Author Topic: This Was Easier on the Tabletop - a Battletech SI Fic  (Read 174161 times)

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
Re: This Was Easier on the Tabletop - a Battletech SI Fic
« Reply #690 on: 05 February 2022, 10:05:51 »
There´s even odds, at least, that Melissa trolls him by arranging a Locust or UrbanMech to be substituted for his new ride.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Adventwolf

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #691 on: 05 February 2022, 10:56:48 »
The way I see it for mechs is either a Marauder again just upgraded with a different load out, a Nightstar which they have several of again upgraded with a new load out, a Marauder II with some SL gear installed, or a slow mech with long range weapons like an Awesome to try and keep him out of a direct fight.
Fun quest that need more people:

Skywalker For Senator (Star Wars) - Q, Star Wars: Beyond the Republic, We Stand Against the Stars (Gundam/Macross) Crossover, Mobile Suit Gundam: Divided Federation (Civ Quest), The Lords of Ruin -- Battletech/Killzone Crossover, Star War Moff Quest: Lost in Space

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #692 on: 05 February 2022, 12:11:46 »
It's a Kallon mech, so either Jagermech or Rifleman
Shoot first, laugh later.

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #693 on: 05 February 2022, 12:13:06 »
There´s even odds, at least, that Melissa trolls him by arranging a Locust or UrbanMech to be substituted for his new ride.

Given Hanse's off-handed reference to the source being more "a friendly" than "a friend," I don't think Mel is the lady whose trollish ways should concern our protagonist...
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #694 on: 05 February 2022, 12:31:29 »
Given Hanse's off-handed reference to the source being more "a friendly" than "a friend," I don't think Mel is the lady whose trollish ways should concern our protagonist...

Or it´s both of them.  >:D
-Frederick the Great

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #695 on: 05 February 2022, 13:46:28 »

Exterminator blueprints discovered during excavations in 3007.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #696 on: 05 February 2022, 13:54:37 »
Hm.  I suppose if he wanted to be completely off the wall, it could be from Banzai, Wolf, or Snord.  That would really increase the possible units and be really surprising, and from his comments we know he's assigned to the Dragoons as  liaison in the future, driving a borrowed Warhammer to pretend he's Natasha.  Can't remember if it's on Dieron or New Samarkand (sp.), though.

Exterminator blueprints discovered during excavations in 3007.

TT

Ugh.  Hope not.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #697 on: 05 February 2022, 13:59:34 »
The Royal variant...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #698 on: 05 February 2022, 14:12:19 »
I can think of two - Natasha or Katrina.
My personal bet is Katrina.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #699 on: 05 February 2022, 14:15:04 »
Or it could be from Patrick Kell,  the Orion that Theodore piloted?   Someone else had pointed it out.  Could be a maybe if Patrick realizes that it was the least he can thank John for him leering he has a son.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #700 on: 05 February 2022, 14:39:01 »
I did wonder about a Mad Cat (sourced from the 'Goons), but nah, that would send too direct a message to you-know-who I reckon.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #701 on: 05 February 2022, 14:43:50 »
I agree with the earlier assessment of it being a Command 'mech.  Is a Mad Cat one of those?  ???

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #702 on: 05 February 2022, 14:58:33 »
Or it could be from Patrick Kell,  the Orion that Theodore piloted?   Someone else had pointed it out.  Could be a maybe if Patrick realizes that it was the least he can thank John for him leering he has a son.

That Orion is the one he got in "Heir to the Dragon", i.e. formerly Alexander Kerensky´s personal ride? Yes, that would be a fitting gift.
-Frederick the Great

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #703 on: 05 February 2022, 15:47:28 »
The Royal variant...

TT

Still no.

Didn't think of the Orion, but I guess so.  I still favour the Marauder II with more command stuff, myself.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Adventwolf

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #704 on: 05 February 2022, 16:23:41 »
No it isn't. He got offers from every mech manufacturer in the FedCom. He just read the Kallon offer first.

The person is not Hanse, Mel, Katrina, or Morgan. All those people are firmly in the friends camp, not "friendly". The Dragoons, Kell Hounds, Nondi, and a handful of other nobles should be friendly enough to supply a new mech.
Fun quest that need more people:

Skywalker For Senator (Star Wars) - Q, Star Wars: Beyond the Republic, We Stand Against the Stars (Gundam/Macross) Crossover, Mobile Suit Gundam: Divided Federation (Civ Quest), The Lords of Ruin -- Battletech/Killzone Crossover, Star War Moff Quest: Lost in Space

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #705 on: 05 February 2022, 16:52:12 »
I wonder how long we'll have to wait this time? It was so long I was going to unfollow on SB. 

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #706 on: 05 February 2022, 16:59:22 »
It will take as long as it will take, you can't hurry the muse.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #707 on: 05 February 2022, 18:32:21 »
Yeah, he's had some difficulties he says.  I can commiserate.  It's been a couple months since I touched mine.

J-H

• Corporal
« Reply #708 on: 05 February 2022, 19:30:47 »
Very happy to see an update!

Given that John is explicitly in the know, I'm expecting something with some Clantech under the hood.  WD owes him a lot.  I don't think they're likely to be hand-making Daishi/Dire Wolfs yet, otherwise it'd be that.  Maybe a moderately disguised Marauder IIC?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #709 on: 05 February 2022, 19:54:21 »
Third PPC is too hard to hide, given they hit at extended range people will add 2+2 pretty quick, I think.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #710 on: 05 February 2022, 19:55:14 »
DHS, IS ER PPCs and a Gauss Rifle should fit just fine.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #711 on: 05 February 2022, 20:24:06 »
Very happy to see an update!

Given that John is explicitly in the know, I'm expecting something with some Clantech under the hood.  WD owes him a lot.  I don't think they're likely to be hand-making Daishi/Dire Wolfs yet, otherwise it'd be that.  Maybe a moderately disguised Marauder IIC?

John might go for something with an XL engine, Clan-tech DHS, and Clan-tech Targeting Computer.  To me those would provide the best benefits, as they can be used to benefit anything.  AMS might be a useful tech item if it can be used to protect Mechs near him and not just himself.

So an IS ERPPC or two, controlled by the Clan-tech Targeting Computer, with maybe a few LRM launchers to provide support in the form of Thunder, Smoke, or similar specialized munitions.  Toss a few Medium Lasers on the torso in case someone wants to get close, plus they would serve as crit sinks to help protect the XL engine.  Internal Structure and armor would be standard to make maintenance and repairs easier.

Other options might be putting in additional communications equipment so John's Mech can serve as a comms relay to allow John to be able to spot potential ambushes ahead of time (similar to how he spotted the LRM ambush).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #712 on: 05 February 2022, 20:32:39 »
An XL engine is actually a downgrade on a Marauder II...  :P

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #713 on: 05 February 2022, 22:34:47 »
Who's going to maintain all that Clantech in the field, when no-one (outside the inner circle) knows the Clans even exist?

While emotionally I'm still Team Nightstar, the MAD II makes considerable sense.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Ammonios

• Private
« Reply #714 on: 05 February 2022, 22:55:21 »
Hello,

Welcome back. And thank you for announcing your comeback with a remarkable follow-up chapter.

Kujo

• Sergeant
« Reply #715 on: 05 February 2022, 23:58:00 »
Chris

AWESOME new chapter, please continue when you can!

as for his mech, if it was from the 'Troll' queen Melissa (AKA MEL!) she wouldn't put him in something he could easily get killed in, OH NO! it would have to be able to take massive damage!  On the extreme 'defensive' concept to be cruel it would be an Awesome or worse Charger...

MEL is many things but she is not cruel to her subjects let alone her friends!  So we keep hearing Nightsky or Marauder II, and of course clan tech, to paraphrase Damon Killian from Running Man "hard times make for hard choices and this Mech is a hard @ss" the Berserker and as Mr. Smith is wont to engage in melee "at extremely close range"  :) he may as well have a mech that can achieve it without the whole ram enemy mech, breach fusion engine, eject, coma chain of events.  Plus it's well armored, it does have a decent medium to longish range energy battery (2x LPLs and one ER PPC), he can run away a bit faster with MASC (or use it to plus up his melee damage), and to keep him alive even better it has a AMS and ECM suite!  That and it's 'distracting' (a useful quirk).  So Melissa being the evil Super Genius Troll Queen (who is actually GOOD!) she would present John with her best Nobel level sales job on the Charger and then when John is about to buy it out of guilt, charisma and shear goddess level trolling, she proceeds to 'pretend' to offer him a choice she shows him the Awesome and once he's goes for the 'better' mech, Mel then very understatedly presents him the true mech the Berserker and Mel being MEL she could tell him all three are his, so he best not have the 'best' one shot out from under him as the 'others' are the only other Mechs he will be getting!

Thank you for your time!
« Last Edit: 06 February 2022, 00:00:09 by Kujo »
For the FEDCOM For the Archon-Prince

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #716 on: 06 February 2022, 00:05:45 »
Hmm.  No.  Give him an Urbie. ;D

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #717 on: 06 February 2022, 00:42:56 »
A Banshee
 Not a 3S, but a upgraded normal model to maintain the speed
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #718 on: 06 February 2022, 04:12:37 »
As the John Smith himself said, it's either Rifleman or Jagermech

Doug Glendover encapsulating my feelings on Jagermech

Daryk

• Lieutenant General