Author Topic: World of Warships Beta  (Read 157951 times)

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
Re: World of Warships Beta
« Reply #1020 on: 18 March 2018, 17:44:59 »
I had to show off a bit. I'm really enjoying the Richelieu.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

DisGruntled_kbd

• Corporal
« Reply #1021 on: 19 March 2018, 08:20:22 »
Looks like you deleted some cruisers with those citadels / hits to damage ratio.  Well done on a good game.

I find it kind of funny that the current camo missions are harder then the ones for the Aigle.   I'm not too lucky on loot boxes so I'm still down on the Bretagne which is probably why I'm having a rough go of them. (and I hate the Glassionaire so I'm stalled out on the cruiser line despite being a good cruiser player) 

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1022 on: 19 March 2018, 10:56:22 »
I didn't mind the La Glassionaire but yeah it is an odd cruiser to come to grips with.

I managed to grind my way to the Shimakaze finally.  I keep forgetting to change the smoke out for the reload booster and my captain is still getting re-trained for it or I'm pretty sure it'd be a lot better.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1023 on: 20 March 2018, 22:40:22 »
I'm working up the French cruiser line and I am pretty certain I'm going to be able to skip right through the Algerie and go straight to the Charles Martel. I'm hope its a good ship because I really want it for her name! (Charles the Hammer)!  :D
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1024 on: 20 March 2018, 22:44:50 »
And there is no reload booster for the Shima.  I suppose that would be a bit much but to be honest with the current meta in regards to smoke/concealment I do honestly wonder if I should have stayed put because the Yugo is actually almost more useful.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #1025 on: 21 March 2018, 21:28:47 »
My Tier 8 Kagero is really fun. I have the Captain will the skills which reduces the range of the torpedoes but adds 5 knots to their speed and also the one which reduces detection range, and I fit the torpedo reload booster in lieu of a smoke screen. So I have torps that have an 8 KM range and do 72 knots, from a DD with 5.4KM surface detection and a boosted torpedo reload. :)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1026 on: 21 March 2018, 21:57:55 »
The Kagero is the stealthiest ship currently in game so she can be pretty evil.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #1027 on: 22 March 2018, 15:44:21 »
My Tier 8 Kagero is really fun. I have the Captain will the skills which reduces the range of the torpedoes but adds 5 knots to their speed and also the one which reduces detection range, and I fit the torpedo reload booster in lieu of a smoke screen. So I have torps that have an 8 KM range and do 72 knots, from a DD with 5.4KM surface detection and a boosted torpedo reload. :)

This is why they don't need submarines

I like my US DDs and RN BBs and sometimes my US CVs and RN CLs
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1028 on: 23 March 2018, 08:48:01 »

This is why they don't need submarines

I like my US DDs and RN BBs and sometimes my US CVs and RN CLs
Technically, the reason we don't want submarines is because they would be hard to spot. Not because of the torpedoes (most has only 4-6 torpedo tubes forward). Another reason is they would be SLOW. like Armored Cruiser slow.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1029 on: 23 March 2018, 09:47:19 »
Hah they'd be slower, 10 knots submerged at best, 20 on the surface at best for most and that would be a death sentence with all the guns flying around.

I'm having fun with my French shotgun, aka the Lyon, sure its only 13.5-inch shells, but when there's 16 of the damn things flying at someone.  She's great for bullying cruisers.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1030 on: 23 March 2018, 09:53:33 »
Hah they'd be slower, 10 knots submerged at best, 20 on the surface at best for most and that would be a death sentence with all the guns flying around.

I'm having fun with my French shotgun, aka the Lyon, sure its only 13.5-inch shells, but when there's 16 of the damn things flying at someone.  She's great for bullying cruisers.
Lyon needs something done.  16 guns is waaaaaay too many at tier 7 and they seem to penetrate better than the Colorado's 16's.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1031 on: 23 March 2018, 11:15:28 »
Lyon needs something done.  16 guns is waaaaaay too many at tier 7 and they seem to penetrate better than the Colorado's 16's.

Then the gun needs to be wound back.  The historical Lyon design had 16 guns in four quads, but the french 13.4" was a poor performer.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1032 on: 23 March 2018, 11:59:46 »
Yep, they need to slow her down too, for some reason they have her going at 25+ knots, the original design was a 21 - 22 knotter at the most, its what they could do with her hull form, there's no way a ship that dumpy and short could do 25+ knots

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1033 on: 23 March 2018, 15:20:30 »
Yep, they need to slow her down too, for some reason they have her going at 25+ knots, the original design was a 21 - 22 knotter at the most, its what they could do with her hull form, there's no way a ship that dumpy and short could do 25+ knots

Wow - they made it that fast?  I know WG pays scant attention to reality as it is but that's just plain dumb.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1034 on: 23 March 2018, 15:43:34 »
Yeah both the Normandie and Lyon are both way too fast.  The Normandie was the French's look at what was a fast battleship and they think she might have got maybe 25 knots, probably 24.  In WOWs she can hit 28 + and with a speed flag she'll go over 30.

The Lyon is a 21 knot ship by design and in game, 27 knots O_o  which is bonkers.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #1035 on: 25 March 2018, 21:56:10 »
I now have my third Tier 8 ship, the Charles Martel. I was able to skip through the Algerie on free XP.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1036 on: 25 March 2018, 22:29:37 »
Huzzah!

I have too many tier 8s myself.  11 off the top of my head.  Having trouble making myself play enough to go from Amagi to Yamato, New Orleans to Des Moines, and North Carolina to Iowa.  Might keep my Benson but eventually get a Fletcher then Gearing.  Depends on how bad my burn out gets.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1037 on: 26 March 2018, 01:54:02 »
I prefer playing at the slightly lower tiers - VII and VI rather than VIII as all too often I just end up slaughtered by Tier IX and X ships

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1038 on: 26 March 2018, 04:24:35 »
I mostly play tiers II to VI as I am more interested in first world war ships.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1039 on: 26 March 2018, 07:03:42 »
Huzzah!

I have too many tier 8s myself.  11 off the top of my head.  Having trouble making myself play enough to go from Amagi to Yamato, New Orleans to Des Moines, and North Carolina to Iowa.  Might keep my Benson but eventually get a Fletcher then Gearing.  Depends on how bad my burn out gets.
Keep the Benson and get the Fletcher.  The Fletcher is the end all be all of that style destroyer.  Gearing is nice, though the torps are her strong suit.

Don't forget Baltimore, she is loads of fun right now.  A week or so ago i ran off a Bismarck with her while killing an Atago and a DD, i almost had the Bismark burned down before the Bismark finally got me.  It's a great bullying cruiser.

I love my North Caroline, Iowa on the other hand a is a bit hit or miss.  She's faster, but larger and doesn't turn as well which means you better be paying closer attention to whats going on around you. 
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1040 on: 26 March 2018, 11:38:35 »
Oh yes the matchmaking is pretty brutal for tier 8 and I too actually spend most of my time playing lower down.  I've been focusing on getting some captain XP built up and some credits back after getting the Shima but again just not able to make myself play too much.

I am contemplating if I do really want to go beyond North Carolina as I do have Missouri and I don't like getting non-historical ships like the Montana.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1041 on: 26 March 2018, 12:08:07 »
Oh yes the matchmaking is pretty brutal for tier 8 and I too actually spend most of my time playing lower down.  I've been focusing on getting some captain XP built up and some credits back after getting the Shima but again just not able to make myself play too much.

I am contemplating if I do really want to go beyond North Carolina as I do have Missouri and I don't like getting non-historical ships like the Montana.
I'm happy the Baltimore is moving down with her armor that the New Orleans never had.  That should make the Baltimore a bit more fun at tier 8 compared to the NO.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1042 on: 26 March 2018, 12:47:03 »
Yeah the NO despite her ability to mount radar did feel like a tier 7 ship put in tier 8 because they already had the Pensacola and Phoenix.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1043 on: 26 March 2018, 15:18:38 »
so... that was fun - the only Tier VIII in a match but in a Benson with a good captaion so...

actually I was about the third to die, got a CAP and a couple of hits with torpedoes so may do ok

I thought I had a screen shot but can't find it
« Last Edit: 26 March 2018, 15:35:25 by DoctorMonkey »

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #1044 on: 26 March 2018, 20:16:47 »
I stand corrected: I forgot that I had the New Orleans, so that's four Tier VIII.

My favorite ships are often not my highest: I think the one I enjoy the most is ARP Kongo ever since they got the voice right. I also like my New Mexico, Gneisnau, that little tier III German DD with the forward firing torpedoes, Tier V German CL (can't recall the name) with the 360 degree rotation on her rear turrets, my Kagero, Nagato, Graf Spee and the ARP Tier VII Cruisers.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1045 on: 26 March 2018, 20:51:55 »
Konigsberg.

I think most people do prefer the mid tiers.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #1046 on: 26 March 2018, 22:56:54 »
Konigsberg.

That's her!

And I think my German Tier VII cruiser will be the next to graduate to Tier VIII.

Occasionally I'll keep a ship even as I progress along the tech tree, case in point the Konigsberg I kept even as I moved on and now have the Yorck. I'm planning on doing that with my New Mexico.

I don't do Soviet ships though. Just personal preference.

And I really hope they'll come out with a full fledged Italian tree of DDs, Cruisers and BBs. They had a large and active Navy, certainly saw more action than France's.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1047 on: 26 March 2018, 23:55:16 »
Yeah I boycott the Russians too and keeping some ships along the way is pretty much mandatory even with a premium account.

My collection of such ships is pretty extensive.

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1048 on: 27 March 2018, 06:20:39 »
Yeah I boycott the Russians too

I have both the Russian battleships - I bought the first one because I'm interested in WWI ships and I won the other, but that's it.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1049 on: 29 March 2018, 01:13:24 »
Played only a couple rounds of the space battles so far but I have already determined two things:

1: I'm going to absolutely love the Des Moines once I get her.

2: I may have to change my mind about getting the Neptune.  Damn that rate of fire is addictive.

Register