Author Topic: What movies/tv are we watching part what ever: Running the streams!  (Read 73697 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: What movies/tv are we watching part what ever: Running the streams!
« Reply #60 on: 13 October 2022, 14:22:28 »
I don't get the hate for She-Hulk breaking the 4th Wall.  She was the first mainstream superhero to popularize doing so (I'm not sure if Animal Man started doing it before her but he's decidedly more obscure).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #61 on: 13 October 2022, 15:21:29 »
I wouldn't say I hate it, just that the way the show does it is just not working for me.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #62 on: 13 October 2022, 18:43:52 »
Watched Casablanca. Claude Rains just steals the show IMO.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #63 on: 13 October 2022, 18:52:11 »
I’m also loving the new Quantum Leap so far, and as a huge fan of the original series from when it first came out (remember watching many episodes, including the pilot, with my dad back then), I’m loving the callbacks, and am looking forward to more.

And also highly enjoyed the She-Hulk season finale.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 13 October 2022, 19:48:54 »
ok zieram 1 and 2
still fun 20 years plus
and gunhed
ost just fits it so good
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #65 on: 13 October 2022, 20:48:46 »
I watched Screamers about a week or so back, because I hadn't seen it in over 20 years.  (I saw it at the theater when I was stationed in Hawaii!)  Saw it on Tubi, and a few days later I was passing over what I Thought was the same movie.  Nope.  I FINALLY paid attention, then I was like, "Lance Henriksen wasn't in that!", so then I looked at the Description of the movie. 

It took them FOURTEEN YEARS to make a Sequel!  :o   ;D  So now I've seen Screamers: The Hunting, and it's yet another "Pretty Okay" Sci-Fi Sequel.   :-\  Not bad, a LOT of things you can see coming a light-year away, but still better than a lot of other "Sci-Fi Channel" movies. 

SOOOOO glad I didn't PAY to see it though!   ::)

;D
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #66 on: 13 October 2022, 21:18:59 »
Okay that fourth wall break for She-Hulk finally worked for me.

Over all not bad.  I won't mind watching a season 2.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 14 October 2022, 02:27:51 »
I’m also loving the new Quantum Leap so far, and as a huge fan of the original series from when it first came out (remember watching many episodes, including the pilot, with my dad back then), I’m loving the callbacks, and am looking forward to more.

And also highly enjoyed the She-Hulk season finale.

Ruger

My gripe so far, is in the original, he didn't have the 'rewind time' aspect, the new one does.....

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #68 on: 15 October 2022, 09:51:36 »
Werewolf by Night (2022) I was surprised this was a quick one that clocks in under an hour, and it's not bad at all. Probably the best Marvel's put out since Spiderman No Way Home. The B&W horror motif is a nice nod to the old school horror movies of the past. Rating: 7/10

Black Sunday AKA Mask of Satan (1960)
old Italian horror movie about a witch coming back to life in order to revenge herself on an old aristocratic family in 19th century Moldova. It's somewhat dated, but still worth watching. Rating: 6/10

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #69 on: 15 October 2022, 10:19:19 »
My gripe so far, is in the original, he didn't have the 'rewind time' aspect, the new one does.....

Where is this rewind time ability?

I have seen no indication of such so honestly curious if I missed something somehow.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #70 on: 15 October 2022, 12:10:04 »
Where is this rewind time ability?

I have seen no indication of such so honestly curious if I missed something somehow.

I assume he's talking about the slingshot function they mentioned a couple episodes ago where Ben apparently came up with a way to slingshot himself to times beyond his own lifetime. 

I am digging the new Quantum Leap so far.  They could have called it Quantum Leap: The Search for Sam.   :D

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #71 on: 15 October 2022, 12:19:06 »
I assume he's talking about the slingshot function they mentioned a couple episodes ago where Ben apparently came up with a way to slingshot himself to times beyond his own lifetime. 

I am digging the new Quantum Leap so far.  They could have called it Quantum Leap: The Search for Sam.   :D

Which I would not call a rewind time ability.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #72 on: 15 October 2022, 18:29:08 »
Watched Casablanca. Claude Rains just steals the show IMO.

Ah, a gentleman of taste and proper upbringing.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #73 on: 15 October 2022, 19:22:01 »
For some reason I have been watching Mathnet from the old PBS show Square One.

Loved the show when I was a kid. Not the same now, but still ok.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #74 on: 15 October 2022, 21:30:36 »
Mathnet was about the only reason I was willing to watch Square One.  I was pretty disappointed when it replaced 3 2 1 Contact.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #75 on: 15 October 2022, 23:05:22 »
Finally caught Eternals.

It was not as bad as I was led to believe but it wasn't that great either.

I appreciate they were trying to setup a moral gray area but it felt like they screwed around with it for so long that when they did finally decide it felt super rushed and kind of unresolved in a way.  Which isn't a bad thing in of itself but I do feel like that isn't something that meshes entirely well with a limited runtime and it showed.

6/10.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #76 on: 16 October 2022, 00:56:14 »
I thought from the previews, he had the capacity to re-wind time a little..  So it seemed..  BUT since i watch La brea during the time QL is on, i've not actually seen it.

