Author Topic: Project Aphrodite  (Read 5165 times)

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
Re: Project Aphrodite
« Reply #60 on: 29 January 2024, 22:46:44 »
I also recall they somehow sped up Venus' spin which is basically impossible unless you happen to be somewhere pretty high up on the Kardashev scale, and this was done all before the Star League was a thing!

This Website is the only instance where Venus' rotation has been increased, and the planet is overrun by Dr. Moreau's sexy foxes and other manimales.

So, if such a thing were possible, then, surely an ancient alien-civilization would have emerged and speed up, moved all the terrestrial-worlds into perfect habitable-zone orbits as they would have needed them to support their growing-populations, wait, given the number of Earth-like worlds in Battletech, perhaps someone already did!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #61 on: 30 January 2024, 02:23:43 »
There are no ancient alien civilisations extant in the BT universe.

Possibly the Inhibitors did such a great job until recently, just missing our corner of the Galaxy ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: 30 January 2024, 20:08:06 »
There are no ancient alien civilisations extant in the BT universe.

Possibly the Inhibitors did such a great job until recently, just missing our corner of the Galaxy ;)

The truth is out there; Battletech as more of a Dune-feel, than a Star-Trek feel.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #63 on: 30 January 2024, 21:13:10 »
Dune: We have found the ancient aliens, and they are US! ;D

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #64 on: 31 January 2024, 07:01:36 »
Can we try to stick to what we know (or can reasonably infer) about BT canon, and not wander into Ancient Aliens fanfic?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: 06 April 2024, 16:32:35 »
Found this little video on terraforming Venus.

https://youtu.be/G-WO-z-QuWI?si=8K8UPqRaFP4V75tA

To stick with Battletech-cannon, we have to use '80's technology to terra-form, so, Weyland-Yantani Atmosphere-Processors, (takes decades) or,

2. The Star-League did it (Somehow).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #66 on: 06 April 2024, 17:50:44 »
That's a good video... and obviously, the answer for BT is #2... ;)

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #67 on: 16 April 2024, 20:01:53 »
... and obviously, the answer for BT is #2... ;)

Double Heat-Sinks.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #68 on: 16 April 2024, 20:05:30 »
DHS are too easy, so they can't be #2... ;D

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #69 on: 25 April 2024, 15:48:03 »
Trying to learn a little more science here; What is the benefit of changing Venus' spin? 
I get that it rotates slowly and you would have the Sun heating one side too much and the other side gets too cold once the atmosphere is fixed from a sulfuric greenhouse.  Still that seems easier to solve with the giant solar mirrors than going to the effort of changing the spin. 
Do humans have a problem living on a planet that has such a long year, or was it mission creep of what the Star League teraformers could do so they did it? 

In the same vein they changed Venus from Retrograde to match all the other planets.  Again is there a benefit to humans to not have to live on a planet with retrograde spin, or was this just we got this far do a little more so it matches.   

I wonder if being on a planet that has a Retrograde spin would cause issue with moving onto a space ship/station which was generating gravity by spinning the other direction.  Or if you visited Earth or some other planet. 
I can see the inner ear not being happy about spinning the other way but I have no idea what other problems one could have from adapting to a retrograde spin and then being spun the other way. 

Speaking of that are grav decks on ships/stations standardized to spin one way?  Or does it not matter which direction a grav deck spins for generating artificial gravity?

Speaking of planets spinning we always think of planets spinning on an East/West axis with the poles at top and bottom.  Could there be a planet where the planet rotates North/South with the poles rotating instead of being static?  Has any such planet been mentioned in Battletech?  Could humans live on a planet with that rotation, or would the Star League have to had teraformed it to change the spin for viability? 

Thanks for any answers to help me learn.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #70 on: 25 April 2024, 17:10:50 »
I forgot about JHS Terra having profiles on the planets I'll have to go have a look

Quite amusing that they made Venus worse and mars while successful because of all the room on Terra (with a smaller population) noone wants to live on Mars

Realistically, you wouldn't want to live on Mars even after a successful terraforming effort but BT has ignored the long term effects of living in low g environments so *shrug*
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #71 on: 25 April 2024, 17:30:38 »
Realistically, you wouldn't want to live on Mars even after a successful terraforming effort but BT has ignored the long term effects of living in low g environments so *shrug*

Speak for yourself, my dunks would be incredible.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #72 on: 25 April 2024, 17:55:04 »
Speak for yourself, my dunks would be incredible.

Simply the best osteoporosis. Like you wouldn't believe.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: 28 April 2024, 12:00:54 »
To live on Mars, we'd have to genetically modify people to live in the low-Gee, lower air-pressure.

All things considered, a fully terraformed Venus would be a lot more desirable for humans, than a fully terraformed Mars.

But, if humans live in space, (they're the ones that most likely will terraform them), they may not desire living in such high-gravity worlds. (Think the Expanse, so to speak (I hate referencing sci-fi)).

Trying to learn a little more science here; What is the benefit of changing Venus' spin? 
. . .

There's no problem with it rotating, retrograde, for humans. However, it's slow rotation means that with the greenhouse-atmosphere gone and an Earth-like one in its place, temperature-maps put the equator-continent as having a daytime temperature of over 100°C.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #74 on: 28 April 2024, 12:13:45 »
And that day time would last a long time...

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #75 on: 28 April 2024, 12:14:47 »
To live on Mars, we'd have to genetically modify people to live in the low-Gee, lower air-pressure.

Per a couple of sources, perhaps most notably JHS: Terra, the Western/Terran Alliance/Hegemony *did* do a lot of baseline genetic therapy and anti-viral work. The humans of BattleTech are referred to as Homo sapiens stellaris (IIRC); they are sturdier, healthier, longer-lived, and comfortable in a greater range of planetary conditions. Even before the Star League, the average lifespan on Terra was over 100 years.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #76 on: 28 April 2024, 12:31:49 »
Paul answered a rules question in that vein around 10 years ago here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=40686.msg1310315#msg1310315

That's the closest to an official citation I've been able to find so far.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 28 April 2024, 15:16:47 »
Paul answered a rules question in that vein around 10 years ago here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=40686.msg1310315#msg1310315

Thanks for the reference

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #78 on: 30 April 2024, 19:33:45 »

Exo-humanism is a bit advanced for Battltech.  That's more of a Millennium-concept; the people in Battletech are from the '80's; the have a natural-aptitude for glam-rock and heavy-metal, the get an extra-die to resist drugs and alcohol and they can smoke, a lot.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #79 on: 30 April 2024, 21:14:53 »
As that rules question and answer indicates, the range a "baseline" human of the battletech universe can live in is actually established in A Time of War on page 237, which defines a "normal gravity environment" as between 0.2 and 2 gravities.

Please note that this is just the range a battletech human can live in for extended periods without long term game altering affects on the character. And the affects from exceeding those ranges aren't even all that severe. The people of the battletech universe are simply built different.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 30 April 2024, 22:02:10 »
We already have humans in the BTU living far longer than the average rl human (when they are not KIA or assassinated anyway) It's not that hard to believe that healthcare included life long treatments over the course of generations to humans can colonize the stars without dying once they get to not Earth. In fact, it makes the development of Mar, Venus and the Belt make even more sense as a 'backyard' testing ground for Terra while reaching further and further.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #81 on: 01 May 2024, 01:46:41 »
Exo-humanism is a bit advanced for Battltech.  That's more of a Millennium-concept; the people in Battletech are from the '80's; the have a natural-aptitude for glam-rock and heavy-metal, the get an extra-die to resist drugs and alcohol and they can smoke, a lot.

Not sure what you're trying to say here, but BattleTech canon (since almost the earliest days) absolutely says that humanity had baseline genetic engineering to explain how we could colonize worlds that "modern" humans would die upon.

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #82 on: 02 May 2024, 16:29:22 »
Not sure what you're trying to say here, but BattleTech canon (since almost the earliest days) absolutely says that humanity had baseline genetic engineering to explain how we could colonize worlds that "modern" humans would die upon.

Do you have a reference I can look up?  I don't recall reading that, other than the Clans, genetic-Engineering, in any of the books; maybe it was in the Exodus-section of the House-books.

CitizenErased

• Master Sergeant
  • Eldritch Galactic Princess
    • Dykes Dig Giant Robots
« Reply #83 on: Today at 01:08:49 »

Do you have a reference I can look up?  I don't recall reading that, other than the Clans, genetic-Engineering, in any of the books; maybe it was in the Exodus-section of the House-books.

Jihad Hot Spots: Terra explicitly says that in the 2060s, the Western Alliance developed genetic vaccines against malaria and AIDS:
With genetic vaccines steadily erasing inherited troubles and granting everyone healthy hearts and strong immune systems, average life spans in the Alliance began climbing from where they had leveled off in the twentieth century (in the mid-70s). In 2098, the Terran Alliance could honestly claim that the average lifespan of its citizens was over 100 years (JHS:T p 142).

I can't find any sources about engineering for harsher environments, but there was at least some active genetic modification of the species as a whole, hence James McKenna's whole "homo stellaris" propaganda. But to quote JHS:Terra again (this time directly from Bertram Habeas himself), "JumpShips, a few genetic vaccines, and a pretty speech do not a new species make."
Your friendly neighborhood transgender giant robot enthusiast!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #84 on: Today at 08:54:46 »
For earlier sources, I'm pretty sure the five original House books, plus The Star League and The Periphery, mention genetic engineering. But I should also note that gengineering has been in sci-fi almost from the day Crick and Watson announced their discoveries, and even before that there was eugenics as a pretty common trope. The idea that genetic tinkering somehow isn't "eighties" is just weird to me.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #85 on: Today at 10:41:56 »
Jurassic Park came out in 1990, so it's a fair bet that the 80s were popular with genetics tropes.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Register