Author Topic: The Rasalhague Dominion dual executive?  (Read 2782 times)

Alan Grant

• Captain
The Rasalhague Dominion dual executive?
« on: 17 January 2016, 17:11:21 »
From what I've been able to learn, the Rasalhague Dominion is now ruled by a Dominion Council and a Clan Council, with a Prince and Khan as the executive branch.

I'm trying to figure out if one of those individuals is regarded as over the other, or if the Prince and Khan are regarded as equals. If Equals, I'm trying to figure out how they would resolve issues in which they are in disagreement.

EDIT: I'm also looking for specifics on the Dominion Council. Are these elected individuals? The Valdherre of each world? Is there more than one legislative body?
« Last Edit: 17 January 2016, 18:00:25 by Alan Grant »

mad_cat

• Recruit
  • Just a writer who needs an escape
    • Madness of a Modern Writer
Re: The Rasalhague Dominion dual executive?
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2016, 20:02:57 »
From what I can see, the Prince handles matters related to the civilians, while the Khan deals with military. Likely they are equal to each other. All other matters are a decision between them and the council.

Both Prince and Khan appear to be elected positions.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2016, 20:53:05 »
They are not equals.

Quote from: Touring the Stars, Volume XXIV: Symbiosis—The Raslahague Dominion Today
The Ghost Bear Dominion formally became the Rasalhague Dominion—an equal blend of Clan and Inner Sphere—with the election of its first Prince, saKhan Ragnar Magnusson, in 3103. The first and only Prince to ever hold the dual titles of Ghost Bear saKhan and supreme ruler of the Dominion, Magnusson relinquished his Clan title to help clarify the chain of command. Khan Aletha Kabrinski, his former commander and leader of the half-integrated Clan Ghost Bear, at once became his subordinate, a second-in-command and commander-in-chief of the Dominion defense forces under the new order.

Quote from: ibid.
For the Bears, it was a leap of faith. Though the trueborn warriors and their militarized subcastes maintained the ways of the Clan—including their hallowed breeding program, now maintained by warrior-techs and warrior-scientists, to prevent their loss to the restriction-free civilian sector—they actually bargained away their ultimate authority over the people they once governed. The Clan would rule all military affairs as before, but could no longer handle matters on its own initiative.

The Prince, however, must have military experience. And the Dominion Council, which is made up of 1/3 Clan warriors, 1/3 freeborn warriors, and 1/3 civilians, has the power to remove a Prince or Khan.

Also, certain Clan traditions—most notably the Trial of Refusal—were adopted by the civilian government.

mad_cat

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2016, 21:47:59 »
Great information. Rasalhague Dominion is definitely the most unique power of the IS. Makes me wonder how Alexandr and Nicholas Kerensky would feel about what Ghost Bear has accomplished.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2016, 09:03:19 »
Well Alex would probably turn on the spot and go "THE HELL GUYS!? WHAT IN GODS NAME IS THIS!!!!?" As the Clans are about as closely related to his vision of how things were to be as a spoon is related to the surface of a star. 

Nicky would probably start gibbering and screaming, possibly yelling out "UNCLEAN UNCLEAN!" whilst pointing wildly at the VERY bemused Dominion folks as the Dominion is also VERY far from his vision of how Clans should be. IE 'MINE!' 

All of the Inner Sphere Clans have deviated widly, and none are alike.  The Falcons and Wolves are perhaps closest to the original idea of Nickyboy but that's about it.  I'd honestly say that Aleksandr would be at least accepting of what the Dominion is though as its a far cry from the abomination that his lunatic son thought up.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

mad_cat

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2016, 10:43:38 »
If there was a way to like a post, I would do it for yours marauder648.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2016, 17:24:18 »
Well Alex would probably turn on the spot and go "THE HELL GUYS!? WHAT IN GODS NAME IS THIS!!!!?" As the Clans are about as closely related to his vision of how things were to be as a spoon is related to the surface of a star. 

Nicky would probably start gibbering and screaming, possibly yelling out "UNCLEAN UNCLEAN!" whilst pointing wildly at the VERY bemused Dominion folks as the Dominion is also VERY far from his vision of how Clans should be. IE 'MINE!' 

All of the Inner Sphere Clans have deviated widly, and none are alike.  The Falcons and Wolves are perhaps closest to the original idea of Nickyboy but that's about it.  I'd honestly say that Aleksandr would be at least accepting of what the Dominion is though as its a far cry from the abomination that his lunatic son thought up.
Meanwhile Andrey kicks back, gets the popcorn, and says "Good show!'
Oh then he turns his attention to the RasDom and says the same thing to them.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2016, 06:54:33 »
Meanwhile Andrey kicks back, gets the popcorn, and says "Good show!'
Oh then he turns his attention to the RasDom and says the same thing to them.

At which point does he step in to break them up? Before or after Alexsandr punches Nicky in the mount for trying to justify his ideas?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2016, 08:51:29 »
They are not equals.

The Prince, however, must have military experience. And the Dominion Council, which is made up of 1/3 Clan warriors, 1/3 freeborn warriors, and 1/3 civilians, has the power to remove a Prince or Khan.

Also, certain Clan traditions—most notably the Trial of Refusal—were adopted by the civilian government.
And FYI if some of you were wondering where to get a copy of Touring the Stars (and other free stuff) go to this link on the BT homepage http://bg.battletech.com/downloads/

The Touring the Stars is a pdf download in the Dark Age Section which is at the bottom.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 22 January 2016, 15:10:41 »
Where can I find the Touring the Stars documents? I know I've seen them before but its been a few years at least.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 22 January 2016, 16:46:36 »
Where can I find the Touring the Stars documents? I know I've seen them before but its been a few years at least.
And FYI if some of you were wondering where to get a copy of Touring the Stars (and other free stuff) go to this link on the BT homepage http://bg.battletech.com/downloads/

The Touring the Stars is a pdf download in the Dark Age Section which is at the bottom.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!