Author Topic: Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives (all volumes)  (Read 27804 times)

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
Re: Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives (all volumes)
« Reply #30 on: 12 September 2016, 08:47:12 »
XTR: Primitives V, Record Sheet (ON1-C)

The record sheet is missing the SRM-4 described in the ON1-H narration on page 7:

"Although the seventy-five ton BattleMech met the High Command’s speed and armor requirements, its firepower—consisting of a single medium autocannon, an SRM quadrack, and pair of medium lasers—were far too lackluster for a front-line war machine."
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 25 November 2017, 07:08:47 »
XTRO Primitives, Vol 5, latest pdf version, Page 5, "WVR-1R Wolverine"

Problem: the entry makes a number of references to the AFFS (Armed Forces of the Federated Suns, although it never spells out the abbreviation), beginning with describing the Norse BattleMech Works grabbing the contract ahead of companies in the Capellan March, in part due to implicit support from First Prince Ellen Davion. The AFFS didn't come into being until Alexander Davion's reforms of the Federated Suns following the end of the Davion Civil War in 2540, seventy years after the commissioning of the Wolverine in the 2460s/70s.

Solution: replace "AFFS" with "FPF" for Federated Peacekeeping Forces, which as per House Davion (The Federated Suns) p. 25 and Handbook: House Davion p. 20 was the state military of the Federated Suns prior to the formation of the AFFS. Given that the FPF history is only really detailed in two books, it would probably be worth spelling out the abbreviation the first time it's used in the article, as I doubt everyone is familiar with it.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
« Reply #32 on: 10 June 2019, 21:10:03 »
XTRO:Primitives, Vol V, p. 13, "Colt Medium Fighter" and attached record sheets

Problem: The Colt Medium Fighter is described as having variant with SRMs, based on this, 3rd paragraph, 2nd sentence-
"(A short-range variant, which swapped the LRMs for quad-SRM launchers also fed by a single one-ton magazine, was introduced by EAC in 2375.)"
No record sheet for this variant was provided.

Solution: add a record sheet for the Colt (SRM) to any future revised printing.
S.gage
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Until the next Clan Invasion or Jihad, Clan Schrödinger's Cat is and is not Annihilated. :)
Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Novel Clan Golden Century BattleMechs, Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, 1st & 2nd Generation Clan OmniMechs.

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
« Reply #33 on: 20 June 2019, 17:43:47 »
XTR:Primitives, Vol. III, p. 11, "Alacorn":

Gauss Rifles didn’t go into production until 2590.  TM p219. We lost production, not prototype, dates (unless the unit was only ever a prototype). So the Alacorn VI has to be 2590.  Have to check on the III and IV. Those will likely change.

Problem: Since the Gauss Rifle was introduced in 2590, a few of the dates in the Alacorn description have to be adjusted. These still have to conform to Alacorn entries in both TR:3058 (p. 74) and TR:3058U (p. 202).

TR:3058- "The Alacorn dates back to the Star League—The New Earth Trading Company delivered the first Alarcorns to the SLDF in 2587."
TR:3058U- "New Earth Trading Company delivered the first Alacorns to the original SLDF in 2587."

MUL and XTR:Primitives, Vol III identifies these first SLDF deliveries as Alacorn Mks III and IV. However, the dates in XTR:Primitives do not correspond to weapons development or to the MUL.

Solution: Alter the following lines-
"The HAF passed on the Alacorn, but the company revisited the design a decade later,..."
to
"The HAF passed on the Alacorn, but the company revisited the design two decades later,..."

"...but NETC soon rolled out what is now known as the standard Alacorn Mk. VI—mounting three of the still-experimental, but massively powerful Gauss rifles—in 2587."
to
"...but NETC soon rolled out what is now known as the standard Alacorn Mk. VI—mounting three of the still-experimental, but massively powerful Gauss rifles—in 2590."
« Last Edit: 20 June 2019, 17:49:36 by S.gage »
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Until the next Clan Invasion or Jihad, Clan Schrödinger's Cat is and is not Annihilated. :)
Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Novel Clan Golden Century BattleMechs, Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, 1st & 2nd Generation Clan OmniMechs.

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 28 August 2019, 09:04:42 »
XTRO:Primitives, Vol. IV, p. 23, "Rifleman RFL-2N":

THE ERROR: Tonnage comes in at 54 tons (4 tons heavy) with given equipment, weapons, and armor (to include leaving 3pts of armor wasted at 11.5 tons). SSW was used and the depicted RS configuration BV added up to 1093 just as published but is not a legal design

THE CORRECTION: Either:
1.) Raise the tonnage to 60 tons, keeping the current configuration and speed profile and remove one single heat sink.
2.) Keep the 50 ton weight and reduce the engine to 150 making the mech 3/5/0 and still removing one single heat sink.
NOTE: In either case, the 11.5 tons of standard armor (if kept) has 3 points of armor wasted that should be distributed. 

mordel

• Artificiosus Caupo
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Master Sergeant
    • Mordel.Net
« Reply #35 on: 28 August 2019, 22:01:10 »
I think you may have forgotten to switch for the fact that the 2N is an intro design, whereas the 1N preceding it is Primitive. The armor factor is 120, with standard armor that comes out to 7.5 tons.

XTRO:Primitives, Vol. IV, p. 23, "Rifleman RFL-2N":

THE ERROR: Tonnage comes in at 54 tons (4 tons heavy) with given equipment, weapons, and armor (to include leaving 3pts of armor wasted at 11.5 tons). SSW was used and the depicted RS configuration BV added up to 1093 just as published but is not a legal design

THE CORRECTION: Either:
1.) Raise the tonnage to 60 tons, keeping the current configuration and speed profile and remove one single heat sink.
2.) Keep the 50 ton weight and reduce the engine to 150 making the mech 3/5/0 and still removing one single heat sink.
NOTE: In either case, the 11.5 tons of standard armor (if kept) has 3 points of armor wasted that should be distributed.

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 28 August 2019, 23:01:13 »
I think you may have forgotten to switch for the fact that the 2N is an intro design, whereas the 1N preceding it is Primitive. The armor factor is 120, with standard armor that comes out to 7.5 tons.

Well it looks like SSW set the armor to "industrial" without my knowledge as I built the sheet from a RFL-3N so hooray for that... That also corrected the problem and I can stop wondering how it got messed up.

Need me to delete or edit my first post?

mordel

• Artificiosus Caupo
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Master Sergeant
    • Mordel.Net
« Reply #37 on: 29 August 2019, 06:59:15 »
Well it looks like SSW set the armor to "industrial" without my knowledge as I built the sheet from a RFL-3N so hooray for that... That also corrected the problem and I can stop wondering how it got messed up.

Need me to delete or edit my first post?

Nah... I've posted errata that was wrong before. :)

KhanWick

• Recruit
« Reply #38 on: 11 September 2021, 08:24:49 »
XTRO Primitives V, page 7 and 21. The fluff text for the primitive orion mentions that the ON1-C carried an SRM-4 in addition to its other weapons. The record sheet for the ON1-C lacks this missile launcher.

Fix: Either remove the reference in the fluff or add the SRM 4 to the record sheet.

XTR: Primitives V, Record Sheet (ON1-C)

The record sheet is missing the SRM-4 described in the ON1-H narration on page 7:

"Although the seventy-five ton BattleMech met the High Command’s speed and armor requirements, its firepower—consisting of a single medium autocannon, an SRM quadrack, and pair of medium lasers—were far too lackluster for a front-line war machine."

Having not seen a definitive answer above, I ran the ON1-C through the primitive construction rules (Jihad Secrets: Blake Documents) and determined that it does not have the SRM. The 360 engine takes up so much mass (33 tons) that 14.5 tons of armor, 2 medium lasers, and a AC/5 with a single ton of ammo brings it to 75 tons.

The record sheet is correct and the fluff is wrong.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #39 on: 25 October 2022, 15:55:27 »
XTRO Primitives, Vol. 3, p. 6

Replace every instance of "Defiance Industries" with "Witten Industries"
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Register