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: 17 October 2022, 03:58:14 »
I watched Snow Monster vs. Ice Shark last night.  I watched it on Tubi, but I've no doubt it first aired on the Sci-Fi Channel.   xp  Wasn't Horrible, and I've seen worse, but I've also seen a LOT better.  I think it was Chinese, dubbed into English?  And No, the closed captioning did NOT always align with the dubbing.   ;D

There was "A" Snow Monster, close in size to King Kong, so don't mistake it for "Yet another Abominable Snowman/Yeti movie!", though I can't say you wouldn't be disappointed regardless.  And there are MULTIPLE Ice Sharks!   :o   Each one is easily the size of "Bruce" from Jaws, if not larger, and in 1 scene we see the fins of 7 or 8.

I hit FF a few times, but Probably not as often as I should have.   :D

I plan on watching Galaxina today or tomorrow!   :thumbsup:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 17 October 2022, 15:46:30 »
I;d say 95% or more, of those "Sci-fi specials', on monsters, were utter crap.. 

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #79 on: 17 October 2022, 19:45:06 »
Halloween Ends
I have to be honest I went in with limited expections, but was not how the "current" film series should have ended.  Rating 2 of 10
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 18 October 2022, 00:14:47 »
Loved the elm street series of horror films.  Was Meh for the friday the 13th (the first few).  never liked the halloween ones..

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: 18 October 2022, 22:25:17 »
Halloween Ends
I have to be honest I went in with limited expections, but was not how the "current" film series should have ended.  Rating 2 of 10
Saw it tonight, was wondering when it was going to start being a "Halloween" movie.   :-\  I thought it was "Ok", maybe 4 of 10.  Seen worse, seen a lot better.

But at least the Halloween Cash Cow HAS Ended!  ;D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #82 on: 18 October 2022, 22:44:42 »

You just HAD to jinx it.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #83 on: 19 October 2022, 07:36:46 »
Bandit (2022) Josh Duhamel plays a criminal who escapes to Canada and ends up robbing nearly a hundred banks. Based on a true story, it has some occasional good scenes, but on the whole it's pretty pedestrian. Oh and Mel Gibson is in it too, and this could be his best movie in a long time. Rating: 6/10

LOTR Rings of Power Season 1 (2022) Lots of nice visuals and great production values, but I thought the story was generic and none of the characters gained my sympathy. All in all, worth watching, but not a masterpiece by any means. Rating: 6.5/10

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #84 on: 19 October 2022, 15:55:51 »
See and that was the problem, this is the last Blumhouse one...  but...
Jason Blum: I didn't say it's gonna be the last Halloween movie. It's our last Halloween movie. We have no more rights to make any more Halloween, so it goes back to Malek Akkad. And what he does, only he knows, but we are done. And this is our last one and I think people will be very happy.

Even John Carpenter claims the goal is to end the franchise, but if something makes money, it's hard for studios to wrap things up for good.  Just wait for the next Reboot and now u jinxed us
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 19 October 2022, 16:17:43 »
I've been waiting to get a review for that mel/dumahel film Bandit..  Thanks  So it's at least worth checking out from the library.

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #86 on: 20 October 2022, 00:27:06 »
You just HAD to jinx it.

I Hope not, Sorry!  :-[

After telling a friend about it, he made a comment that made me think.  He said, from hearing my description of it, they were like, "We have to make another movie, let's have some drinks and hammer something out.", and what we got at the theater is the result.   ;D

I have to walk back my "Score", and give it the same as DOC_Agren, a 2 out of 10.   :-\  It's over 2 hours long, and we don't even see Michael until about an hour in.  Then he . . . doesn't act like the Michael we've seen in ALL the previous movies.  And Jamie's character has been to/through therapy and is all about "forgiveness and looking forward"?   ???  We FINALLY get to it being an Actual Halloween movie about the last 30-45 minutes.

As "A Movie", it isn't Horrible.  The story isn't THAT bad, and it's entertaining at least.  Well, I thought so.   :D  But it's the weakest Halloween movie I've seen, though I haven't seen ALL of them.  Just feels like a weak ending to the series/franchise to me.  :-\

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 20 October 2022, 00:32:29 »
I watched Galaxina today, and it was as Okay as I'd remembered.   :D  Had a gag or 2 that the writers Obviously took from Alien, which came out in '79, and Galaxina was released in '80.  Saw Avery Schreiber as Captain Cornelius Butt.   ;D

Still haven't gotten desperate enough to watch Robot Jox yet.  I've seen it before, on VHS, and the bits I've seen online since then don't give me much Inspiration to rewatch it!  ;D

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 20 October 2022, 01:00:02 »
Robot Jox
Robot wars (also known as robot jox 2
and Crash and burn
, USED to be guilty pleasures of mine..  back in the day.
BEEN over 2 decades, since i've seen any of those 3.

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #89 on: 23 October 2022, 08:54:34 »
Nitro Rallyecross Sweden, finals on youtube.
"Nemo my name forevermore"
Nightwish - Nemo

Register