Author Topic: Regimental / Company Weight  (Read 4693 times)

darknihilyst

• Recruit
Regimental / Company Weight
« on: 13 January 2021, 09:18:08 »
Hey guys,

I've fallen into the rabbit hole of force building for an upcoming campaign we are a planning.

My question is this: What does a 'Heavy' Regiment / Battalion / Company entail? Average weight of the mechs involved?

So, in a heavy battalion, if it has a scout company, will the rest have to make up the weight to hit 'Heavy' designation?

Much thanks for any assistance.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
Re: Regimental / Company Weight
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2021, 13:16:33 »
Nominally it’s average weight of the units. I’d wager above the battalion level it gets kind of messy,  but I I think it holds.

The new Tukkayid Supplemental pdf might have some better answers for you.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2021, 15:31:16 »
If you're converting for BF/SBF/ACS it becomes very un-messy since you're not concerned with individual machines and just the size of the sub-units.

darknihilyst

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2021, 01:30:51 »
Thanks for the answers so far.

Yeah it's pretty much what I expected then.

We are jamming a chimera of rules that is something between SBF and ACS with some elements of IaW added for flavour. For the most part, we will be moving Companies about on the lowest level and resolve combats with SBF-like rules. We will also pick one engagement, work it down to Alpha Strike cards, probably using a RAT, and play that on the tabletop.

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2021, 03:49:19 »
Sounds fun. I tend to play with some mixed rules as well, playing BF with lance-level stats, SBF with company or battalion level stats, etc. It's all Alpha Strike at scale, really.

darknihilyst

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2021, 07:30:39 »
Indeed. I'm literally digging through all the books to wrangle something together that we can move chits about on a 'front map' (like say, the Combine front during the 4th Succ  War), and then on planetary maps as well.

It's a bit tricky trying to find a Combat Command that is feasible without too much overhead. Looking probs at x2 Battalions or the like.

And because my brain can't shut down, I'm trying to find a way to include some space-based Aerospace combat as well.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2021, 07:39:47 »
Good luck!  :thumbsup:

darknihilyst

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2021, 05:20:16 »
Hahaha! thanks!

Ok, follow up and related question:

If I say, want to create some forces, like above mentioned heavy company, but don't necessarily want to roll the specific elements right now...

The question is: without rolling specific mechs for the company lances, I won't know what the PV will be, but I want my friend and I to at least get going.  :) How do I determine the PV for a created company, but without knowing the particulars?

Scenario we want to play out like this: both of us create a heavy company or two. No mech particulars have been rolled. Then we move our chits around on the map and when we end up in an engagement, THEN we roll on the RAT to determine the mechs involved. The reason for this is to expedite the play and also maybe bring in some other guys without spending a day building his force.

So we want something like the average PV value for the heavy company etc. Anybody have some thoughts?

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2021, 05:35:15 »
The only thing I know of like that is found in the Battle of Tukayyid Supplemental. There are pre-generated binaries, trinaries, and Level III's as well as "standard" elements to pick and choose from in building custom formations. Were it me, I'd build a few using the standard method and eyeball it. IIRC, the PV for higher level formations is adjusted for scale so I don't know if you want to take that into account or not. As a last resort, you could just use the 350PV-400PV for a standard Alpha Strike game being a company adjusting by 10/20% since I take the 400 to average out at a medium company.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2021, 06:17:40 »
There are also generic Lance, Company, and Battalion-level forces in Historical 1st SW, Historical 2nd SW, and Campaign Operations

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2021, 08:16:04 »
There are also generic Lance, Company, and Battalion-level forces in Historical 1st SW, Historical 2nd SW, and Campaign Operations
I had totally glossed over that section of Campaign Ops. What a super handy thing! Thanks!

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2021, 16:55:15 »
I had totally glossed over that section of Campaign Ops. What a super handy thing! Thanks!

You're welcome.  That was some of my first work.

darknihilyst

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 18 January 2021, 03:44:51 »
Awesome! Much thanks for all the pointers and info.

I'll take a look at those book and see what I can wrestle up - probably gonna lean towards a 'standard' PV value per company and adjust as needed based off the book. Got a copy of Combat Manual: Kurita which was majorly helpful rolling up some Benjamin Regs.

What I love about Battletech - 30+ years' worth of content to browser through.  :)

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 18 January 2021, 03:54:32 »
Awesome! Much thanks for all the pointers and info.

I'll take a look at those book and see what I can wrestle up - probably gonna lean towards a 'standard' PV value per company and adjust as needed based off the book. Got a copy of Combat Manual: Kurita which was majorly helpful rolling up some Benjamin Regs.

What I love about Battletech - 30+ years' worth of content to browser through.  :)
I've been pouring over the "Inner Sphere at War Conversions" section of Campaign Operations on and off today and I think that plus your Combat Manual may be exactly what you're looking for.

darknihilyst

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: 18 January 2021, 05:53:45 »
Cool! Will take a look at the CO section.

So many books and options..  ;D

darknihilyst

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: 18 January 2021, 06:22:10 »
Hmm, for those interested, pg 89 in CO has a random roller for Battalion composition.

theagent

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 21 January 2021, 11:01:37 »
Hmm, for those interested, pg 89 in CO has a random roller for Battalion composition.

That's the one I use now for all unit types.  Need the composition for a Heavy Company?  I roll on that chart to see if I'm looking at 1 Medium & 2 Heavy Lances, or if I'm getting 1 Assault & 2 Heavy Lances, or something in between.  Want to build a Medium Battalion?  I roll for the Battalion composition, then roll for each Company's composition (& potentially wonder at the weird result of a Heavy Company with 1 Assault & 2 Heavy Lances paired up with 2 Medium Companies each comprised of 1 Light & 2 Medium Lances).  I think it gives a much wider range of alternatives than the Total Warfare chart.

Register