Author Topic: B-Tech Toon Not that Bad (Comparatively)  (Read 9012 times)

Charistoph

• Major
Re: B-Tech Toon Not that Bad (Comparatively)
« Reply #30 on: 14 April 2018, 22:20:12 »
My 5-year-old son loves that movie, and doesn't seem to be that traumatized by it.  Of course, he didn't go through 2-3 years of cartoons and toy enjoyment before seeing him die off, either.  Most of his interaction before seeing it was a few episodes of Prime and Rescue Bots.  Empire Strikes Back doesn't have as much impact if you start the entire Star Wars series in Cloud City.

There were a lot of things bad about the Battletech cartoon, but I can't really look at it objectively as I was chest deep in the game and found the inconsistencies very annoying.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #31 on: 15 April 2018, 03:43:34 »
I can't if MW2 or the cartoon was my first introduction to the Battletech universe, but I honestly loved the cartoon, sure its not aged particually well but then again there's a lot of the classic cartoons of our generation (assuming a fair few of us here are from the 80s) like Transformers, or Thunder Cats which have also aged poorly and when looking back were just glitzy adverts.  I watched the Thundercats recently and I forgot that Lion-o didn't have an Indoors voice and basically yelled nearly every line to the point that it was irritating as all hell.

Whilst the B-tech cartoon was very very much a child of the 90s and it shows with things like YO DAWG! HEARD YO LIKED RIPPED JEANS/CLOTHING SO I PUT RIPPED JEANS/CLOTHING WITH YOUR RIPPED JEANS/CLOTHING!!! and the animated parts have aged rather poorly in places, but at the time the CGI was VERY good, far better than Transformers CGI or reboot and I LOVE the sounds they used.  One has to wonder what they could do today if there was support for a new Battletech cartoon.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #32 on: 15 April 2018, 03:49:25 »
As a youngling I did like both the Exo Squad and Battletech. I was always trying figure out who would win in a fight between the both.
I do remeber the ExoSquad had some of the old Robotech Macross units as Toys for sale.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #33 on: 15 April 2018, 03:58:44 »
As the Transformers Movie showed toy companies did not even know what they had either.  If they knew what they had there is no way they would have killed off Optimus Prime and the other Transformers like they did.  Frankly to most kids that watched it at the time it was quite traumatizing though oddly now it has made it a bit of a cult classic.
Actually I think that the movie has aged quite well, in part of having actual causalities. 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 15 April 2018, 04:07:49 »
Oh the TF Movie has aged remarkably well mainly due to the sheer quality of its animation and art which is as good as anything like say Akira or something in terms of visual quality. Sure it basically was a big advert, but wow, what an advert and it gave kids trauma too!  Then again us 80's kids were given a fair bit of that on TV. Optimus Prime's death, your parents inadvertently buying Watership down for you etc etc.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #35 on: 15 April 2018, 10:25:52 »
Thus, my comments on how the cartoon was ultimately a disaster for FASA.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #36 on: 15 April 2018, 10:50:07 »
Thus, my comments on how the cartoon was ultimately a disaster for FASA.
Are you referring to the BT cartoon or the EXO-Squad cartoon?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #37 on: 15 April 2018, 11:26:28 »
My favorite as a kid was Jayce and The Wheeled Warriors!! 😂 I had ALL the toys!! I refuse to watch it ever again. I don't want my childhood memories violated and destroyed by an adult appreciation of things like, plot, art quality, voice acting, etc... 🤣
On a hobbling side note: about 20 years ago, I dug out my old box ot the toys and converted about a dozen of the vehicles for my 40K Space Ork army... 🤣
I never got into the Btech cartoon, really. Just didn't draw me in for some reason?? I loved the game though so you would think I'd be auto-hooked! But no. 🤔

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #38 on: 15 April 2018, 12:08:57 »
If it were done in today's environment, I think they would have to compete with shows like Star Wars Rebels and the like. Plus I think that if they made the Battletech Cartoon in this day and age it would be all CGI, so the battles would definitely be more intense. But on the other hand, because the Btech franchise isn't as BIG as Star Wars in terms of popularity, they would need some way to advertise it in a way that would get more people to watch it. After all, the big reason why shows like Rebels and Clone Wars were so successful was because they had a bigger fanbase in terms of popularity of source material. If Battletech got another show, I think they would have to make it for a more...mature audience since the original cartoon was more or less meant for kids of that kind of mind set at the time.

After all, it was the cartoon that got me into Battletech in the first place, not the tabletop game, not the MechWarrior games, not even the books. It was the cartoon and the toys that came with it that got me into it. At the time, I had no idea that it was just the tip of a much bigger iceberg than what I already knew. Which is why I think that Battletech deserves another shot at either the small screen or the big screen. But if done RIGHT, as in getting a better budget, better story, better writers, better director, I think a Battletech movie or TV show would be a big hit. Given the technology we have today, I'd say the time is right for a new Battletech show or movie.

But again, the problem is advertising. What we need to do is advertise a Battletech movie or show in a way that will get people interested and WANT to see it. We can't say stuff like, "It's like Game of Thrones, in space" or "Star Wars has NOTHING on this!" It has to be unique in a way that will get people to want to watch it.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 15 April 2018, 12:39:50 »
But again, the problem is advertising. What we need to do is advertise a Battletech movie or show in a way that will get people interested and WANT to see it. We can't say stuff like, "It's like Game of Thrones, in space" or "Star Wars has NOTHING on this!" It has to be unique in a way that will get people to want to watch it.
i think that angle would have to be:

"A BattleMech is a modern knight's steed and armor, rolled into one."

Frankly, that IS the most unique, visceral thing to Battletech. If I were to write an entirely new story, it would be the main character inheriting his father's 'Mech and barony just a bit too young, with a great deal of pomp and ceremony as he first climbs in and activates it.

Play up the combination of high technology and feudal government. Maybe have the overarching storyline be that yes, MC has to worry about bandit raids at first, but the REAL enemy is his duke, who is scheming to put one of his favored underlings in the MC's barony. So he calls the MC's unit up and sends them on a certain-death mission, a planetary invasion, which he then somehow wins, foiling the badguy duke and calling attention to himself from the overlord.

I might even want to set it in the post-Jihad Free Worlds League, as that has a lot of options for politicking and combat, both within and without the once-FWL worlds.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #40 on: 15 April 2018, 12:50:02 »
I might even want to set it in the post-Jihad Free Worlds League, as that has a lot of options for politicking and combat, both within and without the once-FWL worlds.

or even in the 3100s post-reunification before the Regulans are back in and the Wolf-Steiner alliance is steamrolling everybody

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 15 April 2018, 13:31:18 »
My favorite as a kid was Jayce and The Wheeled Warriors!! 😂 I had ALL the toys!! I refuse to watch it ever again. I don't want my childhood memories violated and destroyed by an adult appreciation of things like, plot, art quality, voice acting, etc... 🤣
On a hobbling side note: about 20 years ago, I dug out my old box ot the toys and converted about a dozen of the vehicles for my 40K Space Ork army... 🤣
I never got into the Btech cartoon, really. Just didn't draw me in for some reason?? I loved the game though so you would think I'd be auto-hooked! But no. 🤔
One of the writers for the new Voltron said something along the lines of "We are making the show that we remember, not the show we watched as kids."
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
« Reply #42 on: 15 April 2018, 13:54:04 »
It was one of the greatest cartoon ever!

FASA should have gone to WB/DC and let Paul/Dini make this cartoon...It would have been a Masterpiece.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #43 on: 15 April 2018, 14:57:10 »
And that actually brings me to one of the reasons BattleTech (cartoon) failed: poor toys. I know Tyco was rushed, but when you compare their offerings to those of the competition - Exo-Squad - they come off looking even worse. I have a few, and man, they are awful.

Not only that, they were expensive.  I remember seeing them on store shelves as a kid and thinking about just how much more they cost than other action figure lines that were available (which also tended to have much more variety).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 15 April 2018, 17:02:40 »
The 'information is ammunition' line always pissed me off. Information is a metaphorical leaver, and means jack if you don't have the force to capitalize on the leaver.

Probably says something about my state of mind at the time

I second the call for animated Grey Death. The fact that it's not at the current end of the timeline is, IMHO, a feature and not a flaw.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 15 April 2018, 17:18:18 »
I second the call for animated Grey Death. The fact that it's not at the current end of the timeline is, IMHO, a feature and not a flaw.

Agreed.  If Grey Death goes well, you can scoot along to a different group in an off-shoot, like the Kell Hounds which were rather successful well after the Clans, then do a Rebels-style time skip through Jihad events to go in to the Dark Ages if you wanted.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #46 on: 15 April 2018, 19:33:15 »
I wouldn't mind seeing another take at a animated BT story but I don't see it in the cards. People have pitched BT media in the past and it hasn't went anywhere and fan projects don't get allot of criticism from fellow fans.   
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 16 April 2018, 00:15:17 »
Sitcoms are more in vogue these days.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 16 April 2018, 00:38:17 »
I wouldn't mind seeing another take at a animated BT story but I don't see it in the cards. People have pitched BT media in the past and it hasn't went anywhere and fan projects don't get allot of criticism from fellow fans.   

doesn't help that the last fan project got quashed by topps.

http://www.sarna.net/news/animated-mechwarrior-teaser-back-up-after-being-hit-with-cease-and-desist/

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #49 on: 16 April 2018, 07:05:07 »
Ladies and gentlemen, two things:

• We are not interested in rehashing BattleTech's troubled legal history in here.  Drop the subject, move back to the BattleTech cartoon itself.  In particular, further references to the current Harmony Gold lawsuit are forbidden.  We have a thread for that, it's not this one.
  • Quit bringing up illicit distribution.  That's spelled out in Rule 10 that we will warn for even the mention of illicit channels.  It was spelled out in Rule 12 previously in exactly the same language.  The moderation staff has already removed two posts from this thread over it.

If either of those directives continues to be a problem, this thread will be locked.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 16 April 2018, 07:16:46 »
One thing I've always had stuck with me was the movement noises of the Mech's, thats how I kind of imagine them sounding, whilst autocannon sounds are CLEARLY from the original Mechwarrior Mercinaries, which had the best AC sounds *nods*

Tyrchon

• Corporal
« Reply #51 on: 16 April 2018, 10:49:35 »
I've always kind of wondered about a return of the Battletech animated series, either a direct continuation or a spiritual successor.  However, as has already been noted, it seems there a number of difficulties to overcome for such a thing to happen, primarily getting enough interest outside of the Battletech community itself and ironing out issues of distribution and such.  When I initially saw that fan trailer for a fan made animated series I actually had the thought at the time that maybe the way for Catalyst and Topps to go forward with an actual animated project would be to do so in the form of a webtoon, similar to what Rooster Teeth has done with their various animated series.  It would be an interesting path for them to take, but it would still require them to put together or contract an animation studio which they probably wouldn;t do unless they saw a large enough desire from not just fans but those outside the fan community.

There's always hope that Netflix may one day call up and say, "Hey, remember that old cartoon from the 90's?  We'd like to stream that."

Who knows where it could go from there.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #52 on: 16 April 2018, 11:17:39 »
It's a hard sell considering the PC games have given the BTU more exposure than the cartoon. Add the fact Saturday morning cartoons are a thing of the past, putting money on a new animated series in a niche market vs back into a game might not be worth while.   
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 16 April 2018, 11:38:23 »
It's a hard sell considering the PC games have given the BTU more exposure than the cartoon. Add the fact Saturday morning cartoons are a thing of the past, putting money on a new animated series in a niche market vs back into a game might not be worth while.   
Netflix Original or similar could be a route for BT/MW series. More likely it would lead to a live action but still. Rights might be problematic though? And pitch would have to be very, very convincing.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 16 April 2018, 12:06:31 »
While thoughts of a new BT animated series are a good thing, I think something else needs to be cleared up first: Who, if anyone, may have the rights to the original BT series and if those rights are exclusive for any animated works going forward? Considering how muddled everything is with the IP as a whole, having a clear understanding of that, I would think, would be important. Maybe it isn't worth either Toops or MS's time/money to iron out.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #55 on: 16 April 2018, 12:18:51 »
Walt Disney would at least have the rights to the original show - they bought Saban, which produced the Animated Series.  Unless FASA had some special clause about the rights, they'd have stayed with Saban up until the point that Disney bought them in 2002.  Saban International Paris, the studio that made the show, was shuttered in 2008. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saban_Entertainment)
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 16 April 2018, 15:58:54 »
Walt Disney would at least have the rights to the original show - they bought Saban, which produced the Animated Series.  Unless FASA had some special clause about the rights, they'd have stayed with Saban up until the point that Disney bought them in 2002.  Saban International Paris, the studio that made the show, was shuttered in 2008. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saban_Entertainment)
Oh.

My.

God.

Victor Steiner-Davion is a Disney Princess.

It all makes sense now!

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #57 on: 16 April 2018, 16:40:58 »
Nicholas Kerensky is the true Disney Princess of Battletech. How else do you think he got all those critters to show up and get Clans named after them?
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 16 April 2018, 16:49:59 »

I am not sure if that is still the case.  I do know for instance that Saban has bought back the rights to Power Rangers so the past 3 or 4 seasons I think have been Saban and NOT Disney.  There was a sale long ago but  Saban does not appear to be part of Disney any longer (or never was and only sold their content I am not an expert on this). 

Though in this case it may not make a difference since even if Saban is not part of Disney and bought back Power Rangers it does not mean they bought back other shows such as BT (heck I did nto know it was a Saban show since it does not fit his typical MO).

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #59 on: 16 April 2018, 17:01:41 »
Ha ha ha. They killed those characters very deliberately to make room for all-new toys. They fully knew they were "traumatizing" kids and were counting on it. I've read period articles from the Hasbro executives, and they were very proud of what they'd done.

And that actually brings me to one of the reasons BattleTech (cartoon) failed: poor toys. I know Tyco was rushed, but when you compare their offerings to those of the competition - Exo-Squad - they come off looking even worse. I have a few, and man, they are awful.

Yes they did kill them on purpose to sell new toys but from the interviews I have seen and the articles I read the executives did not expect such a reaction from the children watching and disregard the warnings of the Transformer writers and the director that said it would be a mistake.  I certainly trust their version of the events especially if you remember that in later cuts of the movie used when split up for TV it makes certain to let you know that Optimus Prime would come back and they also did that in a future episodes of the show later because of how poorly it went over at the time.  Hasbro received a huge letter campaign about it and felt like they had to make those changes to salvage the situation.  The original cut of the movie lacked that disclaimer and that was due to them not expecting the backlash.  They did not think the characters meant anything at all so it would be easy to eliminate them and give out new ones.

I will say that I agree with the others that the deaths and animation do make the movie more memorable and I also really like the movie being an old Transformers fan but from what I had seen from interviews for some of the head writers and the director of the movie I really think that things did not go over as intended with Hasbro.

I actually did not mind the toys as I thought they looked decent an they almost fit in with the Exo Squad toys but I will say that the reason they do not compare as well is more due to how great the exo squad toys were rather than how poor the Battletech toys were (also Battletech sadly got stuck with some very 90s toy colors just like Gen 2 Transformers did and that is too bad).

Register