Author Topic: Imroved ER Lasers (I)ER Lasers  (Read 3849 times)

Cidwm

• Warrant Officer
Imroved ER Lasers (I)ER Lasers
« on: 08 February 2011, 14:23:02 »
Overview:
       In the early 3060s the Innersphere were able to copy Clan weapons in the laboratories. Even though they could replicate Clan technology it was found to be to expensive to mass produce the weapons due to rare materials and hard to manufacture alloys. In May 3068 the WOB started a project to shorten the technological gap between their militarizes and the Clans. The first R&D project was ER laser weaponry. The project found by using Clan focusing assemblies on the Clan ER lasers and combining them Innersphere ER laser technology it was possible to make an improved ER laser weapons at reduced cost over the prohibitive copying of Clan weaponry.

In 3077 the first practical prototypes of the (I)ER Small and medium laser were tested  with the following year having seen (I)ER Larger Laser prototype tested for the first time. All the new (I)ER Lasers had improved damage with the Large version having increased range.

Tech:Innersphere(experimental)
Damage type: Energy

Small        Medium        Large
Weight:                  0.5                 1                    5
Critical:                   1                    1                    2
Heat:                      2                   5                    12
Damage:                4                    6                    9
Short range:          1-2               1-4                 1-7
Medium range:      3-4               5-8                 8-12
Long range:          5                  9-14               15-20

After the liberation of Terra, data was seized of the (I)ER Laser weaponry but no functioning examples have been recovered yet.

Edit: fixed ranges.
« Last Edit: 08 February 2011, 15:31:45 by Cidwm »

Cidwm

• Warrant Officer
Re: Imroved ER Lasers (I)ER Lasers
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2011, 10:13:03 »
No replies?

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2011, 11:44:33 »
No replies?

I'm not sure how many people actually check this board instead of going straight for the design sub-forums.

In any case, your designs aren't very exciting, just the pre-existing IS ER lasers with a +1 damage bump and a slight long range boost for the Medium and Large. There's really nothing to comment over.

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2011, 23:04:53 »
Not bad.  It is possible to make a whole series of lasers and PPCs progressing from the basics to Clan but not sure they really have a place in the game.  Still a fun experiment.

majesticmoose

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2011, 16:32:06 »
Any time custom equipment is made, figuring the BV for it can be problematic.

There's nothing wrong with what you posted, just I'd never use it because of the fact I'd have a tough time weighting it against official stuff...

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2011, 22:17:48 »
To ballpark the BV you can plug the weapon into HMP to get a BV1 value and then compare with existing lasers and adjust to BV2 proportionally - should be able to get real close.

majesticmoose

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2011, 10:44:27 »
To ballpark the BV you can plug the weapon into HMP to get a BV1 value and then compare with existing lasers and adjust to BV2 proportionally - should be able to get real close.

If i had HMP, yes I could.

BV's tend to be damage times range in some variation, with modifiers for to hit and head cap damage, but with out something handy like HMP to give a calculation...

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2011, 18:29:45 »
They need some kind of drawback.  As is thay're just better than the existing.  Give them extra heat, or wors brackets or something.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

ATN082268

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2011, 11:24:07 »
They need some kind of drawback.  As is thay're just better than the existing.  Give them extra heat, or wors brackets or something.

Not every new piece of new tech needs some kind of drawback so long as the Battle Value (BV) is fairly accurate. A lot of Clan tech is just plain better than the Inner Sphere tech it is based on, like double heat sinks, ER Large Laser, LRMs, etc, etc...

Register