an understandable frustration that you're getting a style of game that you don't personally enjoy, but I have to tell you it's entirely wrong. Role playing is a very broad umbrella. What you're responding to is the fact that a lot of RPGs as we know them have their roots in tabletop wargaming, with the inclusive of story-driven elements being something coming from a different, storytelling wellspring of ideas. In the end, players are assuming some character role and helping to tell a story constrained by a set of mechanical rules. That's it. That's all you have to be to be a roleplaying game. There's an entire submarket of tabletop RPGs that has even *less* rules and even *more* story-driven philosophy than Destiny, believe it or not, and those are RPGs too. It's a terrible thing to assume that only the things you like have worth.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #392 on: 21 September 2019, 09:18:59 »
The script writing aspect really comes down a lot of things that are assumed away when you agree to use a certain rule set being up for debate, all the time, and especially in the heat of the moment.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #393 on: 21 September 2019, 09:41:31 »
Looks like it’s

Primer - jump in - basic gameplay - complete creation rules

Unsure if that’s a good format but that appears to be the flow

it's a popular thing right now, to get players to learn all the rules before they make a character. counter productive in my experience, but RPGs is an industry that likes to try and make things work (since most of it is former GMs, i assume- being handed hot garbage from the players and forced to turn it into a working story is the whole game for them)
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #394 on: 21 September 2019, 10:09:26 »
Based on a quick read, there are far too many sample characters. It was a slog going through them all and I didn’t see the need for them. Even if you trim them out you need to place them so they don’t break up the flow of the book. The sample adventure also seems oddly placed.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #395 on: 21 September 2019, 10:09:44 »
I don't really get the point of the Cues it seems like a waste of time to me.  What am I not getting. They seem like a waste of time

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #396 on: 21 September 2019, 10:16:01 »
Anyway, it may work with specific groups and at worst it will probably show faster  than a more rules heavy RPG if a group likes the same style of RPG play, which is something.

Well it is a beta so why not try it out? It is more of a storytelling RPG than a guided adventure. They sound chaotic at first but they allow the players to engage in the game more directly and require a more fluid style of GMing. Or perhaps a less rigid style.

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #397 on: 21 September 2019, 10:19:51 »
BTW is this a 3025 era or a Clan era game? I am not sure why the Clan equipment is there if the game is set in 3025

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #398 on: 21 September 2019, 10:22:54 »
Sounds like this is meant to be more of an entry level game in which case lots of sample characters makes sense.  It's less a case of "here's what you can do with this system," and more, "not sure what kind of character you want to build? Try one of these."
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #399 on: 21 September 2019, 10:25:49 »
I don't really get the point of the Cues it seems like a waste of time to me.  What am I not getting. They seem like a waste of time

It seems as if they are trying to take a page from the Fate rules. The Cues seem to be defining statements about your character that you use to help move the narrative and act as elements the GM can use to push characters into specific actions. The problem to me seems to be that there are so many of them and that the samples are really vague. I think it would be better if there were fewer of them and they were more distinct

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #400 on: 21 September 2019, 10:30:22 »
To me, the golden rule- and this is something I wish Destiny and many other systems emphasized- is that you should only make players roll dice if failure is narratively interesting.

This.

Unless there is an interesting narrative turn involved in them failing an easy task then there shouldn’t be a reason to roll dice.

In the Heroquest rules they even give specific advice on this. Only make a player roll if failing will move the narrative of the game.

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #401 on: 21 September 2019, 10:36:16 »
It seems as if they are trying to take a page from the Fate rules. The Cues seem to be defining statements about your character that you use to help move the narrative and act as elements the GM can use to push characters into specific actions. The problem to me seems to be that there are so many of them and that the samples are really vague. I think it would be better if there were fewer of them and they were more distinct
for me the cues look just like notes someone would make to define his character.
Without a requirement to use them or use them in a consistent way, I kind of miss the functional aspect behind them when talking about a "Cue system".

General308

• Captain
« Reply #402 on: 21 September 2019, 10:39:13 »
for me the cues look just like notes someone would make to define his character.
Without a requirement to use them or use them in a consistent way, I kind of miss the functional aspect behind them when talking about a "Cue system".

