Author Topic: Favorite bit of silly BTech trivia?  (Read 22877 times)

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
Favorite bit of silly BTech trivia?
« on: 06 April 2018, 06:11:12 »
Rereading TRO3058 Upgrade between calls at work right now and was remembering a couple funny bits of trivia, one being the Badgers that were modified to be party vans, and the Pharoah-sponsored track maintenance on Alicorn tanks. Anyone else have a particular favorite funny bit of BTrivia?

(Edit: It was a set of Badgers, not Bandits that got made into the party vans, sorry)
« Last Edit: 06 April 2018, 10:59:31 by Nightsong »

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
Re: Favorite bit of silly BTech trivia?
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2018, 10:03:38 »
Rereading TRO3058 Upgrade between calls at work right now and was remembering a couple funny bits of trivia, one being the Bandits that were modified to be party vans, and the Pharoah-sponsored track maintenance on Alicorn tanks. Anyone else have a particular favorite funny bit of BTrivia?

All the weapon entries in the Battlemech Manual.  Especially about the Heavy Gauss Rifle parachutes.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2018, 10:20:11 »
In 3025 the ISF was desperate to find "Terrapin Station" so as to put down the sedition of the Tai Dai Cult.
« Last Edit: 06 April 2018, 10:22:30 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2018, 10:39:41 »
The death of the black throrns

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 06 April 2018, 14:37:44 »
The death of the black throrns
"Oops"

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 06 April 2018, 15:39:13 »
The pages in the other thread of all the BT characters inspired by RL people or fictional characters from other universes. Don't have the link to that thread on-hand but it was at least five or six pages of names. IIRC.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #6 on: 06 April 2018, 16:31:19 »
Loren Coleman's tendency to create CCAF characters whose "Chinese" names are actually phonetic English puns.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 06 April 2018, 16:43:48 »
Ayukawa Slapper SRM system.  I wonder if it gets bonuses against pilots named Kyosuke.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2018, 17:17:48 »
Loren Coleman's tendency to create CCAF characters whose "Chinese" names are actually phonetic English puns.
Got an example?
I've undoubtedly come across some but i don't recognize them because i don't really pronounce English words in my mind, so i miss phonetic puns.

Speaking of CapCon characters, i keep wondering if Talon Zahn is named after Timothy Zahn, the author of the Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy. Given that Talon Zahn is described as a military genius or something like that, i keep wondering if he is a nod toward Admiral Thrawn from Star Wars.

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2018, 18:09:27 »
The anecdote about the mercenary unit on a planet which was blockaded which had a contract with a local fast food distributor to supply daily meals.

Because of the blockade the restaurant couldn't fulfill their contract with the mercenaries.   so the mercenaries took to marching outside,   commandeering civilian vehicles, and discharging their weapons into the air while chanting "Where's the pickle?   Where's the lettuce?".

This confused many observers as the restaurant did not use pickles or lettuce in its food offerings.

After a couple of hours the unit,   feeling foolish packed it in and headed back to base.

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 06 April 2018, 18:37:39 »
Got an example?
I've undoubtedly come across some but i don't recognize them because i don't really pronounce English words in my mind, so i miss phonetic puns.

Speaking of CapCon characters, i keep wondering if Talon Zahn is named after Timothy Zahn, the author of the Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy. Given that Talon Zahn is described as a military genius or something like that, i keep wondering if he is a nod toward Admiral Thrawn from Star Wars.

Well, The Thrawn Trilogy had a character named Talon Karrde, so probably.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2018, 18:53:10 »
Right, forgot Karrde. Makes it more likely indeed.
Amusingly Karrde's ship names were puns. Wild Karrde for example...

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 06 April 2018, 19:55:48 »
Got an example?

The one I remember most was "Nin Tenh Doh" (can't remember the exact spelling)...a play on Nintendo...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 06 April 2018, 20:01:59 »
In the House Davion sourcebook (original) I think it is there is a story about a general who in retaliation for a local villages supporting resistance to his rule had his troops round up the villagers an ordered his troops to open fire and keep shooting "until the blood ran to his horses knees".

The first shots range out and the generals horse was startled and stumbled (no surprised given the general weighed well over 300 lbs.).    The horses knees touched the ground and the soldiers quickly realized that the "blood was touching the horses knees" so they stopped shooting.

When the horse stumbled the general fell to the ground and broke his neck,  killing him.

The villagers later erected a monument.

In honor of the generals horse.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #14 on: 06 April 2018, 21:34:03 »
The bit from some fluff in Vee Annex where it's revealed that at one point Japan bought the Eiffel Tower from France and had it shipped to them to be rebuilt there.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 06 April 2018, 21:39:23 »
The bit from some fluff in Vee Annex where it's revealed that at one point Japan bought the Eiffel Tower from France and had it shipped to them to be rebuilt there.

It may well be in the Combine now after the Jihad.. what with DCMS forces looting Japan to bring back "authentic Japanese" cultural artifacts..

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #16 on: 06 April 2018, 22:04:36 »
Got an example?

lets see, there was House Master Ty Wu Non of House Hiritsu. (tie one on.. slang for getting drunk)
and then there was Sang-shao Ni Tehn Dho, commander of the Hustaing Warriors. (nintendo)

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 07 April 2018, 17:18:49 »
One story I liked was from the House Marik  sourcebook I think it was.

Two mercenary units working for opposite sides got together on the planet they were stationed and over (a lot) of drinks decided why bother fighting each other?    They had enough troops and mechs that if they combined their forces they had enough to go conquer their own planet in the periphery (no one is sure which one).

So they decided to have a battlemech duel between the two unit commanders the next morning to decide who would lead the knew combined unit.

Some of the members of the two units protested about the wastefulness of a 'mech duel but everyone showed up to cheer their respective commanders on.

The two commanders faced off much like old west gunfighters.   One in an Archer and the other in a Crusader.

After several exchanges of fire the Archer managed to toppled the Crusader.    As the Crusader fell the commander inside triggered all his missile launchers.    The missiles fell randomly among the troops of the other side,  killing most of them.

The mercenary unit led by the officer killed in the Crusader was now without a leader.

And the officer in the Archer was now without a unit.

The surviving mercs elected as their new leader one of the officers who had protested the wisdom of a 'mech duel while the winning officer in the Archer eventually joined McCarrons Armored Calvary.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #18 on: 07 April 2018, 22:25:24 »
It may well be in the Combine now after the Jihad.. what with DCMS forces looting Japan to bring back "authentic Japanese" cultural artifacts..

The funniest thing about that is that since Japan acquired the Tower in 2289, it was in their possession for almost twice as long (790 years to France's 400), so arguably by that point the Eiffel Tower really was more authentically Japanese.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #19 on: 08 April 2018, 17:43:25 »
Got an example?

Protectorate Guard, Air Guard Wing Commander Nu Phang Gull (Newfangled)
House Imarra, 1st Company Commander Su Mur Kald (Summer Cold)
House Hiritsu Master Ty Wu Non (Tie One On)
House Ijori, 3rd Company Commander Meh So Hung (Me So Hung)
2nd Capellan Reserve Cavalry CO Mai Tee Phyn (Mighty Fine)
6th Capellan Reserve Cavalry "Arcade Rangers" CO Ni Tehn Dho (Nintendo)
Kamakura's Hussars XO Kan Ai Phyr (Can I Fire?)
Syn's Hussars CO Syn Sum Orr (Sin Some More)
3rd Victoria Home Guard CO Pan Ti Lun (Panty Line)

The above are from FM: Capellan Confederation.  There's at least one more in his MWDA novel, "By Intentions and By War," - Hahn Soom Gui (Handsome Guy)
« Last Edit: 09 April 2018, 08:36:30 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #20 on: 08 April 2018, 18:06:06 »
How can a Behemoth tank threaten a falling mech? In a story, I want to say a Davion Wasp, was shooting up a Ammo Depot defended by a Behemoth tank, again I want to saw House Kurita.

That's a 3025-era fight.

6/9/6 Wasp-1D : ML, 2x SL and a Flamer

vs.

2/3 Behemoth-Kurita: ( Standard tank not the updated version. )

Right...

And then we have my favorite: Hatchetman-5S ( Davion ) vs. Hatchetman-5K ( Kurita )

Love to see this in a picture. ( Long time dream... )

TT
« Last Edit: 08 April 2018, 18:09:09 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #21 on: 09 April 2018, 08:57:09 »
Other funny bits from over the years:

The Alacorn entry in the first printing of TRO:3058 suffered a critical hit during its visit to the printers, and a passage that should have lauded its "devastating firepower" instead made reference to its "derastative repower."

Handbook: House Kurita reveals that pikachu-esque electro-rodent critters exist in the Draconis Combine, and some yakuza make it their quest to catch 'em all.

The BlackThorne BattleTech comics (printed under license from FASA) indicated that the Capellan Minister of Economics had blue skin and went about the palace on Sian in full Ming the Merciless robes.  (This could actually explain quite a bit about the Capellan economy...)  They also showed ComStar ROM agents having pointed ears and dorsal fins on their heads, and using bows and arrows (an apparent shout out to the Alpha Centaurians from the 1970s Guardians of the Galaxy comics.)

Early fiction tried to establish that "Death's Head" Vang was one of the greatest 'Mech instructors in the Federated Suns, putting his students through grueling training apprenticeships.  Yet, the scenario that pitted his cadet graduates against the Black Widow Company showed most had gunnery skills of 6 or worse.  (Of course, scenarios of that era also gave Natasha a Gunnery of 4 or 5, and Grayson Death Carlyle a Gunnery of 8, so...)

The House Liao sourcebook had some internal chronology issues, resulting in a newspaper editorial excoriating one Liao family member for causing an economic recession.  Per the family tree at the back of the book, the Liao in question would have been about three years old at the time.  (Another Liao was noted for having died in combat at the controls of his 'Mech..at age two, per the family tree.  I think we're seeing why House Liao lost so much territory if they took the "Toddlers in Tiaras Neurohelmets" approach to the Succession Wars.)

"Goliath out of the Box" features a Northwind Highlander armor company fleeing frantically from a pursuing Mackie, which is overtaking them.  Since the Mackie was 3/5...how frickin' slow were those tanks?  (One of which was a hovertank, to boot)

"Johnny Mace, 'Mech Ace" is a chuckle-filled BattleTech take on the Abbot/Costello "Who's on First" routine, utilizing systems like "A Place," "Nowhere," "Anywhere," etc. to sow confusion at a hiring hall on Galatea.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 09 April 2018, 09:39:09 »
I was recently reading through the Reunification War sourcebook and caught a reference to a book written in 3010 by Dr. H.J. Farnsworth

Better known as Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #23 on: 09 April 2018, 09:42:54 »
I don't recall which merc unit it was in FM:Mercs(R) (I don't have the books on-hand at work to check), but the CO and two XOs were familiar names to hockey fans- they formed the front line of the Vancouver Canucks of the mid-aughts (Markus Naslund, Brendan Morrisson, Todd Bertuzzi).
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #24 on: 09 April 2018, 09:49:45 »
In that vein, many of the members of Zeta Battalion in the Wolf's Dragoons sourcebook are characters from Gundam (Char Asnable, etc.).

Also, many of the Tracks in the Total Chaos book are named after G.I. Joe characters.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #25 on: 09 April 2018, 10:43:56 »
The original House Davion sourcebook had a mercenary unit named Wylie's Coyotes.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #26 on: 09 April 2018, 10:57:32 »
The original House Davion sourcebook had a mercenary unit named Wylie's Coyotes.

Not to mention Team Banzai and the Fighting Urukhai.  Ah, for the days when an homage didn't break the seventh seal and summon forth hordes of slavering copyright lawyers. ;)

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 09 April 2018, 11:25:29 »
I don't recall which merc unit it was in FM:Mercs(R) (I don't have the books on-hand at work to check), but the CO and two XOs were familiar names to hockey fans- they formed the front line of the Vancouver Canucks of the mid-aughts (Markus Naslund, Brendan Morrisson, Todd Bertuzzi).

What do you think if Patrick Roy being the Avalanche's notable pilot?

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 09 April 2018, 15:31:19 »
How can a Behemoth tank threaten a falling mech? In a story, I want to say a Davion Wasp, was shooting up a Ammo Depot defended by a Behemoth tank, again I want to saw House Kurita.

Steiner Behemoth vs a Kurita Spider.  The Behemoth was raiding the ammo depot the Spider was defending.  The Spider, due to limited visibility from smoke from blown up ammo, jumped directly in front of the Behemoth which promptly blew it's legs off.  The Behemoth crew then threatened to run over the Mech's head if the pilot didn't surrender.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 09 April 2018, 15:35:58 »
Steiner Behemoth vs a Kurita Spider.  The Behemoth was raiding the ammo depot the Spider was defending.  The Spider, due to limited visibility from smoke from blown up ammo, jumped directly in front of the Behemoth which promptly blew it's legs off.  The Behemoth crew then threatened to run over the Mech's head if the pilot didn't surrender.

yes, the heady days when the lore wanted any tank to be outmatched by any mech, and the Behemoth pulled off an "improbable" victory against a Spider :)