Author Topic: Clover Spear - The Story of the '56 War  (Read 144654 times)

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
Re: Clover Spear - The Story of the '56 War
« Reply #330 on: 07 April 2019, 13:05:15 »
I see the other shoe falling. Question is whether it will land in time.

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #331 on: 09 April 2019, 14:12:32 »
 Deleted

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #332 on: 09 April 2019, 22:46:30 »
That was a bit intense, also glad to see not everything is going great and that greedy short term gains, like usual, overides peoples better sens/ long term thinking.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #333 on: 18 April 2019, 12:10:21 »
May 18th, 3057

The Plains of Aragorn

Sarna

Capellan Confederation

100km East of Salomek

It is interesting you characterize Aragorn Plains as a battle? We always regarded it as the disposal of vermin.

- Star Commander Delkeith Malthus, Jade Phoenix Mercenary Cluster in an interview with DBC News, “The War of ’56, 10 Years On – What Have We Learned?” Broadcast 24 August, 3066

Subcommander Thomas Kutzov cursed again as his warbook struggled to identify the ‘Mechs approaching his line. He’d seen the types before, he couldn’t remember where, but somewhere. Been in the saddle too long, doesn’t matter really, they’ll die like the rest. Fools facing us on an open plain. We’re gonna murder them.

What he couldn’t get over was how they’d identified themselves to the Nightriders. First, they’d identified themselves as the “Jade Phoenix Mercenary Cluster” and then they asked who defended their position. Asked? They couldn’t be the Clans? Clans didn’t do the Mercenary thing. And if anyone ought to know that, it was McCarron’s Armored Cavalry. Colonel Wilson did the smart thing by telling these wierdos to go to hell.

Even though we lost 3rd Battalion in that damn ambush by the Kestrel Grenadiers, we’re still two elite battalions in pretty good shape, we should make short work of these guys. And we’ve managed to mine our front and flanks nicely, ought to force them right down this plain, where we can cut them up and kill them.

Kutzov moved his Grasshopper into line with the rest of his lance, and smiled. He looked forward to the maneuvering fight that was due to start, and the Davions are stupidly obliging. The Davions had reinforced with two RCTs some days ago, but the Chancellor himself had promised help.

A cry soon came up over the company net. “Here they come, they’re advancing like it’s a parade.” Kutzov increased the magnification. The enemy ‘Mechs were all in bright jade green, no accents, save a unit insignia of a jade colored falcon, with a sword in its talons rising from an orange and blue flame no other colors. They advanced at a walking pace, seemingly in no hurry to meet what Kutzov had been assured was their doom. Now, he wasn’t so sure of that.

Their company commander’s growl filled the frequency. “It’s just some Davions back from the Clan front looking to screw with us. Let’s trash their Clan toys and show them who owns this world. “ His voice seemed higher pitched than normal. Jesus, did the Davions bring home pet Clanners? Am I going to die here?

As if to answer that question, spears of verdant and cerulean light reached out from the enemy line. Oh my god, they are Clanners. They’re opening up at 650 meters. And they’re hitting! He turned his ‘Mech’s head just in time to see a Hunchback in another lance be decapitated by a PPC. Oh my god, that warrior didn’t even have time to scream! Fear gripped Kutzov like a scratchy blanket, and his fair skin went clammy as his blue eyes went wide. His breathing soon quickened, and he had to get a hold of himself as he began to hyperventilate.

The radio net began to tell a tale of disaster.

“-shit, 22 is down, he got hit three times by a PPC and he was just..gone!”

“Christ, get these damn mini-mechs off of me, they’re tearing me apart! Oh god, one’s going to blow my coc-“

“…Sweet Jesus, those Clanners have Yen-Lo-Wang at their head! Shut ‘em down and surrender boys and girls, we don’t have a hope in hell.”

“All Dark Horse Callsigns, sauve qui peut, pull back to Phase Line Quartz, the order has been given to-“that was from the Colonel himself, and for him to give that order, it must have been bad, Kutzov heard signs of a struggle, then several pistol shots.

“Dark Horse, this is Colonel Lisa Chen of the 19th Special Loyalty Tasks Battalion. Colonel Wilson has been relieved of his command and summarily executed for treason and cowardice. I am now in command. You will close with these Clanners and show them what Capellan manhood consists of-“there were more shots and confused cries and screams.

Kutzov began to backpedal, firing his Large Laser in the general direction of the enemy as he covered friendly ‘Mechs that were more damaged than his try to get clear of the rapidly unfolding disaster.

Kutzov swallowed then spoke into his mic. “Dark Stallion Two-One, this is Dark Stallion Two-Two, Can you raise Six?”

The voice of his Lance leader came in choppy and broken, the jamming is really heavy, I am surprised we can get anyone on the net at all. “Two-Two, his Marauder is down, and they’ve got some of those Elementals of theirs finishing the job. I don’t dare get close to him in this captured Enforcer. As it is, I’ve lost a hip and I don’t have a hope in hell of getting away. Two-Two, take charge of the Lance and get it back to the dropships. Get clear of this world, we’ll be back some day. It’s time to save the Cavalry.”

Kutzov’s eyes stung. Commander Chueng was popular with her warriors, her ‘can do’ attitude was infectious and she had really done well commanding the unruly men and women of Fire Lance, Ambleov’s Company, 2nd Nightriders, McCarron’s Armored Cavalry. Now to die here, like this? “Mam, are you sure, we can come get-“

“Negative Two-Two, take command and follow your orders, get the hell out of here. Sarna’s lost, we were the flank. Now the flank’s in the ****** wind, and things are chaos at regiment. You’re the only person I can raise. Shit, I got bigger problems, one of their mediums just noticed me. Good luck Two-Two, to the next life.”

Kutzov slammed the left arm of his command couch in frustration. He had orders, what could he do? He keyed the radio again. “Dark Stallion Two-Two to any Dark Stallion Two callsigns? Come in please? Sound off.”

“This is Two-Four to Two-Two, Two-Three lost a leg as those bastards began to close. My Griffin is operational, if you can call it that. What are your orders boss?”

“Run like hell and pick up any stragglers.”

A shrill cry came over the net in the clear, and it broke through all the cross chatter on the net. “All commands, this is Ringmaster Six. Retreat to the dropships. Save yourselves and whomever else you can. Let the Mask fight the Davions themselves if they want. The 7th Crucis Lancers just broke our southern flank, if we stay, we’re going to get cut off against the river. Out.”

Kutzov swore mightily “If I ****** live through this, I am leaving the Armored Cavalry.”

Sarna, Part 4

Attackers: McCarron’s Armored Cavalry (All Regiments), 1st Battalion, House Kamata, One Company of Death Commandos, Sarna Home Guard.

Defenders: 12th Vegan Rangers (all remaining regiments), 1st Kestrel Grenadiers, 7th Crucis Lancers RCT, Davion Assault Guards RCT, Jade Phoenix Mercenary Cluster, 2 Artillery Brigades.

The end on Sarna was as climactic as the entire battle had been, as the Capellans simply ran out of time to finish off the 12th Vegan. They had managed to destroy most of Gamma Regiment since forcing the crossing over the Grey River, but the temporary advantage had evaporated on May 8th, with the arrival of two RCTs and a “mercenary” cluster of former Jade Falcon POWs hired by no less than Kai Allard-Liao himself.

McCarron discounted the reports of ClanTech present in the new FC units as little more than propaganda, and shifted the Nightriders (who were down to two battalions) to cover the Northern flank and Gordon’s Demons to cover the South. McCarron hoped to bloody the FC nose long enough to finish things in Salomek before he withdrew in triumph.

What happened was an unmitigated disaster. The Nightriders were an elite unit, but they had never faced the Clans, or more importantly, their superior technology. Capellan ‘Mechs were cut down at ranges most of McCarron’s ‘Warriors could not fathom. With no less than Kai Allard-Liao at their head, they slowly advanced into the teeth of the Nightriders, destroying their 2nd Battalion, and forcing the 3rd to flee pell-mell for their dropships. Coupled with an attempted takeover of the Nightriders by the attached Special Loyalty Tasks Battalion, barely two companies made it off Sarna and back to Capellan space.

In the South, a massive prep barrage with air and artillery shattered the Demons, whose morale had been shaky since being pulled out of the city fighting in Salomek after suffering 30% casualties. The regiment lost 15% of its ‘Mechs and vehicles to the bombardment, and then was slammed into by the 7th Crucis Lancers, leading off with a battalion of captured Clan tech ‘Mechs. Like the Nightriders, they did their best, but the Demons were brutally overrun. Barely a battalion of the Demons fought their way clear and managed to escape off world, the rest of the Armored Cavalry either died in the streets of Salomek in the coming weeks, or made their way off world. By the time the brigade returned to Menke to rebuild, there was little more than 4 battalions of a once proud 5 regiment force left. The Death Commandos fought to the last man, as did House Kamata, with the Home Guard surrendering on the 22nd. Sarna was declared secure on the same day.

The Battle of Sarna had ended, ACTIVE PANTHER kicked off three days later.

To paraphrase Winston Churchill, I knew it wasn’t the beginning of the end for the Capellan Confederation after Sarna. But I also knew it wasn’t the end of the beginning either. But I did know, from here on in, we dictated the tune, and Katherine and I intended to play the final note on Sian, as a eulogy for our parents.

- Victor Steiner-Davion, “Reflections”, Davion Palace Press, New Avalon, 3071

“To borrow from an American President, ‘But, in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate -- we cannot consecrate -- we cannot hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract.’” President Lincoln was right then, and he is right now. What these brave men and women, Regular, Reserve, and Mercenary sacrificed in the name of the Commonwealth can never be repaid. It shall never be forgotten. As I light this eternal flame of Reflection and Remembrance in honor of all the souls lost here, and elsewhere to stem the Capellan-Marik advance, let us also remember those who survived, and our obligations to them…”

- Katherine Cox Steiner-Davion, Speech Given on the Dedication of the Sarna Victory Memoral and opening of the Commonwealth Cemetery at Salomek, March 9th, 3061
« Last Edit: 18 April 2019, 16:37:41 by panzerfaust150 »
Clover Spear author and cat wrangler!
FedCom Fan!

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #334 on: 18 April 2019, 15:52:28 »
Oof.  Nice chapter.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Zureal

• Lieutenant
« Reply #335 on: 18 April 2019, 20:46:25 »
nice, just,.... need more  :'(

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #336 on: 19 April 2019, 13:01:36 »
Ecellent!  :thumbsup:

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #337 on: 21 April 2019, 14:43:59 »
Damn you dropped Kai on them with a full cluster, that's one he'll of a shoe to drop.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #338 on: 25 April 2019, 08:52:57 »
AN: Another Omake from Yellowhammer of SB!

Cat Fight Part 5

"The board is set, the pieces are moving. We come to it at last...
The great battle of our time." J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

CNCS Mata Hari

Pesht, Pesht District

15 May 3057

"Status Change, Star Captain!" The voice of Star Commander Alex woke the captain.

Star Captain Jeanne slapped the intercom in her spartan quarters and snarled "Report!"

"Drive plumes detected! Estimate of three Battlemech regiments plus auxiliary forces boosting for the Zenith point from spectral analysis."

Jeanne grabbed her duty jumpsuit and swam into the bridge. Strapping herself in as the ship drifted in its ballistic course through the Pesht system, she watched the holotank with interest as the set of vectors left Pesht and headed toward the icons of a cluster of transport jumpships.

"HPG preliminary movement report to Irece! Communications traffic analysis? Is this a planned Trial for our worlds?" She snapped out as she pulled her uniform on.

"Positive identification of DCA Kaga, DCA Akagi, DCA Shoukaku, DCA Zuikaku assigned to Ryuken regiments according to the Watch." The holotank redrew itself as the advanced computers on the Bug-Eye used the combination of the telescope's observation of the distant dropships and their drive's unique spectral characteristics plus electronic emissions to determine a picture of the DCMS movements.

Jeanne glanced to the communications section. The best computers that the Scientist caste could produce labored there to break the coding on the HPGs. "Code break!"

The message came up on the screen. "Tai-sa Shotoku, take command of Ryuken-go, Ryuken-roku, and the 22nd Dieron Regulars, secure Midway for the Dragon as a forward staging area to liberate Galedon V."

Jeanne's eyes glittered. "Append the message to our next transmission to Khan Leroux. Continue observation of the Spheroids and work up a profile on what they left behind. Once they commit..."

A feral smile, "Pesht is ours."

----------------------------

Palace of Spreading Harmony
Galedon V, Galedon Military District, Draconis Combine

17 May 3057

Coordinator Franklin Kurita stared at the holotank. Worlds under his control, the true Dragon's control, gleamed scarlet, while his cousin Miyako's worlds were an angry orange. A scattering of loyal icons held the border secure, but unless things changed, his cousin would breach the border.

What to do, what to do?

"Replay projections."

One orange arrow shot out from Xinyang in Benjamin to Hachiman, while another speared down from Pesht to impale Midway. As those worlds fell, the arrows struck deeper into Galedon, aimed for him.

I can't stop her, not alone.

A touch on the control and the map zoomed out, showing the blue of the Federated Commonwealth and the gold of the Clan invasion corridor.

But I can bleed her, slow her and....

He turned to the young man next to him. "Tai-i Karoda. I have a mission of utmost importance to the Combine for you."

The fifth-generation Samurai bowed. "My life for yours, Kurita-dono."

"Assemble a company of my most loyal samurai and take our information about the DCMS supply base on Xinyang with you. Your mission will begin here." A touch highlighted a world along the Smoke Jaguar/Combine border.

As Karoda departed, Franklin nodded to himself and then touched a control on his terminal. A burly man with a shaved head and African features entered and bowed before him.

"What is the Dragon's will?" He rumbled.

Franklin spoke quietly. "It is time to use some of our assets, Director Jerrar. Inform Tai-sa Ioto, Tai-sa Doi, and Tai-sa Kusunoki to begin disruption operations. Code word is Kyomou."

Jerrar bowed and departed at a gesture as Franklin began to touch and move icons of his unis to assemble them at Agematsu.

---------------------------

29 May 3057

Konstance City, Helen, Draconis March

Konstance City burned.

Subaltern Victoria Sanromea-Davion clenched the joysticks of Santiago, her family's Enforcer with sweating palms.

The day had started out so well. Just a routine field exercise for her lance of the Sakhara Training Battalion.

That had changed when a Drac jumpship had appeared in the Hector/Helen Pirate point and detached a trio of Unions on a high-speed run at the planet. The Training Battalion aerolances and planetary militia's ASF force had been sent out to intercept them while Santiago and the rest of Gold Lance had been frantically rearmed with live munitions.

Very few of the aerojocks had survived their attempt to intercept.

Now it was her turn. The Dracs had dropped one company at the spaceport to try to secure a landing zone. The other two...had been deployed straight into the built up areas of Helen's planetary capital.

"Gold One to Gold Three, Report." That was Leftenant Marks in his Crusader.

"Gold Three, negative on Magscan. IR is a mess with all the fires that the Snakes set." Her classmate's Gallery rasp was oddly calming. Karl Hendriksson-Steiner was the son of some mining family back on Gallery and a distaff cadet relation to the Archon-Prince. Not a bad sort, if a little too proud to show off the Trenchbucket that his grandfather had captured from the League during a raid late in the Third Succession War.

A raid like what the Dracs were doing here. One battalion couldn't hold Helen with the March Militia nearby. So she just needed to do her duty and minimize the damage. With that her scanner finally showed something.

"Gold One, Four, got movement half a klick at my ten o'clock. Intermittent sensor flux." Victoria rattled off the data by The Book. That had to count for something, right?

"Two, Backstop Four. Four, transmit targeting data for us LRM boats."

"Yessir, Leftenant." Subaltern Laura Gray's Phoenix Hawk jetted down next to Santiago. "I'll swing left while you advance, Vickie."

Victoria nodded and advanced, gripping her joysticks as she tracked the crosshairs from building to building. Just like a sim, just like a sim....

"Panther! I'm on him!" A gold icon popped up on her tactical display. "C'mere you little...."

A flash of man-made lightning illuminated the street to Victoria's left and she kicked Santiago into a run. "F-four's engaging Panther, assisting." She stuttered out, hating how her voice broke in the middle of the report.

The Drac light Mech bounced over a burning office block on ion jets. Moments later Laura's Davion-green painted Phoenix Hawk followed suit, firing the laser as she went. "Gotcha you Snake Bast--- ******----" Her voice tapered off into a scream and the crackle of flames.

"Four's in trouble! Assisting!" Victoria slammed down on the foot pedals and Santiago lifted off. Victoria feathered the jets to land on a rooftop one block over as the smoke cleared.

Below and to the left was a Thunderbolt Heavy Mech bathing the prone Phoenix Hawk in flames from its torso-mounted twin flamers as pulses of coherent light flayed the lighter Phoenix Hawk, snapping a leg off.

"Thunderbolt-Sierra! Engaging!!" Victoria snapped out as she punched the button that would send her sensor data to her lance-mates and dropped the crosshairs onto the hulking Mech. Her fingers squeezed the triggers, and the roar of her autocannon filled the cockpit as a wave of heat washed over her.

The emerald beam of her 8cm laser flayed armor from the T-Bolt's torso as the autocannon blew away charcoal gray armor plates from its left thigh, obliterating the Kurita Dragon coiled around a sword of the Ryuken.

"OHGODOHGOD HEL---" Laura's panic-filled screams suddenly cut off as the soaring temperatures inside her burning 'mech caused the ammunition for her machine guns to explode, disintegrating the Phoenix Hawk.

"Die Snake!" Victoria screamed, seeing red. "Gold One, I need fire support now!"

A PPC bolt slammed into her left thigh and she braced against the impact, returning fire with her howling autocannon and laser, blasting more armor from the Ryuken Thunderbolt's thick hide. LRMs rained own around it, further damaging the heavy Mech.

"Just a little mo--" A red light appeared on her HUD and Santiago's Nagging Nora voice sounded in her ears. "Warning Missile Lock Detected." Spears of coherent light hammered into Santiago, blasting away armor in half-ton lots. The loss of the weight caused her to stumble toward the edge of the roof, and then twenty LRMs slammed into her like the hammer of Thor and darkness claimed her.

The sound of the ground shaking caused her to stir toward consciousness. Blinking off the pain, she concentrated on the flickering MFD showing her condition.

Right leg out...armor's red or worse across my whole right side, and I'm looking at the sky. Right. Time to check in according to The Book.

"Gold One to Two, watch for the Panther coming around your six! Dammit, kid!" A explosion in the distance.

"One this is Three. I'm in the red, and four's dead. T-bolt got Laura. Orders, sir?" A distant thud. The officers knew what to do, right?

"Vickie, leave your telemetry running and get to safety on foot. We are falling back to Delta line. Stay safe." Another thud.

"Yes sir." Victoria began to unbuckle her harness then the sky above her suddenly turned dark. She looked up to see a charcoal gray painted Stalker looming over her, smoke trailing from its missile racks.

With elephantine grace, the Assault Mech deliberately raised one foot and placed it on her cockpit, then slowly began to press down as Victoria screamed in terror.
FedCom Fan!

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #339 on: 02 May 2019, 14:56:30 »
The Fox’s Den

New Avalon

Crucis March

Federated Commonwealth

June 1st, 3057

The glow of the various displays bathed the darkened secure conference room in an otherworldly glow. If the lights had been on, one would see a hardwood table made of Salem birchwood, surrounded by custom rolling chairs made from the same material. Everywhere was wooden reliefs of the sigils of the Davion family, the Federated Suns, and the Federated Commonwealth. On one wall was a rack, with unit coins from every regiment in the AFFC, including mercenary units of note. It was said in the mercenary trade, that if your unit coin got on that wall, you had “hit the big time”.

But the lights being off was indicative of one thing; a major operation was being planned, and about to be executed. Katherine Steiner-Davion rubbed her palms again to deal with the sweat beading of off them. Why am I so damn nervous? Jackson, Ran, Ardan, and my brother have been over this thing. It’s as good a plan as we can make. We smashed the Capellan operational reserve at Sarna. It’s just a matter of bringing this thing to an end.

Katherine hated the ruffle of her “court dress”. It was something that had been provided by some up and coming designer on Pherkad that she wouldn’t normally wear in a million years, but it rustled every time it moved..and it was distracting her thoughts.

A voice, sounding suspiciously like her father, then responded “Dear daughter, it’s because the Capellans know how this will end. And so do you, so they’re going to fight like madmen. The casualties are going to be heavy, but this has to be done. The Capellan Confederation has become the mad dog of the Inner Sphere. It has to be put down.”

Katherine swallowed and gripped her palms tighter. She nodded wordlessly, I know, Daddy. I am just scared.

The voice responded. "We’ll always be with you, sweetheart. Now go do what has to be done."

Katherine turned her attention back to the briefer, a tall, lanky, raven haired female Kommandant in service dress, she was impeccably turned out for this brief. And she was doing a bang up job. Katherine lightly admonished herself for not listening as she went over the final elements of ACTIVE PANTHER, and when it was expected to kick off. “-we expect that the final elements we need will be in position no later than 4 June, as we have been pushing jumpships into the Sarna March as fast as we can.”

Jackson Davion stopped the briefer for a moment. “Kommandant Harris, first off, damn nice brief. The Archon-Prince and I thank you. Second, is the 4th a hard date?”

Kommandant Harris grimaced “Sadly, no sir. The J-3 shop isn’t at all sure about that, but we’re moving like hell to make it. The guys at the T&R routing aren’t getting any sleep these days.”

Victor Steiner-Davion then chimed in, his missing arm noticeable from the pinned up left sleeve, a souvenir of his own recent brush with death. “Jackson, we know this is very much a ‘come as you are’ war. We need to go as soon after Sarna as we can manage. I know the troops are tired, and I know we’re dipping hard into the log stockpiles, but the fact is? We have to end this, before the Capellans do anything else.”

Katherine cleared her throat. “What of the Mariks, and the Blakists, brother? We still haven’t figured out our responses there.”

Victor shook his head “No, Sis, we haven’t. Fact is, and I know you agree, but we need to end this as soon as we can, to keep this from escalating with the Mariks. As for the Blakists?” Victor held up his stump “-that’s going to be a long term project. One I am sure you can get off to a fine start.” Victor smiled a feral smile at the last thought, his teeth being reflected in the light of the displays. “There’s also the issue of the Combine’s slow implosion. So far, it’s not affected the Commonwealth any, but we all know that could change, on a dime.”

“You discussed that with Omi, Victor?” Katherine asked.

Victor nodded. “In between her and I discussing more…personal matters. But yes, she’s of the opinion that someone in the civil war’s going to try and expand the fighting to suck us in. And if that happens, I am not at all sure how the hell we are going to restrain the Draconis March, and to an extent? Would we want to?”

“Didn’t we say, brother, that we were committed to the idea of ‘one war at a time’?” Katherine stated, a tone of minor frustration in her voice.

“Yes, we did, but right now, we’re stuck reacting to events. ACTIVE PANTHER is going to get us the initiative back, but it’s going to commit a large part of the striking force the AFFC has. The rest is going to be busy watching the Wolves on the new border. And we have to figure out what the hell we reinforce Skye and the Drac March with?”

Katherine sighed “I know. James Sandoval has an audience with me later today, and I suspect he’s going to ask for his Robinson Rangers back, and honestly, I can’t say no.”

Victor smiled “Then don’t. It’s not like we desperately need them, and by the time they arrive back in the March, things might have calmed down. Least, I hope they will.”

Katherine shrugged “All we can do, So, I guess all that’s left to do is decide. Go, or no-go, and more importantly, when?”

Jackson Davion grinned with a smile that looked like a cat that had had a very fine meal of canary. “Well, we were thinking your highness. June 6th is a wonderfully auspicious date…and it’s a fine way to tweak the Blakists as well.”

Katherine laughed “And you want me to authorize it? I have to admit, they’re already pretty mad at us as it is. In for a penny, I suppose?”

“Well, there was that bit about that ‘creative response’ to the deaths of your parents. Not that I or anyone in this room minded, but I suspect the Blakists might be of a different mind.”

“Jackson, with all respect to those present. To hell with the Blakists. We go on the 6th. It is a very auspicious date. And, I do rather like tweaking the hell out of those robed bastards. And Quintus?”

Quintus Allard had been silent, mostly keeping his own counsel. “Yes, your Highness?”

“Tell the lads, I want to top the last time. Tell them to ‘get creative’. And tell them they’re to go on the Sixth as well. I want the Capellans to feel our wrath till we have ‘Mechs in the Forbidden Palace.”

Qunitus smiled evilly. “I will pass on your instructions, your Highness. Are they to leave the calling cards again?”

“Of course, would be rude not to?”

Active Panther, Phase 1:

I remember when we got word from AFFC CJCS to commence Phase One. There was cheers all around the Command Post for a good five minutes before Field Marshal Hasek calmed us down. Only time I ever remember being happy to commence a military operation.

“Musings of a Staff Officer – My Life and Times with the AFFC”

- Kommandant Samuel Fox, AFFC (Ret), 3069

Sarna Thrust

Capella:

Attackers: 7th Crucis Lancers RCT, Davion Assault Guards RCT, 1st Kestrel Grenadiers RCT, 2 Artillery Brigades

Defenders: Little Richard’s Panzer Brigade, Capella Home Guard (Division Sized Combined Arms unit, including 1 battalion of ‘Mechs), Capellan War College Legion (Battalion Sized unit

Results: After some desultory fighting, the Panzer Brigade quickly picked up stakes and fled off world, headed for Outreach. The Home Guard and the Legion fortified Ceres City and made the Davions fight block by block for the world. The FC obliged, and after 28 days of brutal house to house fighting, the Federated Commonwealth flag flew from the ruins of the Ceres Metals plant. Barely a battalion’s worth of survivors were left to surrender to the Federated Commonwealth forces.

Sarmaxa:

Attacker: Grim Determination, Lindon’s Regiment, Hansen’s Roughriders, 2 Artillery Brigades

Defender: Tooth of Ymir (4 Battalions in size), Sarmaxa Home Guard (1 combined arms regiment)

Results: The fighting for Sarmaxa was expected to be rough, and it did not disappoint, with the Tooth of Ymir fighting hard for every inch of the planet soon after the FC forces made planetfall. After 10 days of fighting, and there being no sign of relief from the Confederation, the Tooth of Ymir asked for terms. The FC forces, led by Colonel Sarah Lindon, offered the Tooth the honors of war, and let them leave unmolested. The next day, the Home Guard surrendered unconditionally.

No Return:

Attacker: 1st Davion Guards RCT, 6th Syrtis Fusiliers RCT, 4th Royal Guards, 3 Artillery Brigades

Defender: House Hiritsu (50% strength), No Return Home Guard (3 combined arms battalions)

Results: House Hiritsu put up a brave but doomed defense, as they were outnumbered, outgunned, and lacked enough skill and experience to make a go of it, with the remaining elements being destroyed after being pinned against the Tief River along with the Home Guard. Barely a battalion’s worth of Capellan troops managed to surrender after 2 hours of one sided fighting.

Randar:

Attacker: 2nd Ceti Hussars RCT, Blue Star Irregulars, 6th Crucis Lancers RCT, 2 Artillery Brigades

Defender: Randar Home Guard (2 combined arms battalions)

Results: The Home Guard stacked arms and surrendered soon after the arrival of FC troops, as the Capellan commander was not eager to “be a party to the murder of his own troops.”

Minnacora:

Attacker: 20th Avalon Hussars RCT, Delta, Gamma, and Epsilon Regiments, and Zeta Battalion, Wolf’s Dragoons, 2 Artillery Brigades

Defender: Kincade’s Rangers and Minnacora Home Guard (1 combined arms regiment)

Results: The Rangers and Home Guard dug in around the Cortide Magnetics plant, and fought hard to keep the Hussars and Dragoons out. They held both units off for three days, but succumbed when Zeta Battalion performed a low altitude avalanche drop under cover of artillery and air support right atop the factory. With the perimeter breached, both the Home Guard and Rangers crumbled and were crushed within hours.

Tsinghai:

Attacker: 36th Lyran Guards RCT, 1st Fedcom RCT, Laurel’s Legion

Defender: Redfield’s Renegades, House Matsukai, Tsinghai Home Guard (2 infantry battalions)

Results: Tsinghai turned into a meatgrinder, with neither side showing nor expecting quarter, and both sides were exhausted by the end of the month. Both sides soon dug in and awaited reinforcements.

St. Ives Thrust

Harloc:

Attacker: 1st and 2nd St. Ives Lancers

Defender: Harloc Home Guard

Results: The St. Ives units arrived in time to preside over the end result of a coup that had placed a pro-St. Ives planetary government in charge.

Hexare:

Attacker: Aliesha’s Mounted Fusiliers, Devon’s Armored Infantry, Group W, Davion Heavy Guards RCT

Defender: Lockhardt’s Ironsides, Hexare Home Guard

Results: Lockhardt’s Ironsides were routed handily when their attempt to attack the LZs of Devon’s Armored Infantry ended in disaster, with the 1st and 3rd battalions being destroyed piecemeal, and the 2nd battalion being forced to surrender. The Home Guard remained in barracks and surrendered the next day.

Zilang Thrust

Yuris:

Attackers: Team Banzai, Lexington Combat Group (all three regiments), 41st Avalon Hussars

Defenders: Yuris Home Guard

Results: The Yuris Home Guard was smashed within hours of the FC landings, and this cut off the Capellan-Blakist advances against Frazier and Bromhead, leading to the CCAF and WOBM sending frantic orders to their forces to mass to retake Yuris. The FC forces on Yuris were ordered to dig in and be ready to greet them.

Celestial Palace

Throne Room

Forbidden City

Sian

June 9th, 3057

I can hear your laughter, Mother. Sun-Tsu Liao grimaced as he looked at the daily situation reports. It was one disaster after another, McCarron’s Armored Cavalry butchered, other mercenaries deserting rather than fighting? Home Guard units surrendering? It was making the 4th War look like a worst case exercise.

And all through it, Sun-Tsu could hear his mother’s incessant laughter.

“Senior Colonels, what advice do you have for me?”

Talon Zahn clicked his heels, he was resplendent in his dress uniform, and his black hair shone in the harsh lighting of the throne room. “Your Celestial Wisdom. The only advice I have is a simple statement: ‘Wo gao-su le ni’ We told you this plan would not work, we told you a variant of LONG MARCH would have been a better option-“

Zahn’s remonstrative was cut short with a subtle grunt of pain, as a stiletto slid effortlessly between his ribs from behind, the wielder none other than the one eyed visage of Alexa Shang. Her face was a mask of hate, and her one eye bore into Zahn’s two. “How dare you.” she whispered. “How dare you say this to the Chancellor? How dare you say this, after you kissed his ass and shouted ‘Xin Sheng’ right along with the rest, you lickspittle scum! Where is your family, Colonel Zahn? Oh yes, on their way to Canopus..and safety.”

Shang kicked Zahn in the back, the blow throwing him to the ground as a slowly spreading ichor stained his white uniform. She glanced back at Sun-Tsu.

Sun-Tsu smiled. “Well done, Major Shang. I will promote you to Colonel. She has more spirit and guts than the rest of you. Unlike this…rubbish. Remove it from my presence.”

Alexa, I do hope you know it is past time to do what you promised me you would do? Has loyalty overcome your common sense?

Two attendants dragged the gasping Zahn from the Chancellor’s presence, making sure not to get any blood on the floor.

Sun-Tsu surveyed the room. “Is there any other advice? I will accept honest advice. So long as it respects my station. But that said, ladies and gentlemen, we are in the direst situation the Confederation has ever known. And we are finding out who our friends are. So, options, what can we do to preserve our state, our home?”

The room was as silent as a tomb.

Sun-Tsu grunted in frustration. “I see you are brave enough to face the Federated Commonwealth, but not me. No matter. I have no need of mute advisers. You are all relieved. Get out of my sight…GET OUT!!!”

The now fired advisers, and their staff filed out of the throne room for the last time, the last closing the heavy doors of the throne room behind him with a loud, deep bang. Sun-Tsu wondered if this was an omen for the futures of his realm.

June 9th was a dark day for the Confederation, and when that bitch killed Zahn in front of us? We knew we'd lost him, and she was completely complicit. I consider myself lucky we were all just fired.

- Unpublished Memoirs of Major Alexandr Rytov, Capellan Military Intelligence Division, former intelligence chief to Senior Colonel Talon Zahn.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2019, 16:08:08 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #340 on: 02 May 2019, 15:54:40 »
Excellent as always.

One minor oversight, though: You have Hansen´s Roughriders hit both Sarmaxa and Randar.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #341 on: 02 May 2019, 21:06:06 »
is the end almost near?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #342 on: 02 May 2019, 21:56:15 »
It is looking that way, some loose ends need tying up, but tied up they will be.
FedCom Fan!

Zureal

• Lieutenant
« Reply #343 on: 02 May 2019, 22:53:02 »
I do love these future memwires , they are so good, more of them plz :D

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #344 on: 04 May 2019, 12:54:26 »
is the end almost near?

Not even close theres 3 other wars to finish.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #345 on: 05 May 2019, 13:01:36 »
Well, Clover Spear is over, they're just mopping up, as well as a subsidiary multinational operation. The Combine Civil War has no sign of ending anytime soon, and as for the Capellans? Well, they might not see the new year...
FedCom Fan!

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #346 on: 21 May 2019, 10:34:29 »
Government House
Samantha
Taurian Concordat
June 19th, 3057

The view from the portico was beautiful this time of year, as summer came into full bloom on Taurus, but the mood of the two men discussing the future of their nation was anything but. In fact, it was one of those discussions that tended to change the fates of nations, but the participants, like most of those discussions, weren’t aware of that. To them, it was a bitter disagreement over policy. A third man, resplendent in his Marshal’s uniform, simply stood aside, and observed the discussion. One man, the Protector of the Realm, had his back to both men, as he gripped the rail of the portico in sheer frustration with the insufferable stubbornness of one of his vassals.

“So, these are the people you wanted us to enter into an alliance with, Grover?” Jeffrey Calderon’s face was one of mirthless disbelief. Glad I have my back to Shraplen, he’d lose it if he saw how just plain idiotic I truly think he is. He, like so many others, had simply shaken his head at the events of the past eighteen months, and was simply trying to ensure his small nation managed to stay alongside, let alone ahead of events.

“You know as well as I do, once the Davions are done with the Capellans, they will start with-“Grover Shraplen’s face was red with a mix of frustration and anger. He cannot fathom the threat that family presents to the future of the Concordat. And that threat must be brought to heel.

Calderon waved his hand in dismissal. “Who, with us? Really? It seems the Davions had damn good reasons to be done with the Capellans, Grover, or does committing terrorist atrocities not count in your mind because the victims happen to be Davions? Hell, your little idea to ally with that lunatic as a counterbalance with the Commonwealth would have embroiled us in this war by default. And what would that have meant for the future of the Concordat then?”

“A future for our nation, my lord. A secure one!” Shraplen said, almost shouting at his liege.

“Right”, Calderon responded, prolonging his pronunciation of the “i” to express his extreme skepticism of the idea. He exhaled in frustration. “Marshal Doru? What would this little adventure have cost us in your estimation?”

Marshal Doru came to attention, acting almost as a child called on in class. His gravelly voice almost coughed to life “The word you are looking for, Lord Shraplen, is ‘everything’. We’d have Davion troops on Taurus inside of a year. Assuming we didn’t exercise the final option. Which frankly, I am not eager to do so.”

Jeffrey shook his head. “Neither am I, Marshal Doru. Neither am I. Lord Shraplen, you will dismiss the Capellan delegation forthwith, and send them home. I am not going to enter into any more agreements as long as that lunatic Sun-Tsu is on the throne, and I suspect their diplomats might not have a nation to represent much longer in any case, and Marshal Doru, what is our intelligence estimates about conditions on Rollis?”

Marshal Doru’s eyes widened in response as the question his liege lord asked was nothing short of unexpected. “Um…the latest estimate from the TMI Diplomatic Corps and the Analysis branch that has been made available to us is ‘bad going on worse.” Widespread famine, political instability and conditions rife for revolution, if the Mask wasn’t in charge.”

“I see, and wasn’t Rollis part of our realm at one point?”

“Yes, but not since the Reunification War. Sir, I don’t-“Marshal Doru had a bit of worry creeping into his voice, wary of committing Taurian troops to any foreign adventure.

Jeffrey smiled as he turned to face both men. “Marshal Doru, I simply intend to intervene on Rollis for humanitarian reasons. I mean, with the Confederation collapsing, we would be forced to protect ethnic Taurians from the excesses of a Capellan government gone mad?”

“That’s pretty thin, sire.” Marshal Doru stated.

“As a sheet of rice paper, Marshal Doru, but Rollis has enough potential GDP through its lumber industry alone to make the Concordat quite rich. And, I suspect the garrison would prefer an offer to join the TDF than face the enraged Davions.” Calderon smiled as a mischievous look crossed his face.

“But sire, the Davions would take it as a slap in the face!” Shraplen exclaimed. “We’d bring them here!”

“No they wouldn’t. They wouldn’t care. As long as they got Sian, Grand Base, and Menke, the rest could go hang as far as they were concerned. Less for them to occupy.” He turned to Marshal Doru. “Haji, start cutting the orders for the units you think you need to pull this off. Let’s see if we can make this under the guise of a ‘humanitarian intervention.’ And Haji, we run into anything bigger than a Capellan regiment, turn tail and come home. Rollis would be a nice prize, but it wouldn’t be worth the blood in such a case, and we need the TDF to deal with the increase in pirate activity that is sure to when the Confederation falls.”

Doru saluted, and smiled. He hadn’t loved the Capellans much either, and was enjoying this chance to kick them while they were down. “I’ll get my staff on it today, we should be able to have a force there in say, 45 days or so. The TDF’s not mounted an operation like this in a long while. Oh, and milord?”

“Yes Doru?” Calderon inquired

“Might we ask for Canopean and Aurgian participation in a humanitarian capacity? They do have some assets we don’t, and it would look better all around.” Doru said firmly.

Calderon nodded. “You’re right, Doru. I will instruct the Diplomatic Corps to make the usual entreaties today. I suspect the Canopeans would be in. Not sure about the Aurgians, they’ve been pretty isolationist since that civil war of theirs back in ’25. But plan on them sending some non-combat units.”

“Yes, sir. We’ll get it done.”

Royal Palace
Dormuth
Marik
Marik Commonwealth
Free Worlds League
June 22nd, 3057

Corrine Marik smiled at how fate had a unique way of revealing itself. “Uncle” may have been a damned imposter, but I think he would have even smiled at the cast of characters I have assembled to save the League. But then again, we seem to be saving the League every decade or so.

The meeting was being held in a little-used drawing room that hadn’t seen use since the Reunification War. It had been swept for bugs by selected agents of SAFE, twice. The agents were selected on one criteria, having a record of not being loyal to her Uncle Paul, the current director. And, once by the dark robed gentleman standing silently in a corner, his head down. Little had been said about him, but he definitely made her other guest very uncomfortable indeed.

She was resplendent in a simple court dress of green, with blue highlights around the sleeves and the sides of the dress, and her face was unmistakable and her bright red hair, cut in a stylish bob completed the look. She was the current Dame of Andurien, Dalma Humphreys.

“Dalma. I know this meeting seems a bit, irregular. But I have some things to discuss with you, things I am not sure I want our Blakist ‘allies’ to be aware of.” A note of sarcasm colored Corrine’s voice as she said the word ‘allies’.

Dalma smiled and stated “Hence this little meeting that officially never happened?”

Corrine nodded. “I’ll deny the hell out of it if you ever speak of it. Of course, SAFE might just have you killed. Right after me, of course.”

Dalma blanched, but said nothing. Part of her couldn’t believe that Paul Marik would have his only child murdered at the whim of a religious cult. Then again, after running into him on Atreus during the opening of Parliament last month, the look in his eyes was nothing short of scary. And worse, he’s the damn director of SAFE now.

“So, Lady Marik, what is your will?” Dalma asked quietly.

“Simple. I think we need to address a future without the Capellan Confederation, or the Blakists. I’ve been trying to thread the needle with regards to both of them, but I think the time I have to do that is rapidly coming to an end. With the FC having counterattacked and threatening Sian itself? I think they’re going to demand I intervene more…directly.”

“And you have no intention of doing so, your highness?” Dalma inquired.

“You’re damned right, Dalma. And that’s where you come in. You might or might not be aware, but my Grandfather had quite significant slush funds set aside for emergencies such as this. The money would be significant to hire several top-flight mercenary units. And furthermore, I will be providing the locations of several lostech caches within the borders of the Duchy of Andurien.”

“To what end, your Highness?” Dalma inquired.

“Simple, I intend for you to act to retake lost worlds from the Capellans before the FC gets there. Call it whatever you will. I will have to, of course, make it look like you exceeded your authority, at least until I can make a clean sweep of the damn Blakists, but I think I can manage that with the people I have assisting me, especially this gentleman here.” And get me out of the crosshairs of the Steiner-Davions, I hope. Corrine extended a hand towards the robed gentleman.

“Your highness, I doubt I would get very far in reforming the Defenders before someone would notice.” Dalma stated, the disbelief crossing her face becoming quite pronounced now.

“Then it is a lucky thing I have been releasing a majority of them from custody over the last six months. Should be enough to reform three regiments, they’ll be a bit rusty, but I think you could, with Mercenary support, get a credible force together in ninety days. It’s not like you’re going to be facing the cream of the CCAF, to be honest.”

Dalma nodded. “May I ask who the gentleman is who will be of such assistance in cleaning out the Blakists, and their friends?”

Corrine nodded, and the figure lowered the hood of his robe.

Dalma’s mouth dropped in shock. He can’t be alive. They all died during the coup!

Paul Masters smiled at Dalma, his once pristine looks marred by an ugly scar running down the right side of his face. “We have some debts to collect from the Blakists. And they made the rules of this contest, Lady Humpreys. You do your part, and we will happily do ours. We will make their landhold on Gibson a parking lot when we are finished.” Paul Masters smiled a terrible smile, portending the death he intended to inflict on the fanatics.

Dalma shivered involuntarily. The cruel smile Masters gave was chilling from a man who had once been such a leading proponent of chivalry and “proper battlefield conduct.” I guess he has learned the lesson he needed to learn. There are no damn rules in dealing with the Blakists, save one: Make sure they are dead. Dalma did have one other question to ask, “What of the rest of the Knights? We thought you all died during the coup?”

Masters nodded “Certain members sacrificed themselves and some Battle ROMs were doctored with the cooperation of the Marik Guards who were supposedly sent to crush us. We then left Atreus in twos and threes, and reconstituted here, under the guise of several small mercenary units under garrison contract here. We have been waiting, training and getting ready for this day. And we are ready, Lady Humphreys.”

Dalma smiled contentedly, I think we can work with this. Figure 60 days to assemble a force and knock the rust off. That leaves us thirty days to get into position and launch across the Capellan border. Should be about the time the FC troops are fighting street to street in Sian itself. By the time they take the place in, oh say, mid-September, we’ll have grabbed a few worlds and made our people proud. And the Davions will say nothing. And apparently, neither will the Marik herself.

“We’re in your Highness. Let’s talk details.”
« Last Edit: 21 May 2019, 18:37:48 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #347 on: 21 May 2019, 19:50:24 »
Nice update!  Glad to the TC and FWL leadership having some sense!!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #348 on: 21 May 2019, 23:43:43 »
Looks like the Cappies are going to be at the middle of a feeding frenzy. Taurians, Argurians, probably Canopians and now the Mariks are all going to join in on this all you can eat buffet. But, as the FedCom is footing most of the bill, they get the biggest plate.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #349 on: 23 May 2019, 03:23:07 »
However, I think they might erronously belive that Feddies intend to kill off the CC, which isn't true, so in future they will have to deal with weakened CC who won't dare to go against FC again, but will need to fight against someone to recover some national pride.
Shoot first, laugh later.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #350 on: 24 May 2019, 12:54:07 »
Assembly Area, Keller’s Battalion, Davion Assault Guards RCT

10km North of Ceres City

Capella

Sarna March, Federated Commonwealth

June 25th, 3057

Kommandant Sarah Keller ran her hands through her shaved head, her auburn stubble was slick with sweat, and the bristles of her vestigial hair stung at her callused hands. She’d been doing 18 hour days in the last two weeks, running down Capellan fugitives who’d refused to obey orders from the Home Guard commander to lay down their arms. You’d think after the fight they put up in Ceres City, that would have been enough for them?

She shook her head at the last thought. She wasn’t as lucky as Rhys-Davion, his battalion had managed to get all the new Clantech, and as such, they’d been kept in reserve while her and Artie’ Mackensen’s battalions led the way into Ceres City, block by bloody block. Please god, don’t let this be a preview of what the hell is to come on Sian. I suspect we’re going to be held in reserve for that mess, though who knows, I hear the 1st Davion Guards are on Hexare already.

She looked around her battalions FOB, here there was an overworked field hospital, with harried medical personnel running about trying to save as many as they could. Most of the critical patients from the worst of the fighting had already begun the trip home, but the guerilla phase of the fighting had a steady drip of casualties from snipers, IEDs and just plain bad luck. She’d lost two ‘Mechwarriors in a stupid incident involving a GPV overturning. Their replacements hadn’t filled Keller with confidence. To her right, came the sound of tools banging away, and the whine of machinery. The techs were doing what they could to fix the machines they could. Not my Awesome, “Happy Girl” is too banged up to do anything but can for parts. Hope I can get a new machine before we leave this rock. Wouldn’t do for the BC to be without a ride.

She heard a voice clear his throat. She turned to face her XO, Hauptmann Jason Zibler. Zibler was like most of his family. Davion to the core, fine mechwarriors, and had a lot to live up to. Trouble was, he was painfully aware of it, and way too young for his job. I don’t care if he was an honor graduate of Sakahara. He is too damn young to be a Cap-I mean Hauptmann. We have really got to talk to the Steiners about all these German ranks. Zibler was 23, ten years younger than Keller, and his boyish features, framed by brown hair and eyes, did little but reinforce that image in Keller’s mind. He wasn’t bad at his job. He was a hard-working guy who was eager to learn, she just wasn’t sure the Assault Guards was the place to do it. Then again, the lady he’s replaced caught a Falcon inferno round as she ejected from her Stalker on Hot Springs. I hear she’s on skin graft number seven now.

”Um mam, there’s a party from DQ, and some civilian tech reps. They’re saying we’re getting some newfangled ‘Mech design. Not sure I’m too happy about that. Seems like the time we got fresh eggs before we were committed on Waldorff.” Zibler smiled sheepishly. His face had a look of don’t shoot the messenger, as he pointed to a small gaggle of civilians in out-of-place looking freshly pressed chinos, and rear-area types whose field uniforms didn’t have a speck of dirt or blood on them. And I bet they won’t hang around long enough for them to collect either of those things.

Keller remembered ruefully. And then we fought street by street against Jade Falcons who didn’t have enough sense to know their asses were kicked. She suddenly felt tired, at this point, she remembered an old saying by her father, another veteran of the Assault Guards, who’d said “Military glory is like a fish in the moonlight, it shines and stinks at the same time.” Dad was right. Keller had written twenty-five letters to families since the beginning of Clover Spear. And now, there was only the prospect of more ****** letters. Please, someone tell me we are closer to ending this thing and going home? My husband and kids are on Fraizer and I just want to go back to them when this is all over. She’d heard there was a Capellan raid back in November, and while she’d gotten an HPG from her husband that they were fine and with his family in the hills, it hadn’t done much for her morale overall.

“Send ‘em over, Zibler. Might as well find out what news DQ has for us?”

Zibler nodded, and waved at the gaggle, who numbered seven in total, five military and two civilian. They made their way over slowly, consciously avoiding the puddles and churned up mud that was often a feature of assembly areas and FOBs as vehicles and ‘Mechs did a fine job of churning the earth, even going at a sedate pace. He then came to attention, and grimaced.

As the group approached, she noticed one of the officers leading the group had his spurs, and was walking with a limp. His rank tabs were in the colors of the Deneb Light Cav, and he had a subdued 10th DLC patch on his right sleeve. Keller smiled weakly. Ok he’s seen the elephant. She regarded him further, his salt-and-pepper hair contrasted mixed with his crow’s feet had Keller thinking he might be some retread from ’39. Lordy, just what I need.

The party stopped at the proscribed distance. Keller came to attention, but didn’t salute, meriting a frown from a young Leftenant in the group. She was like Zibler, almost childlike in her appearance, her Asian ancestry not helping either. My god, she looks fourteen. And she wasn’t shy about her feelings either.

“We haven’t gotten a proper salute since we arrived here. AFFC is going right to hell, sir.”

Keller had had enough. “And you won’t, Leftenant. That is, unless you want to tell some Capellan sniper or FO who the hell you are and that you’re worth killing! So go ahead and expect something like back at Albion, or wherever the hell you graduated from?!”

The Kommandant turned and shot his Leftenant a warning look as if to say. We’ll be speaking about this later, Leftenant.

“My apologies for Leftenant Kwang. Like most Leftenants, she has a lot of rust to knock off. My name is Simmonson, late of Dominic’s Battalion, 10th Deneb Light Cavalry. I left a good chunk of my left leg in my Wolverine on Goat Path. They gave me a promotion, and this job being a DQ rep to Johnston Industries. In short, Kommandant Keller, we have a new ‘Mech for you. And, I think you’ll like her.” He handed over a datapad with a series of design specs.

“You run her yourself?” Keller asked, a bit of derision in her voice.

Simmonson nodded. “I have, even with this bum leg. But even as gimpy as I am, she responds well, and for an Assault ‘Mech, she’s pretty fleet of foot.”

Keller smiled as she scrolled through the contents of the datapad. “So, when do these fine new examples of Fedcom technology arrive?” she said as she picked her head up from the display, noticing for the first time Simmonson had grey eyes, and a smile that didn’t quite reach them.

Simmonson nodded as the vibration of ‘Mech footfalls could be felt in the distance. “Good of you to ask, Kommandant. How about “now?”

The link to the design will be here!

« Last Edit: 24 May 2019, 13:00:44 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #351 on: 24 May 2019, 17:13:06 »
Interesting

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #352 on: 03 June 2019, 21:55:45 »
AN: Another Omake from Yellowhammer!

Cat Fight Part 6

"I have often been asked how difficult it was to come to terms with my new family. Like all things in life, it was difficult in some areas, and even the simplest things can be very difficult... But it was also very easy in some surprising ways. For instance, my birth family has been called many things by our enemies. Bloody-handed tyrants, warmongering militarists, monsters, and madmen; and I shall never deny that some of my family were all of these things and more. But even in the worst and most bitter fighting of the Succession Wars, there has always been an understanding, an unspoken and unwritten as it may have been then, that there were no and would never be any cowards named Kurita, Davion, Steiner, or Sandoval in the ranks of the combatants..."

Omiko Steiner-Davion, My Path To The Top Of The Mountain: A Journey from Luthien to Kentares, New Avalon Press 3083

FSS Lion of Judah

Inbound to New Avalon

29 May, 3057

Field Marshal James Sandoval, Duke of Robinson and Minister of the Draconis March stared at the approaching crescent of New Avalon with the same focus that he had spent preparing for planetary invasions in his 43 years of service in the AFFS and then AFFC. In a way, this would be the most important planetary invasion of his career, he thought as he clasped his hands behind his back.

The hatch behind him opened, and he noticed a familiar reflection in the armorplast glass enter the room. Dressed in the uniform of a FedCom Leftenant General with Military Intelligence shoulder flashes, his oldest son joined him at the glass.

"Father," Tancred said quietly as he stepped alongside him, "The reports from March Command on Robinson have been collated and forwarded to us."

"Summarize," James said equally quietly.

"In brief, we have identified the units responsible for the attacks into the Addicks and Raman PDZs. Addicks was the 15th Dieron out of Al Na'ir striking Helen, Murchison, and Towne in terror raids, reinforced with a company each of Ryuken-ni as it reconstitutes with production from the factories on Quentin and Al Na'ir after sustaining heavy losses in the continuing infighting in Benjamin. McComb and Royal were each the 22nd Benjamin out of Marduk in a similar battalion-sized raid." Tancred paused and ran through his mental index cards. "The Snake raids into Addicks were clearly intended to damage infrastructure and cause casualties among our troops and civilians and were exceptionally brutal even for them. Raman caused moderate infrastructure damage and targeted a militia base on Royal that we had built up into a forward supply dump, and three food processing and packaging plants on McComb."

James grunted acknowledgment of the horrors that the antiseptic words covered.

Tancred sighed, "Three further points. First, prisoner interrogation from the Regulars that we captured on Royal revealed that the cousin of Victor's pet Snake ordered these attacks to 'discourage any ideas that we would have to challenge the Dragon and gain needed supplies'. Quote unquote. Second, we received a flash communication from the Skye March reporting an incursion into the Lyons thumb, no further details yet. Third, the raid on Helen hit the Sak's training battalion hard and...well you need to see for yourself."

James turned and walked to the holoprojector as Tancred fed in the data. The display fuzzed, and then showed an attractive young brunette woman dressed in Sakhara cadet uniform. "Victoria Sanromea-Davion, Class of '57. She is the second child of Duke Diego Sanromea-Davion of El Dorado. One older brother and three younger siblings." Left unsaid but understood by both men was the importance of the cadet family that held the primary banking capital of the Suns for their older cousins under the Sword and Sunburst. "She was part of the force that defended Konstance City and shortly after she engaged, she opened a data link back to HQ. See for yourself what happened."

The display changed to the cockpit of an Enforcer, and the Sandovals watched impassively as the doomed cadet fought bravely but inexpertly before being ruthlessly killed in her downed Enforcer.

James nodded. "Indeed, I see. Who else has seen it?"

Tancred gave a slight smile. "No one on New Avalon as of yet. One of my friends from the Class of '40 picked it out of the data dump that we give the Fox' Den weekly and held it 'pending verification' while up-channeling it to me privately. It won't officially arrive at HQ for four more days."

James grinned like a shark, "You were right and I was wrong when you argued me into attending Sakhara versus Robinson Battle Academy. I'll notify Diego personally, and I need you to speak to Yvonne privately so that we can marshal our arguments with Victor and Katherine. Once we get our forces mustered..."

His smile widened, "...that Snake in the Palace won't know what hit her."

Davion Palace

New Avalon

1 June, 3057

Omiko Kurita gave Victor Steiner Davion a happy smile that never reached her face as she sat in the private audience chamber next to him. Victor looked more at ease than he had been for the last two days now that the final strike to deal with the Liaos was scheduled. She reached over and took his remaining hand in hers, interlacing her fingers gently with his.

Her inner smile widened as she saw Katherine sipping tea before handing the empty cup to a servant. Her sister-in-law to be also looked like she had found some measure of inner peace now that the end was drawing night for the slayers of her parents.

The servant at the door coughed to get their attention. "Duke Sandoval of Robinson, Princess Steiner-Davion, Duke Sanromea-Davion of El Dorado, Leftenant General Sandoval, Your Highnesses."

Omi stiffened fractionally as Victor's hand clenched on hers in shock. Behind her impassive face, her mind raced faster than a sprinting Jenner as the four nobles entered.

The Lord of the Draconis March was immediately identifiable to her from her studies, of course, as was his son in his uniform. She spared a brief fond thought for the happiness that her friend Yvonne had in the presence of the dark-haired and dark-eyed military man on her elbow. The fourth man was unknown to her, although his reddish-brown hair, neatly groomed and waxed mustache, and slight resemblance to Victor identified him as the Sanromea-Davion Duke.

The delegation bowed as they reached their proscribed place. "Greetings Archon-Prince Steiner-Davion, Princess Regnant Steiner-Davion," Duke Sandoval's voice lost all warmth as he finished, "Baroness Tanaka of Ozawa."

Katherine smiled, "My Lords. Yvonne. Please be seated. It is good to see you all again. What concerns you?"

James Sandoval handed a data packet to the servant, who then took it to the holoprojector. "The Dragon has struck, as I have warned you."

A star map formed and zoomed in on the border with the Combine six stars scattered up and down the border began to blink orange. Sandoval began to point out details as Victor, Katherine, and Omi leaned forward to examine the map.

"Combine Battlemech units have raided Royal, McComb, Helen, Murchinson, and Towne with elements of three separate Battlemech regiments, including one of the Ryuken that Miyako Kurita is using for her shock troops. In addition, I just received words from Skye that the 40th Galedon Regulars have occupied Sabik and Atria in an apparent first stage attack to isolate and pocket the Lyons Thumb. DMI's analysis is appended."

Omi's eyes widened as red arrows struck from Kessel and Dieron to envelop the bulge of Lyran worlds between them. Victor withdrew his hand from hers and pointed. "We don't have much in the way of reliable units with the AFFC holding down Skye and disarming Ryan Steiner's separatists. That could be a big problem. How firm are these troop numbers?"

Tancred Sandoval stood alongside his father. "Sire, 72% probability. As you know, DMI, MIIO, and LIC all shifted the focus of their efforts to the Clan OZs for Clover Spear, and then to the Capellan March and Sarna March when the Liaos struck us. So we have had to rely heavily on your friend's networks. With the chaos in the Combine, multiple regimental forces believed to be loyal to both factions have gone missing. We know that Pesht was being stripped with unconfirmed reports of heavy shipping movements in Benjamin and Galedon. We have confirmation that Miyako is rotating the more damaged units back to Dieron to rebuild Mech losses and integrate replacements while Franklin is believed to have concentrated the Amphigean Light Assault Group and Proserpina Hussars on Matsuida where they act as a threat to the entire Dahar PDZ and the Rimward edge of Raman to Robinson. A pathway that they used in the First Succession War."

Hostile red icons formed and dotted lines showed two possible attack vectors to Robinson.

Victor glanced at Omi, "Have you seen evidence of this?"

The Kurita royal leaned forward with an intent look on her face, "Iie, not as such for invasion plans... Although Miyako is growing more and more unstable from all my information. My advice to you regarding her may not have been the best, I fear."

Diego Sanromea-Davion glared at Omi with naked hatred on his face as he interjected. "Your advice! Your advice killed mi niña pequeña because you did not call the Kuritas the threat that they are!"

Katherine spoke up as Omi's eyes widened in shock, "What is this news, cousin?"

Tancred touched a control and the last moments of Victoria Sanromea-Davion were played. All eyes turned to Omi, who was watching with a pale face. The Kurita took a deep breath and stared into Duke Sanromea-Davion's eyes as she bowed her head in apology. "I have indeed erred, and my error has harmed you and yours. I swear upon my honor that I shall make amends for what my poor decisions have wrought."

"Words! Words are not enough, only deeds will serve now! I shall see the price that your honor is worth. Mi Victoria..." Sanromea-Davion subsided at a quelling touch and look from Yvonne, who shook her head silently.

Whatever response was coming to that was interrupted my Kommandant Parvati's entrance. "Pardon the interruption, but I have FLASH traffic from our Combine network that just arrived at the Palace communication center."

DCA Hiryu

Hachiman

28 May 3057

Miyako Kurita surveyed the holographic display as her three regiments drove toward the industrial planet below. Ryuken-yon, under her personal command, spearheaded the wedge with the left flank being Reyuken-san's two battalions. To the right, was the rebuilt Sixth Ghost Regiment, filled out with the few survivors of the Seventh Ghost Regiment after their battle on Yumesta against the Jaguars.

"Transmission received from the surface, Coordinator."

"Display it." Miyako snapped out. The tactical map blinked out to show a corpulent, bald-headed Japanese man.

For long moments the two surveyed each other before the man bowed. "Coordinator-dono."

Miyako smiled slightly as she gestured for him to rise. "Uncle Chandrasekhar. You have news?"

"I do. The city garrison withdrew to their base and boarded their dropships two days ago when they detected your presence. They have been moving supplies constantly from Masamori City to their new position at the Hachiman Technical Institute from the spaceport on their base by cargo dropship. My corporate security troops have secured Yoshitune Spaceport and I shall await your arrival there."

Miyako nodded, "Good, I will finish securing Masamori City from the main spaceport and then deal with their positions at the Institute."

"Be warned, I have little intelligence on their defenses there. Security is quite tight and the junkyard surrounding it is hazardous."

An alarm sounded on the bridge. "Enemy fighters coming from behind the moon, Coordinator!"

Miyako gave a slashing motion at the commtech to cut the transmission. "Deploy our fighter screen, assume air-defense formation!"

"Older craft. Sholagars. Hardly a threat to us, Coordinator even if they have caught us unawares."

The explosion of a nuclear-armed kamikaze ASF flown by the fanatical cadets of the 13th Sun Zhang Academy Cadre gave the lie to that statement as DCA Urizen Kurita was shattered by the nuclear detonation along with the 2nd battalion of Ryuken-san.

Miyako's eyes narrowed as she chewed over the actions of the enemy and came to an unpleasant conclusion

Chandrasekhar Kurita had betrayed her. Betrayed the Dragon. The Spaceport was a trap.

Her eyes turned icy and she hissed. "Relay my orders to all naval units. Load Shinrikyō missiles for saturation bombardment of our planned spacehead. I shall lead the Battlemech deployment from the atmosphere."

As the Dropships drove toward the ground, their long-range missile launchers fired five salvos of missiles from their magazines at the city as they passed through the stratosphere. As the warheads flew toward the ground, the rotation and speed of their transit caused the seals between the two halves of the warhead to fail and the contents to mix precursor chemicals together.

At 1000 meters, fuses fired and the missiles blew apart, dispensing a cloud of heavier than air droplets over the spaceport and Masamori City surrounding it. Developed early in the Second Succession War by direct order of Coordinator Jinjiro Kurita, the nerve agent chlorosarin-4 (codenamed Shinrikyō) was the holy grail of the search for a lethal agent to secure spaceheads. Highly lethal, inhalation would kill humans in minutes, but the compound was unstable and susceptible to breakdown in under an hour, obviating the need to wear chemical gear for anything but to handle the smell of the corpses that it generated.

The first indication Chandrasekhar Kurita and the other gathered dignitaries at the spaceport had that anything was amiss was when their pupils dilated. Drooling, urination, vomiting, and defecation followed as the nerve gas attacked their neurons, followed by muscle spasms, suffocation, and death by asphyxiation.

The cameras that were filming the welcome ceremony for Coordinator Miyako Kurita and broadcasting the spectacle planet-wide caught the full horror of the attack including Chandrasekhar Kurita's last moments even as their operators crumpled and died.

By the time Miyako's Naginata command Mech landed at the head of her troops from their mid-altitude drop, fatalities on Hachiman from her arrival were already in four figures and rising steadily.

Worse was to come to Masamori City. Far worse.

Davion Palace

New Avalon

1 June, 3057

The room was silent as the grave as the images that had been transmitted from Masamori City finally came to an end.

Victor looked around the room, seeing equally shocked faces. "We have to do something. Options?"

James Sandoval cleared his throat. "I have a contingency plan worked up. Operation NAQAM would send additional forces to the Lyons Thumb to repel the invasion. I plan on the 2nd Robinson Rangers from Phecda since they just need jumpship assets to move from the Marik frontier to the Lyons Thumb. The First Rangers would move to Royal and then secure Marduk along with Raman DMM assets. meanwhile, mercenary units will be assembled to pin down and secure the Mech factories on Quentin and Al Na'ir to punish the units responsible backed with conventional forces supplied from the Addicks and Kentares DMM. I have already arranged funding and have agents acting under my authority as Commander of the Draconis March speaking to representatives of several mercenary units on Outreach and Galatea."

Katherine rubbed her temples and sighed. "As long as it does not interfere with our planned attack into the Capellan Confederation, I can authorize that. But the Capellans must be put down for good now."

Yvonne and Victor nodded. "Agreed."

Omi spoke quietly as she looked at the corpse of another of her family members. "I... pledge you my full assistance. We must minimize the damage and that means that Miyako Kurita must be defanged. Uncle Chandy... Moushiwake gozaimasen deshita. Morning Glory, even though you wither, dawn will break anew."

The Kurita royal bowed her head and swallowed her tears as the holoprojector was switched off
FedCom Fan!

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #353 on: 03 June 2019, 23:12:34 »
Damn, she totally flipped out. Poor Chaney. He was a cool character for sure.

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #354 on: 04 June 2019, 00:40:35 »
Damn, she totally flipped out. Poor Chaney. He was a cool character for sure.
yes, very open minded
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #355 on: 04 June 2019, 01:00:38 »
If I was in place of Katherine and Victor, I would make a mental note that Draconis March witheld intelligence so James and Tancred could ambush them politically.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #356 on: 04 June 2019, 11:48:16 »
If I was in place of Katherine and Victor, I would make a mental note that Draconis March witheld intelligence so James and Tancred could ambush them politically.
and now you need to wonder what else they are holding back
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #357 on: 09 June 2019, 19:38:33 »
man the FC is going to have some very tired units, if they do not keep an eye on them. 

