Author Topic: WOB RAT's question  (Read 2664 times)

Maniac Actual

• Lieutenant
    • checkout my fantasy and SF writing
WOB RAT's question
« on: 09 October 2011, 22:04:57 »
OK, simple question.

When making an OPFOR for our last campaign, the GM (who is way into the fiction, and seems to know details I've never been ablt to glean) stated that different WOB divisions are Class A or B.  Further, he typified some of them as being mech heavy (Shadow Divisions come to mind)  I'm assuming he's referring to the catagorizations from Blake Documents. 

Is there any basis for this?  I know he said the Shadow Divisons were heavy on mechs as the have so many Maneai Domini in them, and they're made to "plug in" to a mech.  Beyond that.... Is there any way to make an OPFOR 'historically accurate' in terms of it's TO&E based on weather it is a CLass SD / A /B unit, etc?  If so, where would I find this info?

Thanks!
AS may be as much a representation of the Battletech universe as the original tabletop game is, but if you tell someone "I'm playing Battletech" chances are, if they know what that is, they're going to take you to mean the original tabletop game. - Steve Restless

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: WOB RAT's question
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2011, 18:24:57 »
Hello,

The most recent RATs for Word of Blake appeared in Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents. Those tables included the various "equipment levels" the Word's forces had access to, as well as a breakdown of which Divisions received which Equipment ratings.

Hopefully, that helps.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

Maniac Actual

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2011, 21:21:01 »
Hello,

The most recent RATs for Word of Blake appeared in Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents. Those tables included the various "equipment levels" the Word's forces had access to, as well as a breakdown of which Divisions received which Equipment ratings.

Hopefully, that helps.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

Herb  - I'm not asking about equipment levels; rather, I'm asking about percentage of types - i.e. how many mechs are in a class SD unit vs a class A unit, as found in those Blake document RAT's.

However, based on the rather ambiguous answer, I'll assume my GM was extrapolating and leave it at that.
AS may be as much a representation of the Battletech universe as the original tabletop game is, but if you tell someone "I'm playing Battletech" chances are, if they know what that is, they're going to take you to mean the original tabletop game. - Steve Restless

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2011, 00:09:59 »
Hello,

We have begun keeping that information quite vague, to enable more flexibility for scenario designers/game masters. Hard numbers grow cumbersome, after all.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

Maniac Actual

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2011, 08:06:32 »
Hello,

We have begun keeping that information quite vague, to enable more flexibility for scenario designers/game masters. Hard numbers grow cumbersome, after all.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs
That's what I thought, Herb.  But, at the risk of pushing too hard, do the shadow divisions have more mechs than a regular divison, and a reg division than a protectorat militia division, generally speaking?  No hard #s required :) 

Thanks again!

MA

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2011, 20:46:47 »
Hello,

Internally, we have largely treated Shadow Divisions as Regiment-strength 'Mech forces. This would make them the equivalent of a "Kappa" formation in the ComStar FM parlance. "Needs of the plot" could, however, trump this from time to time.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

Maniac Actual

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2011, 21:58:35 »
That's what I was looking for.  Thanks!

MA

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 18 October 2011, 01:47:16 »
Hello,

Just remember that's not an ironclad statement. If you're GM decides to mix it up, it falls well within the rights of a GM to do so... ;)

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs