Author Topic: Harebrained Battletech - Silly rabbit. Mechs are for kids.  (Read 30029 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Continue discussion...

now.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
Re: Harebrained Battletech - Silly rabbit. Mechs are for kids.
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2021, 18:08:53 »
I did enjoy the Assassin after I got the DLC. The first time I opened the bonus 'catch-up' crate I got a Phoenixhawk!

As for the assaults: I don't mind them, although I think I prefer the Bull Shark to the Annihilator.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2021, 18:33:18 »
I think my smash and grab team ended up being a pair of assassins and pair of vulcans, though the fixed equipment in the vulcan CT is sub optimal when you start collecting decent gyro mods.

For general use, I tend to end up still using heavies a bunch even late game.  Just never liked how slow and plodding assaults are.  That bullshark IS a nice mech, though.  Don't think I've gotten one besides the flashpoint mech, though

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2021, 18:38:04 »
Still not able to finish the initial download, even though I'm an original KS backer, do to a simple laptop unable to get the requirements up to code... Now I do have an X-Box One... is this a possible download system?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2021, 19:26:01 »
Well, my latest attempt to get Dekker through to the end of the campaign just failed  :'(

Since I'm not willing to simply never field him, I tried to keep him in something fairly durable so he was in a Wolverine with max armour and a +2 wound protection cockpit. On turn 6 he was targetted by every enemy on the field (6 of them) even though I had mechs that were easier to hit, closer to the enemy, or both. He took two head hits, one side torso destroyed, knocked down, and then CT cored before I could stand him up again to eject or run away  :-\
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2021, 19:27:28 »
Two random notes:

1) The more I watched videos of Mechwarrior 5:  Mercenaries the more I wanted to revisit Battletech.

2) I enjoyed introducing my two boys to skirmish mode with their own custom lances.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2021, 19:48:21 »
I think that the only thing I've ever gotten from the lootbox was a Vulcan.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2021, 21:37:52 »
I think that the only thing I've ever gotten from the lootbox was a Vulcan.

im like 5/5 on Phoenix Hawks, i didnt actually realize any thing other than the P. Hawk came in it. When i asked my friend hes gotten other things and i was confused.

Two random notes:

1) The more I watched videos of Mechwarrior 5:  Mercenaries the more I wanted to revisit Battletech.

2) I enjoyed introducing my two boys to skirmish mode with their own custom lances.

Hmm yes. Me too. I have been wanting to return to BT also, been thinking about one of the larger mod packs for this go around.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2021, 21:39:20 »
Ignore me. I be listening to the conversation.  :-X
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Akamia

• Captain
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2021, 00:34:27 »
I for one would love to play some MP skirmishes with some folks here. But I don’t have any mods installed and don’t intend to start until I’ve got a better PC to play on; I doubt most mods for the game work with Mac anyways, but even if they do, I don’t think my machine in particular can handle them. ;D I wish I could play with some mods, though, especially for multiplayer; the vanilla game’s skirmish mode feels so much like an afterthought, it hurts.
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2021, 02:00:33 »
I for one would love to play some MP skirmishes with some folks here. But I don’t have any mods installed and don’t intend to start until I’ve got a better PC to play on; I doubt most mods for the game work with Mac anyways, but even if they do, I don’t think my machine in particular can handle them. ;D I wish I could play with some mods, though, especially for multiplayer; the vanilla game’s skirmish mode feels so much like an afterthought, it hurts.

it was a late stretch goal iirc, and yeah its kinda tacked on.

there are some mods that shouldnt add too much processing power. There a semi-recent post on the BattleTechGame reddit that covers 7 of the larger mods. there were two that basically didnt change much, but then again by not changing much they arent super interesting
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2021, 12:48:06 »
For general use, I tend to end up still using heavies a bunch even late game.  Just never liked how slow and plodding assaults are.  That bullshark IS a nice mech, though.  Don't think I've gotten one besides the flashpoint mech, though

Not only am I a fan of the Marauder, and like the Alex Iglesias version in game, but it is damn overpowered with the headshot special. 

Just for fun, I ran a career that was a 'no assaults' career, and ended my last 600 days piloting two Marauders, (star league and a regular 3R), A warhammer and a Rifleman for the funsies.  It was fun, lost a couple pilots (60 tons dies pretty fast to a full board of enemies) and rebuilt the Rifleman like 8 times. 

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 21 June 2021, 00:20:46 »
Ran a brawling lance with ECM against a friend in MP today. All our ‘Mechs were modified, I believe. I dunno, the OpFor’s Hatchetman might’ve been stock, but I doubt it. ;D Anyway, I was running a Cataphract 0X, Centurion AL, Hatchetman 3X, and Black Knight 6. The OpFor brought his own Hatchetman 3X, a Jenner D, and two Archer 2Rs. We played on Metro Green, instead of our usual map, River Crossing.

Ever since I demonstrated the terrifying power of massed LRMs, and the Archer chassis in particular (in HBSTech at least), by completely thrashing his assault ‘Mech lances using a full lance of ARC-2Rs, he’s started making use of more varied weight classes. Usually with at least two Archers in the mix, but always with a Jenner spotter, as like me, he usually likes to fight at range. Today I exploited that, but that might be because he didn’t commit to it completely as I usually do. ;D

I’m mildly concerned about the day he eventually deploys my own Archer lance against me. He modified his Archers to take away the lasers and add heat sinks and (I think) LRM ammo instead, while I usually run stocks in that lance. ECM is fine for countering indirect fire if the OpFor is not using sensor lock, but we both make regular use of that ability, even in ‘Mechs equipped with the X-1 EW equipment out of a desire to reserve the active probe ability for close engagements with a lot of enemies. I dunno if I can reliably counter an Archer quartet with anything other than an Archer quartet. lol
« Last Edit: 22 June 2021, 05:26:41 by Akamia »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 21 June 2021, 00:34:51 »
HBS is PC only. 

Still not able to finish the initial download, even though I'm an original KS backer, do to a simple laptop unable to get the requirements up to code... Now I do have an X-Box One... is this a possible download system?

TT

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 22 June 2021, 22:50:06 »
Alright, mild vent post incoming, but here. ;D

I think it’s a little annoying that evac zones are overwhelmingly consistently placed behind enemy reinforcements, if applicable. The entire point of having the evac is for the player to escape from battle without having to complete secondary objectives, but generating evac zones behind enemy reinforcements runs contrary to that. It effectively means I have to finish the secondary objective of destroying enemy reinforcements whether I want to or not.

It doesn’t damage my immersion at all, but from a gameplay perspective, it’s pretty annoying. Normally it doesn’t matter, because I can usually squash the reinforcements quite handily, but on the occasions where I can’t or just don’t want to, and the evac is behind those reinforcements, the evac might as well not even be there. lol

To say something nice, though, I gave the Bull Shark a try for the first time, in a single-player skirmish with a lance of other dakka ‘Mechs – specifically a JagerMech, Rifleman, and Blackjack. It’s not the one from the flashpoint, obviously, but it puts out hurt just fine. I think it’s the most expensive single ‘Mech in the game in that mode, actually. ;D At about 30 million C-Bills, by itself it puts a lance in the Unlimited budget with no other ‘Mechs in the lance. I don’t know if there are any other ‘Mechs that have a similar effect, but that was particularly noticeable to me.

Edit: Turns out the CP-10-HQ Cyclops, the second most expensive ‘Mech in HBSTech’s skirmish mode, also puts a lance over the “War” budget threshold (25M C-Bills) just by itself, as the BSK-M3 does. Every other individual stock ‘Mech beneath it in the game is cheap enough to at least stand alone in a “Clash” budget game (15M C-Bills). Go figure!
« Last Edit: 23 June 2021, 04:14:48 by Akamia »

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #15 on: 23 June 2021, 18:51:50 »
I agree with the evac zone thing.  On the rare occasions that I use them I almost always have to take a very scenic route due to where the evac zone is situated vis a vies the enemy reinforcements. 

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #16 on: 01 July 2021, 00:21:33 »
restarted today (first after getting my new monitors).
still a buggy crash prone thing.. i had to disable my audio entirely to avoid it from crashing mid intro during the tutorial, and i only got 3 missions in before it froze and crashed on mission loading.(literally the first contract i got to choose)

seriously, why haven't they fixed this stuff after so many years? the audio bug causing crashing has apparently been known about since they launched the game and they never fixed it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: 01 July 2021, 06:55:27 »
Is the company toast now?  They've not made anything since they were purchased back in 2018.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 01 July 2021, 11:06:58 »
Is the company toast now?  They've not made anything since they were purchased back in 2018.

Working on some secret project for Paradox I think.  No clue what they are doing.  They are still hiring, so they must be up to something!

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 01 July 2021, 11:12:46 »
still a buggy crash prone thing.. i had to disable my audio entirely to avoid it from crashing mid intro during the tutorial, and i only got 3 missions in before it froze and crashed on mission loading.(literally the first contract i got to choose)

seriously, why haven't they fixed this stuff after so many years? the audio bug causing crashing has apparently been known about since they launched the game and they never fixed it.
Just curious - what version/OS you have? The latest - 1.9.1. -686R is very stable, at least in windows.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #20 on: 01 July 2021, 11:55:33 »
Working on some secret project for Paradox I think.  No clue what they are doing.  They are still hiring, so they must be up to something!

They have as many as three games in the prototyping phase, from what I've heard. All will be original IP I am pretty sure, dashing my hopes of them finishing the classic FASA "big three" with a new Crimson Skies title.
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 01 July 2021, 13:05:48 »
Just curious - what version/OS you have? The latest - 1.9.1. -686R is very stable, at least in windows.
the 1.9.1 update.
on a Windows10, ASUS PC, AMD A6-3620 APU  2.20 GHz, 16.0 GB. with a AMD Radeon HD 7500 series graphics card.

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 01 July 2021, 13:14:39 »
the 1.9.1 update.
on a Windows10, ASUS PC, AMD A6-3620 APU  2.20 GHz, 16.0 GB. with a AMD Radeon HD 7500 series graphics card.
Strange - with that configuration most people don't have problems.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #23 on: 02 July 2021, 06:27:07 »
They have as many as three games in the prototyping phase, from what I've heard. All will be original IP I am pretty sure, dashing my hopes of them finishing the classic FASA "big three" with a new Crimson Skies title.
I guess that what happens when you get new owner calling the shots.  We may not see anything from them again unless Paradox wants revisit things.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #24 on: 02 July 2021, 18:35:20 »

That's weird.  I've got 800+ hours of playing time and it's crashed on me maybe three times?  And not at all that I can think of since the last update.  It could be a compatibility issue with whichever particular chipset you're using. 

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 04 July 2021, 02:28:00 »
Managed to get it working. Couple hours with no crash, actually left of my own Accord.
Found a listing of things that help reduce crashes.. many I'd already tried (admin rights, exceptions in my antivirus, shutting down background stuff, etc) but somewhere along the way something must have work. Wonder how long it'll last.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 04 July 2021, 17:14:02 »
Lost my first pilot in a two skull convoy raid.
It was Dekker.
Dammit.

Convoy included a striker, a narc striker, lrm carrier, and a freaking manticore. Which took out my vindicator while the rest of the lance were dealing with the trio of mediums in the escort (blackjack, Griffen, and shadow hawk)
Just bad luck he got narced then missile spammed

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 04 July 2021, 17:24:59 »
Lost my first pilot in a two skull convoy raid.
It was Dekker.
Dammit.

Convoy included a striker, a narc striker, lrm carrier, and a freaking manticore. Which took out my vindicator while the rest of the lance were dealing with the trio of mediums in the escort (blackjack, Griffen, and shadow hawk)
Just bad luck he got narced then missile spammed
I see Dekker continues is series of deaths - you even have a achievement if you can complete the campaign with Dekker alive. BTW, fear the SRM carriers.

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 04 July 2021, 17:45:45 »
I feel sorry for all the dead Dekkers. I’m very fortunate that mine is still alive, well into the post game. ;D

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 06 July 2021, 23:15:38 »
Bagged a second AS7-D from the “Red Hunt” Flashpoint. With two AS7-Ds and the AS7-D-HT, I am one Atlas or Atlas II away from a Steiner Scout Squad. :D

I refitted the AS7-D-HT with the weapons loadout of the base model AS7-D-H. I think an LB 10-X AC is probably more useful to me than an AC/20 at this point. ;D

Fighting the Gray Death Legion was fun. Knew most of their names, thanks to reading the books. Too bad I lost the first mission. I was able to take out the secondary lance, and I think half of the command lance, specifically Grayson and Lori, but McCall and Clay finished off their last objective building, handing me the L. I found it slightly amusing that both lances ignored me completely and focused on shooting down buildings. I wonder if I would have been able to beat both lances and gotten the full contract payment… Oh well. Maybe I’ll try again in career mode some day.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2021, 00:01:18 by Akamia »