Author Topic: Netflix The Push  (Read 983 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Netflix The Push
« on: 07 March 2018, 23:18:11 »
I am just wondering if anyone has seen this hour special that Netflix produced.

After hearing about it this morning on the talk radio I decided I wanted to get my wife to watch it with me.  Particularly since the program I was listening to played the opening monologue from the director where the premise was clearly laid out.  I spent 10 minutes weathering my wife's grumping about it until the monologue played and the opening scene played out- then she was hooked and making the little shocky/shrieky sounds.

She is quite happy that she ended up picking the right number, but lots of discussion followed- and she is still talking about it.  Just wondering what other folks thought.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Netflix The Push
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2018, 00:58:22 »
I haven't even heard of it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Recklessfireball1

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2018, 09:13:37 »
Same.  Zero idea what you're talking about.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2018, 09:39:42 »
I am just wondering if anyone has seen this hour special that Netflix produced.

After hearing about it this morning on the talk radio I decided I wanted to get my wife to watch it with me.  Particularly since the program I was listening to played the opening monologue from the director where the premise was clearly laid out.  I spent 10 minutes weathering my wife's grumping about it until the monologue played and the opening scene played out- then she was hooked and making the little shocky/shrieky sounds.

She is quite happy that she ended up picking the right number, but lots of discussion followed- and she is still talking about it.  Just wondering what other folks thought.
Are you talking about the Derren Btown social experiment?
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Netflix The Push (Minor Spoilers)
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2018, 10:52:35 »
I think that was his name, they were using social compliance and associated theories.

I think the 1 hour presentation can be used in a lot of ways- for one thing its a easy way to answer the question in history classes, 'how did the populace go along with the Nazi/Stalinist purges & pogroms?'  He goes through and explains what- well 'handles' for lack of a better term, they use to manipulate the four subjects into complying with the actor's demands and how they overcome objections.  Heck, we hear stories about people caught up in criminal acts that are not career criminals and find themselves somewhere they did not expect to be- 'the situation took on a life of its own' and similar statements.

Heck, its how con-men work.  I was a huge fan of the BBC's Hustle and when at the end of the episode they would do the reveal you could see these elements at play.  Its why they often times had one of their team getting taken the same time as the mark.

I know it was not ground breaking research but the presentation was great and with technology you could observe so much along with a extremely realistic set up.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2018, 19:33:40 »
I don't like 'experiments' like this as they screw with an unknowing 'subject' who can up being traumatized by what they did during the 'experiment'. I watched about three minutes and the thought of abducting a child  as their first experiment sickened me and I turned it off.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner