Author Topic: Variable Damage Improvement Idea  (Read 979 times)

Phaedros

• Corporal
  • The Wolf of the West
Variable Damage Improvement Idea
« on: 13 April 2019, 00:12:17 »
So, a Facebook post about variable damage got my noggin joggin, and I realized there's one part of variable damage that could do with improvement: The possibility of doing 0 damage on a hit (aside from 0* damage).

I think the best way to handle variable damage with respect to that, is this: If the attacking unit's damage value for that range is 1 or higher, you deal 1 damage to the target, then you roll dice equal to that unit's damage value minus 1 (as you've already dealt that damage), and any rolls of 4+ each do 1 damage as per normal.

It's a slight tweak to the rule that swings it back from being totally random.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 13 April 2019, 00:14:20 by Phaedros »

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Re: Variable Damage Improvement Idea
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2019, 03:01:42 »
We have used that for a while. Later we switched to rolling to hit for each point of damage you can cause (so you roll 3 times at difficulty 8+, for example, if you have damage 3 in your profile.

We play AS in a RPG fashion, so this is not a problem since we do not roll that many attacks per turn

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
Re: Variable Damage Improvement Idea
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2019, 09:31:21 »
Yeah, that was me. I made the post.  :-\

I am a fan of rolling 2d6 per point of damage because it feels more in line with how you roll for weapon hits in BattleTech. So I based it off of DFA Wargaming's house rule to speed it up. If you roll 1d6 as a pilot die with a pool of d6 = to damage, it's faster than rolling 2d6 per point and works off of higher and lower target modifiers... unlike the current method. That's why I figured it was worth bringing it up.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Register