Author Topic: Where are rules for more than two players found?  (Read 2459 times)

Spheroid

• Master Sergeant
Where are rules for more than two players found?
« on: 25 July 2011, 02:47:13 »
Specifically a Mexican standoff or FFA type situation.

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
Re: Where are rules for more than two players found?
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2011, 02:50:47 »
There are no extra rules required for multiple-faction scenarios, just have each of the sides roll their initiative as normal, loser moves a unit first, winner moves a unit last.

Did you have any questions in particular when playing such a scenario?

Skraag

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2011, 03:12:45 »
Apart from the fact that multi-faction-scenarios can be a pain to balance there are no additionals rules needed.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2011, 10:46:51 »
One small house rule that we use for a large # of players each fielding 1-2 mechs/units,
(Gladiator/Solaris/Grand Melee type games.)
Is instead of everyone rolling 2D6 like normal and dealing w/ all those rolls & the ties that result etc etc.... is to use a Deck of cars or 3x5 index cards.
For a GM'd game it works best if you have everyone right their name on a 3x5 card and the GM just mixes them up and then flips them over 1 at a time and that player moves.
For a Non-GM'd game where everyone plays you can take a deck of cards,  say all the hearts, and just deal them out each turn w/ Ace "winning" and everyone else going in order down to the 2 or lowest card, etc etc.
Then reshuffle every turn.

This works best for "big circle" games w/ only a couple units each.

If what your doing is a 3 person or 4 person game that each field a large # of units then do initiative like normal IHMO w/ 2D6 and moving 1 or more units at a time.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Peleandros

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2011, 11:17:33 »
Just an addendum.  If you use the playing cards for the initiative, you can use one color or suit for each side, so it could work for up to 4 different sides having up to 13 units a side.  That's the system we use for our games, the bad guys are usually spades or clubs, and the good guys are always the hearts.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here." - Jayne, Firefly (The Train Job)

bakija

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2011, 13:11:07 »
Specifically a Mexican standoff or FFA type situation.

Like, what kind of rules are you looking for, exactly?

The existing initiative rules work fine regardless of number of players (everybody takes a turn moving a unit in order, etc.) What other rules could you need?

Mostly, I'm just confused.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2011, 13:38:13 »
For a Non-GM'd game where everyone plays you can take a deck of cards,  say all the hearts, and just deal them out each turn w/ Ace "winning" and everyone else going in order down to the 2 or lowest card, etc etc.
Then reshuffle every turn.

That's how I handle it, whenever I play larger games - for that reason I always have a deck of cards in my mini case (and a few more at home, in case it gets lost at a convention). It also helps me running things since I don't have to remember the names of all the guys at the table I don't know.
"It's the ace's turn." sounds far better than "you there, the guy who obviously has no shower at home, it's your turn" ;)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2011, 08:01:24 »
Uno cards work well also. I prefer the colors to suits.
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2011, 16:09:16 »
There are no "rules" for multi-player BT (AFAIK), but they tend to fall into the following categories:

Free-for-all: three or more sides each with their own agenda facing off against everybody else. (played one of these with double [triple?] blind rules... GM nearly had a conniption...

Teams: works best with even numbers, but can also work as 1 v. 2 or 2 v. 3+, where each side has the same agenda and is facing the opposing team.

Gangbang: one veteran player v. 2+ opponents; different from "teams" in the comparative experience of the players

Multi-point; works best with five players (each representing its own house, clan, group or interest); can be done "BT" style: 5 houses; each is opposed by the two flanking houses [i.e. Liao is opposed by Davion & Marik], while the other two houses are its nominal allies [in the Liao example, Steiner and Kurita are its not-enemies] or it can be played M:tG style: the two players/factions next to each player are its allies and the two across the table its enemies. A GM is pretty much mandatory for a smooth game; works best when each player/faction has its own victory conditions.

High-Low: one pair of players takes care of the air war, the other pair the ground war... as a variation: one player controls one side's air and ground forces, while another controls the opposition's aerospace forces and the remaining player the opposing ground forces (heck; a third player could handle a wet navy battle!). For the truly adventurous, have a non-wargamer play a monopoly game simultaneously... using 'mech minis as tokens, of course. :D
« Last Edit: 26 July 2011, 16:13:03 by Fireangel »

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2011, 12:35:44 »
The cards things works well.  If you are stuck with dice, everyone rolls initiative as normal with the lowest roll moving first and moving up from there.  Re-roll any ties.
If it's just teams then one person from each team rolls initiative and you go back and forth between the teams regardless of how many is on each side..

Register