That is kind of how I see it.  It is a waste of space in the book and on the record sheet.  I don't see were it has real impact on the game.

Mukaikubo

• Corporal
« Reply #403 on: 21 September 2019, 10:41:46 »

I agree. I don't think there's a mechanical purpose behind them, but they act as seeds/ideas you can use to build your narrations off of. They're writing prompts, in a sense, only formalized somewhat. They named the system after them, I think, because the improvisational aspect is *that important* to how the rules function and they wanted to center that in everyone's mind, and the Cues help keep the improv flowing.

BTW is this a 3025 era or a Clan era game? I am not sure why the Clan equipment is there if the game is set in 3025

It's 3025-*focused* with some Clan rules for Invasion games. Notably there's not really rules for IS level 2 stuff, though it wouldn't be hard to patch that in given all the examples of weapons and gear we already have.

Based on a quick read, there are far too many sample characters. It was a slog going through them all and I didn’t see the need for them. Even if you trim them out you need to place them so they don’t break up the flow of the book. The sample adventure also seems oddly placed.

That said, I kind of agree with this. It broke up the flow of the book and it seemed like there were a few too many. The gameplay examples were well placed and peppered throughout, and I might even want to see some more of those instead. Maybe an example of aero/tank combat.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #404 on: 21 September 2019, 10:44:41 »
Another thing from my first two read throughs I don't like.  Is the limited amount of weapons and no fluff for the weapons.  Fluff is really important in a RPG.   The limited number of weapons in the book makes it kind of meh.    Unless they are also planning to do a Equipment book of some sort at release which would solve that problem.

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #405 on: 21 September 2019, 10:50:32 »
That is kind of how I see it.  It is a waste of space in the book and on the record sheet.  I don't see were it has real impact on the game.
well in a game where the naration turn comes around to you whether you currently have something useful to contribute or not having some talking points is helpful as a starting point.
Just make sure you have "Weather" and "Philosophy on topic X" on your default cue list, then you will always have a bit of small talk at hand. :)

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #406 on: 21 September 2019, 10:56:02 »
I wonder if the Cues are inspired by D&D 5th ed's backgrounds or vice versa?   More or less the same function except 5th's backgrounds do have a game play mechanic of awarding inspiration.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #407 on: 21 September 2019, 11:26:41 »
I wonder if the Cues are inspired by D&D 5th ed's backgrounds or vice versa?   More or less the same function except 5th's backgrounds do have a game play mechanic of awarding inspiration.

I would say no to that.

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #408 on: 21 September 2019, 11:33:07 »
well in a game where the narration turn comes around to you whether you currently have something useful to contribute or not having some talking points is helpful as a starting point.

They do refer to them in the rules as a way for the player or the GM to keep the player on course when they need to, or want to, but for that to work I think that they need to be less of them and have them better defined. Some of the sample characters have Cues that do that (Lovisa Bjornstrom on page 107 for example has 'Did I mention I hate the Combine') but others seem unnecessarily vague and not too useful. Joshua Maron on page 109 has 'What?' as a Cue. To which I can only ask 'What?'?

Traits and Cues seem to be the same thing with one being specified in the rules and the other a freeform improv type thing.

I think a character should have 5 Cues and Traits total and make them core to the character and not so general.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #409 on: 21 September 2019, 11:47:41 »
This goes to the drama club comparison.
The sound more like actor stage directions then anything.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #410 on: 21 September 2019, 11:59:12 »
So, first, I will note that I'm fully aware this isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine, just like the poster above you noted. It's a very different style of RPG, and for those who don't like it, ATOW is- as the book takes extreme pains to emphasize- still there, and is still going to get supported going forward.

That said, I have to push back against a few of the things you said here, which I know is hyperbole (on the internet, forsooth!) but I don't want to go entirely unchallenged. I'm going to go from the bottom up of your bad notes and kind of dig into some of the things you don't like about it, and discuss that.

"The narrative turn system will be a rule laws/powergamers paradise. Forcing the GM to spend session after secession raining them in."

If you have a group that keeps on doing that after being politely brushed back and after reading the rules, you have a group that's not interested in this style of game. That's not a bad thing, it just means the group is after diffferent methods of fun. Broadly speaking, and reaching back into the hoary old (and oversimplified!) theory from Edwards to try to explain this, there's a few non-mutually-exclusive ways to have fun with a role playing game. Two of those are the gamist style, where the fun comes from following a rigid set of rules and beating them, and the narrativist style, where the fun comes from the storytelling. Most groups- most games- have a balance of those and other ways of having fun. A system like Destiny shifts the lever over mostly, but not entirely, to the narrativist viewpoint, because it's very up front and explicit that the game is about cooperatively telling a story.

What a lot of traditional games like the D&D family have in common is that they work with a gamist sort of fun by encouraging an adversarial relationship, in game, between the players and the GM. The GM sets up a challenge for the players to defeat within the rules, and then the players beat it. Rinse and repeat. The GM is also in sole control of the story to shape a progressive set of challenges towards a goal, and the players have to overcome each of these  challenges in turn. That is a common way of doing things! But that's not necessarily what Destiny is asking a group to do. Instead of an adversarial model- which breeds powergaming and rules lawyers- Destiny and other games like it advocate for a cooperative model. The point isn't necessarily for the GM to make a fight and the players to win it. The point is for the GM and players to work together to weave a story out of challenges. The GM has more input than the players on what these are, but not sole input- that's the entire point of the Narration system, to be sure everyone is included in building the world and story. If you go into it thinking that your job as a player is just to win, then yeah, you can break that system over your knee. And you're not playing a game that's catering to how you want to have fun. There's Traditional GM style rules, but they read a little awkwardly to my eye, like it's something bolted on at the last second that doesn't really fit how the rest of the system flows.

"The opposed skill system is so random as to make have high skills a waste. A seasoned trained doctor can fail a tonsillectomy, just because the GM rolled well."

To me, the golden rule- and this is something I wish Destiny and many other systems emphasized- is that you should only make players roll dice if failure is narratively interesting. If it's something that the player should reasonably be able to do without struggle, then hell, let them do it. A tonsillectomy? I would never ask a player to roll that. A tonsillectomy on the Archon's heir, on a burning dropship, with klaxons going on and a DEST strike team coming? Heck yeah you're gonna roll for that, because screwing that up could lead to some interesting story directions.

That said, I am a little chary of having skill resolution always be roll against roll, and not roll against static number. The probability on those is a lot harder to empirically get your hands around which makes balancing a little difficult. It's something I'm willing to let work out in play. Toying around on anydice, I THINK there's something like a 55% chance to hit someone when you have equal modifiers (including ties), 66% chance if you have 1 more, 76% if you have 2 more, etc etc, with 90% chance if you have 4 more and 97% chance if you have 6 more. But I'm still not entirely sure how that'll go in practice yet.

"Character creation is limited at best, mindless at worst."

Limited? Probably I'll agree to that. Mindless? I don't see that at all. There's not a lot of math, but there's not supposed to be; the entire philosophy of the system is something you can jump into quickly. Something the book dances around without making explicit is that it prefers if a group make their characters together, bouncing ideas off of each other to form a group of characters with interlocking narrative hooks, and not an isolated set of mathematically optimal sheets. In the same way D&D has gone to a more streamlined approach to character creation recently, so a lot of games are- asking new players to spend a lot of time in creation is becoming less and less popular.

"From what I have read, this is not a role playing, it's a high-school drama club script writing meeting."

This one appears to be born out of an understandable frustration that you're getting a style of game that you don't personally enjoy, but I have to tell you it's entirely wrong. Role playing is a very broad umbrella. What you're responding to is the fact that a lot of RPGs as we know them have their roots in tabletop wargaming, with the inclusive of story-driven elements being something coming from a different, storytelling wellspring of ideas. In the end, players are assuming some character role and helping to tell a story constrained by a set of mechanical rules. That's it. That's all you have to be to be a roleplaying game. There's an entire submarket of tabletop RPGs that has even *less* rules and even *more* story-driven philosophy than Destiny, believe it or not, and those are RPGs too. It's a terrible thing to assume that only the things you like have worth.

First, play what you like. :thumbsup:
Second, while I don't take offence this was my opinion not fact.
So challenging my opinion seems to be a wast of your time any mine.
As I said at the end there will be people that like this type of game, I don't no any personally, but I know they exist.
And the overall point was it was not advantages to me to spend the time trying to change this into a game I would play or wast CGL time reading responses from me about the system that I'm not the target for and help other that have the same gaming preferences from wasting yours and their time.
« Last Edit: 21 September 2019, 12:01:27 by victor_shaw »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #411 on: 21 September 2019, 12:22:27 »
I do fear that not enough RPGers do like this cue/narrative system and that power gamers are far too common for this to work like CGL hopes.

But I am not going to stand in their way or shout "DOOM!" over this.

I will just hope they re-vamp AToW to be less daunting for character creation, better organized, and doing a better job of embracing/supporting the neo-feudalistic nature of the official setting.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #412 on: 21 September 2019, 12:23:23 »
I do fear that not enough RPGers do like this cue/narrative system and that power gamers are far too common for this to work like CGL hopes.

But I am not going to stand in their way or shout "DOOM!" over this.

I will just hope they re-vamp AToW to be less daunting for character creation, better organized, and doing a better job of embracing/supporting the neo-feudalistic nature of the official setting.

+1

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #413 on: 21 September 2019, 12:26:40 »
Other RPs have similar character creation. Every RP system tends to be ' love it or hate it' so I don't any one system will get universal love by fans.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #414 on: 21 September 2019, 12:43:24 »

The Cue system or variants of it are in a lot of systems. It’s a fairly major theme in a lot of RPGs like Fate, Dungeon World, HeroQuest, Apocalypse System etc.

If a GM knows that there are power gamers in their group then they need to either pick a system that works for them and if this isn’t a good match then don’t use it.

I suspect that this system is intended to be for new RPGers or people new to Battletech who want to run an RPG in the universe.

It’s actually a more modern system and fits into the current scheme of non-D&D rpgs than many people may realise

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #415 on: 21 September 2019, 12:51:16 »
It’s actually a more modern system and fits into the current scheme of non-D&D rpgs than many people may realise

Yeah, like I said upthread Destiny is a lot closer to the kinds of games that get run frequently at cons here.  It could definitely have a life as an alternate BattleTech RPG
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #416 on: 21 September 2019, 12:57:55 »
The Cue system or variants of it are in a lot of systems. It’s a fairly major theme in a lot of RPGs like Fate, Dungeon World, HeroQuest, Apocalypse System etc.

If a GM knows that there are power gamers in their group then they need to either pick a system that works for them and if this isn’t a good match then don’t use it.

I suspect that this system is intended to be for new RPGers or people new to Battletech who want to run an RPG in the universe.

While I don't disagree with most of what you have said, I do have to challenge the idea that the modern system model is so overwhelmingly popular as some would think.
The top sellers to this day are still games like pathfinder and D&D, and the push-back on Pathfinder 2nd ed and Shadowrun 6th, and the backlash on D&D 4th ed show that the crunch gamers are sill the majority of the market.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #417 on: 21 September 2019, 13:04:40 »
Yeah, like I said upthread Destiny is a lot closer to the kinds of games that get run frequently at cons here.  It could definitely have a life as an alternate BattleTech RPG

As long as it never thins CGL's resources in other areas I am perfectly fine with it existing for players that like that type of game.
First time Illclan, Battletech, Alpha strike, Etc. gets held up for it I will have an issues.
Already not a fan of the fact that AToW is on hold for its development, as the game has been in a holding patter for awhile now, and is effective ou of print in dead-tree format.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #418 on: 21 September 2019, 13:15:12 »
Jut want to bring up so it doesn't get lost.
I like what was done in the Mech-combat system and think it has utility in AToW and Alpha Strike.
But that is not a discussion for this thread so I will be posting about it latter (going out for my birthday dinner soon) in the AToW 2nd thread.
If you want to discussion this I will see you there later.

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #419 on: 21 September 2019, 13:28:50 »
and on a marketing note, if a company intends to maintain two RPG systems in the same universe, it does make sense to put them notably on different ends of the spectrum. Otherwise you waste a lot of resources if they are too similar and people just see Destiny as a house-ruled AToW with the to be expected complaints why the changes weren't integrated in AToW in the first place.

Register