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #358 on: 10 June 2019, 00:28:03 »
3056-7 bloody merry go arround

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #359 on: 24 June 2019, 18:20:23 »
Ilse Liao Secondary School for Young Women

Sian

Capellan Confederation

June 19th, 3057

Tears shone in the eyes of Mei Wong. She’d been a teacher for 25 years and had served the Capellan state loyally, turning out generations of proper Capellan women prepared to do their service to the state in all walks of life. She glanced around her classroom. It was small, with the desks cramped together around a small heater that barely worked in the winter months. In the summer, the room was near stifling with the windows closed, but the raid wardens had insisted that with the enemy so close to Sian these days, the windows had to remain closed, and taped.

But what she was being asked to teach her girls today? It was madness. She glanced at the “wall of honor.” The wall was a simple corkboard, with black framed photos of former students who had given the “last full measure for the Capellan State.” They had been old enough. They had volunteered or been properly conscripted at the legal age. This? This is the murder of children. And I am complicit. What kind of monster have I become?

Her morning Capellan History class filed into the room. Their ages were between twelve and fourteen, all were in the school uniform of Liao Green skirts, and silver sweaters, and most of them did the usual things young teen girls did, whispering to each other about the latest gossip. Who liked who, who did what? And how one could break the rules and get away with it. Mei always smiled when she saw this. It’s happy, and normal, and this, what I am being asked to do, it’s not something to be asked of these girls, damn them. Putting half trained girls against Davion ‘Mechs? What in the nine hells justifies this?

She turned towards the ever-present Maskirovka minder sitting in the corner. He was a small, bookish fellow who’d been a semi-permanent shadow for many years. He even had a teaching degree himself, which surprised Mei when he’d first been introduced ten years before. He’d never reported anyone. Usually, he simply cleared his throat, and corrected the behavior with a light touch. Everyone liked “Minder Po,” as he was known affectionately. He often participated as an teacher’s assistant and really helped Mei do her job, but even someone like him, supposedly so fanatically dedicated to the state, was unnerved by what was to come.

Mei clapped twice. She smiled a weak smile and said “Good Morning Class. Time for our daily devotions to the Chancellor and our beloved state!” A bit of hysteria crept into her voice at the last bit, knowing what was coming.

The class smiled, and bowed in the direction of the Forbidden City.

Mei led the class in the daily devotional:

“I am a Capellan, my citizenship is earned through devoted service. I serve my family, state and the Chancellor himself. I act every day to better these things, even if it may cost me life, or limb. I will act every day to bring ruin to traitors, Davions, and Mariks. This I pledge with my life, and the lives of my family, should I prove unworthy. Long Live the Capellan State!”

The class repeated the mantra half-interested. It had become routine to them by now, and like most teenagers, they already had a healthy mistrust of all things adult. But, growing up in the Confederation, they learned fast the truth of the old saying about being “the nail that stood out.”

“Greetings class, today, we will not be continuing our lesson on the reign of Warex Liao. Today, we have a guest lecturer. Subcommander Rytov is here from the local Home Guard, and he is here to discuss with you ways you can contribute to the defense of the Confederation!”

The rickety door to the classroom opened with a bang, and in stormed in a short, but muscular man, or at least he seemed to be. He wore a standard issue combat dress, neatly pressed, but faded, and threadbare. Mei recognized it from her own time in the CCAF with Stapelton’s Iron Hand on Tikonov, back in the Fourth War. She noticed one could see his reflection in his boots. His visage was frightening, his ears were gnarled remnants of flesh, and his face was badly scarred, with the left sleeve of his uniform empty. His right hand was encased in a black glove, and a black eye patch and missing teeth that made his smile even more horrifying completed an image that made Mei shiver involuntarily.

“Greetings children. Or should I say soldiers. I never had much use for school.” Rytov’s voice was booming. He was used to being on a parade ground, chivying around the part-time soldiers of the Home Guard on Sian for parades, memorials, and the like. But the medals on his chest suggested he’d seen action with someone. And so does that face.

“The Davions are at the door, soldiers. And it is time for you to cast off your youth and do your part for the state that has given you so much, eh? You’ll be like the heroes who gave their all on that wall!” as he pointed with his one good hand at the Wall of Honor. The class was of mixed reactions to this, some giggled, some looked at him with rapt attention, and some looked as if all they wanted to do was bolt from the classroom and run home to their parents. If I could, I’d encourage them all to do so. But the sad part is, I can’t. An order from the Chancellor, is an order from the Chancellor. Or as my father put it in his native Russian, “Prikaz y Prikaz – Orders are Orders.”

“For the next two hours, we’re going to teach you all we can to kill Davions. They may look tough, but it’s just looks. They will shrink at killing you because you are little girls. We will teach them you are instead, Capellan citizens willing to do their duty for the state!”

20 minutes later

“Good, Tsu Ling. It’s always the smallest they underestimate the most, nice work on that dummy with the bamboo stave!”

Tsu was fourteen, she’d been picked on a lot by the other girls and Mai often had to intervene. Now the state was handing her a bamboo stave, and an improvised shaped charge and telling her to ‘kill five Davions before she died!’ And she was eating it up like candy! Little Tsu was sensitive, wrote poetry about boys and love, not…not this.

“Next!” shouted Rytov.

Au Shang, a gangly girl of fifteen who had done well in track and field came up, she was shaking and crying. She dropped the stave and shook her head. “No, I won’t. I don’t want to die. I won’t do this! I want to go home!”

Rytov grimaced, and produced a small pistol as if by magic, and put it to Shang’s head.

“One chance, girl. Pick up the stave or die right here.”

She continued to cry.

Rytov’s pistol spoke once with a sharp retort, and Shang’s body fell like a puppet with its strings cut. Blood poured from the open wound in her head, her life flooding below her in a crimson mess of ichor and brains. Rytov then tucked away the pistol, and turned to the rest of the girls. “That is the price of disobedience from now on; death. You will follow orders with speed and cheer. I give everyone one chance, after that, you will be executed, as well as your families for cowardice in the face of the enemy.”

“Now, anyone else want to be a traitor?” the crowd was as silent as a tomb.

“Alright then, let’s break for lunch while the janitorial staff cleans up the unsightly mess.”

Situation Room

Fox’s Den

Mount Davion

New Avalon

Federated Commonwealth

June 20th, 3057

So far, so good, things appear to be on schedule, but Victor did mention ‘nothing ever goes to plan in war or love.’ And damn him, he’s been right about both. Katherine Morgan Steiner Davion was on tent hooks as she gazed intently at the holodisplay as Jackson Davion presented the plans for the second, and hopefully, last phase of ACTIVE PANTHER.

“If all goes according to plan, we should be concluding this operational pause by the middle of July, as we clean up things in Sarna. As of now, for the most part, CCAF units are pulling back across the 3055 border faster than we can catch them in many cases. We aren’t seeing a lot of mass surrenders, but units are fleeing hard for what they imagine is the safety of the Capellan border. We all know how safe that really is.” There was a chuckle at the last comment from around the room. Jackson had done a great job filling Morgan’s shoes while he was still in a coma on New Syrtis, but his prognosis was a bit grimmer than Victor’s had been. And who is going to tell him about his wife? God, will he want to live after that?

“As for our plans for Sian, we expect our initial landings to occur in late July, and follow on landings soon after. We are planning for a total of 8-10 RCTs to invest Sian once we get going, and we estimate, best case, we will reduce and secure Sian by the end of October. Worst case, end of December. They cannot stop us, but they can run out the clock, and kill a lot of our boys and girls.” Jackson grimaced at that last part.

Katherine shook her head. “Jackson, I know Victor hates me asking, because he always says the worst case predictions never come true, but how bad is worst case in terms of casualties?”

Jackson cleared his throat. “Your Highness, these are rough, but the estimates of our intelligence and medical staff here, and in theatre? And this is assuming the Capellans fight like we expect they will, plus twenty percent of the civilian populace actually fights as part of these ‘People’s Victory Banner Battalions’ we hear talk of, plus other considerations? The numbers of dead and wounded could top one million.”

“What other considerations, Jackson?”

“Capellan use of WMD.” Jackson said flatly, which led to some of the more junior aides gasping.

“You really think they’d do it, Jackson?” Katherine said, her knees feeling a bit weak at the thought.

“Considering the Combine didn’t hesitate on Luthien when the Smoke Jaguars came? I see no reason to think otherwise when it comes to us.”

“We have anything concrete?”

“My intelligence staff has seen increased movement and message traffic at a special weapons depot on Sian we keep regular tabs on. Nothing concrete, but no reason to expect that was just some sort of exercise.”

Katherine swore softly. “So, it’s come to this. What’s our response if they nuke our troops, Jackson?”

“We sterilize Sian, and become the damned pariah of the Inner Sphere, but honestly, we can’t recommend anything less or everybody will nuke our boys and girls.” Jackson grimaced, it was obvious this very thought was keeping him up at night. “Your Highness, the Capellans have had a robust WMD program for centuries. Our experiences during the 4th War on Tall Trees and Wei have shown us that. And we have no reason to believe they won’t use such weapons in an attempt to stave off defeat at a time like this. I might recommend such a thing if our situation was reversed.”

“You’re asking me to sterilize worlds, Jackson. Whole worlds.”

Jackson’s eyes bored into Katherine’s “Yes, mam. If it comes to that, I am. And I am sorry. If it comes to that. I will do my duty, and then I will resign. I didn’t join the AFFC to murder billions of people whose only crime was to be born in a nation with a seriously messed up cult of personality in charge. But I will do my duty, Unfinished Book help me.”
FedCom Fan!