Author Topic: CSO paint-along with Gunji  (Read 218546 times)

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
CSO paint-along with Gunji
« on: 23 September 2013, 09:51:46 »
On CSO we have been talking about tutorials recently and one idea was to make it a bit more interactive. Born was the idea of the paint-along. So without further ado ... welcome to the first CSO paint-along!

In this thread I will post step-by-step pictures of how I paint a Mjolnir BattleMech in the colors of the Republic Standing Guard. But instead of just posting a long tutorial on CSO at once (which I will do after the paint-along) I want you to join in. I invite you to grab a miniature and a brush and follow the steps, post pictures of your miniatures and get feedback as we go along.

You don't have to paint a Mjolnir and you don't have to use the Republic Standing Guard scheme, but it will of course be the best comparison. The Mjolnir is a fantastic sculpt in my opinion, it is relatively new and is relevant to the current timeline. The scheme of the Republic Standing Guard is simple and with a military green being the dominant color it is very flexible as there are a plethora of "green" units out there.

Before we start I must admit I "cheated" a bit. At first the idea was to make this a "live" paint-along with me posting steps as I continue painting the miniature. But I was very unsure if my way of painting makes for a good step-by-step as my process is usually pretty chaotic jumping from color to color all across the miniature. Knowing I had to structure my process I started to work on the Mjolnir to see if this works. Then I decided to postpone the start of the paint-along until after the Iron Painter deadline, but of course I continued painting in the meantime. Long story short, the Mjolnir is finished, but I have approximately a hundred in progress pictures which I can release one step at a time. And no worries, you will get the unfiltered truth including all the mistakes ...

Here is a small teaser what to expect:

After each step I will give you a couple of days to catch up, post pictures of your work and for me to comment on the pictures. And of course to answer questions. So feel free to fire away anytime.

I want to point out though that the paint-along (obviously) shows my way of painting which may or may not work for you. Some steps will also likely go beyond what some are willing to do, but I will try to point out "jump off" points or shortcuts where appropriate. For example you can easily omit the weathering or throttle back on the overall contrast.
Especially when it comes to technique and ways of doing things miniature painting is very individual. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, may even be needlessly complicated to you. But knowing different techniques and different methods to reach a goal can only add to your toolbox. In the end it is all about tweaking different techniques to fit your own style and your own ways of painting.

But enough disclaimer now ... let's get this thing started ... here are the first two steps:

Step 1: Mjolnir assembled, cleaned, based and ready for priming.
Preparation for me means removing all mold lines and imperfections with an x-acto knife and files, completely assemble the miniature and attach it to the fully built base (if I can avoid it I never paint my miniatures in pieces or not-based). On very rough surface I also use very fine wet-and-dry sandpaper to smooth everything out. The Mjolnir is standing on a plastic base and the terrain was built using Miliput, fine sand/gravel and small pieces of slate.
Before painting I also glue the miniature to a handle (usually a small wooden cube or old paint pot). I strongly advice not to handle the miniature while painting. Handling the miniature while painting can easily flake of paint and the grease from your skin can have many negative side effects as well (like paint not sticking to the now greasy surface). Chose a handle you can, well, handle comfortably and you will see it even makes reaching some spots easier.
The one thing I didn't like about the miniature was the stance. I wanted it to have a little more movement. The best way would have been to remove the integrated base completely, but I took the lazy route: separate the legs, bend legs into desired shape and build up the base to resemble a small hill to hide the rest of the integrated base.

Step 2: Priming miniatures is usually a two step process. First I prime the miniature in black. Using black spray (I use GW Chaos Black spray ... yes, it is expensive, but it I never had problems with it, I can get it locally and since I paint single miniatures most of the time a can lasts a long time for me) and after the spray is dry watered down black paint to get to all the spots the spray didn't reach. This is actually a very important step for me as it means exploring the miniature with a brush for the first time. At this point I can find small mold lines or imperfections I missed during clean up, but also develop ideas how to paint details and generally get to know the lines of the miniature. The second step when priming is a light dusting with white spray (again GW). I don't want coverage, just a light dusting (and yes, I was a bit heavy on the white here...). Why do I do this? Well, I could write something about complex light theories and how this helps to establish lights and shadows even before painting, but the truth is I simply like the "feel" of it. I usually paint over more or less opaque basecoats and rarely use the primer color to my full advantage. But the white dusting makes for a rougher surface than a single primer color (but be careful - if you can feel the roughness or see what looks like small grains something went wrong and you better start again) and I like the way this surface takes paint.

And that's it for now. I hope some of you are interested in joining this CSO paint-along. I will wait a few days to gauge interest and for you to join in and catch up before I post the next steps where the actual painting starts :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To make the thread a bit more usable/readable here are direct links to posts of interest:

- Thoughts about priming:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,33513.msg782467.html#msg782467
- Core color selection:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,33513.msg782486.html#msg782486
- Thinning paints / brushes / Step 3 (basecolors) / Step 4 (filter/wash):
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,33513.msg782708.html#msg782708
- More thoughts about priming:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,33513.msg785609.html#msg785609
- Shading and highlighting techniques / Step 5 (shading the red I) / Step 6 (shading the red II):
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,33513.msg786661.html#msg786661
- Highlighting techniques / Step 7 (highlighting the red I) / Step 8 (highlighting the red II) / Step 9 (highlighting the red III) / Step 10 (grey parts and cockpit):
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,33513.msg789952.html#msg789952
- Step 11 (shading the green) / Shading video / Step 12 (highlighting the green I) / Step 13 (highlighting the green II):
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,33513.msg793984.html#msg793984
- Thoughts about metallics / Step 14 (metallics and decals):
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,33513.msg797856.html#msg797856
- Step 15 (laser lenses / chipping and scratches):
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,33513.msg800566.html#msg800566
- Step 16 (markings and numbers) / Step 17 (finish the shading and highlighting / chipping revisited) / Step 18 (warning stripes) / Step 19 (rust / dirt washes):
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,33513.msg804737.html#msg804737
- Step 20 (base) / Step 21 (pigments):
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,33513.msg809645.html#msg809645

Milestones collage:
Link to the most current final milestone collage.
« Last Edit: 07 November 2013, 10:41:29 by GunjiNoKanrei »

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
Re: CSO paint-along with Gunji
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2013, 10:06:14 »
I love this idea.  I won't be able to paint along because I have no spare minis left, but it is definitely something I am going to follow.

Thanks for doing this!

Shichiro

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2013, 10:07:49 »
Like the idea and will look forward to how this pans out.

Love the movement you have added with the pose.

Mwenski

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2013, 10:19:20 »
I'm very interested in this format, I'm watching this topic.

serrate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2013, 11:06:26 »
OMG, awesome idea! I'm so in. Will pick a mech this afternoon and get started tonight.   O0

Spaceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 23 September 2013, 11:53:24 »
This awesome. I just finished building a marauder that I am going to prime tonight to paint along :).
Demo Agent #567 Binghamton, NY (Southern Tier)
FLGS: Jupiter Games - Johnson City, NY

Southern Tier BattleTech Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/STierBattleTech/

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2013, 12:04:25 »
Glad to see this come to light Gunji. One problem though, all I see is little red x's.  :(

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 23 September 2013, 12:36:33 »
This is a brilliant plan.
I wish I had the time to participate but the next two weeks are gonna be nuts.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #8 on: 23 September 2013, 13:02:14 »
Awesome!  Does this mean I need to get one of these going since I volunteered to go second?  :D

(once you finish up of course!)
« Last Edit: 23 September 2013, 13:05:36 by Savage Coyote »

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2013, 13:34:48 »
I’m at work right now, so I cannot read the whole thing (I can only bounce in, check a few things and go), but just a thought (sorry if it’s already mentioned)…what about doing small videos on panel highlighting, or washing, etc. Steps that a lot of us take for granted, that people who are trying to build their skills would benefit from.

It’s also nice to see per Savage’s post that this will not be the only one. I’m looking forward to seeing techniques from several of my favorite CSO people on here…

Thanks to the CSO team for coming up with this & getting it to go live!
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

SteelWarrior

• Lieutenant
    • SteelWarrior Battletech
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2013, 13:51:44 »
Im particularly interested in how you weather......great idea and thanks for the work on your part :)
Check out my Battletech Youtube Channel at:

SteelWarrior Battletech
https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelWarriorBT

For Video Battle Reports/Hobby Tutorials/Product Reviews

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
    • darklined.com
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2013, 14:53:57 »
Glad to see this is generating some interest :)

@Todd: I have checked on three different devices and can see the pictures without problems. Maybe a firewall at work blocking them?
Is anyone else having problems with the pictures?

@Dragon41673: videos are a good idea and I have actually played around with this. The results are so and so as I haven't found an ideal setup yet (the wife's look when she saw me filming myself while painting ... priceless). Maybe I can edit them into something useful. Maybe I will revisit the idea when I can find the time. We'll see.

@Ross: Start the brainstorming ;)

@SteelWarrior: If the weathering is the most interesting part for you might also want to check out this article on CSO: http://www.camospecs.com/Article.asp?FictionID=56

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: 23 September 2013, 15:09:51 »
Never had that problem before from my work comoputer. Weird. Anyway, I look forward to checking it out when I get home.  O0

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

SteelWarrior

• Lieutenant
    • SteelWarrior Battletech
« Reply #13 on: 23 September 2013, 15:32:21 »
I checked out the weathering tutorial a few months ago, was very insightful. For me i find the more examples and displays of a technique i can see, the more confident i am when i give it a shot! 

Ill be watching ;)
Check out my Battletech Youtube Channel at:

SteelWarrior Battletech
https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelWarriorBT

For Video Battle Reports/Hobby Tutorials/Product Reviews

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #14 on: 23 September 2013, 15:55:47 »

@Ross: Start the brainstorming ;)

*cough*DonegalGuards*cough*

Sorry... had something in my throat! ;)

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #15 on: 23 September 2013, 16:48:24 »
 ::)

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #16 on: 23 September 2013, 23:27:39 »
Okay Gunji I like the idea and will do this with you, but with a Thanatos.

After washing the mini, I filed each of the hex base sides with a large flat file so as to remove the mold lines.

Then the main body was epoxied into the hex base and let dry. The epoxy I use is the one squeeze self mixing in the "syringe" 5 minute setting kind that you can get a Wal Mart.

Once the epoxy was cured, I then removed the mold lines on the mini. There were quite a few to remove, especially the legs, across the top of the torso and each of the arms.

The original artwork for the Thanatos has one medium pulse laser sticking out of each left and right torso, but for some reason, the mini didn't have them. So I drilled out some holes in each of the torso's per the artwork and added steel rods that I flattened the ends with and glued (super glue gel) them in place.

I also drilled out the missile tubes in the right arm and both barrels for the left arm.

With a jeweler's saw, I then cut the right arm off from the shoulder as I didn't like the downward angle of the right arm weapon. I drilled out a hole into the right shoulder and did a dry fit with the pin to check that the angle was level. It was. I then eyeballed where the right shoulder should be repined to the torso and drilled another hole accordingly. Another dry fitting between the right shoulder, the pin in the right shoulder and the right torso was then done. Once completed, I then pinned the right arm (the pin used can be seen in one of the pictures below) into the torso with super glue gel.

I like my mechs with weapons up and aiming. Even the left arm and torso weapons are aiming forward.

The modifications to the Thanatos are mine alone and are outside of the purpose of Gunji's "Follow along guide". I put the information above for what I did in case anyone else would like to do the same mods to the mini. For those just getting into mech painting and doing Gunji's "Follow along guide", do not feel compelled to do what I did.

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 23 September 2013, 23:30:18 »
The Thanatos primed with Howard Hues white primer that was watered down just a little before applying.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 24 September 2013, 00:51:21 »
Okay Gunji I like the idea and will do this with you, but with a Thanatos.

I'd recommend you add jumpjets on the back.  ;) current mini is lacking all five of them.

The Wayfarer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 24 September 2013, 05:34:02 »
Just a thought but, a paint list would be nice to have in advance in case we need to pick up a couple of different or specific colors.

Don't have a Mo'Jo on hand but I may be able to dig up another Republic unit to follow along with.

Interested though I think I may pass on the dusting-white primer phase.  I could see myself screwing up a good base-primer coat with it.

Thanks!

Mike
Revelations 6:8. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #20 on: 24 September 2013, 07:18:41 »
It's interesting to see people get similar effects in a different way.  I've taken to priming my minis grey and then applying a black wash before I paint, which works out about the same as your black prim and white dusting.

I also attach my minis to paint pots, but I use Blu-Tak rather than glue.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

serrate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 24 September 2013, 09:15:40 »
Ok, I didn't have a Mjolnir, so I decided on an Enforcer III. Similar humanoid shape, with similar shoulder armor, but sadly lacking the awesome hammer.

I'm not fond of the stance of the EIII, so after removing the mold lines I started chopping. My goal was to have him torso-twisting to the left and bringing that left arm weapon into firing position. I also wanted him to look as though he was making a quick change of direction, by freeing that left lower leg and reattaching as though it's kicked up and he's changing direction of run towards the target on his left.  Here he is after jeweler's saw:

First, I did some filing on the knee joint to clean it up and make it ready to be seen from a different angle. Then drilled holes for pins in the knee ball and the corresponding position in the upper leg. I glued this together, but got the angle wrong at first (to my eye). In order to give the impression of changing direction, I felt the leg needed to be angled so that the foot was behind the torso and not lined up with the original facing. Broke it loose and repositioned/re-glued.

Next I drilled holed for the torso mounting and glued the torso back to the legs. After this I removed some extra material from where the arm was originally connected to the torso. After dry-fitting the left arm in place, I was satisfied with the position and glued it in place. Since I felt like the arm wouldn't normally experience much stress, I took my chances and didn't pin this bit.

I was pleased with how it turned out, but when it's on the table I'll have to make it clear which hex is the "front". The right leg and hips are still pointing forward, but the focus of the mech is clearly to the left and when the basing is finished it should also be evident that the new direction of travel is left as well:

Bleh, that's a terrible pic. Tonight, I'll do the basing and then prime it.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #22 on: 24 September 2013, 09:41:04 »
Tag
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 24 September 2013, 10:20:11 »
Thanks for doing this... I've been waiting for you to do a complete tutorial ever since that Cicada in your weathering tutorial...

Of course you decide to do it when I'm swamped with school and have no time to paint...  :(

Do you mind answering questions about this... Oh, I don't know... Maybe during the summer?

Caz

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
    • darklined.com
« Reply #24 on: 24 September 2013, 10:39:33 »
Glad to see so many participants :)
I will wait another day for everyone interested to catch up and post the next step(s) tomorrow. If this is too soon, just tell me. I guess finding the best speed to advance is something we have to figure out on the fly.

@Force of Nature: Thanks for the write-up. Very nice modification.
If I may ask, why do you prime with a brush? The results I was getting from brush-on primer were always, well, not so good. Judging by your pictures it looks like your primer is a bit uneven, with thicker paint build-up in corners and around ridges. But pictures can have a tendency to exaggerate things like that.
Also, do you plan on building and priming the base later?

@The Wayfarer: It is not a good base-primer coat unless you give it the white dusting ...  8) Seriously though, looking forward to your participation.
Regarding a color list, my plan was to mention colors as I use them. I also wanted to suggest similar colors or alternatives as I am pretty sure not everyone will have the exact colors I have used. I don't think having the exact same colors is a must. But if it helps, I can post a colorlist when I am home from work later today.

@serrate: Very nice mod. The repose adds a lot of dynamism to the Enforcer. It might be a bit more difficult to paint due to the many panel lines, but should work nicely nonetheless.

@Cazaril: Ask questions when you have the time, even if it means during summer ... ;)

I also attach my minis to paint pots, but I use Blu-Tak rather than glue.
Ok, to clarify, I use something similar to blu-tak. Maybe my wording there wasn't the best ... ;)

::)
So ... are you in?  ^-^

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: 24 September 2013, 10:56:12 »
Just finsihed up the last of my 'required' pieces so I will be jumping in on this as well. I have an Argus primed and ready that I have been meaning to get to for some time. The plan is to make a Gunji-clone.  :D

-Gunz

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #26 on: 24 September 2013, 11:04:40 »
I'm in awe to see this tutorial here! Many thanks and good luck!
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 24 September 2013, 19:49:23 »

@Force of Nature: Thanks for the write-up. Very nice modification.
If I may ask, why do you prime with a brush? The results I was getting from brush-on primer were always, well, not so good. Judging by your pictures it looks like your primer is a bit uneven, with thicker paint build-up in corners and around ridges. But pictures can have a tendency to exaggerate things like that.
Also, do you plan on building and priming the base later?

I primed with a brush as that is what I have available to prime with. I have not had bad experiences with brush on primers, but I have had bad experiences with spray primers though. As for the base and priming it, I will do that last as that is the easy part for me.

I appreciate your time in doing this tutorial Gunji and look forward to the next step(s).

Spaceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 24 September 2013, 20:37:35 »
Marauder assembled and Primed. I am very excited to participate with this! Weather Cooperated with me so I could prime today.
Demo Agent #567 Binghamton, NY (Southern Tier)
FLGS: Jupiter Games - Johnson City, NY

Southern Tier BattleTech Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/STierBattleTech/

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #29 on: 24 September 2013, 20:48:59 »
Wow. That basecoat thing is spectacular.  :)
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith