Author Topic: BattleForce scale 'Mech minis ...  (Read 10991 times)

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
BattleForce scale 'Mech minis ...
« on: 19 July 2013, 13:45:03 »
Will we see more of these any time soon?
specifically those from TRO3039

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
Re: BattleForce scale 'Mech minis ...
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2013, 17:25:50 »
As far as I know no further Battleforce scale minis are planned at the moment.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2013, 17:29:45 »
I don't think sales went way they would have wanted it.  Starter: Fist and Falcon was suppose to be the big promotional piece to people to buy the minis.  It didn't pan out.  I like the (almost) one-piece miniatures, they kept cost down and frankly easier to lug around while still detailed. 

Maybe it will change, people need buy them.  I'm all mini out, no more room sadly unless it wicked common piece.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SteveUK

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2013, 02:48:09 »
I'm hoping Alpha Strike will increase the demand for these minis, I have a 6x4 table and fitting on more than 24 mechs the board looks crowded but scaling down to the BF minis, muti-company battles will look so much better.

SteelWarrior

• Lieutenant
    • SteelWarrior Battletech
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2013, 05:06:23 »
The info on them is kinda vague.  When i got back into the game I just about bought a bunch of auctions for them because I figured they were full sized lol.....

still plan to make a chess board out of them one day....
Check out my Battletech Youtube Channel at:

SteelWarrior Battletech
https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelWarriorBT

For Video Battle Reports/Hobby Tutorials/Product Reviews

Mango

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2013, 05:11:26 »
The info on them is kinda vague.  When i got back into the game I just about bought a bunch of auctions for them because I figured they were full sized lol....

I have noticed some sellers trying to disguise them and only mentioning their actual size far down in the auction comments.

Are there any side by side comparison pics of the different scales? i cant find any

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2013, 06:03:09 »
I have noticed some sellers trying to disguise them and only mentioning their actual size far down in the auction comments.

Are there any side by side comparison pics of the different scales? i cant find any

1/700. They are all about an inch tall. Basically a hair less than half-standard scale. I need to make a Madcat one of these that includes Battleforce.

Mango

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2013, 06:32:16 »
Awesome in 2 ways

1 - photo showing scale  O0 (except for no bforce mech)

2 - Another Deathlands fan! :)
« Last Edit: 20 July 2013, 06:34:02 by Mango »

Cambo

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 20 July 2013, 07:42:11 »
All the minis (with turrets at the corners)

All the Quickstrike Minis by cambo_prime, on Flickr

Comstar pack 2 (next to elementals for scale)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74365345@N00/8059984192/

Comstar pack 1 (standard minis in the background for scale)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74365345@N00/8059984016/

IS lance Pack 2 (elementals for scale again)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74365345@N00/8059984305/

IS lance Pack 1 (elementals for scale)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74365345@N00/8059983264/

Clan Star Pack 2 (with current minis in background for scale
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74365345@N00/8059982405/

Clan Star Pack 1 (with current minis in the backround for scale- and an original sculpt dashi as well)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74365345@N00/8059982163/

The two starter packs are in my photo stream (Edit: or here ) if you want photos, as well as 1 to 1 std scale to quick strike scale, I just don't have a picture of the whole set by it's self, just a lance/star at a time.

I too like the Quickstrike scale, but with the coming Alpha Strike, Herb as said  that the Quickstrike name will be phased out... which probably spells the end for this series of minis.  Which is too bad since everyone I've shown them to says they're really cool.  Great starter set ability for new players as well.  I just wish they had a Vulture, Executioner, Man'O War, Loki, Koshi, Uller, Puma, maybe a Dragonfly set to complete the 3050 Omni list.  Especially as I play Wolf/Ghost Bear most of the time.

I have my nit-picks about them (MadCat II's ankles need to be beefed up... i"m not pinning that stravag again  #P), they were a great gateway for new players.  Just wish you could buy all the sculpts individually as there's still a few that are only available in star/lance packs. (*hrm* Masakari/Dashi/Summoner *hrm*)

Cambo

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 20 July 2013, 07:43:34 »
I should also probably take pictures of the 3 stars I've painted so far, and upload them... but I haven't have the photo fu bug bite me recently.

Mango

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 20 July 2013, 08:08:10 »
Clan Star Pack 2 (with current minis in background for scale
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74365345@N00/8059982405/

Thats a great comparison pic, thanks!

SteelWarrior

• Lieutenant
    • SteelWarrior Battletech
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2013, 23:02:37 »
yea i think the battleforce scale would be a great thing to push with the alpha strike rules.   low investment cost for new guys to get started and able to play in a small area
Check out my Battletech Youtube Channel at:

SteelWarrior Battletech
https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelWarriorBT

For Video Battle Reports/Hobby Tutorials/Product Reviews

Mango

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 22 July 2013, 00:57:41 »
yea i think the battleforce scale would be a great thing to push with the alpha strike rules.   low investment cost for new guys to get started and able to play in a small area

But then they arnt compatible with the main game and if they go to play non battleforce people their models look silly.

Without knowing the history behind it all my feeling is that having 2 separate miniature ranges for what is essentially the same game is a silly idea.

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #13 on: 22 July 2013, 04:16:24 »
Besides Alpha Strike is an attempt to push the TableTop aspect of the game and make it appealing to other TableTop gamers out there.
Tiny scale miniatures meant to be an abstraction rather than a true representation of a specific unit probably aren't the best option to attract the attention of gamers easily distracted by shiny GW and Privateer Press stuff.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #14 on: 22 July 2013, 11:11:25 »
I took these at Gen Con 2011. Yes, that teeny tiny one is the Nexus II. I was "shooting" through the clear plexiglass case they were in, so it wouldn't focuse properly.  :-\
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 22 July 2013, 12:27:52 »
Here's 2 more from GC 2011.
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

firekite

• Corporal
« Reply #16 on: 22 July 2013, 17:08:15 »
as someone on a limited budget I was looking forward to using these instead of the 1/285 scale ( my wife says I treat mechs like Pokemon "got to have them all" >:D :))). since I could buy a star/lance for the price of 2 1/285 scale mechs. all thing considered the detail is quite good considering the size.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 24 July 2013, 09:46:34 »
I'd happily replace all of my current figs with these.... I prefer the size, and they are a LOT easier to transport for a game.

We have a couple of players that used them in our games, and they work just fine.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 24 July 2013, 11:19:01 »
I'd happily replace all of my current figs with these.... I prefer the size, and they are a LOT easier to transport for a game.

snip

Nahuris

+1 To This

Itinerant Hobbyist

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 24 July 2013, 21:47:03 »
I'm a newb to all this and would like nothing better than to invest in this scale. However I have two intro boxes worth of minis and the Bf minis wouldn't be compatible with most other gamers.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 25 July 2013, 11:59:08 »
If you're playing on mapsheets the size of the minis doesn't matter as long as they fit inside a hex. Note that there are regular size minis that fail at this, regular size bipedal mechs because I don't think there's a regular size quad that fits into a hex, at all.

And it's not like the regular size mechs are actually modeled to a specific scale. I don't remember ever seeing heights listed in the TRO's (not even a range of heights due to different manufacturers).

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 25 July 2013, 13:24:04 »
And it's not like the regular size mechs are actually modeled to a specific scale. I don't remember ever seeing heights listed in the TRO's (not even a range of heights due to different manufacturers).

This is something that has always annoyed Me.

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 25 July 2013, 14:06:32 »
If you're playing on mapsheets the size of the minis doesn't matter as long as they fit inside a hex. Note that there are regular size minis that fail at this, regular size bipedal mechs because I don't think there's a regular size quad that fits into a hex, at all.

Actually, the Barghest, Blue Flame, Goliath (Unseen AND Reseen), and Snow Fox all fit onto a hex base well enough, with very little "hanging over" from any of them.  I could have sworn one of the older TROs (of the Early Clan days, like 3050 or 3055) had a Size Comparison Chart of the Clan Omnis in the back of it.  :-\   I'm NOT confusing it with the " 'Mech Recognition Chart" poster from the Crescent Hawks' Revenge computer game either.  That was in color, and what I'm thinking of was in simple black and white line art.  Granted, it didn't list the height of any of them, only compared them side-by-side.  Regardless, it's probably one of those things that will never be addressed.  :-\

Mango

• Corporal
« Reply #23 on: 28 July 2013, 06:52:44 »
If you're playing on mapsheets the size of the minis doesn't matter as long as they fit inside a hex.

Maybe from a game play point of view but aesthetically it would look like crud.  :)

SteveUK

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 28 July 2013, 14:47:58 »
Just tried Alpha Strike, scaled the hex maps to 1"across printed them out and used BF mini's 8 IS v 5 clan on 2 x 2 maps sheets looked pretty good - now I just have to learn to paint well at this size.

Crimson_Langur_1970

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 05 August 2013, 08:45:12 »
I also plan to invest in the BF scale (in addition to my existing collection of normal scale stuff).  We won't mix them, but we'll play games with all BF scale stuff.  Including 3mm infantry and vehicles.  So I want more BF stuff. More releases. Hopefully we can purchase enough to justify the manufacture of a few more packs. 

I'd also love the option to buy singles.  I'd like to double up on Hunchbacks to maybe attempt some Swayback conversions, field multiple Panthers, etc. 

Register