Author Topic: Dakka is talking about the return of the unseen, where is the thread here?  (Read 12001 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
You're all wrong! We need to bring back the rectangular die cut cardboard figures that needed a plastic clip to stand up on the hexmaps! All 144 'Mechs in one Battletech Reinforcements boxed set AND a booklet with pre-filled out record sheets that we could xerox for our games. Ah, those were the days!  ;)

One of the happiest days of my Battletech career was finally getting my hands on a copy of Reinforcements II... it meant I could start copying and using those sheets in games at last! I owned the old record sheet volumes (light, medium, etc.) so I could use those variants- it meant I could use any version of the Uller, for example, except the Prime! This was, of course, the days before there was software to do the job (or at least before I had it for sure).
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
It used to drive me nuts having to xerox the full record sheet from the boxed set and then spend an evening x-ing out all the little bubbles of armor and internal structure before I could play a single game!  :P
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
I guess I’m a total heretic.  I prefer resin.  Same level of detail as metal, but much easier to work with for assembly and/or reposing.  Glue actually holds them together.  I wouldn’t have to use green stuff and pinning on every joint.

:o :o :o :o

HERETIC!!! Prepare the cauldron!!

[brew] [brew] [brew]

Jokes aside, I have seen gorgeous resin kits (Aires produces wonderful superdetailed cockpits) but, honestly, a good and cheap resin is not available yet.  I have worked with plastic, metal and resin. The resin kits required a small photoetched saw and a lot of patience. I may need some advice from you, maybe in the tips section....  O0
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
It used to drive me nuts having to xerox the full record sheet from the boxed set and then spend an evening x-ing out all the little bubbles of armor and internal structure before I could play a single game!  :P

See that was the thing for us, we had to have the official sheet. Fill-ins from the blank sheet were disallowed because people would 'accidentally' fill things in wrong... a spare heat sink here, a few extra points on the rear torso there... so we eventually banned that as a legal sheet.  :-\

I still have the book and the whole group of the fold-over 'miniatures' in a small fishing tackle container on my gaming shelf- none of them have seen a table in a good 20 years, but it's good to still have them around.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
See that was the thing for us, we had to have the official sheet. Fill-ins from the blank sheet were disallowed because people would 'accidentally' fill things in wrong... a spare heat sink here, a few extra points on the rear torso there... so we eventually banned that as a legal sheet.  :-\

For the first fourteen years, the few times I got to play Battletech it was just me and my brother, or the occasional friend from college. So, it was never an issue. The big issue was always finding someone to play with.  >:(

I still have the book and the whole group of the fold-over 'miniatures' in a small fishing tackle container on my gaming shelf- none of them have seen a table in a good 20 years, but it's good to still have them around.

Yeah, me too. But more because I'm a completist when it comes to collecting Battletech. My current project is color laser printing all the Battletech E-Pub-only books and binding them in their own individual three-ring binders so I don't have to boot up a computer just to read them. Thank you Sam's Club for allowing me to buy binders and sheet protectors in bulk for very little money! O:-)
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

Remove

• Master Sergeant
You're welcome to your personal opinion. And if the only plastics you've seen are the old intro box plastics, or the even older 3rd Ed or CityTech plastics, I would be more inclined to agree with you.

But I'd be interested in reasons for preferring metal over the current intro/box or lance pack plastics that are not purely subjective.

I own many of the newer plastics and while they are good looking minis, I do prefer metal. Especially considering that I am refinishing 1 of every miniature from all the TROs from 2750 to 3067 with ink and polish for my personal units. I simply can not do that with resin or plastic.

I of course will get at least one of all the new minis but was really excited to hear of the Newseens and add them into my unit and then read that they were plastic. It was a let down is all.  :(

An example of what I am doing with the metal minis.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
We can agree then, I think, that our preferences are purely subjective/personal.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Remove

• Master Sergeant
We can agree then, I think, that our preferences are purely subjective/personal.

Completely.  O0

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
 O0 I still have my cardboard mechs from Battletech 2nd Ed and Reinforcements 2 boxsets (I covered them in vinyl book covering back in the day so they are all still in good condition). I keep threatening to field them on a tabletop with my playing group one day (when we actually get to play a tabletop game).
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
You want cardboards ...

(something I played with a looooong time ago ....)
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Bartholomew bartholomew

• Sergeant
That's actually pretty cool!

I have both plastics and metals. I think for playing an actual game (ONE OF THESE DAYS PLEASE) there is no real difference if you are using not fancy paint ups for play on a regular table.

BCullen

• Private
Plastic, metal and resin each have their place for different reasons. I personally prefer metal simply for the heft and durability, especially where narrow pieces like gun barrels are concerned. That being said, it would be a great disservice to IWM if these minis were restricted to being only box set plastics, not to mention to some fans as well. Simply put, I would gladly buy a lance worth of the Warhammer alone, but I would prefer not to have to buy four box sets to get them...

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
I prefer metal, myself. I like the heft of them and they are harder to accidentally knock out of position of someone nudges the table. With plastics I'll routinely put a nice pewter base on them for this reason. Other than that, I have no hate for plastics if they're of the quality that the new box set has. Just base them with metal, IMO.

Myself, I hope they come out in both. Someone earlier on this thread said something about the old lance packs..... That's a great idea! I'd buy 'em like that, definitely.

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Yeah, I take the flash from metal to add weight to any questionably balanced minis.  But I also have some plastic bases for light/plastic minis that I add the flash to increase the weight again . . . or position legs.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

pheonixstorm

• Major
Plastisteel till... something something freezes over!

I don't care what it's made of, just hurry up and sell em already!

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
According to Loren Coleman at the "What's Up With Catalyst?" Seminar, they WILL be in plastic AND Metal!   O0
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
Thanks GRUD, that is wonderful news  8)
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Remove

• Master Sergeant
According to Loren Coleman at the "What's Up With Catalyst?" Seminar, they WILL be in plastic AND Metal!   O0

Yes and YES!  O0 :D No more sad panda!

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ

Thank you, that's great news.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

GRUD

• Captain
Unfortunately, I asked Mike Noe Friday if he had any idea when they might do them, and he said it won't be until AFTER they appear in some Cannon Source, like a TRO.   :(
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

GRUD

• Captain
I noticed this Friday at the CSO Diorama, an Actual painted Warhammer Prototype at Gen Con!   O0  Unfortunately, I don't know who the Artist is that painted it.   :-[

That's MY finger touching it though!   :D

abou

• Captain
I think a detailed Classics TRO covering 3025 and 3050 with details of the Royal variants is possible. I'd buy it!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Already said they had no intention to make a 3039 redo . . . you will likely see them come out in the Combat Manual series for Alpha Strike which will have some regular TT info in it.

Okay, is it a visual trick?  The right PPC barrel does not seem straight with the rest of the arm.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

BCullen

• Private
Ahhh Warhammer, I have missed you...

GRUD

• Captain
Okay, is it a visual trick?  The right PPC barrel does not seem straight with the rest of the arm.
Well, it IS a Prototype after all.   O0   Then again, I'm not exactly the best photographer in the world either.   :-\

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Remember, this isn't a production mini. It's a 3D printed version made from the master model. The master model will be used to create plastic injection moulds out of steel blanks.

It's possible the arm distorted under pressure at some point after it was printed. It was, after all, produced with some haste for delivery to GenCon.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
lol, I just wanted someone to check my eyes
Colt Ward

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
Unfortunately, I don't know who the Artist is that painted it.   :-[
phlop painted it during the con.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Confirmed that the plastic is one piece for now.
Colt Ward

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
I am thrilled about this!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman