Author Topic: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 5, Green Eyeshade Edition  (Read 152008 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
Re: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 5, Green Eyeshade Edition
« Reply #600 on: 18 January 2020, 13:22:44 »
Finally did my PM. A bit more messy than other PMs I've done, but it gets the job done.

Opted to not get the neoprene maps.  I like them, but the one I was after was strana mechty and you'd need two to get both halves of the circle.  Not paying that much for sight unseen. Far as I understand, it's available later? Paper?  I only budgeted an extra $200 in my pledge so I was very careful as I selected addons.  When I was done I still had over $100 left.  ;D  Went back a little less finicky and got to only owing $6.09.  :thumbsup:

Upgrading my character was really tempting but a bit too much for something like that.  Maybe if the upgrade is still an option after I get my tax return.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #601 on: 18 January 2020, 13:35:54 »
And that right there is why they're going to reopen the pledge manager for wave 2...  ^-^

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #602 on: 18 January 2020, 13:55:34 »
Question for Catalyst: later than anticipated pledge closure, mini samples not yet delivered, Chinese New Year coming up: March delivery for wave 1 backers not in the cards, right?

Kargush

• Sergeant
  • Grenades cost extra
« Reply #603 on: 18 January 2020, 14:08:57 »
I love asking dumb questions, so I shall proudly continue that tradition here.

Do we have a rough idea of when all this new stuff is going to be available to commonplace mortals who didn't back the kickstarter? Late 2020, first half of 2021, "to be announced"?
Buy'ce gal, buy'ce tal
Vebor'ad ures aliit
Mhi draar baat'i meg'parjii'se
Kote lo'shebs'ul narit.

4th Donegal Guards
7th Sword of Light
1st Canopian Cuirassiers

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #604 on: 18 January 2020, 14:15:17 »
No clear indications. They had hinted that some of the wave 1 stuff might hit retail after initial delivery but before wave 2 - but no official schedule

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #605 on: 18 January 2020, 14:38:21 »
I love asking dumb questions, so I shall proudly continue that tradition here.

Do we have a rough idea of when all this new stuff is going to be available to commonplace mortals who didn't back the kickstarter? Late 2020, first half of 2021, "to be announced"?
well, you can still join in case you missed it
https://app.crowdox.com/projects/450703636/battletech-clan-invasion
although with the same scheduling uncertainties common for ks.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #606 on: 18 January 2020, 14:51:28 »
Finally did my PM. A bit more messy than other PMs I've done, but it gets the job done.

Opted to not get the neoprene maps.  I like them, but the one I was after was strana mechty and you'd need two to get both halves of the circle.  Not paying that much for sight unseen. Far as I understand, it's available later? Paper?  I only budgeted an extra $200 in my pledge so I was very careful as I selected addons.  When I was done I still had over $100 left.  ;D  Went back a little less finicky and got to only owing $6.09.  :thumbsup:

Upgrading my character was really tempting but a bit too much for something like that.  Maybe if the upgrade is still an option after I get my tax return.

Strana Mechty should not be available in paper later on, no.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Kargush

• Sergeant
  • Grenades cost extra
« Reply #607 on: 18 January 2020, 14:58:30 »
No clear indications. They had hinted that some of the wave 1 stuff might hit retail after initial delivery but before wave 2 - but no official schedule
Cheers. I'll hope for summer then.

well, you can still join in case you missed it
https://app.crowdox.com/projects/450703636/battletech-clan-invasion
although with the same scheduling uncertainties common for ks.
Not with shipping rates as they are from across the pond.
Buy'ce gal, buy'ce tal
Vebor'ad ures aliit
Kote lo'shebs'ul narit.

4th Donegal Guards
7th Sword of Light
1st Canopian Cuirassiers

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #608 on: 18 January 2020, 14:59:12 »
Question for Catalyst: later than anticipated pledge closure, mini samples not yet delivered, Chinese New Year coming up: March delivery for wave 1 backers not in the cards, right?

With any kickstarter, even if everything goes perfect, just assume you're not going to see anything until 6 months after they said it would be ready and be pleasantly surprised if it shows up earlier.

Strana Mechty should not be available in paper later on, no.

What about neoprene?  KS only?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #609 on: 18 January 2020, 15:42:35 »
can't speak for all international shipping, but at least EU shipping is way lower than ordering from the US in retail.
of course if you have a local shop that offers Battletech usually at decent prices that is something different.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #610 on: 18 January 2020, 15:57:58 »

They have warehouses around the globe. Across the pond isn't really true. Where are you living?

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #611 on: 18 January 2020, 15:59:20 »
What about neoprene?  KS only?

Not marked as such, no.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #612 on: 18 January 2020, 17:01:45 »
So I am kind of excited that the character questionares are coming out soon.

Kargush

• Sergeant
  • Grenades cost extra
« Reply #613 on: 18 January 2020, 17:09:18 »
They have warehouses around the globe. Across the pond isn't really true. Where are you living?
Norway. So I pay 25% VAT on top of everything else. And then a customs fee (easily another 30+ USD) if I don't do all the paperwork myself (which requires knowing the name of the company that does the actual shipping).

Hence why I want to know when it hits stores.
Buy'ce gal, buy'ce tal
Vebor'ad ures aliit
Kote lo'shebs'ul narit.

4th Donegal Guards
7th Sword of Light
1st Canopian Cuirassiers

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #614 on: 18 January 2020, 18:16:57 »
With any kickstarter, even if everything goes perfect, just assume you're not going to see anything until 6 months after they said it would be ready and be pleasantly surprised if it shows up earlier.

I was a backer of the star-crossed Robotech RPG Kickstarter.  Quote: “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe...”

But based on the updates, seems like this one will ‘only’ be a month or 2 late.  Generally when dealing a project like this, the delay is (typically) in the back and forth with over seas manufacture, and most project managers will know ahead of time that there will be a delay, I’m kind of surprised that no one at catalyst is looking at a calendar and going

“Oof, no,”

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #615 on: 18 January 2020, 18:38:44 »
Norway. So I pay 25% VAT on top of everything else. And then a customs fee (easily another 30+ USD) if I don't do all the paperwork myself (which requires knowing the name of the company that does the actual shipping).

Hence why I want to know when it hits stores.

I know Norway is no EU member, but since when do you have to pay customs fees for stuff send from the EEA?

Kargush

• Sergeant
  • Grenades cost extra
« Reply #616 on: 18 January 2020, 23:48:04 »
I know Norway is no EU member, but since when do you have to pay customs fees for stuff send from the EEA?
Since as long as I can recall.
Buy'ce gal, buy'ce tal
Vebor'ad ures aliit
Kote lo'shebs'ul narit.

4th Donegal Guards
7th Sword of Light
1st Canopian Cuirassiers

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #617 on: 19 January 2020, 00:07:33 »
What little I know working at a shipping counter, every country is a little different when it comes to international shipping for multiple reasons.

Just think of Customs as Hermes from Futurama, they are not here to make things easy foe any of us;

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #618 on: 19 January 2020, 00:21:14 »

Considering how little they have in wave 1 to produce I don't think it will slip too much. They likely have all the molds done already for the mechs. By now they already have a base idea on what to produce, and likely will go ahead and overproduce for retail sales (and those who haven't closed their PM) once those start.

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #619 on: 19 January 2020, 04:34:24 »
Considering how little they have in wave 1 to produce I don't think it will slip too much. They likely have all the molds done already for the mechs. By now they already have a base idea on what to produce, and likely will go ahead and overproduce for retail sales (and those who haven't closed their PM) once those start.
that's an aspect I personally would like to hear more about from CG, as it would inform my own estimates.
However in general I doubt that either the fulfillment company nor  the factory in China is interested in doing retail warehousing for them, which would pretty much happen in the "overproduction based on estimates" case.
Because either the factory has to store the stuff until exact numbers are clear and then send on the containers to the various QML distribution hubs and the excess to the CG retail warehouse. Or the factory sends estimated batches in containers to the distribution hubs and QML has to send the excess after fulfillment from every hub to CG's retail warehouse.
Both cases sound like a workaround, that is potentially possible if you pay either party for it, but not necessarily probable.

My guess, if they are running retail production it is on separate line with separate containers, which wouldn't help the ks fulfillment but also wouldn't necessarily have a negative impact.
Of course it is just a guess from my side, based on past ks fulfillment processes, but such processes are always hard to compare as each project is unique and can arrange different workflows.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #620 on: 19 January 2020, 05:08:30 »
that's an aspect I personally would like to hear more about from CG, as it would inform my own estimates.
However in general I doubt that either the fulfillment company nor  the factory in China is interested in doing retail warehousing for them, which would pretty much happen in the "overproduction based on estimates" case.
Because either the factory has to store the stuff until exact numbers are clear and then send on the containers to the various QML distribution hubs and the excess to the CG retail warehouse. Or the factory sends estimated batches in containers to the distribution hubs and QML has to send the excess after fulfillment from every hub to CG's retail warehouse.
Both cases sound like a workaround, that is potentially possible if you pay either party for it, but not necessarily probable.

My guess, if they are running retail production it is on separate line with separate containers, which wouldn't help the ks fulfillment but also wouldn't necessarily have a negative impact.
Of course it is just a guess from my side, based on past ks fulfillment processes, but such processes are always hard to compare as each project is unique and can arrange different workflows.

They will have to overproduce anyway, to be able to compensate for shipments not arriving at their destination and for mispacked items. Whatever is left after that, will be sent from QML to CGL anyway or to retailers.

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #621 on: 19 January 2020, 05:25:07 »
They will have to overproduce anyway, to be able to compensate for shipments not arriving at their destination and for mispacked items. Whatever is left after that, will be sent from QML to CGL anyway or to retailers.
but there is a difference in magnitude.
Anyway, if it works out fine I won't complain. :)
I just wouldn't rely on it.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #622 on: 19 January 2020, 05:42:43 »
but there is a difference in magnitude.
Anyway, if it works out fine I won't complain. :)
I just wouldn't rely on it.

Given the problems they have had with the Sprawl Ops Kickstarter and their logistics partner, their margin of error might be rather higher this time around ...
Just to be on the save side.

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #623 on: 19 January 2020, 05:57:30 »
Given the problems they have had with the Sprawl Ops Kickstarter and their logistics partner, their margin of error might be rather higher this time around ...
Just to be on the save side.
which is my point, giving up the security of having exact numbers before production, one of the huge advantages of ks for the creator, would result in excessive safety margins beyond the expected losses, in particular if you use half a dozen shipping hubs which each need those safety margins.
Of course you can do it, but you usually have to pay for it and personally I don't think it's worth it just to safe a few weeks in the production cycle.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #624 on: 19 January 2020, 18:13:08 »
strana mechty and you'd need two to get both halves of the circle. 

Wait, is that accurate? Do I need to go back and grab a second copy just to get a full circle?! what good does that do anyone?
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #625 on: 19 January 2020, 18:16:24 »
Wait, is that accurate? Do I need to go back and grab a second copy just to get a full circle?! what good does that do anyone?

That's what it says.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #626 on: 19 January 2020, 18:19:35 »
That was always my impression as well. I ordered two so I’ll be mad if I read poorly

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #627 on: 19 January 2020, 18:30:21 »
No, I'm the one who misread. *grumbles and antes up another $30* The heck is anyone supposed to do with half of a circle of equals?
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #628 on: 19 January 2020, 19:08:33 »
The heck is anyone supposed to do with half of a circle of equals?
Lay it out next to a mirror.

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #629 on: 19 January 2020, 19:24:13 »
Lay it out next to a mirror.
or call it the Semicircle of Equals or Circle of semi-equals  :)
hmm or "Half of the truth" - ah, no that's already 21