Author Topic: NHL 2017-2018, now with 3% more kniggets  (Read 41219 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
Re: NHL 2017-2018, now with 3% more kniggets
« Reply #60 on: 22 October 2017, 20:32:35 »
I caught the last half a period and OT of their game vs. the Blues.  They still look like and play like an expansion team.  One that the bounces are definitely going their way at the moment.  Subban went down last night with an injury in the 3rd period so they are down to their 3rd tender.  I'm waiting to see what happens when they play other playoff worthy teams.  Not that St. Louis isn't, but the Blues, like any Mike Yeo coached team, flip a coin on what shows up (or doesn't).

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #61 on: 23 October 2017, 00:27:35 »
It's way too early to write them in for a playoff spot, but I'm starting to think they may finish a lot better than that 30th spot I had them penciled for.
You and everybody else associated with the NHL. Then I remember that the Avs and Coyotes are still in the NHL and I have them finishing 28th at worst
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 23 October 2017, 23:58:46 »
NHL's 7th man extraordinaire, Antti Niemi, has put on waivers and will likely be released.  One hopes for his sake and every other NHL team that he hangs up those skates.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #63 on: 24 October 2017, 08:21:05 »
NHL's 7th man extraordinaire, Antti Niemi, has put on waivers and will likely be released.  One hopes for his sake and every other NHL team that he hangs up those skates.

With Fleury and Subban injured, and Calvin Pickard having been let go to Toronto, it wouldn't surprise me if Vegas kicked his tires a little. Depends on what the long-term prognosis is on Fleury (sounded like he was skating again though).
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #64 on: 24 October 2017, 14:10:46 »
Fleury is skating, and Florida picked up Niemi.
I have spoken.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 24 October 2017, 14:17:15 »
The prognosis for lu must be pretty poor if Florida took a flier on him.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 24 October 2017, 23:17:52 »
This link summarizes everything just so well https://twitter.com/TedCaps/status/922856162768359430/photo/1

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #67 on: 25 October 2017, 07:38:00 »
This link summarizes everything just so well https://twitter.com/TedCaps/status/922856162768359430/photo/1

I think that was my exact reaction too many years ago when I heard about the Joe Thornton trade. Just... 'wut?' followed by numb drinking.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #68 on: 27 October 2017, 11:52:03 »
Q: What's the difference between the Montreal Canadiens and the Titanic?

A: One is old, rusty, full of faded glory, and at the bottom of the Atlantic. The other one is a boat.

(Heard that this morning and couldn't stop laughing at it)

+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #69 on: 27 October 2017, 12:24:56 »
Vegas vs Colorado tonite. Two potential bottom feeders face off
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #70 on: 27 October 2017, 12:49:17 »
Vegas vs Colorado tonite. Two potential bottom feeders face off

Might want to check the current standings... whatever happens from here, Vegas is looking like they don't want to have much of a shot at the first pick next summer, anyway.  ;)

+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #71 on: 27 October 2017, 13:52:40 »
There's still time and 70+ games to play. I expect both teams to miss the playoffs and the Avs to battle Phoenix for overall last place

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: 27 October 2017, 17:31:21 »
Vegas scheduled a game during happy hour?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 27 October 2017, 21:04:03 »
Vegas 7, Av 0 = the Avs suck rotten eggs

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #74 on: 28 October 2017, 14:02:55 »

A: One is old, rusty, full of faded glory, and at the bottom of the Atlantic. The other one is a boat.

:))    :))    :))

I am so glad I wasn't drinking anything as I read that, or I'd be on my way to buy a new monitor!
I have spoken.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #75 on: 28 October 2017, 14:06:47 »
Vegas 7, Av 0 = the Avs suck rotten eggs

Hey, they have 10 times as many points as the Coyotes at least!   ;)
I have spoken.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 29 October 2017, 00:56:27 »
I expected the Coyotes would be bad, but dumpster fire might be the best euphemism I can come up with describe them (tastefully).  Raanta's being healthy is unlikely to make this team that much better and the fact that they traded for Scott Wedgewood today can't be a good sign.

Is it possible?

-Barry Melrose is a better head coach than Rick Tocchet.

-Louis Domingue is actually worse than Ondrej Pavelec.

-The Coyotes break the modern futility record and record less than 8 wins or 21 points for the season?

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #77 on: 30 October 2017, 07:37:25 »
I'll actually be impressed if they find a way to finish worse than Colorado last year. That should take actual effort.

When they forced Doan out, I thought it was a little classless. Now it looks like it was one last favor to him.

+Crow T. Robot+

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #78 on: 30 October 2017, 21:50:46 »
Fitting that it's Devil's Night, because the truly supernatural has occurred.

The Yotes have won a game, and the Boba Fetts have lost one!  :o
« Last Edit: 31 October 2017, 07:38:46 by Fat Guy »
I have spoken.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #79 on: 31 October 2017, 05:20:15 »
Finally got around to making my first post to this thread.  Has been a busy past few months and I'm finally coming up for air.

I should have said this like six weeks ago, but...well, what a summer it was for the Habs.

Alex Radulov, who was their main offensive sparkplug last season, gone to Dallas, a victim of his own (and his agent's) greed.  (Looks like he really was a merc after all.)

Andrei Markov, who was until the end of last season the longest-serving player on the roster, and STILL their best defenceman and most accurate passer at 38, gone to the KHL, a victim of Marc Bergevin's boneheaded intransigence.  (At least he had the decency to say that signing with another NHL club after spending his whole career with the Habs didn't feel right.)

Alexei Emelin, hardest-hitting defenceman but who had become a defensive liability, let go in the expansion draft and claimed by Vegas.

Nathan Beaulieu, traded to Buffalo for...basically a bag of pucks.

And a whole raft of new faces, including one in his second go-round with the Habs.

Jonathan Drouin, from Tampa, intended to replace Radulov.  The aim seemed to be to mold him into the French-speaking #1 centreman this team has craved for so long.  But they had to give up the future of their defensive corps by trading away Mikhail Sergachev to get him.

Two aging veterans who had even less left in the tank than Markov in the oft-injured Ales Hemsky and Mark Streit (his second stint with the Habs), the hope being the latter could replace Markov.  And David Schlemko from San Jose, a man who's spent almost as much time in the AHL as NHL, and who proved to be damaged goods and still hasn't played a single game in a Habs uniform.

The big free-agent signing was not the #1 centreman the Habs have needed since...oh, 1993-1994...but Karl Alzner from the Caps.  The hope seemed to be he would be an upgrade on Emelin...

Whipping boy Alex Galchenyuk, who had his best season when the Habs were taking 2 years ago (you know, the one that saw the P.K. trade), re-signed to what amounts to a bridge contract, and still on eggshells with the coach and GM.

And the biggest news:  Carey Price becomes the richest goaltender in NHL history, with a contract eclipsing even Lundqvist's.

All of the trade-deadline acquisitions from last season, with the exception of Jordie Benn, are gone--retired, released, or traded.

And what did Habs fans get for all this?  For losing their most complete two-way player, most stalwart defender, and assembling an old, slow defensive corps that seemed to be intended to be a meat shield around Price--a whole corps that would play just like their GM did when he was a player?  And then not using training camp and the pre-season to try and assemble this crew into a cohesive team, but rather to evaluate who would be sent to the newly-relocated farm team?

Well, now 12 games into the season, and just look at the standings.

The Habs have not started this poorly since the third year of WORLD WAR II.

It's almost like Marc Bergevin looked at the way his team played in their first-round series loss to the Rangers, decided he wanted more of THAT, and set about building a team that couldn't move and couldn't score.  And that's pretty much what they've shown so far.**

Streit was done after 2 games and released.  (Markov?  Almost a PPG pace for Ak Bars Kazan in the KHL)
Hemsky?  Back on IR, where he's spent most of the past several seasons.

Every defender on the team, with the exception of Benn--who seemed to fit like a glove last season but who has been just awful so far--in minus territory.

A first line that on paper looks like it should be one of the most feared offensive forces in the league, but on most nights has been a Ghostly Trio.  The experiment with Drouin at centre has been an early failure.

It's been...goals?  What are these magical things of which you speak?  Especially hard for them to find in California, it seems.

But the biggest enigma so far...Carey Price.  His numbers so far aren't even respectable for an AHL goalie.  It's like he's come down with what Habs fans would call Plekanec-itis--sign a big fat contract and then your performance falls off a cliff.  It's like he's playing with ADD out there, he can't keep track of the puck at all anymore.  And a big contributor to that, IMO, is that "meat shield" mentality--anywhere from a third to half of the goals he's let in are on deflections off his own players, just sitting there and cutting his sight lines.  That was a problem last year with Michel Therrien's PK system, but now it's affecting Price's 5-on-5 play too.

If not for how badly the Coyotes were doing, I would say that the Habs would be this year's version of last year's Avs.

**Well, they have won their past 2 games.  Especially tonight's 8-3 demolition of the Sens, always satisfying.  But 3 of those victories have come against other bottom-feeders playing their backup goalies--and still took EVERYTHING THEY HAD.  This was the first time this season the Habs actually chased the opposing team's first-string goaltender, and one who's been a killer against them in the past.

But still too early to say they've turned a corner.  Unless they can somehow go on a storybook run like the Jackets did last season, they lost this season in the first 10 games.

Habs fans had better settle in for a LONG season. 

cheers,

Gabe

So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #80 on: 31 October 2017, 09:09:15 »
Alex Radulov, who was their main offensive sparkplug last season, gone to Dallas, a victim of his own (and his agent's) greed.  (Looks like he really was a merc after all.)

Do the Habs not understand how free agency works?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #81 on: 31 October 2017, 10:54:03 »

Looking at their past few summers, seems they don't get it WELL at least. The door seems to be more 'exit' than 'entrance' for them, Radulov's arrival in the first place aside.

+Crow T. Robot+

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: 31 October 2017, 11:05:59 »

No, they understand very well.  Bergevin just took a position with Radulov and stuck to it.  He made clear he wanted to retain the services of Radulov and Markov, as long as they were on HIS terms.  And those terms are now proving detrimental to the success of his team.

What stung the most about Radulov was that he signed with Dallas for almost exactly the same money and term that the Habs offered him.  And Bergevin remains adamant he made his offer first.  But because taxes in Texas are MUCH lower than in Quebec, Radulov gets to see somewhere between an additional 3-4 million in the bank over the length of his contract.  And he'd gone on a number of times about how Montreal fans were the best in North America and it was all "for the fans."  I don't know when the Stars visit Montreal next, but when they do, Radulov will almost certainly get a chorus of boos usually reserved for the most hated players on the Bruins or Sens, or Chris Kreider.

With Markov, Bergevin just hung a man who was perhaps his most loyal AND intelligent player out to dry.

Bergevin's cap management was SO good that the Habs still have 8.5 million in reserve cap space.  And they've been playing like a team that looks it.  No bona fide #1 centre, and no mobile, puck-moving defencemen.  They used to have one of the latter a little while back, a pretty decent one...Pernell Somethingorother...

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 02 November 2017, 23:19:48 »

That is the truth, and boy does it hurt.

It's what prevents the Habs from taking the steps necessary to accomplish a complete rebuild the way other teams (Leafs, Pens, Hawks, to name a few) have:  tank for 5+ years, get some great draft picks and rebuild around them.  It's that continued belief that they can be a contender every season with a (now aging) core that keeps underperforming year after year that won't let the management swallow the bitter pill. 

In their case though, it's not just that, they've also horribly mismanaged their farm system for nearly the last decade, especially under Bergevin's tenure as GM.  Charles Hudon, finally with the big club this season, represents the best of what they've been able to develop in the AHL.  There sure as heck ain't much else coming up.  (This in contrast to the Marlies, the Leafs' AHL affiliate)

cheers,

Gabe
« Last Edit: 03 November 2017, 02:50:14 by gyedid »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #84 on: 03 November 2017, 00:46:48 »
Varlamov had 57 saves tonite. WTF?! Where was the defense? Amazingly, the Avs still won.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #85 on: 03 November 2017, 09:46:32 »
Varlamov had 57 saves tonite. WTF?! Where was the defense? Amazingly, the Avs still won.

They don't have one. It's Tyson Barrie and not a great deal else- there's probably nowhere else the team is weaker. Varlamov is getting shelled- again. Last year that resulted in him missing half the year when he broke down, and poor Pickard took the beating the rest of the way. Well, he's not there anymore (Toronto lucked out big-time getting that kid), so if Varlamov breaks again- likely!- it's going to be another spiral to the bottom.

Someone on Hockey News' comments section made a case for trading with the Capitals to get Orpik in exchange for Duchene. Even Sakic isn't that stupid, but the Avs need blue-line help desperately. I suspect it isn't coming along to save this season (lulz), but hopefully their next draft doesn't go with another skinny forward as-usual.

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #86 on: 04 November 2017, 02:25:33 »
It's that continued belief that they can be a contender every season with a (now aging) core that keeps underperforming year after year that won't let the management swallow the bitter pill. 
Well Plekanec and his noose of a contract will be off the books next year.  Mitchell and Hemsky also have one year left too.  That gets a few of the 30+ off the roster next year.  Anyone else on the team in their 30s is at least on the low end so should in theory have a couple good years left on them.

Schlemko, if he ever gets healthy, should be a boost to the team's defense.  Trading away all those defenseman and letting Markov walk was a huge mistake.  He wasn't great, but he was effective.

There is also some respectable d-men that will be available next year and Montreal certainly will have more cap space which is pretty modest right now anyhow.  John Carlson goes UFA and he is going to cost more money than the 4 mil he makes right now and I can't see the Caps giving him the raise he is going to command on the open market.  Calvin De Haan makes 3.3 right now and while he probably will get more too, it won't be more than say 4 mil a year.  I say trade either Galchenyuk or Shaw for Carlson and other booty.  I'll pack Tom Wilson's bags for you whether or not you want him to get him off this team and ship him north.

Someone on Hockey News' comments section made a case for trading with the Capitals to get Orpik in exchange for Duchene. Even Sakic isn't that stupid, but the Avs need blue-line help desperately.
I guess the op doesn't realize how bad our defense is at the moment either.  Orpik isn't going anywhere until at least Niskanen gets back.  While I'd take that trade 9/10, it is to much salary coming back the Caps direction so the Avs would have to retain some of it.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 04 November 2017, 20:53:09 »
Officially 3 years, 7 months, 30 days and counting since Tuukka Rask last beat the Washington Capitals.  That there is some wretched and horrible bad luck.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #88 on: 05 November 2017, 10:19:52 »
Officially 3 years, 7 months, 30 days and counting since Tuukka Rask last beat the Washington Capitals.  That there is some wretched and horrible bad luck.

That game was rough... awful opening frame, and a pretty decent last 40 minutes wasn't enough to overcome. Great game from Tom Wilson, very good late-game stretch by Pastrnak, but the usual result between the Caps and B's, sadly enough.

+Crow T. Robot+

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #89 on: 05 November 2017, 19:30:13 »
Three-way trade just now occurring between Ottawa, Colorado, and Nashville. Matt Duchene to Ottawa, Kyle Turris to Nashville. More to come.

+Crow T. Robot+