Author Topic: (Answered) Aspiring new player who's a bit confused  (Read 1546 times)

TophatTerry

• Recruit
(Answered) Aspiring new player who's a bit confused
« on: 10 April 2021, 01:41:59 »
Not sure where to post this, sorry if its wrong

So I've been interested into getting into this game and took a look at some of the rules and I'm quite confused as to what the current edition/rules are. I played a game with the introductory box (Griffin and Wolverine) and the game was fun but nowhere near what I heard it was like. then I found the 4th edition rules and they are far more in depth and interesting. stuff like Heat, Torso Twists, Locations of ammo banks, Falling, Pilots getting killed etc.

My question is, are these two seperate editions? Is the 4th edition outdated and the current game is just simpler? Does all that stuff get added back in the Total Warfare Book? Are the rules in the Introductory setting just REALLY dumbed down and 4th is the current edition. If the introductory rules are reflective of the current game then I'd rather play the 4th rules but if thats the case and 4th is outdated then is there any point to getting the newer boxes and minitures since they wont have as much detail on their sheets? I've looked everywhere but I can't find a clear awnser so I'm hoping someone can awnser my question.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2021, 18:46:47 by Xotl »

TophatTerry

• Recruit
Re: Aspiring new player who's a bit confused
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2021, 16:28:56 »
Okay, after a lot of digging I found the awnser. its just that the Rules for the introductory box are super dumbed down.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Answered) Aspiring new player who's a bit confused
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2021, 15:13:09 »
The Beginner Box is indeed super-stripped down. It's designed to give you the most absolute basics of gameplay, and otherwise those rules are never seen again.  The A Game of Armored Combat box is the standard rules package, the most recent iteration of the old 4th edition rules that you found.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0