Author Topic: Bloodname Trait  (Read 1682 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Bloodname Trait
« on: 23 December 2012, 15:58:51 »
   Ok so I have a question for you guys. I'm considering doing a Clan Invasion campaign. Where the players start out as Clanners fresh from MW training right before the invasion. So they would get assigned to their unit right as the invasion is starting. But I have found a problem with the Bloodnames. Every character starts out with (I believe) 100 XP in the trait. But the trait is so expensive that a just starting out character can't afford it. Not a problem don't want any of my players to be Bloodnamed. However, at some point I would like to give them the option to earn one.
   So my problem is this: I like how you have to pay XP to get different grades of Bloodname. And I want my players to pick their Bloodname at character creation. How do I get them to pay for their choice without buying the full trait (since they haven't earned it yet)? Also the current Heir trait doesn't really seem to fit very will in this case (several people had mentioned it to me).

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Maelwys

• Major
Re: Bloodname Trait
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2012, 22:15:14 »
Well, you could simply let them pick whatever you want.

I know that sounds amazingly powerful, but hear me out.

There's some benefit from being in a powerful Blood House, but there's also pressures on them as well (though you probably want to keep Kerensky off limits).

An in order to get a Bloodname they're going to have to perform well. Then someone with their Bloodname is going to have to die. Then they'll have to have performed well enough that they get nominated (Or be in a position to enter the Grand Melee). And then they'll have to win 5 fights to get the Bloodname itself. So getting the Bloodname that they've chosen is hardly guaranteed.

So the toughness of winning one, combined with the lack of benefits when they don't have one (for most Bloodnames), I could easily see the cost being zero.  Or you could simply let them keep the Bloodname trait at the 100 that they get, so they're atleast paying something.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2012, 00:24:27 »
Well I want them to pick what level BN they belong to (with the Kerensky Legacy off the table) and then which BN. So if they want a more respected BN they'll have pay more. I want to know how much to charge for the different levels Bloodlines when the Characters don't have a BN yet.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2012, 03:25:11 »
You could have them pay a third to a half of the full trait to represent that it is inactive, but still require some tradeoffs for that prestige (remember, even without a bloodname, sibkos based off better genes automatically get some prestige at the cost of higher expectations; Kerenskies and Prydes are ristars until proven otherwise, highly respected, but their peers are going to except the world of them)

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 24 December 2012, 16:21:39 »
Thats exectly what I'm trying to go for.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 26 December 2012, 02:34:16 »
The problem is, as a non-standard talent, the cost is going to depend on how much you the GM use it.

Is taking a Greater Exclusive Phenotype Bloodname really going to net the PC more opportunities than taking a Greater Phenotype Bloodname? If so, then you probably want to keep the price up there. Maybe half the standard cost.

If its not going to come into play as much, you might want to push the cost down to a quarter.

Moirdryd

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 26 December 2012, 20:42:38 »
If you are going down this route then you can let them decide their genetic lineages (or randomise) at the start of play and then they earn the Bloodname through play. I wouldn't make them spend XP to gain the trait in this instance.

Minchandre

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 27 December 2012, 04:48:03 »
I think that the more prestigious Blood Houses could easily balance themselves out with a good GM: with the greater respect come greater expectations.  Whereas no one cares when some guy from a shared Elemental bloodline loses a Trial, I'm sure that every single point of armor is counted for a scion of the Kerensky House.  And when it comes time from your characters to actually claim their Bloodnames, it'll be much, much easier for the members of less prestigious Houses.